Door decorating

AmyChistopher

I always decorate my door but I'll warn you - you will get people on CC who will accuse you of being tacky and classless. Let the haters hate. ;)

Magnets works or I usually use a painters tape that comes off easily and leaves no residue or marks. NEVER leave anything that anyone else would have to clean up and never use anything that causes damage. Other wise you are all good.

We leave for our Alaskan cruise in 10 days - my custom made Moose poster will be on our door. :D

Edited by Jane2357

I love seeing those tacky door displays! The more blingy and home made they are the more they reflect the pure joy of guests at last enjoying their well deserved break.

Best one we ever saw was for a silver wedding....full of bling and a poster in the middle saying

"25 years of arguing over money, family, cars....

25 years of enjoying making up"

Long may door decorators exist!

Been on 4 Celebrity cruises and have never seen anyone decorate their door.

To me, the question is why?

I am not a hater and to be accused of being one because a person may question the motive of decorating a door on a cruise ship by an adult is strange indeed.

By the way, what is "this button plan"?

Edited by pete_coach

I'm not sure about "haters" on CC, but folks always stop by our cabin to compliment my wife on her door decorating. She usually uses packing tape and we pack a bit of goo gone just in case the glue leaves a residue, but it never has.

One hint, she taped a martini glass up there one year very securely, but the attendant had us take it down due to breakage concerns. Very reasonable in retrospect.

Raid the dollar store. Palm trees...hanging monkeys, cheap flip flops. Lots of ideas at the dollar store.

I have never decorated my door and don't believe I ever will. However, here's one time when it would have helped.

On my cruise two weeks ago, my friend could not remember where the room was and walked up and down the corridor so many times that security spotted him and sent someone out to ask if there was a problem. He had even resorted to trying the doorkey in a number of strange doorways in the hope it was our room. It did not help that he could not remember if our room was 7141 or 7241 (or something). Anyway, they pointed him in the right direction and he finally found it.

I'm thinking I should suggest he decorate the door for our August cruise. :D

I am not a hater and to be accused of being one because a person may question the motive of decorating a door on a cruise ship by an adult is strange indeed.

I have only seen door decor on my one and only four day Constellation Caribbean cruise. It was a party cruise full of tavel agents and their clients. the theme seemed to be drinking, drinking...

Never have seen this on European, Panama Canal cruises.

Do people also decorate inside their cabin , their balcony, their hotel room doors precruise?

I just do not get it.

Guess you need to take a few more cruises then or cruise the halls a bit more.

I have been on plenty of Celebrity cruises and have seen plenty of doors decorated. Sometimes even mine.

Why? Because people want to. Because they want to be able to find their cabin if they're in a long hallway. Because it's Christmas or whatever. Just for the fun of it. Cruising is supposed to be fun, remember?

To me, the question is why? Because it is FUN!

I am not a hater and to be accused of being one because a person may question the motive of decorating a door on a cruise ship by an adult is strange indeed. How silly - what is the motive of trivia, or bingo, or dancing on a cruise - because people enjoy it.

By the way, what is "this button plan"? Like you've never seen a typo before.

Maybe you have to be younger to get the "haters got to hate" statement. ;)

Maybe you have to be younger to get the "haters got to hate" statement. ;)

I fully understand what a hater is...your comment of my perceived age was not required. I deal with and have dealt with young people for decades and fully understand their expressions and terminology. Your assumption is off base.

I asked a legitimate question and expected a legitimate answer not an insult. :(

Although I have been on "only" 4 cruises, I have been up and down many passageways on Celebrity S Class ships to visit friends or other cabins and have never seen a decorated door. Does that, in some way, make me lacking in my cruise experience?

Man, some of you folks are sure defensive of your little idiosyncrasies.

Good point. The younger crowd doesn't like to use the word "disagree".

Well I'm not in the younger crowd but like to be "young at heart" - thus my joy of door decorating. :D

Edited by Jane2357

I have always decorated my door on my Royal Caribbean cruises, and plan to on my upcoming Celebrity Solstice cruise.

The first two cruises I went on had very active roll calls. We chatted before the cruise, met for drinks the night before the cruise, planned various activities during the cruise. I made door signs for all who wanted one. We put them on our doors so that we would have an easier time finding our cabins when we went to call on each other, or for the cabin crawl.

For me, it became a ritual. It is part of planning for the cruise. It is fun. And, it makes it easier to find our stateroom; no need to read all of the door numbers as we walk through long hallways.

I usually create something on the computer relevant to the reason for the cruise (this time celebrating DH's retirement), attach a magnetic backing, and hang it on the door.

We really could care less. We would never do it but it certainly does not impact our enjoyment if someone else wants to do it.

I would be very careful with tape on some surfaces. Some tape can leave a permanent mark on the wall and I would not like to see someone being held financially responsible for the damage. Go with the right materials if you are going to do it.

On our last cruise my sister turned 60, so we decorated her doe with a poster and suggested people wish her well. We tied markers to the top of the door so people could use them. It was fun to see where people were from.

It was fun, could care less if someone thinks it is "tacky".

P.S. The side benefit was that my father, who has Alzheimer's, could easily find our set of rooms.

We have never done this button plan on it this time? Do you tape things to the door or use magnets?

Use something that leaves a mark, even sticky residue, and expect a bill.

Use something that leaves a mark, even sticky residue, and expect a bill.

Like we said - there are many ways to decorate your door that does not leave a mark or any residue - no need to worry about a bill. :)

I usually put something on our door....no matter the cruiseline. We sailed the Summit over Christmas and I put a little stocking on our door (using a magnet)....and my husband said "that's it?" It was because of what I read here on Cruise Critic--some people were downright miserable with the comments. From now on, I don't care....this is my cruise, too, and I will decorate my door. :D

Like we said - there are many ways to decorate your door that does not leave a mark or any residue - no need to worry about a bill. :)

They asked about tape, if they use the wrong sort, they have every need to worry about a bill.

I too have been on four Celebrity cruises and have seen doors decorated on all of them. I think it's absolutely fine to express yourself and have fun plus it makes it a lot easier to find your cabin after trying to get your monies worth from the drink packages.:D