Two sets of prices????

I've been thinking about a Prinsendam cruise for next year. I looked a few weeks ago and saved a screenshot of the prices. That's the page I got when I chose the cruise from a search. Did the same thing today, and the prices are mostly $200 less, except OV, which went up $100. BUT here's the crazy thing, when I click continue and get to the page where I can choose a cabin category, all the prices are higher than on the previous page. (and higher than on the first page from a few weeks ago.)

How can HAL show two sets of starting prices????? Both pages I looked aty today say "you may qualify for special prices" but I didn't bother to sign in, so it isn't a case of Mariner vs nonmariner prices. The first page says "prices from" and the second page says "starting at." Isn't that the same thing???? And yes, both pages show taxes, fees, and port charges as extra (same amount).

What gives, HAL????

... How can HAL show two sets of starting prices????? ... What gives, HAL????

Has HAL responded to your questions yet? I was going to respond until I realized that you directed them to HAL and not to your fellow CCers. In any event, if/when you receive HAL's response, please post it here on CC.

Smooth sailing ...

Think the "from" price is for a guarantee cabin. Once you start choosing, the price goes up.

Yes, often the "from" price is for a guarantee only. But the "starting" prices are the guarantee prices, too. At least that's how it works on my upcoming fall cruise. I can't find a reason for two consecutive pages to disagree with each other.

Has HAL responded to your questions yet? I was going to respond until I realized that you directed them to HAL and not to your fellow CCers. In any event, if/when you receive HAL's response, please post it here on CC.

Smooth sailing ...

The "What gives, HAL?" is rhetorical. I haven't contacted them, and probably won't bother. Just wondered if anyone here has seen this kind of discrepancy.

The "What gives, HAL?" is rhetorical. I haven't contacted them, and probably won't bother. Just wondered if anyone here has seen this kind of discrepancy.

No worries about explaining. I'm sure most posters understood. I have to agree with the other poster about the pricing being up due to explore 4. That makes sense to me. I've seen it the other way too where a lower price is shown after "drilling down". I bet tomorrow or the next day the prices will match.

No worries about explaining. I'm sure most posters understood. I have to agree with the other poster about the pricing being up due to explore 4. That makes sense to me. I've seen it the other way too where a lower price is shown after "drilling down". I bet tomorrow or the next day the prices will match.

But that doesn't really help the OP does it? It doesn't really explain why one price showed on one screen and another on another screen. And the OP could not get the price shown (better).

But that doesn't really help the OP does it? It doesn't really explain why one price showed on one screen and another on another screen. And the OP could not get the price shown (better).

I'm not sure I understand your post. What does the op could not get the price shown better mean? It's not clear to me. She was wondering why and I explained what I've seen. Hal is the only one that can provide the exact reason. All posts will just be conjecture.

Looks like you are right on. I just checked my Panama Canal cruise for next April and the first page price is $3299 but when I go to book it is $4199! $1800 more (for 2 people) is about the "value" of the perks IMO, but certainly no big deal.

When I compare my Anniversary Sale deal (perks plus fare price) it is definitely better than this new Explore4 deal, at least on this cruise.

Of course this comparison will differ by cruise (and cabin category) and what your current deal is, so please work up a comparison for yourself. One size does not fit all!

Edited by DaveOKC

... makes me wonder why OP doesn't direct his/her questions to HAL, if he/she is sincerely interested in getting answers ... but that does not appear to be OP's interest - he/she appears to be more intent on venting than in getting useful information ...

Edited by avian777

I'm going to guess that HAL is upping prices for E4 at the cabin category level (and therefore those web pages) and their system hasn't transferred the updated prices to the overview web pages. The TA cruise I've been eying for a couple months has just increased at the cabin category level by $250pp but the overview page for the cruise is still showing the lower price. Its a 15 day cruise, so it's still a good deal to get it with E4... 9 sea days - I've done the math!

Think the "from" price is for a guarantee cabin. Once you start choosing, the price goes up.

Also looks that way to me. Tried a booking with the lowest category guaranteed cabin and the lower price came up. Location (aft, mid or forward) also changed the fares.

Edited by take us away

As I wrote in a previous post Explore4 has been on offer in Europe for about 10 days. Just a few days before the promo started I noticed a price increase of 200-500 Euros depending on the cruise - I have been monitoring several we're keen on booking on.

I also noticed that my favourite travel agency still offered the lower prices so I tried to lock in a booking for one transatlantic we thought of booking. But it came to nothing because they informed me that the pricing offered was a special price HAL offers for the time without promotions. They gave me the price for the TA which was 600 Euros p.p. higher - something I found excessive even with the drinks package included. So I declined the offer.

The second cruise I'm considering is 200 Euros more for a 7-day-cruise. I'm only wondering if the prices of today will stay the same or change again when Explore 4 starts in the US - last year there was a SECOND price increase two days after the promotion started overseas...

I'm going to guess that HAL is upping prices for E4 at the cabin category level (and therefore those web pages) and their system hasn't transferred the updated prices to the overview web pages. The TA cruise I've been eying for a couple months has just increased at the cabin category level by $250pp but the overview page for the cruise is still showing the lower price. Its a 15 day cruise, so it's still a good deal to get it with E4... 9 sea days - I've done the math!

I get that E4 will likely bump up prices. But if the price increase happens now, I could be booking a cruise at the E4 rate today without getting the E4 goodies I'd get if I waited a few days. That isn't right. The price bump should not happen until the promo is in effect.

And that still doesn't explain why the prices change from page to page for the same cruise. I tried some dummy bookings, and the guarantee price was the "starting" price on the second page (where the prices were higher). I never found the opening page prices,not for any cabin category. And there's a THIRD set of prices if I sign in to my mariner account before I price the cruise. Same first page, but the second page has different prices than the nonmariner second page--some higher, some lower.

If I have time to sit on hold and then hear "uhh, must be a computer glitch," I may try calling HAL. Or not. HAL's tech people need to do better. Department store websites change thousands of prices at the start and end of sales all the time. HAL should be better able to manage its website.

I get that E4 will likely bump up prices. But if the price increase happens now, I could be booking a cruise at the E4 rate today without getting the E4 goodies I'd get if I waited a few days. That isn't right. The price bump should not happen until the promo is in effect.

And that still doesn't explain why the prices change from page to page for the same cruise. I tried some dummy bookings, and the guarantee price was the "starting" price on the second page (where the prices were higher). I never found the opening page prices,not for any cabin category. And there's a THIRD set of prices if I sign in to my mariner account before I price the cruise. Same first page, but the second page has different prices than the nonmariner second page--some higher, some lower.

If I have time to sit on hold and then hear "uhh, must be a computer glitch," I may try calling HAL. Or not. HAL's tech people need to do better. Department store websites change thousands of prices at the start and end of sales all the time. HAL should be better able to manage its website.

A couple of thoughts, assuming that you are outside of final payment:

You can book today and ask your TA or HAL PCC to get you Explore4 - reportedly some people have already done this.

Second, you can book today and on Monday call your TA or PCC and have them add Explore4 to your booking for free (I have done this several times without a problem).

Third, you can just wait until Monday - easiest and safest way IMO.

A couple of thoughts, assuming that you are outside of final payment:

You can book today and ask your TA or HAL PCC to get you Explore4 - reportedly some people have already done this.

Second, you can book today and on Monday call your TA or PCC and have them add Explore4 to your booking for free (I have done this several times without a problem).

Third, you can just wait until Monday - easiest and safest way IMO.

Thanks, Dave. My plan for this cruise is yet another option, wait until Sept and decide then if I'm going to book this, and if I am, do it on board to get whatever benefits they give me there. Then I'll transfer to my TA and see if she can beat their price. (I'll probably check prices with her before I go--I'm hoping she can get me another great deal by declining Ex4)

I guess I'm not being clear with this thread. I'm not trying to decide what to do, I'm wondering why HAL has such internal inconsistency, especially the price jump from the page you see on a search (the bait?) and the actual prices when you try to book (the switch?). Even the guarantee prices turn out to be higher than the "from" and "starting" prices.

It's the P'dam Celtic cruise for next June, if anyone wants to look at it to see what I mean. I don't usually watch prices, but so many people talk about price changes that I've been watching this one since it's so far away and promotions can come and go in that time.

Purely theoretical, just wondered if anyone else had seen this kind of thing.

I have seen what you are talking about in two different situations. I think currently they are changing prices for Explore 4 and the two pages aren't in sync yet. The second way I have seen this is where you go to cabin selection and the guarantee rates are the low ones listed on page 1. Or, possibly it's a rate for a category that's sold out and, therefore, not listed.

....BUT here's the crazy thing, when I click continue and get to the page where I can choose a cabin category, all the prices are higher than on the previous page. (and higher than on the first page from a few weeks ago.)

The exact same thing happened to me today on the HAL site.

Looking at a cruise this October. Not Explore4. No promos noted.

I logged in to my Mariner account, choose the cruise and the page I get has all pricing except for Suites in green and call it "special pricing" as opposed to "public fare".

The inside price is $1299 +tax (I realize this is the "from" price).

When I start the online booking process ("Continue" button) and choose "inside" and choose my own cabin, I get a long list of categories N to I and the $1299 does not show up. At all, no where.

Hmm, then I do the "Pick you own cabin" and it is the same, no $1299.

So, this is still going on.

Bait and switch? Incompetence? I don't know.

I do know that this is annoying big time, especially after reading this thread with other examples.

Any ideas?

I logged in to my Mariner account, choose the cruise and the page I get has all pricing except for Suites in green and call it "special pricing" as opposed to "public fare".

When I start the online booking process ("Continue" button) and choose "inside" and choose my own cabin, I get a long list of categories N to I and the $1299 does not show up. At all, no where.

I do know that this is annoying big time, especially after reading this thread with other examples.

Any ideas?

Seems normal to me. The advertised price of $1299 is normally for guarantees only.

Any ideas?

That is exactly what I was trying to book.

I think the issue is that you chose your own cabin. You were trying to book a guarantee if I read your posts correctly. To do a guarantee, you need to "let them choose". Try that and see if you get the price you saw and do let us know.

Hope I have not misread and it helps.

I think the issue is that you chose your own cabin. You were trying to book a guarantee if I read your posts correctly. To do a guarantee, you need to "let them choose". Try that and see if you get the price you saw and do let us know.

Hope I have not misread and it helps.

Thanks for the post. I explained this badly.

Same thing happens, exactly same prices with the "let them choose".

Absolutely nowhere does the 1299.00 show up.