Balony or Inside Cabin?

Hammersmith

I am hoping to book a nice cruise up to Alaska but not sure about balcony or inside - was told it is a scenic trip and balcony would be better but they are going for $1,000 EACH person more expensive! Are the decks good for looking out and are there plenty of seats usually outside? Thanks.

Personal choice

If you spend all your time on your balcony you only see things on that side of the ship

Go up top or one of the indoor public rooms where you can see more scenery

JMO

We sailed Alaska in an outside cabin. We had a porthole but no balcony. It was our second cruise and didn't really know any better. It was fine. I would sit on the bed and look out of the porthole. We spent time on the outside decks as well.

I have to agree with Krazy Kruisers, excursions in Alaska can be expensive so you might want to consider that before booking a balcony.

I am too claustrophobic to handle inside cabins. I need a window. When I cruised Alaska, I had an outside cabin with no balcony and was perfectly happy with that arrangement. There is plenty of deck space for taking in the scenery, and I had enough of a budget to go on a few great excursions.

We just came back from Alaska about two weeks ago. I agree with the previous answers. Go for the inside, make use of the public areas, and spend on some of the excursions. We got up early, went to the top deck on our cruise ship and were able to see a 180 degrees view. It was beautiful. The people we met who had balconies were happy with the space but complained that could not sit outside because it was extremely cold and the wind was strong.

On the plus side.... We travelled on the Explorer of the Seas and once we got to the Glacier, the captain turned the ship, for what felt like about an hour, so that everyone on the balconies could see.

I think I am the dissenting person, who would definitely recommend a balcony cabin for your Alaskan cruise. I went to Alaska last September and found the balcony was worth the money due to the spectacular scenery and ability to see wildlife right from your balcony. Tracy Arm Fjord was the most beautiful day ever spent cruising and I was so happy to have the balcony. I took a million pictures from the balcony and was able to go in and out of my room to warm up. To me, I much preferred this to being on an upper deck with a lot of people. The ship turns around when it gets to the glacier, so you spend an equal amount of time facing the other side of the fjord too (so you are not missing anything). I much preferred seeing the scenery from the privacy of my balcony with my husband - it was almost a spiritual experience.

We split the difference between balcony and inside cabins. We sign up for an obstructed ocean view.

This gives us natural light and we can look out at the weather.

The savings allows us to take more than one cruise a year.

And, we spend very little time in the cabin anyway. Moving around on the top decks will allow you to see more than the restricted view of a balcony.

Bob

For an Alaskan cruise we got an inside cabin. It was to chilly and to misty and just not nice weather to be on a balcony.

When we wanted to go outside we just went up and out.....Some of the days are warm and its nice outside....but mostly early in the morning it was to foggy and misty and a waste of money.

Now ports south........always get a balcony

I use to think that you had to book a balcony cabin for an Alaska cruise.

After several Alaska Cruises I now believe that $$$ spent for a balcony , may be better spent on the unique (an expensive shore tours) .

But it depends on the ship chosen. One with lots of glass for inside viewing if weather is not cooperating .

Most ships have plenty of outside deck viewing , 360 degree's , not just what you can view from a balcony. The whales will always be on the other side of the ship.

We just booked our first inside for the Alaska cruise next year. Last Alaska cruise the balcony was a total waste of money but it was our first cruise ever. In the Inside Passage there was so much to see on both sides we ended up either on deck most of the time or in lounges with windows for both sides (HAL's Crows Nest is the best top deck lounge we've seen). We spent very little time on our balcony due to rain, wind and cold temps. In Southern Caribbean we really liked the balcony at night for a nightcap in our pajamas in the tropical warmth but that would not be an option in Alaska.

Also, I prefer a totally pitch black dark room for sleeping and from May to July the sun is up until around midnight and rises at 3am or so. An inside will help with this as some light always leaks around curtains.

While we enjoyed having a balcony on one cruise to Alaska, I'm glad we got it as a free upgrade and didn't have to pay full price for it. On our other two cruises to Alaska, we had obstructed view cabins, which were fine for natural light in the daytime and for being able to see a little bit of water and land at times. When we saw something interesting, we'd grab our binoculars and head down to the promenade.

To be honest, I don't think we'll ever pay to have a balcony in Alaska. I prefer having one on Caribbean cruises, but even then I won't splurge if the difference in price is too much. Going on a cruise in an inside or obstructed view is better than not going at all.

I think I am the dissenting person' date=' who would definitely recommend a balcony cabin for your Alaskan cruise. I went to Alaska last September and found the balcony was worth the money due to the spectacular scenery and ability to see wildlife right from your balcony. Tracy Arm Fjord was the most beautiful day ever spent cruising and I was so happy to have the balcony. I took a million pictures from the balcony and was able to go in and out of my room to warm up. To me, I much preferred this to being on an upper deck with a lot of people. The ship turns around when it gets to the glacier, so you spend an equal amount of time facing the other side of the fjord too (so you are not missing anything). I much preferred seeing the scenery from the privacy of my balcony with my husband - it was almost a spiritual experience.[/quote']

We had a balcony too- and were able to have friends join us- too crowded for a short person like me to see around people...We loved it for viewing- the ship turns around so you see what everyone see...and able to warm up in our room too! Balcony is worth the $$ if you can do it...

Which ship and line?

It depends if you're 'balcony people' or not. For us a balcony is wasted. We like to be among others outside in the decks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app