Sailaway Party

Being frequent Disney cruisers, part of our day one ritual is the sailaway party. I have seen photos from the Dreamworks Sailaway which looks a little sad but noticed on a Cruise Compass that Bugsy just posted that there is a sailaway on the Pool Deck too. Is that more fun? Really just like the ritual of actually "sailing away" and it being announced and used to being on the pool deck. So I'm curious as to what this one is like. Thanks in advance!

I'm curious about this one too. We have only cruised Disney and sailaways on Disney are a big deal. We're on the Explorer soon and our departure time is actually during dinner. Will we miss something? What do the RCCL ships do for sailaway?

The event can include a casual "meet and mingle" sail away with members of your Cruise Critic Roll Call, often at the pool deck bar.

If you want to appear on the RCI Cruise in Review video, take part in the sail away line dancing. :cool:

Sailaway activities are normally organized thru your ROLL CALL. Join the roll call for your cruise and help organize the activities. When sailing from Port Everglades you can contact Port Fever and request a WAVE. You can then review your sailaway on their web site. Normally those who choose to participate wear carnival beads, favorite team shirts, crazy hats....something to identify them as members of the roll call. Sailaway is as fun as you make it. Yes, there are normally ship sponsored activities around the pool/bar but we choose to join our roll call members at an aft bar.

If you are on a dreamworks sailing (Oasis, Allure, FOTS ....) then there will be a "organized" sailaway party, which has the characters come out and do some dances.

BUT compared to DISNEY, it is sad. Very sad.

There are characters, but do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT expect a Disney quality experience. Take the characters for what they are worth, but this is not going to be a magical experience like it is on Disney.

I don't know how to post pictures here. I checked a pic from FOTS sail away. There are people at the pool, with the odd person standing on the deck.

My sailaway pictures from Dream show hundreds in attendance and a packed crowd trying to watch the show. Children are given streamers to wave around and everyone has a blast.

If you are on a dreamworks sailing (Oasis, Allure, FOTS ....) then there will be a "organized" sailaway party, which has the characters come out and do some dances.

There are characters, but do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT expect a Disney quality experience. Take the characters for what they are worth, but this is not going to be a magical experience like it is on Disney.

Would love to see the DreamWorks Sailaway Party, but wouldn't give up the experience of dancing/seeing the ship depart from Ft. Lauderdale for it.

Does it take place at Boardwalk? Can you see the sea?

Would love to see the DreamWorks Sailaway Party, but wouldn't give up the experience of dancing/seeing the ship depart from Ft. Lauderdale for it.

There is a very small view of the sea from the Boardwalk.

On FOTS, it's done by the pool area. One or two characters and then the ship's entertainment staff. Some pre-recorded music and sound track played through the ship's speaker's. Some watch from the pool A few watch from the upper deck.

IIRC on Oasis, it was done at the Aqua Theatre. It was far from a packed crowd, and lots of seats. It may not even have been done at the Everglades sailaway. If memory serves, they did it at the first Island sailaway. I had to choose between that and my invitation to the heli-pad party. I chose wrong :( My kids wanted the dreamworks party. I got to the heli-pad as the party was ending

Thank you - But just to refocus here. I realize the Dreamworks Sailaway Party is not all that. Not really interested in tht. I'm much more interested in whatever may take place on the pool deck. If there is music and celebration of any kind in the background while I watch us sail away, I'll be happy. Is that what takes place - or not even that.

Being frequent Disney cruisers, part of our day one ritual is the sailaway party. I have seen photos from the Dreamworks Sailaway which looks a little sad but noticed on a Cruise Compass that Bugsy just posted that there is a sailaway on the Pool Deck too. Is that more fun? Really just like the ritual of actually "sailing away" and it being announced and used to being on the pool deck. So I'm curious as to what this one is like. Thanks in advance!

It's been over ten years since I cruised Disney, but I do remember the sailaway parties on Disney to be hand-down much better than Royal's sailaway parties, even the Dreamworks sailaway parties on the Oasis class. You just can't get much better than Pluto dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out".

-- Kevin

It's been over ten years since I cruised Disney, but I do remember the sailaway parties on Disney to be hand-down much better than Royal's sailaway parties, even the Dreamworks sailaway parties on the Oasis class. You just can't get much better than Pluto dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out".

-- Kevin

Really it's not a matter of equaling Disney. I don't expect that. What I like most is fun music a view of the shore and a chance to make our own fun. I saw on the oasis cruise compass that there are 2 sail away parties listed. The sad one with characters in aqua theater and something on pool deck. Just trying to determine what exactly takes place on pool deck at sail away on oasis and allure.

Thank you - But just to refocus here. I realize the Dreamworks Sailaway Party is not all that. Not really interested in tht. I'm much more interested in whatever may take place on the pool deck. If there is music and celebration of any kind in the background while I watch us sail away, I'll be happy. Is that what takes place - or not even that.

To be honest, it's been 3 years since our last RC sailing. i don't want to give you the wrong advice, but I don't recall anything memorable. Usually, I'm at the CC meet up at the designated bar. There are small little groups everywhere drinking and having fun. But I really don't recall any "formal" sail away parties. There may be the activities staff and some music; but it is certainly not a case of a "collective" everybody dancing and having fun together, like it is on Disney.

LOL at Pluto and the Who Let the Dogs Out ... forgot about that~!!

Edited by Queen of Oakville

When we were on Oasis, there was a sailaway with the Dreamworks characters in the Aquatheatre. I can't remember, but perhaps there was a little bit of a water show as well. Every other ship there has been a poolside sailaway party with some line dancing with the CD staff as well as the ship's singers and dancers.

It doesn't sound like anything comparable to DCL, but I don't know how other cruise lines do it, so can't see where RC sits amongst the ranks as far as sailaway parties go.

If the sailaway is important to you, you should attend. There will be variance from sailing to sailing. This week's sailing with people who just want to sit on the sidelines and watch will be different than next week's sailing full of partiers who want to sing and dance.

On some ships, we enjoy just hanging on the balcony and watching the ship pull out.

All of the cruises I've been on have had music playing - in my experience, the atmosphere is often dictated by the weather. We had a cloudy, foggy and windy sailaway once out of Galveston and it was a very subdued "party". It was not fun to be out on the deck. On the flipside, the sailaways that have been on picture-perfect warm, sunny days were much more lively and entertaining.

Jumping on this thread also for more sailaway info

Not directed as this poster specifically, but FYI you don't have to post to follow a thread. Just go to the thread tools menu and choose to subscribe.