31.9 Million!!

Why are people so obsessed with what other people make?

The CEO of TripAdvisor, Stephen Kaufer, made over $39,000,000 in 2015. TripAdvisor owns, among other sites, Cruise Critic... Why hasn't the OP revealed his or other CEO's salaries? Will the OP boycott CBS since Les Moonves made over $65,000,000?

Who cares?

Jim

I hope you say the same when people complain about a truck driver who makes 80 grand, or auto plant worker making 60+ grand, or any other working stiff. I am like you, I cannot care less what CEO's make, but I also hate when people question what every day working people make such as a teacher, a police officer, a Railroad worker, truck driver, auto plant worker. It seems far to normal to question these salaries.

I think its great. Good for him and to compensate him for the many hours he works and time he gives up with his family. I want CEOs to be paid a lot so their company delivers a quality product and earns lots of money and stays in business and continues to offer thousands of people jobs they would not otherwise have. Bravo FDR.

I think its great. Good for him and to compensate him for the many hours he works and time he gives up with his family. I want CEOs to be paid a lot so their company delivers a quality product and earns lots of money and stays in business and continues to offer thousands of people jobs they would not otherwise have. Bravo FDR.

There is no logical connection between the amount the CEO gets paid and the quality of product delivered by the company. Judging by many of the posts in this forum, that correlation does not apply to NCL in its current form.

The quality of product has dropped in many peoples' opinion, the amount they pay for that product has increased substantially.

FDR's shareholders like him - his customers not so much (and he has created a large group of ex-customers (myself included), who are not prepared to be treated like mugs/walking wallets/cash cows.

I do not see NCL as value for money now - I have got much better bangs for my buck from Princess and P&O recently.

Good for FDR & others getting their jumbo paycheck - he is surely happy; and, yes - many here couldn't care less & none of our business ;) It is reasonable to assume some of it "trickled" into his pocket - what about the rest ? Perhaps, it's buried deep in the audited annual financial statement and/or SEC filings, whatever :rolleyes:

On the other hand, unhappy & robotic-like crews on NCL ships aren't good either - not the old "Norwegian" way of treating the family onboard - from some of the "random" reviews & feedbacks seen & read here, and, on other sites for that matter - and, that is "probable" cause for sounding the alarm.

Extended family will be on the Getaway next week & shall see things compared to a year ago, we will be back on the Breakaway next month with closed friends, and, we will see for ourselves - sail with an open mind. Not going to burn money blindly wearing shades if the product we cared is on a angled slope.

That's some pretty good compensation to do exactly what the average Joe does every week, work long hours, and miss family time.

And by your logic, the company could have simply just doubled O'Sheehan's pay instead of showing him the door, and gotten the same end result of a quality product and happy shareholders. I'll bet O'Sheehan could have done even better than FDR with a little extra incentive. I did not realize money was all it took. And by merely doubling O'Sheehan's pay, rather than paying Del Rio nearly 3 times what O'Sheehan was making, think of the money they'd be saving every year in salary and bonuses. What were they thinking!

I hope you say the same when people complain about a truck driver who makes 80 grand, or auto plant worker making 60+ grand, or any other working stiff. I am like you, I cannot care less what CEO's make, but I also hate when people question what every day working people make such as a teacher, a police officer, a Railroad worker, truck driver, auto plant worker. It seems far to normal to question these salaries.

I AM a working stiff... a truck driving working stiff, and I don't question anyone's salary. That's the point. It's none of my business what the CEO of Norwegian makes, or the lady that makes my Dunkin' Donuts coffee every morning, or anyone else I come in contact with on a daily basis.

I care about two salaries-mine and my wife's. That's it... Anyone else, earn as much as you can. I promise, I won't be jealous!

Jim

I AM a working stiff... a truck driving working stiff, and I don't question anyone's salary. That's the point. It's none of my business what the CEO of Norwegian makes, or the lady that makes my Dunkin' Donuts coffee every morning, or anyone else I come in contact with on a daily basis.

I care about two salaries-mine and my wife's. That's it... Anyone else, earn as much as you can. I promise, I won't be jealous!

Jim

Very well said.

You can bet that if I were compensated 31 million last year that I wouldn't be putting up with all the headaches he must have as ceo

Ok I admit it I would probably do it for 5 years tops....pay my income taxes on it....and live off it for the next 30 years. Lol

Jim

Exactly

I have no jealousy at all regarding how much others have.....

Because THEY don't have what I have[emoji173]️

Jim

I agree 100%, but a lot of people unfortunately don't think like us. They get jealous of a CEO salary and then knock people who they deem over paid. I hate that, I really do.

Jim

Excellent point, and agreed!

What's funny about this thread is that there's only one post of someone saying something negative sort of and all the rest are all hooray who cares what he makes. No ones really complaining just the people complaining about people possibly complaining lol.

I will jump in and say I don't give a rats patootie what FDR makes. I'm just happy I'm not his accountant and have to do his taxes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is no logical connection between the amount the CEO gets paid and the quality of product delivered by the company."

- There's definite incentive if he wants a second tour of duty and even higher payday.

"FDR's shareholders like him - his customers not so much (and he has created a large group of ex-customers (myself included), who are not prepared to be treated like mugs/walking wallets/cash cows."

- NCL's new strategy of offering the best prices earlier in the booking cycle with incentives vs going bargain basement with price toward the end is actually paying off. Bookings and revenue are up substantially. It seems to be attracting more crusiers. As a new cruiser and planner, I can say I've done my research. The only cheaper line than NCL is Carnival in most of the analysis I've done when you are comparing similar ships/routes. That is after all the nickeling and diming.

"That's some pretty good compensation to do exactly what the average Joe does every week, work long hours, and miss family time."

- I'm not talking working late or weekends. I'm talking about being away from home for more than half the year in many cases when you add up the travel time. I'm talking about never really being off duty, ever.

Salaries for CEO's are set by the Board of Director's. They have goals to reach and if they do, they will be well rewarded. If not, they will be fired and/or salaries reduced! The

question I have is will we continue booking NCL, as we continue to be nickel and dimed to death, as they make their offerings less and less. For example, wines on the UBP are

being reduced to $7-9 bottles of wine being offered by the glass. Value for the UBP not

very good!

Agreed. Don't know why people are fixated on what someone makes. If you don t like what FDR makes maybe you should reevaluate your spending, because I am sure almost all of us shop, dine, use banks, have prescriptions, etc that their CEO makes millions too.

To me and what truck driver said earlier is the only paycheck you should worry about is yours and your spouse. What others make that's their business.

I agree with you to a certain point. Salaries usually fall into the MYOB category. None of our salaries are publicly divulged for others to see. I don't begrudge anyone the money they make. I have no problem with stars who make millions for a few days work to make a movie or CEOs who guide multimillion or billion $ companies for millions per year. It's a huge responsibility.

But I think some of you are disingenuous. If you left your current job and then later found out your replacement, with the same qualifications you had, was offered double your pay, would you merely shrug? If you found out the boob working across the isle that you have to advise and help out of jams at every turn was making $25,000 more than you? I think you'd care.

I have no skin in this game except that I enjoy the NCL product, and if the company fails, than I will have to find a new cruiseline. Now if I were an NCL stock investor, or a stock analyst, then how the company/CEO runs the business, and even what it pays it's CEO and top brass becomes of interest to me, and probably is a matter of public record in the information given out to shareholders and analysts and does not fall into the realm of MYOB.

I don't follow the common pay scales for CEOs, but it strikes me as probably pretty unusual for one CEO to replace another at double or more the salary of the previous. ( If the pay figures seen here are accurate. ) I know it would be highly unusual in the general workplace. Is FDR that much of a wonder boy to justify that? So I don't think it is out of bounds to discuss here the publicly available salary info of NCLs CEO on the "NCL" board, and whether or not he merits that pay.

Edited by punkincc

I agree with you to a certain point. Salaries usually fall into the MYOB category. None of our salaries are publicly divulged for others to see. I don't begrudge anyone the money they make. I have no problem with stars who make millions for a few days work to make a movie or CEOs who guide multimillion or billion $ companies for millions per year. It's a huge responsibility.

But I think some of you are disingenuous. If you left your current job and then later found out your replacement, with the same qualifications you had, was offered double your pay, would you merely shrug? If you found out the boob working across the isle that you have to advise and help out of jams at every turn was making $25,000 more than you? I think you'd care.

I have no skin in this game except that I enjoy the NCL product, and if the company fails, than I will have to find a new cruiseline. Now if I were an NCL stock investor, or a stock analyst, then how the company/CEO runs the business, and even what it pays it's CEO and top brass becomes of interest to me, and probably is a matter of public record in the information given out to shareholders and analysts and does not fall into the realm of MYOB.

I don't follow the common pay scales for CEOs, but it strikes me as probably pretty unusual for one CEO to replace another at double or more the salary of the previous. I know it would be highly unusual in the general workplace. Is FDR that much of a wonder boy to justify that? So I don't think it is out of bounds to discuss here the publicly available salary info of NCLs CEO on the "NCL" board, and whether or not he merits that pay.

Comparing ones own workplace and what other people make is a moot point. That is something that personally affects us. What a cruise line CEO makes doesn't affect us. NCL is not failing and will not fail. The cruise industry is having banner financial years.

Comparing ones own workplace and what other people make is a moot point. That is something that personally affects us. What a cruise line CEO makes doesn't affect us. NCL is not failing and will not fail. The cruise industry is having banner financial years.

Whether or not any company will fail is unknown. Do you have a crystal ball that tells you that their current business plan will not get them into trouble down the road? I made the point of saying that it is "of interest" to anyone who is a shareholder, of which many of us here apparently are, or even just a mildly curious and interested customer. Anything related to how they conduct business, and yes, even how they pay their top brass, which I assume is public info, is "of interest" on an NCL discussion board.

So, why is anyone who wishes to discuss the topic here on CC, on the NCL Board, harassed by those who keep nagging about MYOB? Those who don't care about the topic, and have no interest in discussing it, should just move along instead of constantly yapping at the heels of those who do.

Didn't they used to say the same thing about the oil industry in parts of Texas and Oklahoma?;)

If Del Rio does pull this off and is successful in achieving his vision for NCL I think everyone will agree that he earned every cent he was paid.

The downfall of most companies was set in motion years before, as well as their success.

Del Rio may or may not be damaging the company's future. I don't know. A rising tide lifts all boats, don't mistake success when the entire industry is succeeding for individual success.

Jim

Agreed

You go out and earn it and do an honest days work for it . You deserve it. No matter how much.

A few people I know have a big issue with what I make and my benefits . I tell them they were very free to put in an application where I work and then spend the next 32 years doing what I did , working the hours I did under the conditions I did. Hell they think they are so great they might have even gotten the job instead of me .

But they didn't, and I did , so what can I tell you?

If you're really interested, here is a good article about how CEOs are compensated. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/stocks/04/111704.asp

I've long thought that the best way to keep employees interested and working hard is to give them a piece of the company in the form of stock (if traded) or bonuses on performance. Let's face it, the higher educated, well trained, reliable and experienced person is much harder to replace than a new worker. They should be compensated as such.

I did learn something from the article (that I had probably forgotten since college) about stock options vice ownership.

Vic

Most of what FDR got was stock and options. Here's the breakdown:

$1,837,500 - Cash salary

$10,276,315 - Grant date value of restricted stock unit awards

$17,752,083 - Grant date value of stock option awards

$1,903,799 - Cash incentive bonus

$24,000 - Cash automobile allowance

$12,975 - 401(k) employer matching

$8,688 - Medical premium

$30,000 - travel expense allowance

$12,000 - personal allowance

$20,000 - tax preparation service

$20,000 - country club fees

$12,988 - life insurance premiums, cruise benefits, etc.

Most of what FDR got was stock and options. Here's the breakdown:

$1,837,500 - Cash salary

$10,276,315 - Grant date value of restricted stock unit awards

$17,752,083 - Grant date value of stock option awards

$1,903,799 - Cash incentive bonus

$24,000 - Cash automobile allowance

$12,975 - 401(k) employer matching

$8,688 - Medical premium

$30,000 - travel expense allowance

$12,000 - personal allowance

$20,000 - tax preparation service

$20,000 - country club fees

$12,988 - life insurance premiums, cruise benefits, etc.

Well when you look at it that way , hes really getting screwed *LOL* He should demand a raise