Kdam breakfast question......

lahlah57

.......Lido is said to be terrible at peak times......when would be the best times for lido?

Other venues beside the Lido for breakfast? I understand there is always room service but would like to hear what the experienced have worked out for a good start of the day:confused::D

Lido is said to be terrible at peak times......when would be the best times for lido?

Finding a seat after 8AM is difficult at best, near impossible on sea days. One day, we just sat outside near the aft pool. At peak times, we found the best chance for a table in the Canaletto area. The wait at the food stations wasn't that bad at all, a couple of minutes at most.

Other venues beside the Lido for breakfast?

There's the MDR. We saw lines that where longer than at dinner time. We later heard that at 08:30 there was a 20 minute wait to get in.

I've have breakfast in the MDR almost every day. I've never had to wait 20 minutes to get in. I rarely go when it first opens. Can it happen? Yes, but I don't think it's often. You can easily wait that long at night.

Have u sailed on Koningsdam? The queues for breakfast were often very long on our cruise.

I second sitting in the canneletto, other trick is to sit near service stations.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I haven't sailed on the K yet, but my understanding from reading reviews is that room service breakfast is difficult due to there not being a suitable dining table in the cabins. (For any cabin under a Neptune Suite category). Unless you enjoy eating on the bed with the plate in your lap, room service may be reserved for light snacks. :(

Have u sailed on Koningsdam? The queues for breakfast were often very long on our cruise.

I second sitting in the canneletto, other trick is to sit near service stations.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Nope. Can't say that I have. Hopefully time will improve that situation. I wonder what would cause so many issues. Did you go as soon as it opened? I would assume the MDR would be less busy/chaotic than the lido.

I haven't sailed on the K yet, but my understanding from reading reviews is that room service breakfast is difficult due to there not being a suitable dining table in the cabins. (For any cabin under a Neptune Suite category). Unless you enjoy eating on the bed with the plate in your lap, room service may be reserved for light snacks. :(

Are there dining tables on other ships in cabins lower than neptunes? I'm drawing a blank. There are tables, but my recollection is that they are fairly small. Is my memory poor?

Are there dining tables on other ships in cabins lower than neptunes? I'm drawing a blank. There are tables, but my recollection is that they are fairly small. Is my memory poor?

Yes, there are tables - at least in Signature (on the ships where they exist) and Verandahs. Size varies of course.;)

As noted, the Lido can be too busy and room service wasn't an option for us in our balcony room as there is no place to eat comfortably. MDR is your best option but we often experienced waits there. Our sense was that they underestimated what is needed for the number of passengers.

Except for my Prinsendam balcony cabin, which had a large, low, glass cocktail table, all my inside cabins have had oval or rectangular tables that can be raised.

My Nieuw Amsterdam table was quite large, rectangular, as were the tables on the other Signature and Vista ships, as I recall.

The S- and R-class ships had a smaller, oval table. In those cabins I have the tray placed on the desk, and set a place on the table. There is room for the plate (in the hot plate) and coffee cup, with flatware and napkin.

Yes, there are tables - at least in Signature (on the ships where they exist) and Verandahs. Size varies of course.;)

Except for my Prinsendam balcony cabin, which had a large, low, glass cocktail table, all my inside cabins have had oval or rectangular tables that can be raised.

My Nieuw Amsterdam table was quite large, rectangular, as were the tables on the other Signature and Vista ships, as I recall.

The S- and R-class ships had a smaller, oval table. In those cabins I have the tray placed on the desk, and set a place on the table. There is room for the plate (in the hot plate) and coffee cup, with flatware and napkin.

Thank you both. I should take pictures:).

On the k'damin May we firstly tried the MDR. It was very slow service. A friend waited 45 minutes for a cappuccino, as an example. We ordered American breakfast but asked for the eggs to be poached. Half an hour later out came two poached eggs with out anything else. The waiter simply could not understand what we required. We had the impression that the least experienced staff were practising on MDR breakfast.

So we gave up and went to the Lido where we also found the best chance for a table was in Cantaletto. One morning we tried room service and even with the veranda available we found it crowded and uncomfortable.

We found that the opening times of the Lido were much shorter than the advertised time on the new sheet. Not a problem for us as we eat breakfast early, but a problem at lunch time as we often eat lunch late.

The ship has too many people and not enough space.

Not sure if people were smoking at the rear pool at breakfast time but they sure were the rest of the day on our cruise. We called it the smokers' pool and would not choose to eat out there if anywhere else was available.

Just got off the Koningsdam this morning. We are light breakfast eaters but absolutely love/need good coffee. Our breakfast place was the Explorations Cafe. They had the best coffee (extra cost covered by the SBP) and they had muesli and croissants and muffins. We would have front row seats in the crows nest. Very peaceful, watching the world go by.

I will have more information later, but we loved the Koningsdam.

Well it feels as though I am going to have to change my bad morning habits and drag my carcass out of bed early to get breakfast and cool my heels if I end up in the MDR. Room service coffee may be okay but a breakfast may not do for two in a verandah room.

Hmmmm....maybe I could forgo breakfast and have an early lunch:o

How early is lunch served? Thanks everyone for input so I can be mentally prepared when october rolls around.

Hmmmm....maybe I could forgo breakfast and have an early lunch:o

How early is lunch served?

The dining room closes far too early for my sleep/wake cycle, so I am always one of the last to make it to Lido breakfast. Rarely have I had a problem finding a place to park myself; when I do it's a sea day (guaranteed). So long as I get there about 5 minutes before the last side closes down, I can get what I want for breakfast.

But lunch is a possibility for really late sleepers. The lunch line opens on one side at 11:30; the other side at noon.

Thanks Ruth cause I need to have a mental plan in place with the KDam.

Also, I am so sorry I will not get to meet you for the transatlantic but I do have optimism in regards for a future of many more cruises for you! :p