Sharing drinks packages

what if the wife an I both have a drink package and we trade drinks?

lol.....I've been back and forth with people on this one several times....Like I tell my kids "fine, do whatever you want, you're going to do it anyway"....

I really don't think overall it's that much a problem....people are generally good rules followers and once one person is good, most will be as well, it's only the occasional black sheep that goes on the lam....I'd say the % of people sharing drinks profusely is probably pretty low....

another funny scenario would be the next cruise I go on would do a photo review of me just getting drinks with my drink package and dumping them straight into the toilet. "here's what it looks like pouring a beer down the toilet", "here's what it looks like pouring a margarita down the toilet" and then do this like 20 times. Then at the end I'll show a pic of unhappy wife saying "but it's okay, because I didn't share!!!!"

I think we all need to worry about ourselves 30xebs5.gif

• 3 months later...

Interesting that folks feel that people sharing drink packages are driving up the costs of cruises. Believe me folks, the effect of drink package sharing on the price of cruises is likely negligible, probably equivalent to my urinating in the ocean. I'm sure that a company as large as RCCL has penciled out the cost of how much the typical cruiser with a drink package imbibes, and has factored that into what they see as their bottom like. That cost is no matter who drinks the beverage, and projects that some passengers may drink more than others. Factored into this model is a fudge factor, so it all evens out. They probably do the same for food that is consumed. RCCL tells passengers not to share because they want to sell more packages to increase their profit beyond the high profit they already make. Believe me folks, high cruise prices are due to RCCL's greed and not the few passengers that "steal" a sip of a coke. The best analogy that comes to mind after reading these posts is the unbridled guilt I personally feel when I flush twice after a particularly productive session on the throne because, after all, it costs RCCL $$$ to make the water I used.

Interesting that folks feel that people sharing drink packages are driving up the costs of cruises. Believe me folks, the effect of drink package sharing on the price of cruises is likely negligible, probably equivalent to my urinating in the ocean. I'm sure that a company as large as RCCL has penciled out the cost of how much the typical cruiser with a drink package imbibes, and has factored that into what they see as their bottom like. That cost is no matter who drinks the beverage, and projects that some passengers may drink more than others. Factored into this model is a fudge factor, so it all evens out. They probably do the same for food that is consumed. RCCL tells passengers not to share because they want to sell more packages to increase their profit beyond the high profit they already make. Believe me folks, high cruise prices are due to RCCL's greed and not the few passengers that "steal" a sip of a coke. The best analogy that comes to mind after reading these posts is the unbridled guilt I personally feel when I flush twice after a particularly productive session on the throne because, after all, it costs RCCL $$$ to make the water I used.

True

when I flush twice after a particularly productive session on the throne because, after all, it costs RCCL $$$ to make the water I used.

Careful, in the future you might have to swipe your SeaPass card to unlock the toilet lid. And that is just the unlocking the lid charge. In the fine print they tell you that by making the first card swipe, you authorize them to charge you per flush as well.

Then a couple of years down the road we'll have an unlimited bathroom card.

Later there will be much discussion about sharing the bathroom card, and RCCL will mandate that everyone in the stateroom will be required to buy the card.

Beyond that, we'll be looking at upcharges for premium washrooms... you know the ones that get cleaned once an hour vs. once a week, and have seat protectors.

Oh and remember the cards don't include 18% gratuity to the janitorial staff.

Edited by irun5k

I plan to share mine AND remove auto grats. Oh the horror! Some people are far too busy worrying about what other people are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have steal a drink, then you have a problem somewhere.:p

Careful, in the future you might have to swipe your SeaPass card to unlock the toilet lid. And that is just the unlocking the lid charge. In the fine print they tell you that by making the first card swipe, you authorize them to charge you per flush as well.

Later there will be much discussion about sharing the bathroom card, and RCCL will mandate that everyone in the stateroom will be required to buy the card.

Beyond that, we'll be looking at upcharges for premium washrooms... you know the ones that get cleaned once an hour vs. once a week, and have seat protectors.

That's Gold! [emoji2]

I'm just guessing here, but are you a lawyer :D? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

ML

Hi all

A little off topic, but if I want a beer to take to my cabin, will they give me an unopened one? I am a klutz, and I hate having sticky hands (from beer, ice cream, oranges, or anything).

Thanks

ML

PS: I have a drink package.

I was just thinking the same thing. People who think the cost of alcohol goes up because people share the package are way off. There is 1 reason and 1 reason only the cost goes up, and its because people are willing to pay for it. RCL will keep raising the prices until it gets to a point where the revenues stop growing. If people give their spouse a few drinks during the cruise off of a package, yes you can say its stealing, but it does not effect revenue. What would the difference be if someone just drinks a hell of a lot to the bottom line there is no difference. The reason the package exists is because RCL is making tons of money off of it.

Most were not saying it cause the cost of the cruise to go up, but that sharing causes the prices of the package to be raised. That you can argue will go up if people will pay. However what it will cause them to do is do what other lines have done- make everyone over 21 in a cabin but the package if one person buys it. Or put a cap on the number of drinks you can get in one day on the package as other lines do. I'd never get to that 15 a day limit on other lines, but some out there do.

If you're to cheap to each buy the package then don't. Pay for each drink you order and quit screwing things up for everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First I've heard of a drink limit. Did they add that when they went to the new Deluxe package. 15 is a reasonable number to me. I'd never hit that, but sharers will.

Don't know. This is my first RCCL cruise and my first drink package purchase. LOL I tried to plan out my drinks for a day and couldn't get up to 15. But it does work out cheaper for me based on what I drank on my last cruise.

Doug / windgoddess,

I'm not saying this to brag or gain sympathy for my liver, I just offer this as an alternative viewpoint.

I can start at dinner and drink 2 beers or vodka cranberry an hour. Especially if I'm sitting in the Schooner bar until 2am and there's a good pianist for the sing-along.

Add to that a bloody mary or two in the late morning, and a couple of afternoon poolside pina coladas I can exceed 15/day without sharing.

A lot of 'sharers' would exceed 15, but it would be cost efficient (but wrong) for two people drinking five a day each to share and not reach 15.

Please don't forget that the drink package includes all non-alcoholic drinks as well. Everyone tends to forget this, but coffee, juices and bottled water can add up as well.

On my last cruise I got a bottle of water with every drink. That alone would really add up.

Hi all

A little off topic, but if I want a beer to take to my cabin, will they give me an unopened one? I am a klutz, and I hate having sticky hands (from beer, ice cream, oranges, or anything).

Thanks

ML

PS: I have a drink package.

Yes. Just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am purchasing the non-alcohol beverage package - my husband is not. If he is kind enough to go and get me a smoothie to bring to the cabin will they serve it to him or do I physically have to get it myself?

On Celebrity, I saw a woman at the coffee bar with one card with the drink package. She ordered 2 bottles of water and 2 cappucinos and proceeded to order a 5th beverage to "surprise my husband who's in bed" when the bartender finally told her no. She was so angry she threw a little tantrum!

I'm only quoting this because it needs to be read again and again and again. Great comments!

Really, do we need to bash people for this? Doubtful. Just say no, you can't share, and stop being so judgy. Your worried about something that has yet to happen and may never. It doesn't affect you until it does and then feel free to be the drink police. In the mean time its RCCL's problem to deal with. Your not going to stop anyone by being mean so be nice.

Flames begin! :rolleyes:

I just wish they could stop the people from filling the water bottles at the soda/water stations that CLEARLY state "Please DO NOT fill your water bottles here!" How many people follow that rule?? Did anybody drive over the posted speed limit on the way to the cruise terminal? How many of you "CC Police" have sat at the handicap table in the Lido Buffet because it was the only table available? Shame on you! Who among you has used flash photography or recorded a show while on board? These are things that directly affect each of us as well. Each of these "sins" is just as bad as the other. There are no small "sins."

True.

My next cruise I'm stealing a Milk Shake from Johnny Rockets. The DW & I enjoying sharing a milkshake.

I am buying three packages on my next cruise. One for me, one for DW, and one just to make sure that I have not "exceeded" the profit margin for Royal on one or both of the cards!

What's the Cognitive Dissonance score this week shaping up to be?

Officially Not Allowed; not okay:

Sharing Drinks on a package

Asking to bring a guest into the Diamond Lounge

Officially Not Allowed; but okay!

Asking security to allow a guest to visit the ship

Bringing on soda and water

Officially Allowed, but not okay

Children in Diamond Lounge

Shorts in MDR on casual night

Wildcard

Rude people in MDR watching football at top volume on a tablet

Nice!!