All inclusive beverage package

blue_water

Another fun thing about the AIBP is being able to sample drinks without worrying about the cost. Go ahead, work your way through the martini offerings! If you don't like it after a couple of sips, just get something else. On my last cruise the bartenders loved it that I would sit and discuss with them what the next drink would be. If I liked it, I drank it, if I didn't, they'd just make something else. It was a lot of fun.

Another fun thing about the AIBP is being able to sample drinks without worrying about the cost. Go ahead, work your way through the martini offerings! If you don't like it after a couple of sips, just get something else. On my last cruise the bartenders loved it that I would sit and discuss with them what the next drink would be. If I liked it, I drank it, if I didn't, they'd just make something else. It was a lot of fun.

We've been known to do the same at Martini Bar. It's even more fun to challenge the bartenders to come up with their own concoctions. After a few days, it becomes a competition sort of to come up with the best new martini... Or mixed drink, etc. It's lovely to nor be too worried about not liking the drink, or to be able to order extra alcohol if it's weak, or hand it back if too strong.... For lots of people, the foxed cost is worth a good deal also, so no running totals in their head or holding back due to costs,, etc. Add in the convenience of no slips to sign, that carries a worth for some people too.. And so on... It's all a personal decision, and fortunately it's still a reasonably priced (compared to other company packages) option. Foe those want it, it's available. For those who don't, no problem...

Happy sails!

We like to drink and don't like being drunk either. And we aren't when drinking as such under my sample day.. 8-10 alcoholic beverages spread over 14+ hours is hardly enoigh to get even light drinkers drunk.

As far as running totals, you can check your onboard folio at any time you want onboard either via guest services, the automated machines near guest services or via Princess@Sea on your smartphone (uses ship's intranet, free).

Here's a beverage package evaluator put together by a very helpful frequent poster, perhaps take a look and see for yourself whether a package makes sense for you or not.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=beverage+package+evaluator. The newest pricing starts at post 215.

As it's your first cruise, I would likely suggest you NOT get a package. Maybe the coffee card if you're big into espresso based coffee drinks.

Otherwise, do as you're thinking already, set aside X amounts of money to cover your bill, and drink as you like, woth no pressure to "get your money's worth" or whatever... You can gift yourself OBC (whole threads on that also) or prebudget however much you may think you'll need, etc. However it works for you.

You can use the evaluator also to figure how much to budget for your drinks also...

Happy sails!!

Couldn't open the evaluator in the link from an iPad, will try again later.

Edited by blue_water

Another thing to consider when purchasing a drink package is how much time you're actually spending on the ship. I'm going on a 7 night Canada/NE cruise in October and we only have one sea day. We have plans in each port city so I don't expect to be on the ship during the day. That would mean ALOT of drinks in the evening. For me personally its not worth it. We also always bring wine with us.

Here's a beverage package evaluator put together by a very helpful frequent poster, perhaps take a look and see for yourself whether a package makes sense for you or not.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=beverage+package+evaluator. The newest pricing starts at post 215.

That's a great tool, thank you! I perused it quickly last night and it's easy to get caught up in, "I'd try that. I'd try that. That sounds neat." haha I had to scale it back when I realized I was actually telling it, "I'd drink that every day." As in, one martini before dinner. Not one vodka martini, and one gin martini, and one appletini, etc :D

Say you have the AIBP and you want to buy a wine that costs $13 a glass. Do you pay the $3 difference or the full $13?

Also, does Princes have a premium beverage package similar to Celebrity's that might cost $10-12 a day more than the standard one?

Thanks in advance.

Say you have the AIBP and you want to buy a wine that costs $13 a glass. Do you pay the $3 difference or the full $13?

Also, does Princes have a premium beverage package similar to Celebrity's that might cost $10-12 a day more than the standard one?

Thanks in advance.

You will pay $13 for a glass of $13 wine by the glass.

Thanks in advance.

No premium beverage package. However, since you mentioned wine, some cruises do have wine packages...different than the AIBP. This thread explains:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?=2349746&highlight=wine+package

Okay - I know it's a small sample size but I've bought the AIBP on Day 2 twice. The first time on Crown - not charged for Day 1. 2nd time on Star and was charged for Day 1 (I'd weight this sample lower since server wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer so maybe I was lucky last time and I wish I'd caught the difference on board to be able to report results of an appeal to the front desk).

Princess rep on the phone says No Way are they supposed to sell the package at all on Day 2. Again - small sample size and still no written Policy to refer to.

Now I'm asserting that there is no written policy that pertains so I'd say one would have a very good case to take to the front desk to make them prove by policy why they couldn't charge just for Day 2 - End if bought on Day 2 since no product was delivered on Day 1.

Call me stupid or just lucky but if the ship can implement the package they way they want then who can say different...

A usual dinner for me consists of a drink or two while waiting in line, a beer or soda when I sit, at least one glass of wine or two, and a specialty coffee or drink at desert.

That's 4-6 specialty drinks just for dinner, it adds up quickly.

Best part is I can have whatever I want and not have to worry about my onboard account.

A usual dinner for me consists of a drink or two while waiting in line, a beer or soda when I sit, at least one glass of wine or two, and a specialty coffee or drink at desert.

That's 4-6 specialty drinks just for dinner, it adds up quickly.

Best part is I can have whatever I want and not have to worry about my onboard account.

One Manhattan or glass of wine and a glass of water with dinner for me and a glass of water for my wife. On a sea day I will have a bucket of beer and my wife a drink special or 2, and each of us may have two drinks at night. So the package is definitely not worth it for us, we'd have to really work at it to meet the price min. That's a lot of drinks everyday!

Keeping tabs on our account isn't a problem for us...

I noticed the alcoholic beverage package is listed at $56.25 when you book it online. When we boarded the ship to Vancouver, the price was $49. Why would it be more expensive to pre-order than order online?

We ordered a bottle of Jack Daniels and Skyy Vodka when we boarded. They were both cheaper on the ship than pre-ordering online.

That makes no sense to me.

I noticed the alcoholic beverage package is listed at $56.25 when you book it online. When we boarded the ship to Vancouver, the price was $49. Why would it be more expensive to pre-order than order online? On board they will add the 15% gratuity which will make the daily cost $56.35.

We ordered a bottle of Jack Daniels and Skyy Vodka when we boarded. They were both cheaper on the ship than pre-ordering online. On board they will add the 15% gratuity which should bring the on board price up to what you paid pre-cruise.

That makes no sense to me.

Makes sense once you add the 15% gratuity.