World Cruisers: Seeking Beverage(s) Advise

prescottbob

"Truth"? Are you serious?

You forget: tastes vary. Do not people on this board add the caution when talking about food: "food is subjective"? So, with wine.

People on this thread are attempting to help the OP. He has said he has purchased wine packages. Let us all allow him his opinion of those wines, and me mine.

Thank you.

I can not agree with you more that "taste" is subjective and everybody has their own BUT "quality" is not subjective. You either have quality or you don't and some folks will like it and others not.

Thank you.

I like having drink while we are getting ready for dinner, or sometimes a nightcap, and find that it is easier to order a bottle to have in the cabin so I can serve myself, rather than having to go to a bar and order it to bring back to the cabin. You can also take advantage of Happy Hour where it's 2 for 1 or the 2nd for $1.00.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I can not agree with you more that "taste" is subjective and everybody has their own BUT "quality" is not subjective. You either have quality or you don't and some folks will like it and others not.

Thank you.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but what is the objective measure of wine quality?

It seems as though I have hit a sore spot.

Scott & Karen

Whether you have or not, the OP does not appear to have a problem with what you said.

Appreciate it that you share your knowledge based on your long experience with HAL on many threads.

Thanks, that is clear. Shows that if you buy the larger package it really is a better deal.

By the way: when they run out of one of the wines in a package, the substitute is ALWAYS better.

And when you plan to buy one of those big ones, feel free to invite me to help you drink it!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thank you.

There are no objective criteria for "quality", unfortunately. You might say that a sign of quality is meeting or exceeding expectations, but those expectations - at least concerning wine - change over time. The finest bottle of red wine I've ever had was a 1945 Chateau LaTour. But I wouldn't want to drink it now - the quality is long gone.

As many have said:

- Look into the wine packages as some are decent values and there are different levels of wine at different prices. There will be several wine tastings, usually from the package wines, so you can make a more informed decision if you choose to go this way.

- Tablemates bought the wine by the glass package for dinner, which worked well for them.

- There is usually a 'sit and sip' event before dinner where a nice glass of wine and canapes are provided for $5

- There will be more drink packages offered closer to the WC, which are only for the WC, so watch for the information.

- Am a fan of Happy Hour where it is buy 1 and get the 2nd for $1,

- I always buy the soda cards for $25 for $50 of dispensed soda..

- On a WC, there are several cocktail parties which helps a bit as the beverages are free.

- Also, I bring a small thermal container for tours which tucks nicely into the provided bag, and just fill it with water on the ship, which by the way is excellent, almost distilled quality water or I buy 1 bottle and refill. for different tours

- Have seen people load cases of wine and pay the corkage fee, which they claim saved them $ and they got their preferred wine.

By the way: when they run out of one of the wines in a package, the substitute is ALWAYS better.

And when you plan to buy one of those big ones, feel free to invite me to help you drink it!

that's been our experience as well :). Much better in fact :)

In their World Cruise Blog this year WCB reported that the 48 bottle wine packages were priced at $1391 and $1838, minus your 4 star discount.

So your choice of $905 for 48 = $19 per bottle and/or $1195 for 48 = $25 per bottle. A lot better than paying corkage.

Again, I ask whether these are onboard prices or pre-boarding prices available to WC passengers?

Answered in post #22.

Onboard pricing.

Pre-boarding is $100.00 off

Thank you for clarifying. Actually Post 22 did not answer it because he was quoting your numbers, and it wasn't clear from your post whether it was onboard or pre-boarding. Now it is clear.

Thank you for clarifying. Actually Post 22 did not answer it because he was quoting your numbers, and it wasn't clear from your post whether it was onboard or pre-boarding. Now it is clear.

Probably your best bet is to phone the WC desk through Ship Services and confirm. Things change

Prior to the cruise, you should receive a book of information that should cover your question as have noticed WC pricing is often a bit better than what is on the web, at least for packages.

If you decide to call, think it is 800-522-3399.

Let us know what you find as several of us are curious.

It was snide, and the OP's use of alcohol should be of no concern to you.

What gives you the slightest idea that I could care about the OP's use of alcohol. I simply suggested that he would save some money by drinking less. BTW, I don't understand the adverse reaction about simply suggesting how the OP might save some money. I really must have hit a sore spot.

Scott & Karen

What gives you the slightest idea that I could care about the OP's use of alcohol. I simply suggested that he would save some money by drinking less. BTW, I don't understand the adverse reaction about simply suggesting how the OP might save some money. I really must have hit a sore spot.

Scott & Karen

Might you want to consider less judgment. Certainly would be easier on your likeability.

Scott & Karen

I kept out of this conversation thinking that the mood would switch back in your favor. It did not. You made a good, nonjudgemental budget suggestion. The OP admitted you were probably correct. You did hit a nerve, maybe you should have suggested cutting back on specialty coffee.

I just wanted to thank everyone, and I mean everyone, for their input.

Many of the money 'saving' items mentioned I already do or have done in the past. But there's always a few 'pearls of wisdom' that I glean on the board that turn out to be useful.

And, BTW, I certainly didn't need to cause any friction amongst members, as it were, with my particular life style when vacationing, whether it be cruising or land touring.

In any event, may one & all be well. I certainly look forward to my first WC in 2018. God willing our health will remain to be 'good'.

Bon Voyage & Good Health to one & all!

Bob:)

Many of the money 'saving' items mentioned I already do or have done in the past. But there's always a few 'pearls of wisdom' that I glean on the board that turn out to be useful.

And, BTW, I certainly didn't need to cause any friction amongst members, as it were, with my particular life style when vacationing, whether it be cruising or land touring.

In any event, may one & all be well. I certainly look forward to my first WC in 2018. God willing our health will remain to be 'good'.

Bob:)

Hope you have a great time planning for this World Cruise and the very BEST time on it!

Have enjoyed the photos albums! Thanks for the link.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Bob:)[/quote

Have a wonderful WC 2018!!!!

We do ours in 2017!!!!

First one and I hope more to come.

Denise:)

-You can get beverage cards for coffee, non alcoholic beverages 50 buys 100 dollars worth

-hit happy hour buy 1 get another for a dollar

-prepay credit for on board usage so your bill isn't staggering at the end

-they do offer a drink package as well for our upcoming 44 day cruise it is in the neighborhood of a couple grand each so we opted not to do this

-you can order packages of beer, wine, liquor for your cabin and replenish during the cruise if you run out