Dining table

erewhon

Has anyone had success recently requesting a specific table for dinner in the Main Dining Room?

We booked our cruise when the itinerary first became available, requesting a specific table, which we have done on previous cruises, and always been granted the requested table.

Our Travel Agent has been advised that HAL will no longer grant these requests.

hmm - it would not be good to lose this.

If you happened to know the dining manager, you could do a direct email request. Maybe have your TA ask again as the phone people at HAL are not always accurate and sometimes not all that helpful.

Personally I have had good luck sending an email to HAL under Contact Us in both the accuracy of the information and the ability of HAL to help.

I called ship services in the past and was successful. Lately we have let them assign and had great waiters so we may do that again. Emailing is a good suggestion and one I had not thought of

That would be disappointing if they no longer do accept table requests. But I can understand why if more and more of us are doing it. It must cause a bit of a headache for the organizer. I make a request but do understand if I don't get it (and a couple of times I didn't get the requested table).

I've requested one of two tables for our Oct/16 cruise. We did get our request for our May/16 cruise.

Being assigned a particular table has to be a matter of "first come first served". What makes a table desire able to one is likely to work for another, and the more people are aware of the possibility of requesting, the more will request -- meaning that if you book early you are more likely to get the table you want.

We just got off the Zuiderdam on Tuesday this week, and for the entire cruise we had the same table. We liked the table we got the first night and told the maître d and he always accommodated us with that specific table every night. We had open seating and made reservations each night and always asked and was given our request.

We just got off the Zuiderdam on Tuesday this week, and for the entire cruise we had the same table. We liked the table we got the first night and told the maître d and he always accommodated us with that specific table every night. We had open seating and made reservations each night and always asked and was given our request.
The OP's question is something different. She wanted to request a specific table (I'm assuming for traditional dining) a long time before the cruise began.

When I called ships services recently to request a certain table assignment, I was told they were no longer doing this. Then I called again and was told that you had to email the ship coordinator. So, maybe they are in the process of changing things.

Has anyone had success recently requesting a specific table for dinner in the Main Dining Room?

Define "recently". The last time I tried to request a specific table was October '15, and I was successful. I have done that for the last several years, and always got one of my top three choices.

I use a scooter on board, and frequently travel with friends, one of whom also uses a scooter. We need parking space nearby, and the ships don't have a lot of that.

We also prefer to be near the entrance, as driving further in can get tight, especially as chairs get pulled out.

I would hope that HAL would continue to be reasonable to those of us with special needs.

We are on a longer cruise and I requested and was sent an email confirming what table we will have in Feb. on the Maasdam. I am counting on this being true as we have a handicap and need a specific location and size to really have an enjoyable dining experience. I printed the email and plan to confirm as we get closer. You should probably have your TA try again and talk with someone in ship's services.

When I told our PCC the cruise was for our 40th anniversary and our table type preferences - either 8 or larger or a 2 top - she said she was able to reserve a 2 top near the window. Not a specific table but a pretty narrowly defined table so there must be a way to assign in advance. We'll see how it works next June. :rolleyes:

We've always had success, and we're fixed, late seating. I usually email the ship's coordinator with a list of 3 or 4 tables. If you only choose 1 table, there's a chance that someone will either out rank you, or get their request in first.

It never occurred to me to request a specific table until 2 years ago, but a member of our party has hearing issues if there's a lot of background noise.

I don't ask for a specific table on the phone. I just ask for the coordinator's email address.

What a wealth of info this forum is! So never having cruised before, can someone tell me more about this. We're booking our trip for next August with a TA tomorrow and we will be celebrating a special birthday. I can't find a seating plan for the main dining room on line, just some photos. Can anyone tell me what they consider "prime" table placement?? Would we ask our TA to do that when we book tomorrow or do we do that ourselves now or later? Sure would appreciate some input on this..never even thought it would be possible!!!

Would we ask our TA to do that when we book tomorrow or do we do that ourselves now or later? Sure would appreciate some input on this..never even thought it would be possible!!!

You have your TA do this for you, as that's part of the job. You can wait until 2-3 weeks before sailing to initiate this, as table assignments aren't made until during the cruise before yours.

What a wealth of info this forum is! So never having cruised before, can someone tell me more about this. We're booking our trip for next August with a TA tomorrow and we will be celebrating a special birthday. I can't find a seating plan for the main dining room on line, just some photos. Can anyone tell me what they consider "prime" table placement?? Would we ask our TA to do that when we book tomorrow or do we do that ourselves now or later? Sure would appreciate some input on this..never even thought it would be possible!!!

Google something like "HAL cabin pictures". We can't name the site here but it has some FACTS about HAL. Look for your ship (if you don't know the ship class, just look at them all until you find it). Under each ship class, you'll find the dining room seating plans for the various ships (within their class). The top of the plan is the aft of the ship.

I like being by a window (although a setting sun can make it very bright and they tend to close the curtains/draw the blinds) and particularly over the wake. But my "prime" seat may not be yours.

Thank you for your comments, which will be referred to our Travel Agent.

RuthC, By "recent" I meant this year.

July 2015, we made the booking for the cruises in October/November to December of this year, and requested a specific dining table.