Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

Great run down on the beer sizes, it can get confusing. Reminds me of when we were in Rome, the restaurant owner asked if we wanted the large beer or a small beer. As Aussies, we felt obliged to get the large, only to find that it was a beer stein (in Italy,:eek: really) and held around 1.2 litres of beer and we had ordered one each. One beer cost more than our two pizzas, lesson learnt, always check what you are ordering.

Visitors from overseas, especially USA, ensure that your credit card has a PIN.

Transactions in Australia are no longer verified by signature. Tap or wave card up to about $100, over that is verified by PIN.

Visitors from overseas, especially USA, ensure that your credit card has a PIN.

Transactions in Australia are no longer verified by signature. Tap or wave card up to about $100, over that is verified by PIN.

Great info I'll look into that. I wouldn't have thought about my pin for cc which I have just don't remember lol. Unusual but I guess that can actually make it more secure. Just need to verify that it won't end up showing up as a cash charge as that has a higher interest rate...can we say crazy expensive. I know this thread started as kind of a tongue in cheek comments but this was really helpful thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

i think it started as legit but some tongue in cheek crept into it lol either way all good and as much as there is some tongue in cheek some of those comments are still legit specially about the vegemite ;-)

i think it started as legit but some tongue in cheek crept into it lol either way all good and as much as there is some tongue in cheek some of those comments are still legit specially about the vegemite ;-)

Are you suggesting perhaps that the thread has per chance drifted off topic.

Are you suggesting perhaps that the thread has per chance drifted off topic.

no i think that people posted a whole heap of helpful things in a different way to put smiles on faces at the same time as helping

no i think that people posted a whole heap of helpful things in a different way to put smiles on faces at the same time as helping

Wooh was worried there for a minute that someone thought that a thread here on the Aussie sub forum might have drifted.:eek::p

Here is a doubtlessly heretical question, but here goes:

What if I don't drink beer? Can I get wine in a pub?

(don't beat me! :o)

Of course. And spirits, like gin and tonic, bourbon and coke etc. You might even be lucky enough to find cocktails.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Yes you can get wine in a pub.

Also food in most these days,in fact pubs offer dining almost as good as some restaurants.

Most will have televisions scattered around the place,mostly showing men killing each other whilst chasing an oval ball,esp on the weekends.

Many of the tvs are in colour,(black and white.)

A lot will have pool-tables,usually in what is called The Sportsmans Bar,although you are highly unlikely to see any sportsman in them,an area is set aside with more tvs showing horses running round a track,this is were people can waste their money on gambling.

Lots of pubs have beer gardens,this is not where beer is grown most are quite nice.But you will still find tvs,in them were people can watch the men killing each-other and your horse losing.

On entering,please dodge the clothing scattered on the floor,this has been thrown there by an irate wife,accompanied by a scream of"Seeing that you spend so much time here,you might as well live here".

But yes you can get Wine in a pub.:):)

Yep.

In fact many (maybe even most) pubs if you can drink it you can probably buy it.

Beer

Wine

spirits

Water

Soft drink (soda)

Even tea and coffee at many of them

But Sheila's drinking cocktails and wine should stick to the ladies longe:eek::p;)

Didn't it used to be called the saloon,or did the ladies lounge become the saloon,which then became the pokie area,which then incorporated the beer garden,to which the tab was added,and then the sportsmans bar.And then remodelled to include the keno and dining room which then became a bistro,with restaurant prices :eek:

Didn't it used to be called the saloon,or did the ladies lounge become the saloon,which then became the pokie area,which then incorporated the beer garden,to which the tab was added,and then the sportsmans bar.And then remodelled to include the keno and dining room which then became a bistro,with restaurant prices :eek:

Only once the Sheila's forgot their proper place.

Actually I know my proper place,i usually wait in the car and then I'm the taxi,then I get home and take the dried out beautiful meal I cooked 6 hrs ago and just chuck it straight in the bin.(satisfaction).Now we have micro-waves its easier.

Then I sit there and endure 1 hr of analysis of men trying to kill each other chasing an oval ball.

Until I hear the gentle snoring which sounds like the roof is caving in,so I always have the blanket to throw over,this lifeless breathing body,and then go and clean up.

After reading my latest romance novel,for an hr,i drop off to sleep.

When I wake-up and after practising my best death-stare and I'm not talking to you,moment(this could last for 1 day to about 3 days),I then await my flowers and a promise of dinner.

Which usually turns out to be a b-b-q,with mates watching grown men trying to kill each other chasing an oval-ball.

Then the death-stares really kick-in.;):eek:

Actually I know my proper place,i usually wait in the car and then I'm the taxi,then I get home and take the dried out beautiful meal I cooked 6 hrs ago and just chuck it straight in the bin.(satisfaction).Now we have micro-waves its easier.

Then I sit there and endure 1 hr of analysis of men trying to kill each other chasing an oval ball.

Until I hear the gentle snoring which sounds like the roof is caving in,so I always have the blanket to throw over,this lifeless breathing body,and then go and clean up.

After reading my latest romance novel,for an hr,i drop off to sleep.

When I wake-up and after practising my best death-stare and I'm not talking to you,moment(this could last for 1 day to about 3 days),I then await my flowers and a promise of dinner.

Which usually turns out to be a b-b-q,with mates watching grown men trying to kill each other chasing an oval-ball.

Then the death-stares really kick-in.;):eek:

Sounds how life should be, to me, especially chasing the oval ball bit and women folk waiting for us important ones:p. Bout all their good for.;)

On behalf of my fellow kiwis I have to offer an apology to all the blokes reading this thread. It was my forbears who were the first to give sheilas a vote and life has gone downhill from there ever since. There is one consolation that Aussie Shopping Mall owners have done to help us blokes out and that is to put in comfy chairs whilst we wait.

Sounds how life should be, to me, especially chasing the oval ball bit and women folk waiting for us important ones:p. Bout all their good for.;)

Mate you're either very brave or very stupid.:D

Ask for the wine menu, otherwise you will get the house wine (red or white), we sometimes call it 'Çhateau Cardboard' as it often comes out of the box.

And who invented the "Chateau Cardboard"??? - why an Aussie of course!

How about that - now that is something we should be proud of in our history - why you will find the cask everywhere now in the world of wine - what bliss, what joy - I even saw a cask in a Paris supermarket on my last trip there in 2015.

"sacre bleu" a Parisian said to me when I pointed out the Aussie invention, and it was only when I got home and looked up the phrase, I realised what he had said!!!

I now understand the importance of knowing some of the local lingo when visiting a foreign country - overseas cruisers coming to the down under will have picked up some of the unique Australian language outlined in many of the earlier posts on this thread. Strewth, howabout some more!!!

Edited by Bpos

On behalf of my fellow kiwis I have to offer an apology to all the blokes reading this thread. It was my forbears who were the first to give sheilas a vote and life has gone downhill from there ever since. There is one consolation that Aussie Shopping Mall owners have done to help us blokes out and that is to put in comfy chairs whilst we wait.

A man after me own heart.