Trying to cut back on packing this year

tbmrt

When we were packing at the end of our Caribbean cruise last year, I noticed that I had way too many shorts and tops that I never wore. Most of my excursions were in bathing suits and coverups and on sea days I was mostly poolside during the day.

The plan this year is to bring more sundresses to wear around the ship during the day for trivia, etc., dress up in the evening with nice jewelry and use as bathing suit coverups.

Will bring 2 dressier outfits for formal nights..perhaps one dressy skirt with 2 fancy tops.

Sounds like you've thought well. You can wear the same shorts more then once. With a different top who is going to realize you wore those shorts two days ago. For a 7 day cruise my husband does not take 7 pairs of pants. He takes maybe 3. Again, who is going to even care if he wore the same pants more then once?

Every morning I put on a bathing suit. I have a cover-up for days at sea or swim shorts (from LLBean) . If we go ashore I will put shorts on over my suit if not wearing the swim shorts, with a tankarini (SP.) top. I take my suit off to dress for dinner.

We each take a small suitcase that fits through the scanner so we can take them with us boarding but we will still have something we didn't wear when we get home! We have done B2Bs and a 14 day cruise- (we never take 14 outfits), with just these small suitcases as we have things washed as needed on longer cruises.

Well me On vacation don't like to wear the same clothes twice.[emoji16]

This is where I like to dress up every night ... I'm a over packer like to bring a lot of stuff just in case I need it....

This is us!!

my hubby and I been cruising since 1987 and 23 cruises.... And always bring back clothes I didn't wear..... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This is where I like to dress up every night ... I'm a over packer like to bring a lot of stuff just in case I need it....

This is us!!

my hubby and I been cruising since 1987 and 23 cruises.... And always bring back clothes I didn't wear..... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Now I know why I sometimes see suitcases big enough to pack a Volkswagen Beetle in. It must be folks like you. :D

Yea is me and more other ppl too!! Lol

The great things we don't have to weight them unless I fly to the cruise which there I have to be very careful of what I take... And then I have my hubby in my back not take a lot of stuff... But he should get use to it already [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] 36 years

Carry on packing becomes a life style. For an October cruise I have the opportunity to bring a pink boa, a Halloween costume, white for some sort of "white" party, maybe red for a "red" party, a gift from my home area for a gift exchange, and heaven knows what else someone will dream up before I sail. Then Crown and Anchor offers me free towels and tote bags to bring home. Since I'm flying both internationally and domestically, none of this stuff is going in my carry on luggage.

This is us!!

Me neither. And not that it matters one hoot to anyone but I will notice someone wearing the same dress 3 nights:eek:

I have 3 cases out for our next cruise and that is just for me! There will be things in there I won't wear but if I burst a zip of tear something or snap a heel I have reserves:D I had 21 pairs of footware for a week last cruise but that is for a different forum!!

Traveling light or with just carry on fills me with horror:D:D:D

Nothing wrong with wearing the same clothes a couple of times.

We are with you... we select our formal clothes first, since we enjoy dressing up. Then plan what we will wear for the MDR other nights, wear each outfit x2. Then consider day wear, usually plan to wear day wear at least 2 or 3 times. This seems to work well for us... we pack our formal wear in our carryon to try and stay within 50 lb luggage limits if we are flying to get to a cruise.

When we go out of our home port San FRancisco... on a round trip, we pack whatever we want... since we simply take a taxi to ship... makes it easy.

I guess I'm not alone in been a over packer!!!

And friend of my took one pair of flip flop and they broke two day into the cruise and I gave her a pair!!

My group is always forget something they always come to me!!!!

A few years ago A friend of my left her small carrying bag home which had her undies in it.... Well thank god I had new ones in my suitcase I have her 2....

So things happen [emoji3]

I over pack even for weekend trips. I've come to the conclusion I will always be an over packer. I pack with emergencies in mind which is one of the main reasons for me overpacking. Yea I dunno what emergency though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best we ever seen. Boarding in FtLauderdale for 30-day to Mediterreanean. Well-dressed couple ahead of us. 1 carry-on apiece. He: Pilot for Delta. She: Int'l banker. Asked 'Wuzzup'? Said they had basic Meds, Toiletries 2 changes of whatever etc. and would buy beach clothes aboard ship, but would give them away to Charity upon arrival in...... MILAN, ITALY!!; where she'd $$shop$$ for designer fashions, shoes and new luggage. Ouch. LocoLoco1

My name is Colleen and I am an over packer. I try to pair things down but I like to have a variety of choices. I do try to pack basics for day time, but I usually will pack more tops than necessary incase of spills. And I always pack too many shoes heels and flats I n case my feet hurt or seas are rough and heels aren't a good idea. I'm a bit better about any formal outfits as I seem to plan those out weeks in advance lol.

I over pack even for weekend trips. I've come to the conclusion I will always be an over packer. I pack with emergencies in mind which is one of the main reasons for me overpacking. Yea I dunno what emergency though.

You're prepared for a potential FASHION emergency ;)

For a variety of reasons, we will be driving from Illinois to Galveston for our cruise, and instead of being aggravated about the loooong car ride, I'm actually excited because it means my suitcases won't be subject to airline weight charges! Yes, I'm definitely an over packer :)

Who ever is a over packer this a great idea PACKING CUBES from Amazon...check them in You Tube .....I love them I been this for few years... Keep all my clothes in order and don't have to make a big mess when you take one thing out.... You could put all your bathing suit and cover up in one bag and more.... I have a pink set for me and a blue set my hubby.... They will make your packing much easier....

I always do a small carry on and a big suitcase (edit - I don't really need the small carry on but it's mainly for my chi hair tools and iPad and extra outfits to change before luggage arrives or if delayed, as we do steakhouse day 1 and I prefer dressing up). I've never felt "overpacked" because usually wear or use 90% of what I bring, sometimes more. We aren't really pool people though and stay busy in other ways throughout the day, except a few aquatic excursions (usually just 1 per cruise). I change like 6 times a day! Part of the fun of vacation on a cruise, where your room is so convenient. I do re wear things, too, but I still wear a lot of variety. I guess if we were just pool hangers it might be different (though then I'd want more than 1-2 bathing suits, which is all I bring in that department).

Edited by berrieh