AMEX special offers (Royal Caribbean)

Oh well at least I will have a card in my name next time the offer comes around. I was going to wait to apply it until January, guess it's a good thing I did not do that. I did not realize that it was capacity controlled

Did you go into the website to see if it's really gone? I could login the day I was approved for my card and put the last celebrity offer on my card. Then, when the physical card arrived in the mail, I called and paid on my cruise and got the credit.

Did you go into the website to see if it's really gone? I could login the day I was approved for my card and put the last celebrity offer on my card. Then, when the physical card arrived in the mail, I called and paid on my cruise and got the credit.

I added it around 10:00 this morning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is gone on DH who used it but I just added myself on the account so I don't know if it will be on my card of not yet

I don't know about that but the unused OBC will be credited back to whatever card you use when you check in so you could make sure you did NOT use that Amx card if that is the case

Am I understanding this correctly? I can use my Amex to purchase $450 of OBC in order to get the credit, but if I put my MC on file when I check in, any unused OBC will get refunded to the MC? That just doesn't seem right for some reason...

Edited by Mickey_Maniac

Am I understanding this correctly? I can use my Amex to purchase $450 of OBC in order to get the credit, but if I put my MC on file when I check in, any unused OBC will get refunded to the MC? That just doesn't seem right for some reason...

That is correct!!

Yes....that worked for me. I had some money leftover and it was automatically refunded. No need to go to guest services as long as you are ok with it going back to the card used for on board expenses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks - also good tip. I'll use my Delta AMEX on the ship. :-)

Do we need to call C&A or Cust. Svc. to "pre-load" the OBC or can it be done online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want to to have a rewards card on file if you're expecting a refund. You'll lose points/miles /cash when the credit hits. You want to have it go back to a debit card or non-rewards credit card, if you have one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Slightly off topic.

AMEX has a nice offer of 2 free Uber airport rides (up to $65/each). From your Uber app, enter AMEXAIRPORT. Works from the following airports (and not to). Expires 12/31/16.

• LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • McCarran International Airport (LAS)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)

Make sure the Uber app accepts that offer before you count on it. Our daughter's app didn't accept it, but she figured she would straighten it out later with AmEx who always has amazing service. She knew she was meeting all other criteria. Well, AmEx was absolutely no help, much to our dismay and surprise, and Uber said that so many people had used the offer that they were no longer honoring it. It took a few days of complaining, but Uber eventually did reverse the charge.

Edited by LostAgain

Slightly off topic.

AMEX has a nice offer of 2 free Uber airport rides (up to $65/each). From your Uber app, enter AMEXAIRPORT. Works from the following airports (and not to). Expires 12/31/16.

• LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • McCarran International Airport (LAS)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)

used it today on a $75 fare from LGA ended up being $10.03 lol

used it today on a $75 fare from LGA ended up being $10.03 lol

Great to hear. I wonder if AmEx came down on Uber. I know the three different AmEx reps we talked to knew immediately which offer we were referring to (so we assume they were receiving a lot of complaints), but insisted that they could do nothing to help, although our promo email came from AmEx and we met all criteria. They said that our complaint was with Uber. That was the first time I have ever had an issue with AmEx, but boy was not happy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up for this though I didn't expect to spend enough. Came close (more specialty restaurants than planned LOL). Does anyone know if I can purchase Royal Gift Certificates online to spend the rest needed and buy them either for myself or my spouse? It would be like getting them for free.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

I signed up for this though I didn't expect to spend enough. Came close (more specialty restaurants than planned LOL). Does anyone know if I can purchase Royal Gift Certificates online to spend the rest needed and buy them either for myself or my spouse? It would be like getting them for free.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

Read the posts above. Some folks spent it on onboard credit, but I believe the spend amount has to be in one transaction.

Read the posts above. Some folks spent it on onboard credit, but I believe the spend amount has to be in one transaction.

I am not sure if it needs to be spent in one transaction ... just that the transactions all need to be made within a specific time frame.

But I was able to purchase onboard credit for RCCL and did receive the statement credit. Personally, since you may be able to get discounts on the specialty dinners while onboard and can use onboard credit for this, why not just book those restaurants onboard (cancel the ones you've already booked) and buy the needed amount of OBC to get the statement credit. That way it would be all on one transaction if that is of concern to you.

I was able to use the offer when buying OBC for 2 separate cruises. I called RCI and told them I wanted $200 OBC on one cruise and $250 OBC on the other cruise. It showed up on my Amex account as one charge for $450 and I got the $100 credit.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. We already took the cruise!! My question is not about onboard credit as you need to purchase that prior to boarding, my question is about AFTER the cruise can you purchase Royal Gift certificates (which of course can be used either for onboard credit or towards a payment for a cruise) for oneself or ones spouse. I do not believe that all of the $450 needs to be in one charge but I can ask Amex that

I was able to use the offer when buying OBC for 2 separate cruises. I called RCI and told them I wanted $200 OBC on one cruise and $250 OBC on the other cruise. It showed up on my Amex account as one charge for $450 and I got the $100 credit.

Yes, unless the terms say that it has to be in a single transaction, you can spend it across multiple charges.

I just use the "World's Leading Cruise Lines" offer ($100/500 on Carnival, HAL and Princess) this week on a HAL cruise. It was just under $2500 and I have many cards with the offer (it's still available for clipping and valid thru 4/14/17). My TA split payment across 5 cards, then bought $25 OBC on the last card to get it over $500. I got all of the credits today. Gotta love these AMEX deals!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. We already took the cruise!! My question is not about onboard credit as you need to purchase that prior to boarding, my question is about AFTER the cruise can you purchase Royal Gift certificates (which of course can be used either for onboard credit or towards a payment for a cruise) for oneself or ones spouse. I do not believe that all of the $450 needs to be in one charge but I can ask Amex that

I would make a small purchase ($50 seems to be the minimum) initially to make sure the charge comes in with the correct name that will qualify for the offer. You don't want to buy $500 worth and find out that the merchant is not the same as a cruise booking and that you won't get your discount.

BTW not sure how you claim "It would be like getting them for free." Care to explain?

Edited by MisterBill99

What is the offer called to get the $100 credit for $450 OBC? I don't see it, and I know it hasn't been used by anyone on my account. Thanks

As far as I know the offer was only on a few different American Express cards, and it's now over.

You can actually purchase them on the Royal website. And I just spoke with American Express, it does not have to be one purchase as long as the total adds up to at least $450 within the period of time, you get the credit

Yes, but you need to be sure that the merchant that shows up on the charge is the same when you buy gift certificates as it is when you book a cruise or buy excursions, dining packages or OBC.

I'm glad that AMEX confirmed what some of had already experienced.