HAL's cruise insurance?

lahlah57

No. But I looked at HAL insurance for my father a few years ago and spent some time on the phone with the HAL folks (that was an experience...like pulling teeth).

IMHO their insurance if OK if you want cancel for any reason insurance. That was not his reason for buying a travel policy. For other issues like medical/evacuation I considered it to be very poor when price/compared to other insurance options on the market. Perhaps the CSR was misleading or misinforming me at the time and it really was better than I thought. Or perhaps it has been enhanced over the past few years.

Does anyone know which insurance company do they contract thru?

Was going to go private but with HAL flights included I may have to go thru HAL.

Need to research before buying....thanks!

Transamerica Casualty Insurance Co.

See https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-planning/CancellationProtectionPlans_FAQ.pdf

The Platinum costs roughly 9% of the amount covered. I don't know what the Standard costs.

Edited by jtl513

We compared the HAL and Allianz coverage, and opted for Allianz because it provided better options. But as previously stated, we were not only concerned about cancellation coverage. If you are only interested in trip cancellation coverage, you might find better options with HAL.

Was going to go private but with HAL flights included I may have to go thru HAL.

Why would you need to buy HAL insurance if you booked flights through them?

If you want good medical/evacuation/repatriation coverage you do not want to use the cruise line insurance (any cruise line, not just HAL).

If you want good medical/evacuation/repatriation coverage you do not want to use the cruise line insurance (any cruise line, not just HAL).
But if you want "cancel for any reason" right up to sailing day you do.

We compared the HAL and Allianz coverage, and opted for Allianz because it provided better options. But as previously stated, we were not only concerned about cancellation coverage. If you are only interested in trip cancellation coverage, you might find better options with HAL.

And if you have any pre-existing conditions, then the Platinum insurance is good for cancellation. Not so much for the medical side.

But if you want "cancel for any reason" right up to sailing day you do.

What if the cruise is already in progress? I.e., Board in San Diego (Pacific Coastal) (headed to Alaska) and are told by Canadian Customs in Victoria that you will have to get off the ship in Seattle because you did something minute 30+ years ago and Canada will not allow you in?)

Is there any insurance that covers that?

Joanie

Have you checked to see if your private company would include the flights in their quote?

What if the cruise is already in progress?

I'm not sure, but it might fall under the "Trip Interruption" category. According to a table on page 2 of the pdf that I linked to, interruptions are covered "Up to 150% of the Total Cruise Vacation Cost" for the Platinum plan.

You can still insure privately, even with HAL flights. The insurance company is covering a dollar value which can include flights and cruise.

What if the cruise is already in progress? I.e., Board in San Diego (Pacific Coastal) (headed to Alaska) and are told by Canadian Customs in Victoria that you will have to get off the ship in Seattle because you did something minute 30+ years ago and Canada will not allow you in?)

Joanie

I bolded and underlined the specific part I am replying to. My suspicion is that there would not be insurance for that. AFAIK people are expected to know what might get them barred from a country. If that is the case it would be the cruiser's own negligence that would force them off the ship, if I understand your hypothetical.

Your example is somewhat confusing to me. Do you mean the ship would sail from San Diego to Victoria, then to Seattle being the end of the cruise? How could Canada Customs enforce someone being removed from the ship in another country (the US)? And if Seattle is the end of the cruise, how is that cruise being interrupted?

I think what this means is that there was a legal problem 30 years ago that puts a flag on that person that the Canadian government then bars from entering the country of Canada. The opposite is also true. When the passenger list is given to authorities on 'both sides' of the US/Canadian border then a person with outstanding court orders/warrants/and all sorts of other things that got into a computer somewhere (including no-fly lists?) is run through the big brother computers and you can be removed from the ship and held until proof that you are not wanted/owing/on the run etc. is resolved legally. Happened to someone I know and it was a very bad experience and in their case unfounded -- the court order had been resolved 8 years before. Don't know if it better to be told can't go through Canada or they stop you on the way back and won't let you in. If you have any legal shadows in your background, or if you have a name that is similar or the same as someone who has legal issues Good Luck. Computers are not always your friend and they don't forget (or get updated)

CFAR insurance is what I want but so many private outside companies do not cover flights and cruise only. HAL would cover both since flight and cruise is bought thru them. Not sure about their contractor though.Nationwide luxury cruise coverage was one of the best but flights are not part of the deal.If I am understanding it right.

CFAR insurance is what I want but so many private outside companies do not cover flights and cruise only. HAL would cover both since flight and cruise is bought thru them. Not sure about their contractor though.Nationwide luxury cruise coverage was one of the best but flights are not part of the deal.If I am understanding it right.

I buy my cruise insurance the same day that I put deposit on cruise (or within the week). My TA contacts the insurance writer and we tell her when we plan to start the trip (sometimes 3 weeks ahead of sail date) and when it will end (always allow 2 extra days in case of delay). I estimate cost of flights (even if bought with miles the replacement fees), hotel deposits if non-refundable, the cruise (cancellation) and estimates for other big ticket items that have to be prepaid (guide deposits/excursions etc). Pay for the insurance. If I need to adjust dates or amounts then TA just gives them a call and add to (never had to adjust down in cost :p). Allianz is the current vendor but there are many that you can use that work the same way. I always buy from an independent insurance agency -- cruise line can go broke and can't protect you from themselves as can tour agencies etc. Look up travel insurance on the web and you will see many companies offering insurance plans. Study up -- maybe even compare on a place like insure my trip dot com or others. Many sources and they will insure what you want to insure same as car insurance and life insurance varies by company but basically the same product.

Understand that evacuation insurance (get you out of a place and to a hospital), medical insurance (medicare stops at the border/ship's doctor is not covered nor any services outside USA), car insurance (rental car or your own) can be part of travel insurance but is usually separate policies (at least for me). Also check your home owner's policy or renter's insurance as they might cover personal property like cameras, luggage, clothing etc. if something goes missing.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

The website insuremytrip dot com is a good resource to compare insurance policies and help with the decision about HAL vs private insurance. There is a shopping menu where you decide what you need covered. Over the years, for me, Allianz has been the 'winner' for best coverage at lowest cost.

I view HAL's Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan as just that - cancellation. Its health benefits are minimal. It allows you to "cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel arrangements made by HAL....".So if you made your own flight arrangements and were unable to arrive at the ship in time to sail , you would receive 90% of the fare paid with no forms or questions as KK notes.

This has happened to us a couple of times due to airline issues. I called HAL when I knew we would not be able to get to the ship on time and received reimbursement in a couple of days. Have also had trip interruption issues due to medical issues and received reimbursement for the days that we missed. In this case, HAL shipboard medical staff completed the necessary paperwork which we then submitted for the reimbursement.

I just learned that our secondary health insurance does cover outside the country for emergency medical services. Formerly, I thought it did not. And I do purchase an emergency evacuation insurance policy such as MedJet Assist or Geo Blue. So I feel well covered with these three policies.