Maya Chan

kdc0905

Everyone one has own palapa which are larger than usual beach ones Ours held a hammock, 2 chaise loungers and a sort of sofa bed We could have easily fit another few people in

Thanks for that clarification. In my request asking for "an invitation to join" I promised that we would behave ourselves :D and my hubby said that we would buy the "first round" ;) - we are generous that way! Haha! (Being silly, as I realize that drinks are already included) BUT I now can see that people may not be quick to include total strangers under their palapa. Sounds somewhat awkward actually. Bummer for us.... waiting too long to book is our fault. Appreciate your input!

Honestly, I don't know. I imagined us just sitting in beach chairs on the beach? Maybe I haven't researched an AI beach experience enough? I wasn't thinking that we would have a "cabana". Truthfully, we are not really 'beach' people so this was going to be our first attempt at AI beach time! :o Ha!

At most places you do just get loungers and perhaps an umbrella but as far as I know at Maya Chan everyone has a reserved "palapa" which you are shown to on arrival. The "palapas" are of different types and size depending on the size of your group.

I was not offered to see if someone would let us piggy back on their reservation. We are sailing on Oceania Marina, perhaps they don't have any other guests coming from that ship.

We booked an excursion with Native Choice. That should be fine. We are doing lots of beaches so one day of culture should be good. :D:D:D

I just booked Maya Chan for our cruise, and they send you an extensive information document, which includes pictures of the private palapa/cabana area each group gets:

mayachanbeachfacebook.jpg

According to the info they only have 16 of these areas. I think some are larger than others, but potentially a group of 2 could be given an area that could seat 4 or 6 easily- so your assumptions about the 'piggy back' offer are pretty much spot on!

To be honest I wouldn't want to share my area with a stranger or group of strangers- I think the whole point is that its a private area and you can switch between chairs, the bed and the hammocks as you like. But maybe you will have good luck and someone sociable will agree to share.

But yeah, they only have 16 reservation slots available which is why they book up so fast!! They said they average around 70 guests, so that would be 4 or 5 per palapa, but we have booked just for the two of us.

I just booked Maya Chan for our cruise, and they send you an extensive information document, which includes pictures of the private palapa/cabana area each group gets:

mayachanbeachfacebook.jpg

According to the info they only have 16 of these areas. I think some are larger than others, but potentially a group of 2 could be given an area that could seat 4 or 6 easily- so your assumptions about the 'piggy back' offer are pretty much spot on!

To be honest I wouldn't want to share my area with a stranger or group of strangers- I think the whole point is that its a private area and you can switch between chairs, the bed and the hammocks as you like. But maybe you will have good luck and someone sociable will agree to share.

But yeah, they only have 16 reservation slots available which is why they book up so fast!! They said they average around 70 guests, so that would be 4 or 5 per palapa, but we have booked just for the two of us.

Thank you for your input. I agree that unless we "bonded" at say a Meet & Greet, it would be terribly awkward to have strangers under the same palapa! We are 60 and will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on the cruise, so I can just imagine if we were sharing with 20-30 year olds...it might be kinda strange. Although our kids are in their 30's and we LOVE hanging with them! :)

We had the 10 chair palapa/cabana last week (Jan '17) It had a day bed and two hammocks. There were only 6 of us.

It is right next to the beach bathrooms.

Hint: There are chair cushions in the bathroom that we got and used. Those wooden chairs get uncomfortable if you don't get off your ass.:D :eek:

• 1 month later...

We have been to the Tropicanta and Maya Chan. I loved both, but having the transportation to and from Maya Chan, the unlimited drinks and food was awesome. I honestly hope I get back to Maya Chan again. I loved the fact that it wasn't crowded too. We did have sea grass that day but that doesn't bother me. I just felt bad for all the people working so hard to remove it. :-) I would love to find the salsa recipe because it was the best I have ever had and their taco buffet for lunch was wonderful!

It was a little windy when we first arrived so we just went out in the kayak's. Later in the day one of our boys took the paddle board out when the wind settled down.

• 3 weeks later...
We had the 10 chair palapa/cabana last week (Jan '17) It had a day bed and two hammocks. There were only 6 of us.

It is right next to the beach bathrooms.

Hint: There are chair cushions in the bathroom that we got and used. Those wooden chairs get uncomfortable if you don't get off your ass.:D :eek:

Are the cushions available to anyone? Since there will be only 2 of us i'm afraid we'd get a palapa without the bed and have only the hard chairs. That wouldn't work for us.

Other than asking for space in a fellow cruisers space at Maya Chan on your roll call, I knowmy comments might not help.

We have been there many times with just us, friends and family.

Part of the charm is that your assigned space is yours. It is private no matter the size.

It is one of the few opportunities to be on your own and enjoy food, shade or sun, the water and drinks:)

Crusing can take away from that feeling of having your own place in time.

Maya Chan has recognized that and provided small and large arrangements for their guests.

I hope you find space at this lovely resort and have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When we went to Maya Chan, the sea grass did interfere with swimming. Our grandson was only 2 years old, and we were able to find an area near the shore that was relatively grass free for him, but other than in that spot, it was impossible to swim without being in the grass. The hospitality of the owners was wonderful and the food was very good, but we will not return in the future because we prefer being able to swim without so much grass.

I am traveling as a solo cruiser. This place sounds wonderful, but with the palapas I don't know if they would accommodate a single cruiser (or if that would be weird).

Has anyone gone solo to Maya Chan? Any other beach clubs that might be a better fit?

I think Bleednblu is saying you would book one of the private areas (which is the only way to book) but you could also hang out at the bar when there if you felt like company! You can't just go and hang out at the bar without making a booking as it's not open to the public.

I would contact them and ask about coming as a solo traveller, they are very nice!

I am traveling as a solo cruiser. This place sounds wonderful, but with the palapas I don't know if they would accommodate a single cruiser (or if that would be weird).

Has anyone gone solo to Maya Chan? Any other beach clubs that might be a better fit?

This place will be fine for a solo, I went solo. Just don't let them give you the palapa right in front of the bar and next to the life size jenga game. The day I was there, a group of spring breakers came and were pretty loud playing the game.

I had forgotten the earbuds for my music that day, so I did have to move up to the bar for a while to avoid all their screaming. I'm not a party pooper, but the frat house atmosphere did disrupt the hoped for peaceful day for an hour or so till they moved on.

I met another solo woman on the taxi there, she said has been multiple times, loves the place. She scored a spot nearer the water, so was not affected by the rowdy Jenga game.

Also, as I've said on another thread, the atmosphere, food, drinks and service are world class, but it is not a good swimming beach. They do warn you ahead of time.

Edited by EatonDoolittle

We went there to renew vows and are going again later this year. LOVED it. It's like going to Gilligan's Island. The food is good, the drinks are too, the staff is always there but very good at being hidden and not seen. The will wade into the sea to get and order and serve you. The service was great, not crowded - they limit the number of guests. The give each party a special place of their own to sit. Is there seaweed? Yes. There is sea weed ANYWHERE in Costa Maya. It's the way the beaches are there.

• 1 month later...
Am I correct that they have a box for tips that they split, or should I have small bills to tip after every drink? Can anyone give details on this

Yes, they have a tip box you'll see when you leave. No need to tip after each drink.

• 4 weeks later...