Celebrity Cuisine/Dining Article (8/24/16)

Andy

Hi CruisingChick,

I agree about the image on the cappuccino. All that I can think of, is that folks might take a "selfie" of themselves, with the beverage. Why Celebrity feels this will appeal to the masses, is beyond me. It has the "Ergonomic Wine Dispenser" feel to me LOL. It also raised an eyebrow, that the Ripple maker would be worthy of adding to a Press Release. Things that make you say hmmmm.

With all due respect to Celebrity, it irks me that they are putting any time into nonsense like a Ripple Maker. If it were my call, that wouldn't even get on my radar. Scary to think how much meeting time was wasted on this in Miami. I'd much rather their valuable time be spent on far more important items - such as working on the Main Dining Room experience, and improvements to the buffet etc.

Just my .02 cents.

Andy - This is why you'll be missed. First the information in a factual format & then a follow up post w/ your personal view point. Thanks!!

I, too, like to always take the positive spin. There really *is* a lot of negativity here sometimes.

While personally I have no food allergies, I have a daughter with Celiac and who is lactose intolerant, and I have to say that improving this and making it a focus IS a really big deal. For those of you who don't have the issue, that's great, but let's not minimize how important and what a HUGE ordeal it is for those who have to eat a certain way. The stress that worries about cross contamination bring isn't to be discounted. So major kudos Celebrity for putting an extra emphasis and concentration on this issue!!!! If it doesn't apply to you, then you are most blessed and should be grateful you don't have those worries. But if you ever are with someone with something as life-threatening as an auto-immune disease such as Celiac, and you've seen the disappointment time after time in restaurants when servers give the blank stare about a gluten free menu, and they have to once again resort to plain salad while everyone else enjoys a spaghetti dinner, you will understand.

Tuscan Grill has always been a favorite and I've had some of the best meals there, so improving it even more and freshening up the menu is all good news to me.

I look forward to trying some of the new cocktails. I love the Sky Lounge - and it will be fun to try some new things. Who's not up for new fun drinks??!

Riedel glassware has been available upon request for a long time, but to make it standard is awesome. I drink wine from Riedel at home and it's nice to know they will have more of it on board. That's what we drank from in Luminae last fall. All I had to do was mention it and for the rest of the cruise that's what we had.

I don't drink coffee so the photos/whatever in it won't affect me, but I think it's cool if they want to do that. What's the harm? Kind of kitchy, and if you just want a heart or nothing at all I'm sure that's what you can get. I bet there will be lots of people for whom that puts a huge smile on their face!

I also don't eat sushi so the new Bistro replacement won't see my business, but there are so many places to get a bite to eat on board that I am certainly not complaining. I think for many it's a welcome change. I know my husband will want to try it.

I appreciate Celebrity continuing to move forward with new things. I imagine they're keeping track of what works and what doesn't, and I suspect the new upcoming Edge ships will have taken a lot of this into consideration. I for one can't wait till they come out. And the current small changes/tweaks might just make the cruise a wee bit more fresh.

I'm grateful we can sail on a cruise and that it isn't a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The vast majority of people on planet Earth can't even dream of ever sailing on a cruise. May I NEVER take it for granted, become complacent, or whine about something as I sail.

I for one will enjoy the new dining guidelines, especially if it helps vegans like me... :)

As well, the Riedel glassware, what a coup, that is something I will enjoy a great deal... hopefully we will be able to get it in other venues like bars, too, if not dining rooms are just fine for now.

Blending wine? Another activity to indulge in, especially if I can blend something I would drink and pending pricing per bottle, too.

A few things which will enhance my experience aboard X, to say it would on every sailing, at this point, is a leap....

bon voyage

I, too, like to always take the positive spin. There really *is* a lot of negativity here sometimes.

While personally I have no food allergies, I have a daughter with Celiac and who is lactose intolerant, and I have to say that improving this and making it a focus IS a really big deal. For those of you who don't have the issue, that's great, but let's not minimize how important and what a HUGE ordeal it is for those who have to eat a certain way. The stress that worries about cross contamination bring isn't to be discounted. So major kudos Celebrity for putting an extra emphasis and concentration on this issue!!!! If it doesn't apply to you, then you are most blessed and should be grateful you don't have those worries. But if you ever are with someone with something as life-threatening as an auto-immune disease such as Celiac, and you've seen the disappointment time after time in restaurants when servers give the blank stare about a gluten free menu, and they have to once again resort to plain salad while everyone else enjoys a spaghetti dinner, you will understand.

Tuscan Grill has always been a favorite and I've had some of the best meals there, so improving it even more and freshening up the menu is all good news to me.

I look forward to trying some of the new cocktails. I love the Sky Lounge - and it will be fun to try some new things. Who's not up for new fun drinks??!

Riedel glassware has been available upon request for a long time, but to make it standard is awesome. I drink wine from Riedel at home and it's nice to know they will have more of it on board. That's what we drank from in Luminae last fall. All I had to do was mention it and for the rest of the cruise that's what we had.

I don't drink coffee so the photos/whatever in it won't affect me, but I think it's cool if they want to do that. What's the harm? Kind of kitchy, and if you just want a heart or nothing at all I'm sure that's what you can get. I bet there will be lots of people for whom that puts a huge smile on their face!

I also don't eat sushi so the new Bistro replacement won't see my business, but there are so many places to get a bite to eat on board that I am certainly not complaining. I think for many it's a welcome change. I know my husband will want to try it.

I appreciate Celebrity continuing to move forward with new things. I imagine they're keeping track of what works and what doesn't, and I suspect the new upcoming Edge ships will have taken a lot of this into consideration. I for one can't wait till they come out. And the current small changes/tweaks might just make the cruise a wee bit more fresh.

I'm grateful we can sail on a cruise and that it isn't a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The vast majority of people on planet Earth can't even dream of ever sailing on a cruise. May I NEVER take it for granted, become complacent, or whine about something as I sail.

cb - thank you for such an insightful post, much appreciated by me...

bon voyage

What I really wish they'd do with the culinary program is offer at least one dish that is "local" to whatever port the ship is in on the MDR menu. So paella in Spain or souvlaki in Greece or jerk chicken in Jamaica. It could still be standard across the fleet, which I know is one of their concerns. But I think it would add a fun option.

Hmmmm, I see an excursion I don't recall....

[sMP9]

Chef's Market Discoveries - Flavors Of Marigot And Private Dinner.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

Description:

Accompany our Celebrity Chef on an intimate culinary journey of discovery to a fresh fish market, a sea side spice, and fruit and vegetable market and a renowned restaurant in Grand Case. Enjoy a scenic drive down Cay Hill, arriving at the local fish market in Simpson Bay. Watch local fishermen bring in the catch of the day. Restaurants and locals alike visit the market to source the freshest seafood available. At the market, you’ll enjoy a fascinating cooking demonstration in which you’ll learn about various methods to prepare the fresh-caught seafood. Enjoy a tasting. Hand-pick and source the ingredients that will serve as the inspiration for your dinner on board the ship. Then, travel to Marigot, the French capital, where you’ll discover a lively Caribbean market. Immerse yourself in a world of spices, herbs and fresh produce, and browse the market for souvenirs. Then, journey to Grand Case, the French Gourmet Capital of the Caribbean, where you’ll visit a renowned local restaurant. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a specialty dish while taking in the breathtaking view of the Bay of Grand Case and the island of Anguilla. Back on the ship, at the appointed time, you’ll meet our onboard chef for a fascinating tour of the galley, followed by an intimate chef-hosted dinner of island treasures. Savor island-inspired flavors while learning more about the world of culinary arts. This is a uniquely hands-on dinner featuring flavors and ingredients from the day’s exploration. The journey continues on board, where you’ll taste the Modern Luxury version of the day’s culinary adventure. Tours sell out fast! Secure a seat today. Guranteed First Off And Return To Ship.

Highlights

Join our onboard chef on a visit to the local fish market at Simpson Bay Lagoon, one of the largest inland lagoons in the Caribbean, where you’ll source fresh-caught ingredients.

Enjoy a cooking demonstration where you’ll discover local sourcing methods and learn how to prepare fresh fish.

Travel to Marigot, the French capital, where you’ll uncover a world of spices, herbs, and fresh produce at a lively Caribbean market.

Browse this famous open air market for presents and souvenirs and enjoy the view over Marigot Bay and Marina Fort St. Louis.

Journey to the French Gourmet Capital of the Caribbean—Grand Case—where you’ll enjoy a meal and views at a renowned restaurant.

Join our chef for an exclusive tour of the ship’s galley, followed by a dinner inspired by island flavors.

SMP9

Hmmmm, I see an excursion I don't recall....

[sMP9]

Chef's Market Discoveries - Flavors Of Marigot And Private Dinner.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

Description:

Accompany our Celebrity Chef on an intimate culinary journey of discovery to a fresh fish market, a sea side spice, and fruit and vegetable market and a renowned restaurant in Grand Case. Enjoy a scenic drive down Cay Hill, arriving at the local fish market in Simpson Bay. Watch local fishermen bring in the catch of the day. Restaurants and locals alike visit the market to source the freshest seafood available. At the market, you’ll enjoy a fascinating cooking demonstration in which you’ll learn about various methods to prepare the fresh-caught seafood. Enjoy a tasting. Hand-pick and source the ingredients that will serve as the inspiration for your dinner on board the ship. Then, travel to Marigot, the French capital, where you’ll discover a lively Caribbean market. Immerse yourself in a world of spices, herbs and fresh produce, and browse the market for souvenirs. Then, journey to Grand Case, the French Gourmet Capital of the Caribbean, where you’ll visit a renowned local restaurant. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a specialty dish while taking in the breathtaking view of the Bay of Grand Case and the island of Anguilla. Back on the ship, at the appointed time, you’ll meet our onboard chef for a fascinating tour of the galley, followed by an intimate chef-hosted dinner of island treasures. Savor island-inspired flavors while learning more about the world of culinary arts. This is a uniquely hands-on dinner featuring flavors and ingredients from the day’s exploration. The journey continues on board, where you’ll taste the Modern Luxury version of the day’s culinary adventure. Tours sell out fast! Secure a seat today. Guranteed First Off And Return To Ship.

Highlights

Join our onboard chef on a visit to the local fish market at Simpson Bay Lagoon, one of the largest inland lagoons in the Caribbean, where you’ll source fresh-caught ingredients.

Enjoy a cooking demonstration where you’ll discover local sourcing methods and learn how to prepare fresh fish.

Travel to Marigot, the French capital, where you’ll uncover a world of spices, herbs, and fresh produce at a lively Caribbean market.

Browse this famous open air market for presents and souvenirs and enjoy the view over Marigot Bay and Marina Fort St. Louis.

Journey to the French Gourmet Capital of the Caribbean—Grand Case—where you’ll enjoy a meal and views at a renowned restaurant.

Join our chef for an exclusive tour of the ship’s galley, followed by a dinner inspired by island flavors.

SMP9

$200/pp :eek: :eek:

with the following (among others) caveat : Alcoholic beverages during dinner are available at an additional charge.

Edited by chamima

Did they serve your waffles in the Tuscan....LOL! Which meal did you enjoy in the trial run?

They did a "family style" meal. It is suppose to be offered for groups. They did not say what size the group must be.

It was like the real family restaurants in Italy where there were big bowls of "everything" to pass around the table. Outstanding. I hope that type meals will be offered with the new menus. :)

They did a "family style" meal. It is suppose to be offered for groups. They did not say what size the group must be.

It was like the real family restaurants in Italy where there were big bowls of "everything" to pass around the table. Outstanding. I hope that type meals will be offered with the new menus. :)

We had 3 at tuscan one night, and they offered family style dining to us. We ordered off menu, but they still loaded the table up....so it ended up family style anyway. ;-)

Thanks for posting this information.

I think the wine blending class is great! We have been to one that sounds very similar in a Charleston,SC hotel and it was fantastic fun for a small group. Hopefully it will be done as well as the one we went to.

I think I may be in the serious minority to say that I am excited to try the Ripple Maker, I don't even drink coffee but will buy one for the novelty!! It's little things like this that to me make my cruise a little bit of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As someone who has a first Celebrity cruise experience coming up in November, it's fun to read about new things, just as it's fun to read about previous Celebrity experiences.

I'm loving all the info I'm gathering here, and highly anticipating experiencing it for myself.

This is the same for me & DH. First X cruise in March 2017 :) We will be trying so many different things on board including some of the ones listed on this thread. The Blendtique is especially appealing to DH!

While not everything is for everyone I think some of it is just the "novelty" aspect such as the picture on lattes; which I may do just to "experience" it!

New for Endless summer Equinox sailings only:

Taste of the Caribbean Package

Spice up your cruise with the ultimate exploration of leading-edge tropical cuisine and beverages in the Caribbean. Includes a Riedel Comparative Wine Workshop with a set of four "Elegance" glasses to keep, the Ultimate Dining Package (unlimited lunch and dinner in all specialty restaurants plus a Champagne High Tea), a Chef’s Market Discovery shore excursion, a cooking class with lunch, a Blendtique wine blending class, a World Class mixology class, an "Excite the Senses" lifestyle book, plus Evian water and a Lavazza machine in your stateroom for the entire cruise. Available exclusively on Celebrity EquinoxSM summer sailings from April 14–November 6, 2017.*Starting from: 700.00 USD Per PACKAGE

:eek:

Spice up your cruise with the ultimate exploration of leading-edge tropical cuisine and beverages in the Caribbean. Includes a Riedel Comparative Wine Workshop with a set of four "Elegance" glasses to keep, the Ultimate Dining Package (unlimited lunch and dinner in all specialty restaurants plus a Champagne High Tea), a Chef’s Market Discovery shore excursion, a cooking class with lunch, a Blendtique wine blending class, a World Class mixology class, an "Excite the Senses" lifestyle book, plus Evian water and a Lavazza machine in your stateroom for the entire cruise. Available exclusively on Celebrity EquinoxSM summer sailings from April 14–November 6, 2017.*Starting from: 700.00 USD Per PACKAGE

Nothing says a taste of the Caribbean like a wine experience. :rolleyes:

"And Celebrity will take customization a step further with its 'Blendtique' wine-blending classes, allowing participants to create their own wine blend to be bottled on board and customized with personalized wine labels. Passengers then can mail order their custom blended wine to friends and family on land. Blentique will be available fleetwide by the end of 2016"

Several years ago one of the special events for Elite members was a wine blending class. If I remember correctly, it was a joint venture with Kendall-Jackson Vineyards. DH and I took part in it, and really enjoyed the experience. We'll be on Silhouette in December, so I'm hoping it's in place then.

Dine aware sounds good but has to include labelling at the buffet and desserts. Celebrity's knowledge of which cheeses are vegetarian is woeful.

Strange X don't publicise much their tie in with Top Chef. I really wish they would drop this as the Top Chef night is routinely poor in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dine aware sounds good but has to include labelling at the buffet and desserts. Celebrity's knowledge of which cheeses are vegetarian is woeful.

Strange X don't publicise much their tie in with Top Chef. I really wish they would drop this as the Top Chef night is routinely poor in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I TOTALLY agree about the labeling!

It seems like such a simple thing to do.

(Also need it on the menus in Blu - if they can do in in the MDR, why not Blu???? ) :confused:

I've actually called the Captain's Club to request it and written it many times on our post cruise survey.

I'm very cautiously hopeful that this program will make a difference but am afraid it will be like so many of the big announced enhancements with lots of hype but no substance. :(

:D

cb - thank you for such an insightful post, much appreciated by me...Negativity everywhere

bon voyage

I've always thought that some people are never satisfied.. they look for the 1/2 empty glass and of course.. they usually find it. It may not be your 'cup of tea' but the cruise ships are trying. I've heard they've taken notice of the 'nickel and dime' pushback and may just include more things and raise the price. That's the way it was back in the 80s.

As an aside... I really am somewhat miffed by expressions of dismissal from those who aren't into Wi-Fi/internet access. Condemnation of those folks who like to stay connected, read blogs, do last minute bookings on shore excursions, reservations at restaurants at the next port of call, etc. is just unfair. We don't condemn those who don't drink, want to bake themselves crispy, want to dress in a tuxedo EVERYNIGHT like the Love Boat.. Just enjoy yourself and let it go. My personal perfect cocktail hour is chatting with my husband on a balcony with a nice glass of pinot and my ipad on my lap.:D:D

Thank you for such a wonderful sentiment that we all have to keep in mind.

I'm also grateful to Celebrity for the new Dine Aware program. While I don't have to worry now, as I get older, considerations such as this get more and more important. :)

Where did you see this? I'm booked on Equinox for the April 14 cruise and I don't see it offered.

Whoops, never mind, finally tracked down a pdf. The program doesn't start until the April 24 sailing. Too bad.

Edited by capecodmercury