Why book a suite on RCI?

We are a retired middle class couple that love the suite life. It's the only class DH will let me book. We certainly don't look down on anyone and resent the inference that we do. DH and I saved for 40 years to enjoy our retirement. We don't feel guilty at all. You are just jealous. I raised 4 kids, one of them handicapped and never went on a cruise until 2011 when hubby retired. Of course we took the kids on vacations but they were car trips around the Midwest and West. We love the service we get in a suite. The room stewards are handpicked and they are wonderful! I love the treats he/she brings and the pillow menu. Hubby likes Oasis class because of the Costal Kitchen. The food there is better than anywhere on the ship, the steaks beat any Steakhouse, and the Coastal Kitchen is always Smart Casual even on Formal Nights. Some do dress in formal wear for evening activities and pictures but it's never required. Maybe some people are snooty but we never met any. At least not in the CK.

You pay from 2-10x as much as a standard cabin. Your room is bigger and the line on and off the ship is shorter. Plus you get to eat in special areas where the unwashed masses are not allowed. And you get to sun in a special exclusive area.

And in exchange for paying an amount of money that would allow you to go on a B2B2B2B in a standard cabin they give you drinks for a few hours a day.

Envy does not become you.

Actually, as much as I love RCCL -- and I do -- they really have been slow to treat suite passengers to the same level of perks as Celebrity (or even NCL, which has made this a focus) have in the suites. However, that appears to be changing dramatically with the new suite program, especially in the Sky and Star classes.

RCCL has decided to go "all in" for suite guests. Who has lost out? Diamond Plus members! Take Oasis for example. In the past the CL was limited to D+, P and suite guests. There were daily hot breakfasts and lunches, with wine and beer.

That has all been scrapped. The meals are gone. Indeed the CL is gone and D+ now have to contend with hordes of Diamonds taking up the limited seats.

Yes, RCCL now lavishes everything on suite guests at the expense of loyal D+!

You pay from 2-10x as much as a standard cabin. Your room is bigger and the line on and off the ship is shorter. Plus you get to eat in special areas where the unwashed masses are not allowed. And you get to sun in a special exclusive area.

And in exchange for paying an amount of money that would allow you to go on a B2B2B2B in a standard cabin they give you drinks for a few hours a day.

Holiday time is precious and I work hard, if we can have a bit of extra pampering from booking a suite then great. If business is a bit quiet then we don't splash out by booking a suite.

When in a suite we don't look down on folks and conversely if not in a suite we don't look at folks in one with envy. We just have fun :)

For this cruiser life is too short for such negative thoughts.

RCCL has decided to go "all in" for suite guests. Who has lost out? Diamond Plus members! Take Oasis for example. In the past the CL was limited to D+, P and suite guests. There were daily hot breakfasts and lunches, with wine and beer.

That has all been scrapped. The meals are gone. Indeed the CL is gone and D+ now have to contend with hordes of Diamonds taking up the limited seats.

I guess the crowd level in the Diamond lounge on Oasis must vary greatly by sailing. We used it every evening on our May 2015 cruise and were always able to find seats. With two stories of seating, two concierges, ample servers, central location, and nice views of the boardwalk, we think it's the nicest D lounge in the fleet AND head and shoulders above most concierge lounges :eek: Sure...it's not a posh as the suite lounge on Oasis but that's ok with us. If we want to experience that, we'll book a full suite.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

We are diamond plus but book suites for the perks, the extra space and the more personal service. I certainly would expect more than my diamond plus perks when I am paying quite a bit more for the suite...it just seems fair. We are pretty loyal to Royal but don't feel like we are owed the same perks as those in a suite unless we are paying for the suite, they don't really owe us for doing what we love to do.

If you use the suite lounge a selection of complimentary wine, champagne , beer and soft drinks are available from 11:00 am to 11:00 pm in the suite lounge

Does Liberty SL follow the Oasis model as well?

Edited by John&LaLa

Thanks for all the information,I now know what to pack for my Transatlantic cruise on Harmony.

Well that's another kettle of fish. I would prepare for total SL overload. Rumor is near 100 Pinnacles aboard. That will totally change dynamics of both SL and CL.

We just enjoy the suites more than the regular rooms. We've worked hard to be able to go travel and enjoy life! And we find that the suites suit us perfectly! When we were on Allure 2 years ago, the CL had beer, wine, soda and water available all day. ;) I'll be posting a review of my trip on Oasis in August.

We also love the suite life, and will be sailing in a CL in just a few shy weeks.

Now mind you even though their is almost all day "potent potables" in suite lounge , for me I just want a glass or two of "bubbly" before dinner.

DH buys the drink card to try new drinks and he probably wastes more than he drinks, but with a full bar in suite lounge he can use it to get the mix he wants, and not just have to have what selection is offered with the lounge.

It is what it is.

We love the suites for the room, and are only able to cruise once a year at this time, so for us, we enjoy.

However, we did book a get a way land vacation to Disney in October to see Halloween event......................I guess regressing our childhood.

Have a safe holiday

Edited by Lionesss

Funny, we have talked to several + members in the SL and none are bitter and all pretty much like the direction RCCL is taking. + are not excluded from the SL at all. And there are around 18 different locations on o class to use the drink coupons

Funny, we have talked to several + members in the SL and none are bitter and all pretty much like the direction RCCL is taking. + are not excluded from the SL at all. And there are around 18 different locations on o class to use the drink coupons

Not arguing your point, but + members in SL have to be in a suite, right.

Edited by John&LaLa

I will be in a suite and do I still be able to use my drink coupons elsewhere if the SL is crowd?

I will be in a suite and do I still be able to use my drink coupons elsewhere if the SL is crowd?

No vouchers for suite passengers unless you are already Diamond or higher in C&A. Sorry

If you're D/D+ or PC you will have drink coupons. The coupons can be used at designated bars during the cocktail hours the SL has. This is usually 5:00 - 8:30 pm.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

If you're D/D+ or PC you will have drink coupons. The coupons can be used at designated bars during the cocktail hours the SL has. This is usually 5:00 - 8:30 pm.

Very nice ,now I have to look for the best place to use my coupons

On Harmony.

I know the SL will be crowd with so many Pinacles

Edited by iSailor

We are D+ and still working so have limited vacation time. This year we will get in one 7 day and one 5 day cruise. We book suites for the space and the perks. Looking forward to our first Star Class experience on Anthem. My understanding is that we get lots of perks including free premium drink package, gratuities, specialty restaurants, saved theater seats (anywhere in the theater) and the Royal Genie. We have booked nothing in advance and the Genie will take care of everything. If I only have limited days at sea each year, then this is the way I want to cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Simply not true.

Diamond Plus do not have access to the Suite Lounge unless they are in a suite that qualifies on its own.

Funny, the SL allows anyone from 1st time cruiser to P. If you don't want to meet the standard that's your problem and yours alone. Many d and + use the SL so it is true

The reserved seating at the theatre and ice show is not the best. At the ice show, we ignore the reserved section and head to the front row on the side. Fabulous!

On Oasis in January the suite reserved seating was on the starboard side along the side. We sat in the front row and it made a world of difference in what we saw. Loved it!

Well that's another kettle of fish. I would prepare for total SL overload. Rumor is near 100 Pinnacles aboard. That will totally change dynamics of both SL and CL.

I've heard closer to 200.

Funny, the SL allows anyone from 1st time cruiser to P. If you don't want to meet the standard that's your problem and yours alone. Many d and + use the SL so it is true

I may be wrong but we (D+) on some ships are not allowed in the SL...HOTS for example no access on our status alone...we must be in a GS or above.