My hunt for a plain Jane martini on Celebrity.

ycl

I am a dirty martini girl. Imagine my dismay when I finally snag a spot at the Martini bar, place my order and receive a glass of olive brine with small manzanilla olives. Where I come from manzanillas are used for hors d'oeuvres and cooking. Queen olives are the norm for martinis. Blue cheese stuffed queens takes them to the next level. Make it kalamata olives and I'm a happy glam camper. But I digress. Am I expecting too much? Do I really need to bring my own?

Totally agree... was very disappointed in what they provide for olives in a dirty martini at the Martini Bar on the Connie this past March. Not sure - but would not expect anything better at the other drink venues onboard since the destination for martinis would be the Martini Bar.

I know some of the S-Class ships now have the World Class bar... perhaps they have better options there?

I know some of the S-Class ships now have the World Class bar... perhaps they have better options there?

No such luck. I was on the Reflection. Michael's club had same rinky dinky olives. The World Bar only serves strange award winning concoctions. I am sailing from Athens in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about hitting the market in search of interesting olives to bring on board for my own twist on a plain jane martini. My husband wants to buy kettle potato chips for the cruise. We are not fans of the thin ones they serve. Kettle chips pair well with a nice cabernet. It seems silly, with so many sophisticated food options offered that such simple things make such a difference for us.

I am a dirty martini girl. Imagine my dismay when I finally snag a spot at the Martini bar, place my order and receive a glass of olive brine with small manzanilla olives. Where I come from manzanillas are used for hors d'oeuvres and cooking. Queen olives are the norm for martinis. Blue cheese stuffed queens takes them to the next level. Make it kalamata olives and I'm a happy glam camper. But I digress. Am I expecting too much? Do I really need to bring my own?

We were on the Solstice in June and saw people with their own jar of olives (@ the Martini Bar)

DSC02115.jpg

We were on the Solstice in June and saw people with their own jar of olives (@ the Martini Bar)

[/img][/url]

I guess I'm not alone in my quest. BTW, I've seen a video with the bartenders doing some amazing stunts pouring simultaneous glasses of martinis. When does that typically happen?

Well, I am one of those Celebrity cruisers who bring my own olives. I love one or two Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives in my martini. On the first day, I introduce myself to the bartenders at the Martini Bar, give them a tip, and have them hold the olives for (just) me in their fridge. Never had a problem! The other guests are always somewhat amazed to see the bartender take out a special jar, spear an olive or two, and then return the jar to the fridge. Some ask what is happening and are told funny stories by the bartenders like I am on the Celebrity Board of Directors.

Well, I am one of those Celebrity cruisers who bring my own olives. I love one or two Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives in my martini. On the first day, I introduce myself to the bartenders at the Martini Bar, give them a tip, and have them hold the olives for (just) me in their fridge. Never had a problem! The other guests are always somewhat amazed to see the bartender take out a special jar, spear an olive or two, and then return the jar to the fridge. Some ask what is happening and are told funny stories by the bartenders like I am on the Celebrity Board of Directors.

Yup...was going to suggest this. DH likes pickled onions (sweet) or pickled mushrooms, along with the larger olives...He brings his own.

Or you can sail on Princess where they serve the proper stuffed olives at their Martini bar. You can even order a plate of them on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the tip. I will defiantly bring My own olives for the martini and I may bring a jar of Bada Bing cherries for a Manhattan.

Or you can sail on Princess where they serve the proper stuffed olives at their Martini bar. You can even order a plate of them on the side.

I think they actually had a selection of several different kinds of olives in Crooners.

You just need to start a campaign to get Celebrity to have proper olives for a martini - especially at the martini bar!

You'd think when folks are bringing their own they'd get the hint!

I guess they figure if we bring our own they don't have to cover the cost of the better olives.

BTW, I've seen a video with the bartenders doing some amazing stunts pouring simultaneous glasses of martinis. When does that typically happen?

They'll do that when someone (or multiple someones) order flights that require all of the glasses to be filled. But a lot depends (I think) on the bartenders on duty at the time. Some work very hard at developing their flair talents. I will never forget Putu on the Infinity years ago. He had perfected filling 28 glasses at once. Was working on 32. So much fun to watch!

Depends on the Martini Bar and the bartender. My fave bartender on Silhouette knows that my dirty martini needs blue cheese-stuffed olives. Last cruise with him in April (B2B), I had just what I wanted. I sail Relection in October, and just in case, I am bringing two jars of my own olives.

Totally agree... was very disappointed in what they provide for olives in a dirty martini at the Martini Bar on the Connie this past March. Not sure - but would not expect anything better at the other drink venues onboard since the destination for martinis would be the Martini Bar.

World class bar - currently on the Equinox. Decided to try the smoked rum.

The bar tender kindly did the show of smoking the rum (for my drink) but did this for someone else at the other end of the bar.

Saw a table of six sit down and the bartenders were too busy chatting to a couple at the bar that the 6 then walked out.

The drinks may have promise but the service is sadly lacking.

You just need to start a campaign to get Celebrity to have proper olives for a martini - especially at the martini bar!

You'd think when folks are bringing their own they'd get the hint!

There are all sorts of variations on types of stuffed olives... and if you like something special then bringing your own does solve the problem. But a queen olive in a martini is not really special - it's pretty much standard in pretty much every bar where I have ever ordered a dirty martini. A manzanilla olive is a salad olive and really pretty pathetic from a cruise line which has the label modern luxury.

In the scheme of things, it alone would not get me to stop sailing Celebrity - probably falls into the category of chocolates at turn-down. But Celebrity seems to have gotten the message that sometimes its the small things that make the difference and brought back the chocolates. Perhaps better olives will be the next battle cry :D:eek:

I've pretty much given up on ordering a martini in any bar, on sea or on land. That's a treat that I make for myself at home so it's just the way I like it, with the right amount of everything. While I love bleu cheese, I'm not that keen on them in my martini olives. I like the Queen olives from Costco.

On Princess, it's a Chairman of the Board with the dish of olives on the side. Now that's tasty.

Depends on the Martini Bar and the bartender. My fave bartender on Silhouette knows that my dirty martini needs blue cheese-stuffed olives. Last cruise with him in April (B2B), I had just what I wanted. I sail Relection in October, and just in case, I am bringing two jars of my own olives.

Last year on RC Independence I was called to the naughty room and had to open my bag. One jar of Mezzetta Queen Olives. Not nice. Will continue to bring my own anyway.

Maybe bring a jar of olives with a most of the brine removed and replaced with gin? Unless you have a drinks package....

I did not know any of this. Thank you for the info!!

Never would have thought of the blue cheese or kalamata. Sounds like something I will have to try.