Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

:D google told me so lol they said horse fly my guess is you do see them bite and lay their eggs on horses used to have a horse and see them doing that , drove the horses nuts , eggs stuck to their legs etc poor buggers

so i am guessing thats why the name horse fly as well

Edited by Hawka

:D google told me so lol they said horse fly my guess is you do see them bite and lay their eggs on horses used to have a horse and see them doing that , drove the horses nuts , eggs stuck to their legs etc poor buggers

so i am guessing thats why the name horse fly as well

I prefer to drive a horse with reins, much safer and works on the mares as well.

Likewise, a shame he is getting so bad with his illness lately.

yes was looking older then he is when i saw him last could tell he was not the same as he was the first time i saw him

No visit to down under would be complete without a visit to an Aussie watering hole, which we call a Pub

Pubs (taverns/hotels) are found all over so you will not go thirsty - so far, so good.

Some are as old as time itself and look it to, sometimes the Pub in the outback is the only building in town - Aussies know how to get their priorities right.

But to make your visit to the Pub a great adventure, do learn some of the beer lingo to impress your friends and enrich the experience.

a brownie - beer in a bottle

a stubble - small bottle of beer

a tinnie - what do you think?

a slab - 24 cans/bottles in a cardboard box

a stubble holder - holder for keeping said beer cold while drinking

Drinking draft in a Pub can be complicated - because you can order a pint, a schooner, a middy, or a pot (no forget it) or even a pony - no you won't get a horse either.

Want to impress your friends, or make a good friend of the stranger sitting next to you at the bar - just say it is "MY SHOUT" and friendship is quarantined.

Need to buy drinks to take away - ask a Local for directions to the nearest bottle shop.

Many Pubs will also lay on good "Grub" - ask when feeling a little hungry if Grub is available.

I have attached a copy of a typical Aussie Pub for your viewing.

Finally and this is most important of all - when down under (or at home) drink RESPONSIBIlY, do not drink and drive (we want your money, not your body),nominate a skipper to drive.

Enjoy

image.jpg.6740fdc6ab8716fcca7936e3d2742567.jpg

Edited by Bpos
Spelling sorry I left school at a very tender age

a stubble - small bottle of beer

a stubble holder - holder for keeping said beer cold while drinking

Either you have been sampling said beer or your keyboard has an 'l' instead of an 'i'.

You will confuse our visitors & have them ordering an ice cold stubble instead of a stubbie!

Isn't stubble the stuff that grows on your face :)

Cheers

There is simple solution to the problems outlined above for visitors to Australia. Give the West Island a complete miss and come across the ditch to GODZONE. We have not poisonous spiders, no snakes, no person eating crocodiles, no animals s to pee all over you. We do have a very welcoming country and peoples. We don't have saucers in our sports cabinets either. We have cups instead.

From a 'west islander'

Then why is it that most of you are over here:confused:

And do be aware of which state you are in when ordering beer because they do have different names for a standard drink. In Western Australia we call it a Middy but in Victoria they call it a Pot. And we have cartons of beer and they have slabs.. Can other states please inform on the correct beer word usage for their state.

Beer Size Names in Australia

The Beer names given to different beer glass sizes varies from city to city in Australia and generally from state to state. for example asking for a Schooner in most Victorian or Western Australian Pubs will earn you a confused or annoyed look, as the don’t serve that size. ordering a ‘Beer’ in Victoria will get you a 285ml (10 oz) ‘Pot’ however if you said the same thing in a Queensland Pub you might find yourself with a smaller 200ml (7 oz) glass.

A ‘Jug’ anywhere in Australia will earn you a 1140ml (40 oz) receptacle designed for sharing and you will find find yourself upsetting the establishment and the security if you were to drink straight from it.

A 570ml (20 oz) glass is referred to as a Pint everywhere outside South Australia, in which it must be referred to as an Imperial Pint to differentiate from the 15 oz glass they call a Pint.

A 450ml (15 oz) glass is called a Schooner everywhere except S.A. and is particularly popular in New South Wales but almost non-existent in Victorian or Western Australian Pubs.

A 285ml (10 oz) glass is the most popular of the beer glasses in Australia and is called a number of names; Its a ‘Half-Pint in ACT, a ‘Middy’ in WA and NSW, a ‘Pot’ in VIC, QLD & TAS, sometimes a ‘Ten’ in QLD & TAS, and a ‘Handle’ in NT though all over Australia a lot of Pubs with beer gardens give the option to have a handle 285ml glass as the beer stays cooler longer.

A 200ml (7 oz) glass is called a ‘Seven’ everywhere except WA & VIC where it is simply a ‘Glass’ or SA where it is a ‘Butcher’

Where they are served a 140ml (5 oz) is generally know as a ‘Pony’ however glasses smaller then 285ml are losing popularity and are generally only drunk by baby boomers. perhaps due to increased available beer money or just the fact that people are aware that beer is great and should be drunk in larger glasses… I’m not sure.

Taken from The Beer Brew Guru http://beerbrewguru.com/beer-brew-news/beer-size-guide-to-australian-beer-measurements/

No visit to the land downunder would be complete without seeing our most famous and unique animal - why it is even represented on Australia's Coat of Arms and now found in many overseas zoos and even in some countries - in the wild.

And would you believe - we even eat them and export their meat to many overseas countries - even Japan, where it is called "jump steak"

Have you guessed what I am referring to???

I can guarantee the American Bald Eagle is not on the dinner plate, but don't despair, we have more animals that we can accomodate so culling is an unfortunate consequence of the animal's breeding cycle (humanely done of course).

You can buy steaks, sausages, rissoles, pies, mince meat etc at most supermarkets, butchers shops and find it at ridiculous prices at high end restaurants.

Why, it even gets the tick of approval from the Heart Health Organisation as it is lean, mean and good for you.

So, as it is good for you, after your encounter with a live roo, why not taste it to.

In Tasmania (an island State of Australia- which you must visit), I am told the road kill of Roos (probably wallabys) is such that it provides many families with meat for weeks on end - how about that???

But a little known fact about Kangaroos is that they as love to BOX - yes BOX. In the late 1890's boxing Roos were a draw card for sideshows in Oz, USA, and many European countries. No more thank goodness but see attached photo.

However, Roos still settle their own differences today with a boxing bout - don't believe me - see the attached photo.

So if you see a couple of Roos shaping up on your travels, take a photo for the folks at home - and stay clear, they have a mean left hook.

image.jpg.334e7a406dce978770e5efd958e09243.jpg

Edited by Bpos