LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Premier Sailings of the MS Koningsdam

LAFFNVEGAS

Thanks Lisa for taking the time to prepare such an informative live review for HAL's new ship and taking the time to answer so many questions. Have a safe trip home and some much needed rest after the long flight back.

Disembarkation was a bit weird. It ended up we had credit due to canceling a tour and I had pre purchased everything so we ended up have about 100 credit so figured just go to the Neptune to see if they can just credit my credit card on file. Would you believe that for well over 40 minutes there was no Concierge in the Neptune finally at 8:45 they called our number. We figured they are to have to credit us. Friends from CC came in and said that we could go quick and look at the Pinnacle Suite. Even though they were cleaning I too a couple of quick pics

45b6e301aace7af83a91d3c0887164e8.jpg

a5e488c41e3799205c403108aaffc03a.jpg

7b65c447bfdba4d310464c997a2f265e.jpg

9675b3874f03fe46c48b12c0d9e21cd5.jpg

Sorry they really not want us walking in any further ☹️

We really appreciated your taking the time for the great photos and especially for your candor and honest opinions about the ship. There will always be some rough spots on a new ship and some features we don't agree with. Time will tell - I'm withholding my opinions until we get the chance to sail on her in 6 months!

Thank you so much again!

Thank you for taking the time, trouble and the expense for your thoughtful, considered and generally wonderful review!

Thank you also for remembering to pack your sense of humour - far too often lost on these boards.

I am always amazed at members who rate a ship before ever having set foot onboard. It's the equivalent of my reviewing the new Beauty and the Beast Movie which I HATED. Of course, it's being released this Christmas.....

Safe travels.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

I am always amazed at members who rate a ship before ever having set foot onboard. It's the equivalent of my reviewing the new Beauty and the Beast Movie which I HATED. Of course, it's being released this Christmas.....

That's a very poor analogy.

A better analogy would be someone having negative feelings about going to the latest "blood & guts" movie coming out, because they have been to several of that type in the past, and know they always hate them. These are people who have experience, know what they like and dislike, and have a basis on which to make an evaluation.

People who have been on many cruises, on a variety of HAL ships, as well as other cruise lines have a basis for deciding what makes them happy when they cruise---or less happy.

There have been sufficient reports about the Koningsdam on which to make a reasonable evaluation as to whether or not this is a good match for them.

A better analogy would be someone having negative feelings about going to the latest "blood & guts" movie coming out, because they have been to several of that type in the past, and know they always hate them. These are people who have experience, know what they like and dislike, and have a basis on which to make an evaluation.

People who have been on many cruises, on a variety of HAL ships, as well as other cruise lines have a basis for deciding what makes them happy when they cruise---or less happy.

There have been sufficient reports about the Koningsdam on which to make a reasonable evaluation as to whether or not this is a good match for them.

The single biggest reservation I have regarding giving HAL a try again (after my 50 year hiatus) is that their suite perks are sorely lacking when compared to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL. Honestly, the smoking issue is secondary.

... but I guess that's two strikes, right off the bat! Nonetheless, I'm determined to keep a positive outlook and have a good time come November! :)

Tom

I, too, have appreciated the commentary (good & bad) and photos about the ship. We board the Koningsdam on 5/9 for 3 weeks and are looking forward to it. I'll give a report from the perspective of travelling in "steerage" as we'll likely have an inside cabin on a lower deck.
I'll be looking forward to your report. We've not done inside yet, but are considering it so that we can cruise more often. ;)

Thanks for following along, I will still be doing some reporting in before we get home and will let you know how disembarkation goes
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Lisa. For the uninitiated, it was informative and delightful. So glad you had a great trip. Safe travels home! (another lurker :cool:)

We did finally get our Inaugural plate this evening and we will be hanging it up with all of our other Hal plates.

Thanks for following along, I will still be doing some reporting in before we get home and will let you know how disembarkation goes [emoji2]

Thanks for all your postings and replies.

Good to hear you got your plate.

Have a safe trip home Lisa and Tom.

Excellent post!

Well reasoned by a well seasoned cruiser.

Thank you everyone, I was being so careful of Internet minutes I actually had over 300 minutes still left. I had set up a special plan with Verizon Wireless for my phone that the service has been great everywhere and we have been face timing with our son daily so he has gotten to see some of the ship [emoji6]

I don't think I posted the pictures of the SS Signature Suite if I did sorry for the repeat this past week has sort of blurred together

Our cabin steward was cleaning it so he let me in to take pictures. I have to say that it is quite disappointing and once people see photos will most like either move up to a Neptune or stay with a Vista Suite or even regular Balcony. The dressing area is a huge waste of space. There is a day bed that works as a couch but would be so uncomfortable to sit on. The bathroom is drastically smaller than the Neptune with the shower stall being about 8 inches smaller. It's really about the size of the previous shower of a Signature Suite but most would use the bathtub as a shower or at least I did just for the room. U fortunately this cannot be done there is a hand held spray but down low so to take showers one must use the shower . The tub length is also shorter in the SS compared to the Neptune. By the end of the week I became quite comfortable with the Neptune. The shower was great and easy to use. I will say the first thing we both noticed was the step up to the bathroom was at least an inch maybe two higher.

Of course there were lots of growing pains going on.

Here are the pics of the Signature Suite

9e9ac41d29b020605d5cf537249a7956.jpg247356195732da69cca119f95caf8b1c.jpg3ccbd6c1a4aca861669e1057e9519c9b.jpg0d090ce788e1fe3e4f3d5ae0b5df78cd.jpg0d4bbcaab509229ce206fb92f6c96238.jpg10d4b9a6a7d1a6e7ddeaa5652b668f3e.jpg

Lisa - we booked a Vista suite for Dec. Based on what you just posted, is it worthwhile at all to upsell to a Signature? Or should I hold out for a Neptune?

I have a feeling that the ship will be sold out anyway, so it really may not matter, but just wanted to be prepared

DaveOKC

Excellent post!

Well reasoned by a well seasoned cruiser.

Sorry .... I don't buy either of your arguments.

I think that I also have sufficient cruising experience to know of what I speak.

Unlike others on these boards, I have maintained my enthusiasm for cruising and my excitement for trying new things. I refuse to define myself by one cruise line and by one particular type of ship. I have found pleasure in nearly all of the ships I have sailed on.

I have sailed on ships as with as few as 100 passengers and as many as 5000. I usually try to board with few preconceptions.

Who knows - I may hate Koningsdam for any variety of reasons.

But until I experience it in person, I will reserve comment.

Such negativity as I have observed doesn't make you "well seasoned", it makes you calcified and rigid.

Lisa and Tom,

I just got home. Flight was smooth but long.

It was wonderful meeting you and Tyler Rose.

Hope you enjoyed your tour and night in Rome at Visconti Palace.

Have a safe flight home.

Overall it was a great cruise. Some minor hiccups that will work out.

Loved the ship.

Kathy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone, I was being so careful of Internet minutes I actually had over 300 minutes still left. I had set up a special plan with Verizon Wireless for my phone that the service has been great everywhere and we have been face timing with our son daily so he has gotten to see some of the ship [emoji6]

I don't think I posted the pictures of the SS Signature Suite if I did sorry for the repeat this past week has sort of blurred together

Our cabin steward was cleaning it so he let me in to take pictures. I have to say that it is quite disappointing and once people see photos will most like either move up to a Neptune or stay with a Vista Suite or even regular Balcony. The dressing area is a huge waste of space. There is a day bed that works as a couch but would be so uncomfortable to sit on. The bathroom is drastically smaller than the Neptune with the shower stall being about 8 inches smaller. It's really about the size of the previous shower of a Signature Suite but most would use the bathtub as a shower or at least I did just for the room. U fortunately this cannot be done there is a hand held spray but down low so to take showers one must use the shower . The tub length is also shorter in the SS compared to the Neptune. By the end of the week I became quite comfortable with the Neptune. The shower was great and easy to use. I will say the first thing we both noticed was the step up to the bathroom was at least an inch maybe two higher.

Of course there were lots of growing pains going on.

Hi Lisa: Thanks so much for posting the pictures of the SS suite. We will be on the KDam for 2 months this fall in an SS room. We booked it instead of the Neptune because of the dressing room/table area. I love that part of the room. I agree that the day bed is kind of weird but we rarely sit on it anyway. So I am even more excited now. As they say different strokes for different folks!! I hope you had a safe journey home and again thank you so much for all your posts.

ps..for any of you that like the Spin classes, there is a dedicated Spin room.

It will be interesting to get your impressions of the K-D "official" videos posted on other threads, to see if they capture the image of the ship you actually sailed on. Once you wake up and pack - maybe when jet lag hits you at 4am stateside?

Looking forward to your wrap-up on the whole experience, more than just the ship itself but what does this baby fresh out of the incubator really feel like on its first sail-away.

Did the crew tell you how they were selected for this most interesting new experience? Did they reveal any changes for the good or bad from their working perspective, or even their accommodations down there on A deck?

Lisa

Can you talk a little about the new uniforms? From some photos it looks as if there are some new ones in the Lido at least.

Thanks for your great thread!

Actually all of the uniforms are new on the Koningsdam for every crew except officers. Did not see change in theirs. They all have a small touch of Dutch orange by way of the orange button on their collar.

For the most part I liked the new uniforms they look very fresh and European.