Lobster Tails-How many have you ate?

kdziewik

Eating some ridiculous number of lobster tails is definitely not some heroic deed to prevent food waste. It is simply gluttony. But it's probably not a major problem, because I think it's a pretty tiny percentage who would behave that way.

L O L, right??

Well, it's been amusing to read. Honestly, I like steak. Prefer a good cut of steak any day. On a ship, you can't get a good lobster, or a good steak, so I settle for a simple surf and turf. I ask the server to throw a slice of prime rib on my lobster and I'm happy.

I once had two whole lobsters in Canada, and ever since that day, I never looked at a puny lobster tail again with the same mouth watering desire. :D

Curious....

How many lobster tails have you ate in the MDR?

When lobster tails were still free in the MDR I'd eat 2 each time they were offered.

Now that there is a charge for them in MDR I won't be eating them there.

Curious....

How many lobster tails have you ate in the MDR?

Did you mean, "How many lobster tails have you, eight?"

And no, I have not eaten eight. I have eaten one each time it was offered.

Edited by Pudgesmom

Hi All,

This thread does seem to underpin the world's perception that Americans are gluttons.

Pete

It certainly does. Not to mention they will eat and eat and have no consideration if any is left for someone else. The cruise lines should limit each passenger to 1 or 2 and that is it, so that everyone can have some. BTW I've never eaten lobster on a cruise.

It certainly does. Not to mention they will eat and eat and have no consideration if any is left for someone else. The cruise lines should limit each passenger to 1 or 2 and that is it, so that everyone can have some. BTW I've never eaten lobster on a cruise.

It is amazing how CC'ers have hyped the rubbery, fairly tasteless frozen rock lobster tails served on cruise ships. They are hardly worth the effort - certainly not worth pigging out on. A real Atlantic (Maine) lobster - cooked fresh is something totally different. Usually available during summer peak times for $6 to $8 a pound at any good northeast coastal state fish market - and many groceries - and no harder to cook than a boiled egg.

In one dinner...my friend had 8 plus 2 to go, so I am curious how many others have ate at one dinner.

That's nothing. Several years ago I was at Truluck's in Dallas and they had all you can eat lobster. One of the Dallas Cowboys was in there and he ate 33 whole 1.5 pound lobsters in one sitting (not just the tail.) The manager told us it was a record for them - he certainly was the center of attention in the restaurant. I believe the current world's record is 44 1.5 pound lobsters. At any rate, if you really wish to do this kind of eating, I think it is nicer to go somewhere like the Big Texan Steak Ranch and try to conquer their 72 oz steak. Take the stage, have some fun! There have been people who were banned for doing it too many times there. Maybe Carnival should think about offering this sort of experience in the MDR with a table on the stage and some large meal. I imagine quite a few people would find it entertaining.

>SNIP<

Maybe Carnival should think about offering this sort of experience in the MDR with a table on the stage and some large meal. I imagine quite a few people would find it entertaining.

I personally would find it repulsive, to be at dinner and having a competition like that taking place. I would also be embarrassed for the people taking part in that behavior.

The most lobster tails I've eaten at one meal is two. I'm sure that is part of the reason that I don't gain weight on a cruise.

When lobster tails were still free in the MDR I'd eat 2 each time they were offered.

Now that there is a charge for them in MDR I won't be eating them there.

Which line charges for lobster in the MDR?

I personally would find it repulsive, to be at dinner and having a competition like that taking place. I would also be embarrassed for the people taking part in that behavior.

The most lobster tails I've eaten at one meal is two. I'm sure that is part of the reason that I don't gain weight on a cruise.

Next time you cruise take a good look around at the shape of some of your fellow passengers.......Java the hut comes to mind......:eek:

I grew up with lobster fishermen in our family. We had buckets and buckets of lobsters. We would never eat only one lobster, let alone one lobster tail. Lobster holds little appeal to me now. As others have said, the lobster served on cruise ships is a very low quality item and a poor excuse to gorge.

That's nothing. Several years ago I was at Truluck's in Dallas and they had all you can eat lobster. One of the Dallas Cowboys was in there and he ate 33 whole 1.5 pound lobsters in one sitting (not just the tail.) The manager told us it was a record for them - he certainly was the center of attention in the restaurant. I believe the current world's record is 44 1.5 pound lobsters. At any rate, if you really wish to do this kind of eating, I think it is nicer to go somewhere like the Big Texan Steak Ranch and try to conquer their 72 oz steak. Take the stage, have some fun! There have been people who were banned for doing it too many times there. Maybe Carnival should think about offering this sort of experience in the MDR with a table on the stage and some large meal. I imagine quite a few people would find it entertaining.

Which Cowboys player ate all those lobsters at Trulucks? Sounds like something Nate Newton would have done back in the day. He's too skinny to eat that much at one sitting now. ;)

This thread is interesting. You can call me a lobster lover...which means I love real good lobster....not those warm water lobster tails served on most ships. Yes, we often do eat the lobster on cruises (and we cruise over 70 days a year) but it is no biggie. In fact, when we cruise out of FLL, the best lobster we have is the real whole Maine lobster we get at Kelly's Landing....the night before our cruise. There is a local diner here in little Harrisburg PA that serves a lobster tail dinner for $16.95 which includes 2 lobster tails (better then what you get on ships) plus baked potato and veggies. And if we want a decent cold water lobster tail (much more tasty then the warm water variety served on most ships) we can pick up frozen tails at our local market (for less then $15) and easily prepare them for dinner. So, having been an avid cruiser for about forty years....we have never understood the big deal about cruise ship lobster. In fact, on our most recent cruise (2 weeks ago) we quickly realize that the lamb chops or beef wellington (both served on lobster nights) were far superior to the near tasteless warm water tails. One night I did order the Beef Wellington (delicious) and also had the waiter bring me a couple of tails as a side....but did not even finish the 2nd tail because it just did not have that good lobster taste (the melted butter was good).

Hank

OK, Hank, what restaurant in Hgb?

Maybe people don't have lobster all that much at home so they take advantage of it on a cruise. Also, if someone thinks they are not paying for it, they'll eat as much as they can.