Stolen Passport (Russia - St. Petersburg)

Harley0711

I am posting this story to maybe help someone else while traveling in Russia - St Petersburg port to be exact - but will help anywhere in RUSSIA

I just got home from a GREAT Emerald Princess Baltic heritage cruise (July 9-23) We had a two day port call in St. Petersburg, Russia ( I LOVED this port ) we had a Private / Independent Tour with ALLA Tours (GREAT) our group was a total of 14. Day one long day 8-5. We had only two people in our group that was staying for the evening show (Folk dancing) Since we were about 30 min from the ship - our guide dropped them off at a Restaurant while she returned the rest of us to the ship - then she came back to pick them up and deliver them to the show. The driver was to again pick them up and return them to the ship.

Before I go on with this story - I want to share with you the MOST important part of all of this and RUSSIA. UNLESS you have a Russian Visa (which 99.99% of people on a cruise do NOT have) your Ticket each day (either on a private/Independent or Princess excursion) IS YOUR TEMPORARY Visa and ONLY good for the times on the Ticket. When you leave the ship the first day - each of you will pass through Russian Immigration - you will present your ticket and Passport - you MUST have BOTH to get through. At the end of the day - you will again pass through Immigration and show your ticket and passport - ONCE you pass through - you will NOT be allowed to go back into the terminal for ANY reason - like I wanted to - to give the wife an address for a post card she was writing - That ticket that day was ONLY good for the times on it...

OK - On with this story. On the way back to the ship - the wife of our couple realized that somehow, somewhere - she had he Passport, Cash and credit cards STOLEN from her Bag = bag was zipped and secured - how this happened is still a mystery and the details have No real bearing to this story... Anyway... NO PASSPORT - She is NOT getting back on the ship - its Now 10:30 at night on the first of a two day Russian visit. The only thing that can be done at this late hour is for the driver to take her to a Hotel for the night until the US Consulate can be called the next day (Sunday). The husband passed though Russian immigrations and went aboard the ship to get her needed Meds for the night - Well, as I stated above - once he crossed that line - he AIN'T going back............. He can NO longer help her - By the grace of God, they Immigrations person allowed him to meet his wife at the line and give her a Hug good-bye...

Off she went to the Hotel - however, NO Passport - Hotel would NOT accept her??? on to a Hostel - pulled up and the Lady said "No way in HELL" Owner of ALLA was called - she had a daughter who had an apartment in the area but not home - key was found (Now 3:30am) - she spent the night alone...

Next day, police report (from Hell) was filed and US consulate was met and new temp passport was made - took most of the Day...

The brave couple met us in the next port on Monday and told us this story. I wanted to share it here (not giving names) So we can all learn.

When I head this story - the Worst part for me was the fact that once I crossed that line - I could NOT go back and be with my wife - having to leave her and she on her own in Russia - would have really gotten to me.

What I Gleamed from all of this - If we are ever in a country where this could possibly happen and my wife lost or had her passport stolen - NO Way would I leave her - I would magically loose my passport also - only to 'maybe' Magically find it the next day....

lesson --- Remember that ticket is your ONLY TEM Visa for Russia....

Keep close tabs on Passport - maybe hide it on your person and NOT in a bag.

St. Petersburg is a beautiful city and our group with ALLA Tours had a great time... be prepared for LOTS of walking - our group never had any issues and we all had a great time.. because of the LONG Big days, we passed on the evening show and Princess ended up having a FREE 45 min Folk dance show in the Princess theater - Great show and FREE. Those that did either the folk show or the Ballet did not get back to the ship until almost 11pm - only to have to be back on the pier at about 0730 the next morning... LONG day... skip the evening show.. Unless you can not live with out seeing the Ballet

Sorry, help me out - this is not your review but you cut and pasted from somewhere else? Could you give a link to the original review/post? Thank you.

That is not a cut/paste = its my story and these people were on our Excursion - I just posted here to maybe help out someone else that is going to Russia - was not quiet sure where to post it to get the info out..

if this is not the right place to post this, let me know...

BTW - See you were on the Viking Serenade in 93 - we could have shared a meal together - that was our first ship - 92&93

Edited by Harley0711

Sorry, help me out - this is not your review but you cut and pasted from somewhere else? Could you give a link to the original review/post? Thank you.

First of all this was not a review but a useful piece of information for people who are visiting Russia. I am sure that most of us are completely unaware of this unique aspect of visiting Russia.

Thanks to the OP for posting it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

That is not a cut/paste = its my story - I just posted here to maybe help out someone else that is going to Russia - was not quiet sure where to post it to get the info out..

Yes, thanks. I just wasn't sure if this was your story or something you took off the internet; I always like to have the initial source of the information, if you know what I mean. :)

Interestingly enough, just last night we got our delivery from Amazon of a Travelon Anti-Theft sling bag for our Baltic cruise next year. We are fully aware of the problems in Russia and Europe and want to do all we can pro-actively.

BTW - See you were on the Viking Serenade in 93 - we could have shared a meal together - that was our first ship - 92&93

Indeed! Boy, she was something in the day, huh? I remember we were so impressed at the time. Cruise ships have come a long way. :D

First of all this was not a review but a useful piece of information for people who are visiting Russia...

Right Don. I'm aware. :p

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Yes, thanks. I just wasn't sure if this was your story or something you took off the internet; I always like to have the initial source of the information, if you know what I mean. :)

Interestingly enough, just last night we got our delivery from Amazon of a Travelon Anti-Theft sling bag for our Baltic cruise next year. We are fully aware of the problems in Russia and Europe and want to do all we can pro-actively.

Indeed! Boy, she was something in the day, huh? I remember we were so impressed at the time. Cruise ships have come a long way. :D

Right Don. I'm aware. :p

Both of you (ole timers, here, lol) are right... Stories off the internet can sometime be missing something but this was Me and I was there. Boy did I learn.

Baltic Was a great trip - we really lucked out on weather - Alla tours were great.

Just mind those passports and be aware about crossing back over that 'Line' Russians Mean business -

Viking Serenade - I too remember being so impressed that I wanted to go back at Christmas because it would be so romantic - did not realized that EVERY family would be on board with EVERY kid, lOL... still a nice cruise...

Edited by Harley0711

I am sorry for this person you would have thought someone on the ship could help circumvent her being allowed back on the ship while they reported the loss

Just curious

Was it a purse or a tote bag ? was it left on the tour van at anytime?

I have a pac safe purse & it is on my person at all times with the flap against my body & hooked shut ..I am sure a skillful pickpocket might be able to get in but if in doubt hide the passport on your person & not with the string on those neck pouches showing

My friend wears her security pouch on the outside of her top DUH!!! :eek:

I am sorry for this person you would have thought someone on the ship could help circumvent her being allowed back on the ship while they reported the loss

Just curious

Was it a purse or a tote bag ? was it left on the tour van at anytime?

I have a pac safe purse & it is on my person at all times with the flap against my body & hooked shut ..I am sure a skillful pickpocket might be able to get in but if in doubt hide the passport on your person & not with the string on those neck pouches showing

My friend wears her security pouch on the outside of her top DUH!!! :eek:

From everything I gleamed from that night - NOTHING could be done from the ship - NO Passport - no getting on... because IF she got on and decided NOT to get off the next day - then a person was allowed to Leave Russia without a Passport... That was the way it was explained to me by the way the Russian feel about it... They are that serious about proper paperwork.

She had a zippered bag on her side that she kept closed and in front of her (her words) However, because she said she Never felt anything - it is unknown when or where. I was told by her that while talking to the US consulate - he told her that last week he had 10 stolen passports.. Sounds like a LOT but once you see just how many tourists there are in St. Petersburg, its not all that big...

Pick Pockets are very Good and they target certain people - all we can do is make it hard enough where they stop looking at US and target someone else.

They are like the Lion laying in the grass and watching the heard - if they spot you and zero in - you make the slightest error - your had...

However I will NOT live my life in fear - I will just be more careful knowing they will just look past me and find someone else... Its out there and always will be - this story is to keep people awake.. and make their jobs harder and harder

We were also on the Viking Serenade back in 90-92, total of 3 cruises.

Challenging story. I think a country with less stringent immigration issues would have been much easier to deal with.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thank you for posting this. It's great information for everyone, not only for Russia, but for every port. I know that you have to have your passport with you in Russia, but let this be a lesson for those who insist on taking their passports with them off the ship in ports of call where it's not necessary to have a passport. My TA put all his stuff in the locked trunk of a rental car in Grand Cayman only to have it broken into and all the passports, credit cards and money taken for his family of 6. Lesson learned----don't take your passports with you unless the law requires it.

You can purchase a Spibelt, which is probably the greatest thing I've ever bought for traveling. It fits passports, money, credit cards and even the big iPhone and goes around your waist under your slacks and top. It's been a great find for all my travels.

Thanks for posting this and for reaffirming that we've made the right decision in not getting off the ship in St. Petersburg next month.

Any place that's that much of a hassle to visit, just isn't worth my time or money. There are plenty of other more welcoming cities in the world.

Thanks for posting this and for reaffirming that we've made the right decision in not getting off the ship in St. Petersburg next month.

It is more about being cautious with your passport & other valuables than just staying on the ship

There are bad people everywhere

Just keep your documents in a pouch UNDER your clothing

787dd241-f37a-4f64-ae21-12b163a8643a_1.ee8eff01f4bc7da050529e358752a03c.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Seems a shame to miss such an interesting city as SPB

to each his own though

From everything I gleamed from that night - NOTHING could be done from the ship - NO Passport - no getting on... because IF she got on and decided NOT to get off the next day - then a person was allowed to Leave Russia without a Passport... That was the way it was explained to me by the way the Russian feel about it... They are that serious about proper paperwork.

Yes they are a stickler for paperwork in Russia

Too bad they had such an ordeal with the authorities there

A good lesson for anyone travelling internationally, not just in SPB. I never carry our passports in a purse or pocket. They go into either a money belt or neck pouch under our clothing. Ditto any thing else of value. The only thing in our travel wallets is a days worth of cash and one credit card. Pick pockets are just too common.

Any place that's that much of a hassle to visit, just isn't worth my time or money. There are plenty of other more welcoming cities in the world.

I would encourage you to visit St. Petersburg - It really is a wonderful place and I enjoyed it a LOT... Just have to be very careful - The ONLY way to get off the ship is on an organized tour OR you have your own Visa (take months to get) WE used ALLA and I would recommend over the ships tours, much less and much smaller group - just be prepared for LOTS of walking,

However, you must do what you feel is good for you - I us a http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Fatboy-S-Type-Versipack-Closeout-FINAL-SALE-29p49.htm

and Love it... over the shoulder and in front/side all the time, Wife carries NOTHING -

These guys usually look for what they feel are EASY targets - do you best to NOT be one - they will just look past you and find someone else - that's the best we can do... they are Not going away

Just have to be very careful - The ONLY way to get off the ship is on an organized tour OR you have your own Visa (take months to get)

I know, that's the main reason we've decided to stay on the ship. We don't enjoy organized tours and we booked the trip on short notice so getting individual visas is out of the question.

If we feel the need to visit Russia, we'll apply for visas in due time and take a long weekend there.

There are bad people everywhere

Obviously, but my comment had more to do with Russia's draconian policies than the fact that the people's valuables went missing.

Edited by ExpatBride

I visited St. Petersburg last year and the immigration process was, by design, the most intimidating I've ever witnessed. I had a lady alternate staring at me and my passport photo for about 3 minutes before she started to process my entry ... I'll just assume she's read my posts online and couldn't believe it was me. ;)

I also toured with ALLA and I had a bad moment. I had a large messenger bag that served as my camera bag. At one of the locations (Katherine's Palace, I believe), I was not allowed to bring it past security. I ended up having to check it and receive a chit to get it returned. If I had made a purely sane decision, I would have said the heck with it and waited outside ... but I was on vacation, there was a ton of security around, and I had all of my money and documents on my person so I left my bag and extra equipment at the desk. It all worked out fine, but gee whiz, it's easy to get "travel brain" while abroad.

I tend to have several different security methods. A chest-hanging pocket with a tucked in shirt is one precaution. I also have jackets and vests (ScotteVest) that have large, interior zippered compartments that have made me feel more secure and are also dead useful when navigating airport security (jacket goes in the bin with personal items like a phone instead of trying to jam all of those things in a carry on).

I visited St. Petersburg last year and the immigration process was, by design, the most intimidating I've ever witnessed. I had a lady alternate staring at me and my passport photo for about 3 minutes before she started to process my entry ... I'll just assume she's read my posts online and couldn't believe it was me. ;)

I also toured with ALLA and I had a bad moment. I had a large messenger bag that served as my camera bag. At one of the locations (Katherine's Palace, I believe), I was not allowed to bring it past security. I ended up having to check it and receive a chit to get it returned. If I had made a purely sane decision, I would have said the heck with it and waited outside ... but I was on vacation, there was a ton of security around, and I had all of my money and documents on my person so I left my bag and extra equipment at the desk. It all worked out fine, but gee whiz, it's easy to get "travel brain" while abroad.

I tend to have several different security methods. A chest-hanging pocket with a tucked in shirt is one precaution. I also have jackets and vests (ScotteVest) that have large, interior zippered compartments that have made me feel more secure and are also dead useful when navigating airport security (jacket goes in the bin with personal items like a phone instead of trying to jam all of those things in a carry on).

Interesting - my experience with the lady at the window was 100% painless - fast and easy both days - go figure..

about the bag... right on - However, you guilde with Alla should have warned you - ours did and told all of us NOT to bring a big bag - she explained the size - she told us we would NOT be allowed to bring it in.. Too bad they forgot to warn you. We had a great guide and ST. Petersburg was a favorite port of mine... Love it all

Edited by Harley0711

We were on an Azamara Baltic cruise last summer. We had a 3 day tour with SPB. Everything went very smoothly. Absolutely no problems. In fact we mentioned that our experience was much more less stressful than going to New York. Guess it just depends on the way the cards fall.......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the Baltics this past September. St Petersburg is a beautiful city to visit. I can understand your point Expat Bride with your location. You could grab a ferry to St Petersburg and handle your visit that way. We used TJ Travel and had a private tour with just the 5 of us. That was a really nice experience and we got to move at our pace.

St. Petersburg is a fascinating city with world class museums. We would go back in a heartbeat. It really isn't a hassle to visit - just let your tour company do all the visa work and follow their instructions disembarking the ship.

Pickpockets are everywhere and are commonly complained about in Paris and Barcelona and other major cities and precautions must be taken anywhere you travel.

I am impressed that the victim was able to see a consular officer and get a new passport on a Sunday. The official workweek at the consulate in St. Petersburg is Monday through Friday.

Our friends were very impressed with the US rep - he had recent rotator surgery and his arm was in a sling - still worked very hard - the hassele was getting a PD report and finding a place to take the proper size photo. Pretty much done by afternoon.