Recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. What do I eat?

PoppyandNana

Have a 12 day cruise coming up. Concerned with diet. I'm addicted to X's waffles and used to have them every morning. Of course followed by burger, fries and a beer for lunch followed by several pina colodas. Brief rest then dinner. Oh forgot the specialty coffee with a handful of chocolate chip cookies.

I said used to. Now what do I do? Tempted to just eat whatever, whenever and worry about the consequences when I get home. A1C only 7.2.

What do the rest of you in this situation do?

Have a 12 day cruise coming up. Concerned with diet. I'm addicted to X's waffles and used to have them every morning. Of course followed by burger, fries and a beer for lunch followed by several pina colodas. Brief rest then dinner. Oh forgot the specialty coffee with a handful of chocolate chip cookies.

I said used to. Now what do I do? Tempted to just eat whatever, whenever and worry about the consequences when I get home. A1C only 7.2.

Sorry you have contracted T2, what I do is essentially let X know what my dietary preferences are and stick with it. I do slip once or twice, but stay with my eating habits as if I were home!

You can adapt and learn to eat just as good or if not better when traveling as at home...

bon voyage

A1C over 7.0 can be dangerous. Are you taking meds with that?

When I was first diagnosed as Type 2, I took a class about diabetes and carbs. You just have to find out what foods are high in carbs and adjust your carb intake per meal. For example, just eat 1/3 of the potato, only one piece of bread, and go for some of that sugar free desserts. I know it sucks, but life's just not fair some times. :D If you drink beer, Miller Lite only has 3.2 carbs whereas Bud has around 10-11 carbs. If I'm going to indulge in beer during the day, I eat very little bread/potatoes that evening.

As for the waffles, love them also. Just eat 1/2 of one with sugar free syrup. You have to sacrifice. I've been able to keep mine around 6.5 over the last 5-6 years. If you knew me, you would never know I was a Type 2.

You can control it sometimes with weight loss and exercise. Tough when you are on a cruise. :)

P.S. Wine is very low in carbs. ;)

Only 20% of type 2 diabetics have a1c 7 or under. Sounds like they caught it early. I have the same problem, but watch my diet, and especially my weight, and have done very well. Don't deprive yourself, just eat in moderation. You will be fine.

Edited by Merriem

i'm type 2 also. last october my a1c shot up to 10.2, simply awful! i learned how to eat healthy, always walked an hour a day and my a1c was 6.2 in february and the doctor took me off the pills i was taking, amaryl. but i do still take one insulin injection at bedtime...15 units.

i was so thankful for blu. i could eat lots of healthy foods there. i had cheerios with non fat milk for breakfast. sometimes a scrambled egg. they don't use butter for cooking in blu. i'm sure the mdr would do the same for you. i would also have lots of fresh berries for breakfast too. really yummy!

you just have to get used to not cheating all the time. i don't eat bread, rice, pasta nor potatoes. they just turn to sugar and increase your blood glucose. there's lots of nutritious foods to eat. lots of steamed vegetables, raw vegetables with humus. if you're not eating in blu, just know what's healthy on the mdr menu. there's salmon, chicken, salads other types of fish too. sometimes it's boring to eat healthy, but your body will be greatful. you'll lower your a1c score and probably lose weight too. oh, btw, i would walk around the jogging track every day for at least a mile or mile and a half. exercise is also important with type 2.

7.2 is not a good a1c score. you need top get it down. has your doctor set you up with a dietician? that's very important for your education. if they haven't yet, ask for it before your cruise. it's not hard but you just have to realize there's a lifestyle change here and go for it!

Edited by USC Adventurer

DH is a type 2 and he's able to keep his A1C to down around 6-6.2. As he learned in his diabetes classes at the hospital, there is really nothing he can't eat. It's more about balancing carbs with fiber. He tends to eat high fiber cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, but on a cruise, he'll also have an omelet and sometimes OJ. He has cut back on how often he has ice cream, but between exercise and metformin along with some changes to his diet, he has no restrictions. Unlike Type1 who take insulin and have to be careful with insulin levels, Type 2's on metformin don't tend to get the spikes and dips that can be dangerous. When DH was first diagnosed he lost 30 lbs by cutting back on his calories which helped his numbers. He was diagnosed about 3 years ago.

Edited by BND

As others have said, it is a balancing act. One I have been doing for 16 years. On a cruise I do allow myself to enjoy some treats, A small dessert, even an ice cream from time to time. I am lucky that beer and those sweet coffees do not appeal to me. Thankfully cruise ship portions tend to be smaller but as others have suggested, go light on the potatoes and rice, I do a lot of egg white omlets for breakfast. Add some cheese, some ham, some mushrooms and half a waffle or piece of toast. Burgers and fries and beer at lunch is a thing of the past for a lot of reason. Diabeties greatly increases the risk of heart disease and coranary artery disease so you need to watch your fats as well as your carbs. I learned that one the hard way....Exercise matters. I walk as much as I can, all over the ship, on shore, up and down stairs. It helps burn the sugar created by those carbs. One last thing, complex carbs are much better than refined carbs. Wheat bread, rye bread, brown rice, etc help a lot. Oh, I just had my check up, A1C is 5.8....It can be done, it just takes some thought and effort on your part. Some treats are fine, just don't over do it.

A1C over 7.0 can be dangerous. Are you taking meds with that?

When I was first diagnosed as Type 2, I took a class about diabetes and carbs. You just have to find out what foods are high in carbs and adjust your carb intake per meal. For example, just eat 1/3 of the potato, only one piece of bread, and go for some of that sugar free desserts. I know it sucks, but life's just not fair some times. :D If you drink beer, Miller Lite only has 3.2 carbs whereas Bud has around 10-11 carbs. If I'm going to indulge in beer during the day, I eat very little bread/potatoes that evening.

As for the waffles, love them also. Just eat 1/2 of one with sugar free syrup. You have to sacrifice. I've been able to keep mine around 6.5 over the last 5-6 years. If you knew me, you would never know I was a Type 2.

You can control it sometimes with weight loss and exercise. Tough when you are on a cruise. :)

P.S. Wine is very low in carbs. ;)

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/monitoring/a1c/your-a1c-levels-what-goal-to-shoot

The guidelines have changed, and this is an excellent article with the new range. 7 is just fine.

None of us or at least most of us are not doctors. Giving advice would essentially be practicing medicine w/o a license. Have this discussion with your physician or your nutritionist. I would say that the obvious answer is to reduce your carbs and/or increase your exercise but I assume that you know that.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If you work on exercise and work with your RDN or doctor to learn how to count and maintain the carb intake, that is right for you, you can do just fine.

One trap many type 2 diabetics fall into is the "sugar free" trap. Just because something is sugar free does not mean it's not high in carbohydrates. Just about any cake or sugar free dessert made with flour or other starch is going to be reasonably high in carbs. It can be one, two or even three carb exchanges depending on what else is in the dessert. 15 grams of carbs is one exchange.

I have friends who have wondered why they can't get their blood sugars and A1C levels down. They don't eat sugar but eat sugar free desserts and other non-sweetened, or artificially sweetened baked goods.

Stay away, as much as you can, from overloading on carbs and eat more vegetables, lean meats and other delicious dining room meals. The iced tea is usually unsweetened so that's a good thing. A small squeeze of lemon will make it more enjoyable but don't go overboard.

Being type 2 doesn't mean you can't have carbs or bread or pasta or dessert. Just educate yourself on how much you can have. You will probably have to eat far less than you did but it isn't something that you have to go cold turkey. You actually need some carbs to maintain your health and keep your levels stable. Going "Atkins" can have a very detrimental effect on type 2 diabetics.

The key is to educate, educate, educate and remember that what one type 2 diabetics diet is doesn't mean it's your diet.

I am type 2 and Celiac so I've learned to ask questions, work with professional nutritionists and Dieticians,read labels and understand what I can and can't have. If you are unsure about a dish make sure to ask to speak to the maitre'd or the lido manager. It may also be a good idea to speak to the Maitre 'd right after you board to let them know of your dietary restrictions. In my case the Celiac (Gluten Free) is the hard one. The carbs are not so bad.

Go forth and enjoy! You will still be able to have delicious food but probably less than you had before.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

The short term and long term consequences of out of control eating and drinking in diabetes: difficulty fighting infections, poorly healing sores leading to amputations, neuropathy leading to chronic nerve pain and difficulty walking, kidney damage leading to dialysis, microvascular disease leading to vision loss, microvascular disease contributing to heart disease all of which lead to a shortened life expectancy.

My DH is also diabetic with an initial HgbA1C of 7.1. He take a metformin. His meals focus on proteins with fiber rich veges and salads, a piece of fruit a day, a beer or two a day, rare desserts, complex carbs such as beans, squash, sweet potatoes, whole grains over white breads, white potatoes, overly processed foods. Snacks are nuts, not chips. Does he cheat? On occasion, sure but never daily and never more than one or two at a time. Daily exercise makes a huge difference in blood glucose control. His HgbA1C since diagnosis has ranged from 5.7 to 6.2. He is still overweight, but he never feels deprived with the change in diet. He watched his father have parts of his legs chopped off piece by piece with frequent prolonged hospital stays until he died at age 69.

None of us or at least most of us are not doctors. Giving advice would essentially be practicing medicine w/o a license. Have this discussion with your physician or your nutritionist. I would say that the obvious answer is to reduce your carbs and/or increase your exercise but I assume that you know that.

DON

We are talking to someone who is asking "what would we do." We're not practicing medicine, but "we did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night." :D

One trap many type 2 diabetics fall into is the "sugar free" trap. Just because something is sugar free does not mean it's not high in carbohydrates. Just about any cake or sugar free dessert made with flour or other starch is going to be reasonably high in carbs. It can be one, two or even three carb exchanges depending on what else is in the dessert. 15 grams of carbs is one exchange.

Mike

The above is so TOTALLY true. Please don't think it's OK to eat things just because they are marked "sugar free".

DON

My doctor told me to not eat fats. He admitted he was wrong when he saw the my results of low carb high fat diet.

End of story.

OP, Low carb high fat is very helpful. And satisfying.

For example: I used to love to eat scones. Now I still have a scone (OK, so it is 1/4 of a scone) and some 'clotted cream'. Ok, not some clotted cream, a lot of clotted cream!

I love the burgers at the Mast Grill. I still have that burger, with the onions, mushrooms and cheese.

Just no bun. No problem!

There are so many things to be enjoyed on a cruise, just don't eat the carbs.:)

Hubby has type 2 diabetes. He keeps meticulous records of what he eats and how much he exercises. The biggest lesson he has learned is that he can eat almost anything, but he has to absolutely control the volume...meaning calories.

When we did a two week cruise on Eclipse around Easter, he was careful to keep intake low but didn't deprive himself of tastes of his favorite foods on the ship. He does track his blood sugar level twice a day. If it inches up, he cuts back right away. Also he walks alot. How much? He walks nearly ten miles a day! I could never do that myself, but he would rather work out that hard so he can eat a little more.

He has learned something unsual about meats. His blood sugar isn't impacted by slow roasted meats such as prime rib, but does go up with grilled meats. He has to avoid fried meats completely because that does raise his blood sugar.

I am also a diabetic who is addicted to waffles. I have learned to pace myself, have an egg or veggie omelet, some lean ham and a small waffle with fresh fruit or a small amount of real syrup. On cruises, I usually stick with fresh fruit since their "syrup" is just colored corn syrup and doesn't really satisfy. I find sugar free syrup leaves me unsatisfied and craving sugar for the rest of the day.

For other meals while cruising I try to get in my green veggies, salad and protein before indulging in carbs. I also carry a bag of almonds with me to nibble when I have a drink. The protein and fat help slow the process of turning the alcohol into glucose which helps prevent spikes and lows.

If you have testing equipment, test regularly while you are onboard. You will begin to notice "trigger" foods that spike your numbers. Pasta seems to affect me more than a piece of cake or a candy bar. Enjoy, but in moderation.

To the OP: If you're concerned, go to your doctor and get a referral for a nutritionist. They can give you a list of what is better for you to eat, what you can have in moderation, and what to just avoid. As someone who is also diabetic, it's definitely not the end of the world! You just need to adjust a bit is all. :)

I have it also, was on a Princess cruise and was told at the MDR that a certain desert was sugar free. Later that evening got one to go back to the room at the Buffet and was told it was gluten free, they looked identical. I am at the bottom of the scale so it was not a problem. Others may not be so lucky.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and have seen several nutritionists. Most insurance plans will allow you to see nutritionists and some hospitals even have classes for diabetics.

One important thing I learned was to keep my carb intake to 90-100 per day. Depending on your size, you might need to eat less. Don't save all the carbs for one meal, though. Spread it out evenly throughout the day. There is a wonderful app called "GoMeals." It will tell you the carb count for most foods and even dishes at popular restaurants. You can also keep track of your daily carb intake using the app.

If you are eating carbs at a meal, make sure you also have protein i.e. a slice of bread and an egg. Pies, cakes, cookies, and candy are high in carbs but, believe it or not, ice cream isn't. If fat isn't a problem for you, indulge in ice cream. Every nutritionist I saw said stay away from oatmeal. You can eat all the green vegetables and salad you want, just limit the salad dressing. If you plan on eating more carbs than usual, exercise more. They offset each other.

If you like sweets or want to snack, think about Atkins snack bars. They are low carb and high protein and some flavors almost taste like candy. They have the same carb count as the diabetic bars but cost a lot less.

Follow the advise of your Doctor-take a course from a Diabetes Patient Educator.A local nearby hospital probably offers.They will give you guidelines to follow at home and while traveling.I have had to deal with this firsthand myself.

hello there,i was also told I was type 2 about 1 year ago,this is what I did, not saying it is correct,just what I did,

no more half a slab of chocolate a day only a couple of squares per week.

cut back drastically on the salt intake

no more biscuits with sugar ,only sugar free biscuits

lost 6 kg's

only drink low alcohol beer, not to be tricked into low carb beer as low alcohol means low sugar / I drink 2.3% larger

eat plenty of veges (always have) and eat a lot more salad now.

cut down a lot on milk .

now not type 2 as per tests by doctor

but I still shout myself at least a couple of nice crème brulee's or tiramisu twice a week on a cruise or once a month when I am home.

type 2 is not going to lay you flat if you do something about it, but you can still live a great life.

don't starve yourself from the good like but do it all in moderation,i am 66 and I feel great.

hope this helps

I also am a T2 diabetic-- one who's last A1c was 5.3. :)

As much as I love doctors, many general practitioners know very little about diabetes-- even the so called "nutritionists" will recommend a diet far too high in carbs than what most T2s can manage. I recommend reading the forums at the American Diabetes Association website to find out how real people are successfully managing the disease. Personally, I follow a low carb moderately high fat diet. I've lost 70 pounds and achieved that normal A1c. But I've been really disciplined about it. I also religiously test my glucose levels fasting, one and two hours after every meal so I know what the food I ate is doing to my levels.

There's plenty of low carb food on a cruise ship. A dessert certainly isn't off limits for me, either. But I have to choose-- what I can't do is eat carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner and not see a bad impact.

Best of luck, enjoy the cruise and manage your health. You can do it all!

these responses are fabulous. i think everyone is really contributing very useful information. i just wanted to add that on oct. 23 2015 when my a1c was 10.,2, i weighed 267 pounds, ugh! i have lost 42 pounds so far and i'm on my way to 200 pounds. one important thing i did was to give up all diet and regular soda drinks. they are pure poison. in fact, my nutritionist told me regular soda pop is more healthy than diet but it has way too much sugar. i just gave it up cold turkey and that helped in my weight loss. i drink lots of water and iced tea now and i'm very satisfied.

moderation is the key here. i'm not comfortable eating lots of carbs. if i do have a piece of bread, it will be whole grain with at least 4 grams of fibre but i eat it rarely.

As I read through all these stories of you who have embraced managing your diabetes, it really encourages me. I am a nurse practitioner in a hospital that sees only those who haven't managed their disease and have all the dire consequences. It is a great reminder that most people do well with mild to moderate lifestyle changes and live totally normal lives.

As I read through all these stories of you who have embraced managing your diabetes, it really encourages me. I am a nurse practitioner in a hospital that sees only those who haven't managed their disease and have all the dire consequences. It is a great reminder that most people do well with mild to moderate lifestyle changes and live totally normal lives.

Thank you Mama Bear. I think back five years ago when they played hail to the chief when I went into my local Duncan Donuts. My doctor warned me about my weight and sugar levels. When I was first diagnosed as pre diabetic I blew the chance to reverse things. I always figured I could cut back if I really had to. Little did I know that once you transition from pre to full blown diabeties, there is no turning back.

As they say, intelligence is wasted on the young. At least I got my act together before I got to the point of having to inject insulin. My sympathies go out to the type 1 people.