AMEX special offers (Royal Caribbean)

As far as I know the offer was only on a few different American Express cards, and it's now over.

Emphasis on the "it's now over". I believe it became available on 12/1 (maybe 11/30?) and "sold out" on 12/2, based on posts here.

The Carnival/Princess/HAL/Cunard/Seabourn offer is still available, however (and has been for some time). They must have a tremendous budget for that one! Here's the link if you don't have it on your card. Not that I'm encouraging people to defect from Royal, and certainly not to go to Carnival!

www.americanexpress.com/wlcl

Edited by MisterBill99

Has anyone used this offer to make a cruise payment and then cancelled the cruise?

Just wondering if Amx would take back the $100 credit and you would end up with $350 credit (which is what you actually paid) instead of the $450 that RCL will give you back.

I was lucky enough to have snagged the AMEX offer. Thinking about it, it's funny that there are so many RCI cruisers using AMEX that the offers are all claimed within a week or so, but when you think about it it makes perfect sense. This offer required a $450 RCI spend to get $100 back. With RCI's own Visa it requires $5,000 in RCI spending to get that same $100 value...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to have snagged the AMEX offer. Thinking about it, it's funny that there are so many RCI cruisers using AMEX that the offers are all claimed within a week or so, but when you think about it it makes perfect sense. This offer required a $450 RCI spend to get $100 back. With RCI's own Visa it requires $5,000 in RCI spending to get that same $100 value...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takes more than that with other spending on the RC card. $10K of everyday spending or $5K of spending on RC cruises.

A real no-brainer isn't it? Gotta love it!

Takes more than that with other spending on the RC card. $10K of everyday spending or $5K of spending on RC cruises.

A real no-brainer isn't it? Gotta love it!

I know there are people who love the RC Visa card, but it's really not a very good deal. It's only 1% back on everyday spending and 2% on RCCL. You can get cards that give you 2% back on everything, which can be spent anywhere. And some cards give 3% on travel. Of course, these cards aren't AMEX, either.

There may be higher redemption levels that make the RC card a good deal, or maybe people just like the idea that their credit card reward goes towards vacation. I'm sure that is what makes it appealing to some.

Edited by MisterBill99

I know there are people who love the RC Visa card, but it's really not a very good deal. It's only 1% back on everyday spending and 2% on RCCL. You can get cards that give you 2% back on everything, which can be spent anywhere. And some cards give 3% on travel. Of course, these cards aren't AMEX, either.

There may be higher redemption levels that make the RC card a good deal, or maybe people just like the idea that their credit card reward goes towards vacation. I'm sure that is what makes it appealing to some.

Which card gives 3% on travel? Is there an annual fee?

I actually have that offer "spend 450 get 100" added to my AMEX card. The offer ends mid January. For those who did not add to your card, and don't see it anymore, means they ran out of the offers, but it is not "expired" yet for those who have added it to their card. It is good for current bookings that are not fully paid yet. This is the second offer AMEX has given me for RCI. The first offer was spend 3xx and get 75.

I actually have that offer "spend 450 get 100" added to my AMEX card. The offer ends mid January. For those who did not add to your card, and don't see it anymore, means they ran out of the offers, but it is not "expired" yet for those who have added it to their card. It is good for current bookings that are not fully paid yet. This is the second offer AMEX has given me for RCI. The first offer was spend 3xx and get 75.

I paid off my credit card yesterday with my $100 credit showing for this promotion!

I spent $373 onboard and then $100 online for a gift certificate (for myself!!). Though I didn't receive the automated email advising that I earned the $100 credit and haven't yet seen the $100 credit on my account, Amex agent confirmed that my purchases qualify and that I'll be receiving the credit within 7-10 business days. Hey that's like getting the $100 gift certificate for free. Since we will definitely cruiser Royal again (we love within driving distance of 3 ports), works for me!

When DH called the offer was of course no longer available, but he gave us the $100 credit anyway....we are huge users, Thousands of dollars for business and home, every purchase goes on AMEX. So it pays to follow through even if offers are no longer there.

We always fly free ($50 fee) because of our points....so we love AMEX.

Edited by BecciBoo

When DH called the offer was of course no longer available, but he gave us the $100 credit anyway....we are huge users, Thousands of dollars for business and home, every purchase goes on AMEX. So it pays to follow through even if offers are no longer there.

We always fly free ($50 fee) because of our points....so we love AMEX.

Free bags? $50 fee?

I spent $373 onboard and then $100 online for a gift certificate (for myself!!). Though I didn't receive the automated email advising that I earned the $100 credit and haven't yet seen the $100 credit on my account, Amex agent confirmed that my purchases qualify and that I'll be receiving the credit within 7-10 business days. Hey that's like getting the $100 gift certificate for free. Since we will definitely cruiser Royal again (we love within driving distance of 3 ports), works for me!

I am confused. You spent $373 while on a cruise? That spending does NOT qualify for this offer (the terms say this and the charge posts from the ship name, not Royal Caribbean as reservations/online spending do). If you get the credit, it will be because the rep you spoke to did something special for you. If you had qualified for the offer, you would have seen the email and the credit would have hit within a couple of days of the charge posting on your account.

Which card gives 3% on travel? Is there an annual fee?

The Costco Visa pays 3% on travel. No fee for the card, but you need to be a Costco member (not free).

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card also pays 3% on travel. That one costs $450 a year (ouch!) BUT you get $300 in free travel per calendar year, so if you time it correctly, you can get 2 $300 credits the first year of membership, making it better than free, plus the 3% on travel and other benefits. There's a separate thread here on CC about that card.

For a free card, the AAA Visa from Bank of America pays 3% on travel and does not have an annual fee. It does not appear that you need to be a AAA member. If you have a bunch of money at BofA and Merrill Lynch, you can get a bonus on top of the 3% thru their rewards program.

Edited by MisterBill99

Picking the right credit card can be very challenging. You really need to figure out your spending habits and do the numbers. For people who don't spend much, going through all the leg work is probably not worth it. A simple 2% cash back card is most likely the best bet.

For us, the AMEX Platinum is a no brainer. Especially with their new airline benefits - 50% points back and 5X points on tickets. I may give them a call about this deal for Royal (that apparently no longer exists) - I just paid for a Royal cruise last week with the card.

For cruisers, flying out of Miami with an AMEX Platinum is nice as they have a Centurion lounge in the AA terminal. So if you have a later flight, at least you have a nice place with food and drinks (and spa) to relax.

Edited by BNBR

Picking the right credit card can be very challenging. You really need to figure out your spending habits and do the numbers. For people who don't spend much, going through all the leg work is probably not worth it. A simple 2% cash back card is most likely the best bet.

For us, the AMEX Platinum is a no brainer. Especially with their new airline benefits - 50% points back and 5X points on tickets. I may give them a call about this deal for Royal (that apparently no longer exists) - I just paid for a Royal cruise last week with the card.

For cruisers, flying out of Miami with an AMEX Platinum is nice as they have a Centurion lounge in the AA terminal. So if you have a later flight, at least you have a nice place with food and drinks (and spa) to relax.

It won't show up on your Amex Platinium card. It doesn't show on mine and others. They will not apply it manually either if you read through the thread. Get a free Blue one as it generally shows up there. This year I only used the Blue for the Offers on RCCL and Princess.

It won't show up on your Amex Platinium card. It doesn't show on mine and others. They will not apply it manually either if you read through the thread. Get a free Blue one as it generally shows up there. This year I only used the Blue for the Offers on RCCL and Princess.

I had offers last year on my Platinum Card for Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Oceania, which are all now expired. Currently I have an offer good for World's Leading Cruise Lines good until the end of March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Free bags? $50 fee?

Yes, no bag fees. It usually costs us about $50 for airport fees/taxes, is what I think they term it. We fly their partner Delta. We flew to Seattle/home from Vancouver for our Sept. Celebrity Alaska cruise and they charged us $25 a piece for those fees. We each get 2 free bags.

Edited by BecciBoo

Does anyone know when the next American Express offer may be and if there will be one sometime in January? Thanks!

All you can do is check for offers made on your account online or check for them on an AMEX app on your smartphone of tablet. Even if someone else has the offer does not mean you will get it. I check every week or two for offers I can use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I snagged multiple of these Amex offers across multiple cards/authorized users and am getting ready to book a cruise with a travel agent. Here are a few questions:

1) Are charges made with a TA are charged by RCCL as opposed to the agency?

2) Once I pay the deposit, how can I make multiple $450 payments towards my cruise? Through RCCL's website, the agency?

3) If I pay the cruise in full before final payment date and then need to cancel before the final payment date, I would receive a full refund?

Thanks!

I snagged multiple of these Amex offers across multiple cards/authorized users and am getting ready to book a cruise with a travel agent. Here are a few questions:

1) Are charges made with a TA are charged by RCCL as opposed to the agency?

2) Once I pay the deposit, how can I make multiple $450 payments towards my cruise? Through RCCL's website, the agency?

3) If I pay the cruise in full before final payment date and then need to cancel before the final payment date, I would receive a full refund?

Thanks!

1) Unless your TA is doing some funny business, yes, the charge will show up as RCCL.

2) Thru the TA.

3) You should. AMEX wil probably take back the bonus when the credit his the accounts.

If your deposit is more than $450, remember that you should be able to split that across multiple cards, depending on how agreeable your TA is. And the $450 can be across multiple charges.