Some Thoughts about our recent Prinsendam Cruise

Hlitner

Thought we would add some comments on the various posts. Regarding the inconsistent quality of steak in the Pinnacle, this was not an issue in the MDR. The steak served there was generally excellent (especially the filet mignon) and the cut of beef in my Beef Wellington was perfection (it almost melted in my mouth). I also had a steak sandwich at an MDR lunch one day and it was a huge piece of ribeye on an excellent bun. Not sure what is happening to the Pinnacle (we have had steak quality issues on other ships) but hope that Seattle puts some effort into returning the Pinnacle to the consistent quality venue we have enjoyed in the past.

As to those taking the cruise soon after drydock, there are going to be some major staff changes (including the Captain and Cruise Director). Our cruise also enjoyed the ship's entertainers (4 singers and 4 dancers) who were among the best matched group we have ever experienced. Not sure whether they are still aboard after the dry dock. Besides the Lido renovation, during the dry dock they are installing an additional large air conditioning unit (Carrier) and also adding an entirely new reverse osmosis water system (to replace the inefficient evaporator system). Some of our onboard friends speculated that this kind of expensive mechanical upgrade might mean that HAL is thinking of keeping the ship for several more years.)

As to my comment about the lack of a pizza oven ending the Lido pizza (not much loss)...my info came from a senior Lido supervisor....so should be reliable.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

HI cOPedxfdore qsk4R. tHaNKsking. I waas in tbutwmm now hom4esndqrecoveringfreeoving. LOTSS OF TYPo ERRORS. wORR4Y,.

Glad to see you posting.

It will take time but with all the expert treatments that are available in this modern age, you will be fine.

Prayers for you.

Thanks Hank. I asked for a specific sandwich (tuna salad on whole wheat) instead of the already made selection (Zaandam) and the lido steward said that they will make specific sandwiches on request. Just let him know that morning and it would be ready for you at lunchtime.

Glad to read your very honest comments. We are embarking in Ijmuiden on June 16 and will be looking out for the improvements mentioned here. We would love to hear comments from those getting on board this month after the drydock.

A quick summation of our 55 day (we now have spent exactly 200 days on this ship) day cruise is Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.

What did you do with the real Hank? How did you hack into his account?

Hank,

Thanks for the additional info on the dry dock. Hope they can get it all done by the 16th. &hat sure does sound like some extensive work, hopefully that will give her a few more years.

Glad to read your very honest comments. We are embarking in Ijmuiden on June 16 and will be looking out for the improvements mentioned here. We would love to hear comments from those getting on board this month after the drydock.

So here is the story about Istanbul. It was scheduled to be an overnight stop, but a few short days before our arrival there were further bombings and the State Department issued a country-wide travel warning for Turkey. So the cut our visit to only a few hours on the 2nd scheduled day and substituted the Port of Myrina (on the island of Limnos) for the previously scheduled first day in Istanbul. We were only docked about 4 hours in Istanbul which was enough time to disembark and embark passengers beginning or ending their segment at that city. No other passengers or crew were permitted to leave the ship. The Captain (Tim) was able to arrange to do a several hour cruise through the Bosphorus (round trip) which is something rarely approved (by the Turkish authorities) for a cruise ship.

As an aside, our visit to Myrina (a favorite port on some Seabourn cruises) was terrific and many passengers seemed to really like this charming Greek Island/Port.

And finally, I will add my rant about the Prinsendam using the remote (and isolated) port of Ijmuiden on their Amsterdam visits. This is a real step down from the port in Amsterdam....and it is also a pain for independent cruisers to access. The only offered explanation for the P'Dam using this port is that it saves HAL some time and money.

Hank

Have a great cruise and throw the ship a kiss on our behalf :);)

So here is the story about Istanbul. It was scheduled to be an overnight stop, but a few short days before our arrival there were further bombings and the State Department issued a country-wide travel warning for Turkey. So the cut our visit to only a few hours on the 2nd scheduled day and substituted the Port of Myrina (on the island of Limnos) for the previously scheduled first day in Istanbul. We were only docked about 4 hours in Istanbul which was enough time to disembark and embark passengers beginning or ending their segment at that city. No other passengers or crew were permitted to leave the ship. The Captain (Tim) was able to arrange to do a several hour cruise through the Bosphorus (round trip) which is something rarely approved (by the Turkish authorities) for a cruise ship.

As an aside, our visit to Myrina (a favorite port on some Seabourn cruises) was terrific and many passengers seemed to really like this charming Greek Island/Port.

And finally, I will add my rant about the Prinsendam using the remote (and isolated) port of Ijmuiden on their Amsterdam visits. This is a real step down from the port in Amsterdam....and it is also a pain for independent cruisers to access. The only offered explanation for the P'Dam using this port is that it saves HAL some time and money.

Hank

I have heard complaints about the port of Ijmuiden being used on this cruise. I agree that they are only using it to save money (and time). Because I didn't want a hassle trying to get there I bought the HAL transfers from the airport. We're staying at a hotel near the airport overnight and using their free shuttle back to the airport to catch our HAL bus to the port.

Anxious to see and sail on the Prinsendam again!

Hank

Seattle must have heard your complaint about Ijmuiden. Next year, the Prinsendam departs from Amsterdam.

Other than the pain of getting to Ijmuiden, it was no problem from us as the cruises were so port intensive, I looked forward to our day in Ijmuiden since we could relax onboard the ship after 10 or 11 hectic ports calls. Safety briefing was at 3:15 PM so it wasn't worth the effort to even visit Haarlem which is 10 min shuttle from the port.

But I agree with you, Amsterdam is better. Plus, I love the long sail out of Amsterdam to the North Sea.

Storylady,

I could not agree more with your comment about sailing from/to Amsterdam through the North Sea Canal! On the Eurodam, it was one of my delightful memories that I was able to experience twice: at the start of our Baltic Cruise and then the Viking Passage.

No doubt time-consuming and at least on one of our passages through the Canal, a tugboat had to be fixed to the bow of the ship as we entered and remained in the Canal due to wind issues--thus not inexpensive to HAL--but a guests' delight to see how the locks operated and the lovely countryside.

Thank you. Thank you.

I've been waiting for some new reviews on the Prinsendam. I've booked a British Isles cruise on her for next year. I like small ship cruising, but I do have some worries about older ships. I've recently been on the Veendam and Statendam. I enjoy reading about what's good, but it's good to know the negatives so I can set my expectations. Can you tell me if there were any mechanical problems?

Thanks, again!

What did you do with the real Hank? How did you hack into his account?

ROFL :). We just try to be honest and balanced. When things are not up to expectations we certainly take our shots. But when things are darn good we are also forthcoming.

Hank

I went to the Pinnacle 3 times on the Grand Med as well as Le Cirque and enjoyed it each time. One filet was a little dry but certainly enjoyable. Maybe its the luck of the draw. I also ate in Canaletto 5 times...obviously I like what they have and the service plus I enjoyed the daily specials.

Terrific cruise overall and one I would do again in a heartbeat.

Thank you. Thank you.

I've been waiting for some new reviews on the Prinsendam. I've booked a British Isles cruise on her for next year. I like small ship cruising, but I do have some worries about older ships. I've recently been on the Veendam and Statendam. I enjoy reading about what's good, but it's good to know the negatives so I can set my expectations. Can you tell me if there were any mechanical problems?

Thanks, again!

Did it last year, 0 problems nothing but good stops, good food, great captain (Roberts, lives in Scotland) you will enjoy it...

Thanks for the update. We are on the Prinsendam in August for the Celtic Explorer. Would be interested in hearing another review from anyone who travels on the ship after the drydock is complete.

Cheers,

I went to the Pinnacle 3 times on the Grand Med as well as Le Cirque and enjoyed it each time. One filet was a little dry but certainly enjoyable. Maybe its the luck of the draw. I also ate in Canaletto 5 times...obviously I like what they have and the service plus I enjoyed the daily specials.

Terrific cruise overall and one I would do again in a heartbeat.

Canaletto is definitely the place to be when scenic cruising in Norway! Fabulous view while you are dining if you have a window seat.

Did it last year, 0 problems nothing but good stops, good food, great captain (Roberts, lives in Scotland) you will enjoy it...

Thanks for responding to my question. I had serious mechanical problems on my last two HAL cruises, so I'm a bit wary.

Thank you. Thank you.

Thanks, again!

On our recent 55 day cruise there were no major mechanical problems. They did have a rupture of a steam pipe (below decks) which was repaired the same day. Nobody would have known about this issue except that we were notified of a short disruption in our water supply (we never noticed).

Edited by Hlitner

Canaletto is definitely the place to be when scenic cruising in Norway! Fabulous view while you are dining if you have a window seat.

Thanks for that tidbit. I am cruising Norway on Prinsendam June 16-July 6. We love Norway! So beautiful and cool.

Thanks for that tidbit. I am cruising Norway on Prinsendam June 16-July 6. We love Norway! So beautiful and cool.

Definitely book a table for Narvik or Geiranger, early seating. It will get dark in Geiranger. Narvik is actually better as you are above the Arctic Circle. When we did this cruise last summer, the cruise director recommended the Canaletto for our sail out of Narvik. What a wonderful evening of dining. Tip: some of thewindows in Canaletto do open. You could open and quickly take a photo and then close them.

The Prinsendam sails from Narvik to Tromso through the fjords. Never goes out to the open ocean. She can do this because of her ability to sail under bridges that larger ships such as the Rotterdam can't.

No mechanical issues as well on my Prinsendam cruise other than a late departure from Fort Lauderdale because of a slight problem. This might have been related to what we heard while having the embarkation lunch in the MDR. Twice, a very loud and very unusual noise with some vibration took place. My traveling companion was alarmed; I was concerned. Upon leaving the MDR, we spoke to an Assistant DR Manager about this. He said that it was just the engines being started. Such was not noted again.

In our bathroom, the hot water was usually more warm than hot. But, it was not unpleasant when bathing.

For her age, the Prinsendam is a remarkable ship.

Edited by rkacruiser

No mechanical issues as well on my Prinsendam cruise other than a late departure from Fort Lauderdale because of a slight problem. This might have been related to what we heard while having the embarkation lunch in the MDR. Twice, a very loud and very unusual noise with some vibration took place. My traveling companion was alarmed; I was concerned. Upon leaving the MDR, we spoke to an Assistant DR Manager about this. He said that it was just the engines being started. Such was not noted again.

In our bathroom, the hot water was usually more warm than hot. But, it was not unpleasant when bathing.

For her age, the Prinsendam is a remarkable ship.

On our recent 55 day cruise there were no major mechanical problems. They did have a rupture of a steam pipe (below decks) which was repaired the same day. Nobody would have known about this issue except that we were notified of a short disruption in our water supply (we never noticed).

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really love the itinerary for my cruise and I hope to get to go.

I have a question for these recent Prinsendam passengers - when do you think would be a good time for a Meet & Greet - I have 3 to organize, and the cruises are port intensive (October.November), so sea days are few and far between. I imagine there will be speakers and port talks on the sea days, too, so would say, 10 or 11 in the morning be good times, or would they be better in the afternoons?

Thanks for your advice.