It seems like most people feel Carnival's food and service quality have declined...

Carleeb12

What, really, is the value in comparing food on Cruiseline X with Cruiseline Y or Z. In reality that is like comparing apples to oranges since ALL cruiselines have a differing business plan, most have differing prices.

Since food is subjective it is difficult to debate the pros and cons when evaluating it...everyones opinion differs based on personal taste and personal preferences.

The bottom line is really about any individual basing their opinion on whether the "food" met their personal expectations and was value for the dollar. Sure a person can say that the food was of a higher or lower quality from a Carnival cruise to a Carnival cruise they took last year, or 5 to 50 years ago. But, I for one, temper even that evaluation taking into consideration all the elements like the percentage of my disposal income I spend and how many people on my cruise.

If exemplary food, in my opinion, was the reason I cruise a particular line and Carnival didn't meet my expectations I would have to re-evaluate where I spend my cruise dollars. But if I find things to eat that I enjoy and my hunger is satiated and my belly stays full on any given cruise that works for me.

Been on two different cruise lines recently. Both had steak on the menu, and not a skirt steak but a real steak. Cruise lines always had a MDR, serving many, and the food is not always great, but Carnival initiated the American Table menu. It's nothing more than diner food now to save money. People that go on different lines, notice that the quality on Carnival is on the bottom. Broken record or not, it is commonly noted.

I encourage anyone, to try "any" cruise line that does not start with the letter C

You do realize the American Table menu closely resembles that of the MDR menus on your precious cruise line right? :rolleyes: I also find it funny that even though you deny it, food is one of the #1 complaints of that cruise line.

Also, the "real steak" you speak of is the worst cut of beef Ive ever put in my mouth. I doubt it was even Choice quality and was so tough you had to saw through it. Absolutely without a shadow of doubt the worst steak Ive ever had. Ive kept trying hoping it was a fluke and keep getting the same results.

As far as those who sail both lines, the overwhelming majority prefer Carnivals food over your precious cruise lines food. If you are gonna deny that, prove me wrong. There is no comparing their included options and Chops just wish it could be half the steakhouse Carnivals steakhouses are.

Yep, you are a broken record spewing your usual anti Carnival drivel and everyone has caught on and Im sure your opinion means nothing here.

Edited by ryano

Food quality is down across most cruise lines. Recently spent 2 weeks on Celebrity and the food was terrible. I think with the increased supply of cabins in the industry and the need to keep prices low to fill them, the food budgets have been slashed. Actually some cruises are so cheap that eating in the specialty restaurants almost every night is a good option.

I find the food on Carnival better now than in early 2011 (before the previous "new menus").

I do think that most of the lines are reducing their food budgets and therefore quality. Celebrity has good food but I'd put it equal with Carnival (or maybe Carnival a smidge above), but Royal and Disney are both a step down from the food on Carnival.

In fact, if I had to pick one cruise line where their MDR food has declined the worst, it would be Disney. In 2010, their MDR food was very good - now it's passable and there are many dishes on the menus that aren't good at all.

I had the flat iron steak on my last Carnival cruise twice (normally I might have 1 in a week) because the first one was so good. They were served perfectly medium rare and both were hot, tender and juicy. Is it a sirloin or filet? Of course not. It is a good tasting steak though.

I don't share that opinion. I think the quality is good, and the selections have increased. It's not 5 star dining but comparable to a nationwide chain restaurant like Applebee's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden.

I find the food on Carnival better now than in early 2011 (before the previous "new menus").

I do think that most of the lines are reducing their food budgets and therefore quality. Celebrity has good food but I'd put it equal with Carnival (or maybe Carnival a smidge above), but Royal and Disney are both a step down from the food on Carnival.

In fact, if I had to pick one cruise line where their MDR food has declined the worst, it would be Disney. In 2010, their MDR food was very good - now it's passable and there are many dishes on the menus that aren't good at all.

I had the flat iron steak on my last Carnival cruise twice (normally I might have 1 in a week) because the first one was so good. They were served perfectly medium rare and both were hot, tender and juicy. Is it a sirloin or filet? Of course not. It is a good tasting steak though.

That is absolutely the only way to order a flat iron steak. As rare as you can stand it! Anything over medium rare and you might as well chew on your shoe sole. I have never ever had a good "Aged Manhattan strip steak" that RC serves and Ive tried it several times. They are terrible.

Food is a big deal to me. One of the reasons I chose Carnival for my last cruise was hearing from unbiased sources that travel both RC and Carnival saying Carnivals food was better. I couldnt possibly agree anymore with that than I currently do. Look where I will be for my next one.

Edited by ryano

Yep, you are a broken record spewing your usual anti Carnival drivel and everyone has caught on and Im sure your opinion means nothing here.

Geez, so much disrespect toward our own people (cruisers) just because of differing opinions...

One day, we're going to be reading threads about bare knuckle brawls aboard a ship in one of those Cruisecritic roll-call Greet and Meets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Geez, so much disrespect toward our own people (cruisers) just because of differing opinions...

One day, we're going to be reading threads about bare knuckle brawls aboard a ship in one of those Cruisecritic roll-call Greet and Meets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have come real close to a brawl on at least a few meet and greets.

I remember the days when the server would come and scrape the crumbs off the tablecloth between courses. These days it can be difficult to even find a tablecloth!

There are still cruise lines out there that provide top notch food and dining service. You just have to pay a lot more for that.

Thank goodness we have choices. There's something for everyone.

I remember the days when the server would come and scrape the crumbs off the tablecloth between courses. These days it can be difficult to even find a tablecloth!

There are still cruise lines out there that provide top notch food and dining service. You just have to pay a lot more for that.

Thank goodness we have choices. There's something for everyone.

Scraping crumbs is a mark of a more upscale establishment and none of the mainstream lines meet that definition. If I want that sort of service I know that I have to pay for it and since it really doesn't add to my dining experience I'd just as soon not pay for it.

We did two Celebrity cruises last year and IMO the food was worse than Carnivals. Now I'm not saying Carnivals food is good either!

Can you describe what was worse than Carnival's?

From last year I remember eight types of eggs Benedict for breakfast, escargots every dinner and so on on Celebrity ships.

What amazed me again how knowledgable were waitors. They had extensive training before every dinner and could describe in details every dish. We were using anytime dining, so it was not just one, but every waitor serving us.

Edited by Tatka

HAL also has eggs Benedict in many variations every day. They pre pour the OJ though and it has to be stirred. And it's in a strange place, easy to overlook.

I like CCL's escargot in the MDR but not in the Steakhouse. Same for Caesar salad. It's a big chunk in the Steakhouse.

CCL has good hot chocolate, lemonade. I like the coffee too. Once on Inspiration it was so strong everyone was putting water in it. Did the Chef's Table and the group of 13 people told him so and he said that's the way people like it. Huh? We all just said we don't.

HAL also has eggs Benedict in many variations every day. They pre pour the OJ though and it has to be stirred. And it's in a strange place, easy to overlook.

I like CCL's escargot in the MDR but not in the Steakhouse. Same for Caesar salad. It's a big chunk in the Steakhouse.

CCL has good hot chocolate, lemonade. I like the coffee too. Once on Inspiration it was so strong everyone was putting water in it. Did the Chef's Table and the group of 13 people told him so and he said that's the way people like it. Huh? We all just said we don't.

In last few years OJ is so watery not worth drinking. Coffee has improved. Used to add hot water now I do not.

I found the food in MDR on Vista to be far better than the last couple of Carnival cruises I took on Paradise. So it has improved from my perspective. I always find the offerings in Lido depend greatly on the amount of space they have on that ship class.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't share that opinion. I think the quality is good, and the selections have increased. It's not 5 star dining but comparable to a nationwide chain restaurant like Applebee's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden.

Hard to discuss food quality with someone who thinks Applebee's is good.

Put me down for a DITTO vote.

Yes, overall food quality and service have declined recently. My last cruise a month ago had me thinking the best meal on the ship was the Guy's Burger. :) Steakhouse service was good, but a definite decline in the steak quality.

Hard to discuss food quality with someone who thinks Applebee's is good.

Harder to discuss food quality with someone that doesn't respect other people's tastes;). To many people, Applebee's does fall into the "good" category and since we all have a different definition of "good" it's everyone's taste buds for themselves.

Been cruising with Carnival since 1997 off and on and I find the food wonderful and a great selection, I have always found something to eat. The main reason I enjoy the MDR is because I'm sitting with my husband and sometimes my family or new friends and I don't have to cook. I can sit and relax and enjoy being waited on . I enjoy being with everybody , laughing and having a wonderful cruise. I always have a great cruise. I've taken two cruises on NCL and their food wasn't as good but I didn't starve. I'm just happy to be cruising.

Any meal that I don't have to shop for, prepare, cook, serve, clean up after and do the dishes is a good meal ;) There has been the odd new food that I've tried that I wasn't fussy on but it's not something I would even try at home. There has never been a meal where I haven't found something that I liked.

When I'm in the US I enjoy Applebee's.......Maybe the finer dining in a mess hall on rations has made me appreciate cruise ship food and chain restaurants more than some....:p

Any meal that I don't have to shop for, prepare, cook, serve, clean up after and do the dishes is a good meal ;) There has been the odd new food that I've tried that I wasn't fussy on but it's not something I would even try at home. There has never been a meal where I haven't found something that I liked.

When I'm in the US I enjoy Applebee's.......Maybe the finer dining in a mess hall on rations has made me appreciate cruise ship food and chain restaurants more than some....:p

Thanks for your service

Scraping crumbs is a mark of a more upscale establishment and none of the mainstream lines meet that definition. If I want that sort of service I know that I have to pay for it and since it really doesn't add to my dining experience I'd just as soon not pay for it.

Actually on several recent cruises the waitstaff did do that.

Was a little embarassed as to the quantity to be scraped but that is another story.:)

Of course everyone's taste is different, so I have no expectations of being able to predict what someone else might like, but I am always amazed (this thread isn't the first time I have seen it) when someone states that the beat "meal" they had on the cruise was a hamburger at Guy's. :eek:

lucky there is something for everyone :D

happy sailing everyone

I enjoyed most of the food in the MDR and thought it was quite good overall with a good variety of selection. Some misses as well but overall really good. Think the choices are more contemporary compared to old menu, and the vegetarian options are really good, even for meat eaters like me. Things from the old days like baked Alaska and midnight buffets seem a bit too old fashioned for my taste.The buffet can be hit or miss but most buffets are. Wish there was a tapas/appetizers section in buffet. Like the food choices, love the steakhouse and chefs table, and like eating the local foods in port. Also the chicken fingers are really good.