So, How Much Is Too Much? (Long post)

R Prim

So you big spenders from the North are going to spend $2 per person to take a ferry across the river? :eek:

You got something against swimming ??? :D:D:D:D:D

You get the prize for best comment of the day, maybe even the week!

I am rethinking renting cars and staying in Gretna though (we need 3 hotel rooms). We will need 3 cabs which I believe would cost about $125 plus tips from the airport to the French Quarters (should we decide to stay there). About how much would it be for cabs from the French Quarters to the cruise port and then from the cruise port to the airport following the cruise? I am also wondering about Uber.

Taxis are $36 for one or two people or $15 pp from the airport to the FQ and from the cruise port back to MDY. Taxis are $8 pp from the FQ to the cruise terminal. NO has many mini van or van cabs. You should be able to fit in 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree with Bob - 1/2 - 1 mile in Southern heat and humidity in August is madness. It's only June and we're boiling and broiling in Nashville.

Roz

True story!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did a mock booking on uber and you can get a car at the terminal (the app tells you where to go)If you have not used it before you will get $20 credit when you sign up. Assuming nobody in your group has it you could have three people use it when you arrive and three other people use it on the way back. (You'll need three uberxl or four uberx if you have any large suitcases. Don't waste it on the way from FQ to the port as it could be less than $10. Just showed you how to save $120 now you have extra to blow on a hotel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by erinmarie424

So, we decided to do a "cheap" get away, sailing out of New Orleans in August. My question for you, what is the most "rig-a-mo" you have ever done to do "cheap"? Right now, this is our plan...drive to Cincinnati (about an hour and a half away) and fly Allegient Air ($44.00 per ticket) to N.O. (there are 10 of us); rent two cars; drive to hotel in Gretna then to the ferry station and take the ferry over and walk into the French Quarters for the day; ferry back to cars; cars back to hotel. In the morning drive to cruise port drop off 8 people and drivers take the two rental cars to a drop off point near the ship (1/2 to 1 mile); drop off cars and drivers walk back to port. Following the cruise we will rent two cars to take us back to the airport; drivers will again walk to car rental pick up and drive back to port to pick up other 8 people; drop off cars and fly back to Dayton with points on Southwest. If we can't get drivers to take us to Cincinnati for the Allegient flights we will have to go back the next day to pick up the cars. We are experienced travelers and have done a lot of things to save a dime, but I am smiling as I type this because this is a lot even for us! So, can you beat this or do you just think we are crazy?

Can't beat it, don't want to and yes you're crazy! Lol

Best of luck to you and your travel companions.

Couldn't you fly out of Dayton on Southwest since you are flying back into it? Allegiant does have a way to nickle and dime you to death. THey also fly out of Dayton but very limited options so probably won't work for you. edited..just saw you already booked flights. Enjoy your trip!

I had no idea how many people from Dayton were on CC :-)

Edited by Biffer1997

You're doing too much. If possible cancel your Gretna hotel reservation.

Go to Hotwire.com, input your dates, 3 rooms with each holding 2 adults and 2 kids (that way you will get 2 beds in each room). You will easily get a 4 star around $100/night in the FQ, Superdome area, WHSE district or FQ MS River area. The FQ MS Area is usually the Hilton Riverside which is great because it's connected to the mall. You can walk thru the mall to the port. No cab needed. I've walked it a couple of times. It's about a 10 minute walk thru the mall. Easy peasy. Make sure your luggage has wheels. I figured if you're booking Allegience then you shouldn't have a problem trying Hotwire. :D

Uber or cab it from the airport to whichever hotel you get. Enjoy the FQ and don't worry about getting a car. YOU WILL NOT NEED IT! And believe me you will be happy you decided to stay in the FQ, WHSE, Superdome area. I go to NOLA a lot from the DFW area. I fly SW when I can catch a cheap flight and leave my car at home. Grab a hotel on hotwire for less than $100/night and enjoy a weekend getaway when my schedule allows. Parking is crazy expensive. DO NOT RENT A CAR!!! By the time you rent a car and park it you could have used that money and stayed in the FQ. Trust me you will be so happy you decided to stay in the FQ. And since you're in the FQ everyone can come and go as they please. This is a bonus when you're traveling with a group.

When you return uber or cab it back to the airport.

Word of caution - traveling with a group can be tricky and stressful. Remember you're on vacation too. You want the most convenient method of travel to transport them. I highly recommend paying a little extra and cabbing or ubering to and from the airport. You will be grateful you did in the long run. BELIEVE ME!! By the end of the vacation everyone has a short fuse. I don't care how well you get along.

I agree its alot and I travel solo. Looking for a cheap New Orleans cruise myself. I hope you enjoy. Not to hijack but I was wondering if warehouse district or business district would be considered downtown.

Yes it is pretty much the same thing. Downtown NOLA is not very big. Any place specific you are wondering about?

I get the meaning but have not heard "rig-a-mo" ever before??? Where did this come from???

You have to be VERY careful with Allegiant Air. The price listed is not the whole story and with cruise luggage you may find other airlines to be more cost effective.

Do your math carefully.

At my stage of life my comfort is worth money so that often trumps the cheapest way!

I agree with this but sometimes they are a lot cheaper than other airlines even with all the price options. I am using them on my way back home this next cruise. $240 overall for two(that includes luggage and pickmyseat costs) instead of $400+ for any other airline.

And this guy never said how old they are, I personally can run 3-5 miles in 90+ degree 80% humidity and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, so walking a mile would be cake. But I wouldn't try to do all this stuff for a group, it sounds fairly complicated and sometimes because its a group you can split costs to make something a little more convenient

The FQ MS Area is usually the Hilton Riverside which is great because it's connected to the mall. You can walk thru the mall to the port. No cab needed. I've walked it a couple of times. It's about a 10 minute walk thru the mall. Easy peasy. Make sure your luggage has wheels.

I was actually going to suggest this same thing!

How about a hotel in NO with free airport shuttle? You could take taxis back to the airport.

If you stayed in NO you wouldn't need a rental car during your stay. Just a thought. When we stay in NO we enjoy having dinner at Acme Oyster House and then walking Bourbon Street in the evening sipping on our frozen margaritas.

A word of caution about Allegiant:

Allegiant is going through a tough time with reliability right now (both because of the maintenance of their equipment and because of staffing)

This. I would NEVER fly Allegiant (disclaimer, I work for major cargo carried based in Memphis and this is only my opinion).

Yes it is pretty much the same thing. Downtown NOLA is not very big. Any place specific you are wondering about?
The

There was a distinction between the Warehouse District and Business District n Xpdia. Someone commented that the Hilton Riverside was next to the mall and you could walk to the port from there (Is this true? I could not find this info online). It is the most affordable for an August cruise also. I have really wanted to visit, but I think I will arrive a day early to explore and take a nice cheap cruise. What the biggest difference between staying in the WD or BD, versus FQ? Can I walk to FQ from those area? Thanks.

The

There was a distinction between the Warehouse District and Business District n Xpdia. Someone commented that the Hilton Riverside was next to the mall and you could walk to the port from there (Is this true? I could not find this info online). It is the most affordable for an August cruise also. I have really wanted to visit, but I think I will arrive a day early to explore and take a nice cheap cruise. What the biggest difference between staying in the WD or BD, versus FQ? Can I walk to FQ from those area? Thanks.

Yes, there is a difference. The Warehouse District is close to cruise port. Some areas of the business district are farther out. Hilton Riverside is connected to the mall. It is a good hotel that overlooks the river. You can walk to the FQ from those areas. FQ will likely be highest in price. Warehouse and business district are a little cheaper because tourists want to be in the FQ, but it's easy to walk to it from almost all of those areas. Certainly a very cheap Uber or taxi ride if you didn't want to walk. Hilton Riverside is about 2 - 3 blocks from the FQ.

The port is right next to the mall. I think you could walk through the mall and out the other end then downstairs (they do have escalators) and get to the port from right there.

While yes it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, at least for the rental cars, aren't there shuttles to the port, or at least from the rental dropoff at the airport in NOLA. If not, Nawlins taxis are used to short distance fares.

If you can't get two drivers to take you to Cincy, you're out one more day in longer parking there.

I'm assuming you have a great deal on a hotel in Gretna, but it's a bit of a truck from NOLA. What about a place in Metairie?

And locals, or others, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there decent public parking in or around the Quarter that would cost less than the ferry?

Gretna is actually closer to the Quarter than Metairie, but not the safest place around. It would have to be free for me to stay in Gretna! But, if I were staying there, I would drive over the GNO bridge and park at one of the public lots in the Quarter. Should be less than the ferry fare X 10. We did it all the time when we lived on the West Bank.

Clearly you have never flown into New Orleans and had to navigate I-10 into the city. I hope you allow enough time for all your back and forth with the rental cars. We have been stuck in more traffic jams on I-10 when headed to or from the airport in Kenner. At least Taxi drivers and locals know the shortcuts. Many times I was shopping in Metairie and had to get back across the river to get the kids at school and I- 10 was a parking lot. Thankfully, I knew how to get to the Huey P Long Bridge over to the Westbank Expressway back through Westwego, Marrero, Harvey and Gretna to Algiers.

We lived on the West Bank in Algiers and my DH thought he would take the bus to the ferry and then the ferry to work downtown. It was fine in the winter, but a no go in the summer due to the heat and humidity. He tried it once right after we moved there, but arrived at work soaking wet with perspiration. He actually thought we could get away with having only 1 car in New Orleans. So much for that idea. Within a week we had another car.

Having moved from Philly to New Orleans one August, and suffering through 3 New Orleans summers, I say your plan needs serious rethinking. Walking 1/2 mile in the New Orleans heat and humidity is plain nuts.

It does not sound like a vacation to me and there is something to be said for that old saying "Penny wise and Pound foolish." If one or more of you end up it he ER for heat stroke will it be worth it?

Edited by DebJ14

I love this post so much! I'm a frugal traveler myself--which is the only reason I'm able to travel--and a m confident you'll make the connections with your attitude. The worst case if the airline craps out on you, you can jump in cars and 13 hours later you'll be in The Big Easy! Good luck and be sure to report upon your return.

There is a trolley system with three lines: Canal Street, St. Charles, and the Riverfront. You can buy passes that allow you to ride as much as you wish (however, if you plan on partying late, the trolleys stop running around 9 PM).

While yes it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, at least for the rental cars, aren't there shuttles to the port, or at least from the rental dropoff at the airport in NOLA. If not, Nawlins taxis are used to short distance fares.

If you can't get two drivers to take you to Cincy, you're out one more day in longer parking there.

I'm assuming you have a great deal on a hotel in Gretna, but it's a bit of a truck from NOLA. What about a place in Metairie?

And locals, or others, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there decent public parking in or around the Quarter that would cost less than the ferry?

Gretna is much closer than Metairie. It's just across the river from the terminal. In fact, you can get a birds eye view into the bridge of the ship from the bridge. At least the passengers can. The driver should have a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel. ;)

I got a headache just reading about your plans! I know it's Carnival, not Cunard, but how frugal do you need to be?!

However, as "TAPI" stated above, and I can assure you he knows what he is talking about, your biggest problem is Allegiant! The rest is almost meaningless. They're no different than flying Spirit.

They are the weakest link in the chain, and if it breaks, goodbye cruise and a bunch of money.

Oh, I take it you are buying travel insurance for this scenario. You might need it! :eek:

A word of caution about Allegiant: They are an ultra low cost carrier, which means that you will pay extra for everything, literally. And even if you're not checking bags, you'll still pay extra for carry-ons.

But that's not the worst of your worries. ......

Totally, wholeheartedly, completely agree with Tapi on this. In addition, not only do they do nothing for you if they cancel, they cancel and delay frequently. Often it's due to mechanical issues.

I have a friend who used to be a flight attendant on Allegiant. USED to be. Believe me when I say I'd rethink that. Nope nope nope.