Boarding "CHANGES"

wenocancer2

We will be sailing the Conquest (leaving from Port Everglades) next year and we received this e-mail from Carnival regarding some “changes” to the online check-in. We have not used the on-line check in before so it’s all basically a change for us.

Based on these three bullets points from the e-mail, we are a bit confused.

• Guest must pre-register online and select a check-in window. A check-in time will automatically be assigned to guests who do not pre-select a window online.

• Due to limited space, guests who arrive prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience.

• Although guests may access the terminal at 11:00 AM based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 1:30.

Does this mean if I select my window to be 12:30, I can’t even go into the terminal until 12:30 even though it opens at 11:00? And then I won’t be able to board until they start boarding at 1:30

I’m happy to comply with the process, I’m just wondering if my plane lands at 8:00 am, can I not even head over to the cruise terminal until my “window” time? I’d rather wait at the cruise port than in the airport, but if they won't let me in....

We will be sailing the Conquest (leaving from Port Everglades) next year and we received this e-mail from Carnival regarding some “changes” to the online check-in. We have not used the on-line check in before so it’s all basically a change for us.

• Guest must pre-register online and select a check-in window. A check-in time will automatically be assigned to guests who do not pre-select a window online.

• Due to limited space, guests who arrive prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience.

• Although guests may access the terminal at 11:00 AM based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 1:30.

Does this mean if I select my window to be 12:30, I can’t even go into the terminal until 12:30 even though it opens at 11:00? And then I won’t be able to board until they start boarding at 1:30

I’m happy to comply with the process, I’m just wondering if my plane lands at 8:00 am, can I not even head over to the cruise terminal until my “window” time? I’d rather wait at the cruise port than in the airport, but if they won't let me in....

It's called staggered check-in. You can select a check-in time as soon as you book (note it is not boarding time, just when you will be allowed into the terminal to be security scanned and complete check-in).

You cannot enter terminal before the time you select, but can enter at any time after the time you select.

You can wait at the terminal, but it will be outside.

Choose the earliest time available on the check-in. You will NOT be allowed in until the check-in time, however if you arrive AFTER that check-in time you could enter. Also, once you have chosen your time keep checking as I chose the earliest time available and later saw an earlier time so chose that. I'm with you in not wanting to sit at an airport if I could sit at the port.

October will be my first experience with the staggered check in but my understanding is that if you arrive early you'll have to wait outside until your scheduled time. If you arrive late you just walk in. I also understand that Platinum, Diamond and FTTF may enter whenever they like regardless of their scheduled time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While new to you, it's be a ongoing process for some time to roll out a staggered check in process.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/staggered-check-in

It does pose quite the dilemma for those with early arriving flights or early hotel check out times.

I choose to wait in an airport or hotel lobby until my check-in time which, to me, is the same as waiting in a port terminal. For some, this isn't preferable.

Everyone has to find the arrangement that works for them within the confines of the processes now set in place by the cruiseline.

#firsties

Edited by StolidCruiser

You are understanding correctly. If you're not platinum or diamond, you can purchase FTTF (which just went up in price) which allows you to get into the terminal whenever you want, although you still have to choose a check-in time online in advance. It is tougher on those who fly in and are at the will of airline flight times. You end up either hanging out at the airport or having to find something to do until your check-in time. And they do check boarding passes before you can get into the building. Try to pick your time as quickly as possible because the earlier the time you can get, the more flexibility you will have since you are allowed to enter the building after your assigned time, just not before.

•Guest must pre-register online and select a check-in window. A check-in time will automatically be assigned to guests who do not pre-select a window online.

I read various roll calls. Some read cereal boxes, I read roll calls. Anyways, someone is convinced that they not only need to select a time slot but also the exact check in window, i.e. 12:30-1 @ Window #2. [emoji33]

You only need to select a time, not a window.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I recently did our online check-in for Conquest (our sailing is after the implementation of the staggered process for FLL) and I was not asked to pick a check-in time slot. Perhaps it is because we booked a suite?? :confused:

Edited by joepeka

Pick an early time of r get FTTF.

Choose the earliest time available on the check-in. You will NOT be allowed in until the check-in time, however if you arrive AFTER that check-in time you could enter. Also, once you have chosen your time keep checking as I chose the earliest time available and later saw an earlier time so chose that. I'm with you in not wanting to sit at an airport if I could sit at the port.

Right, keep checking again after choosing.

I recently did our online check-in for Conquest (our sailing is after the implementation of the staggered process for FLL) and I was not asked to pick a check-in time slot. Perhaps it is because we booked a suite?? :confused:

I would think that would be the case. Doesn't matter what time you check in since you will wait in the designated area for suite passengers. Suite passengers (along with Diamond and Platinum and bridal parties) will always board first

Check again, those with suites, FTTF, Platinum and Diamond status are still required to select a check in time, they can just enter the terminal before their selected time should they should to do so.

If you purchase Carnival transportation from the airport, you will be able to enter the terminal before your check in time

Yes, you have to do an on line check in. This is where you get your boarding pass, your health form, your boarding time and set up your S&S card for charging on the ship. The on line check I has been around for a few years now, Some TA's will do it for you and send it to you, but most will not.

Check again, those with suites, FTTF, Platinum and Diamond status are still required to select a check in time, they can just enter the terminal before their selected time should they should to do so.

Just looked and our check-in status is complete (green check marks everywhere) and there is no option to select a boarding time. We're definitely sailing after the staggered process begins in FLL on the Conquest. Oh well. :confused:

Just off the Conquest on Sunday without staggered check in, people were arriving at 8 am to board, clogging up the walkway. Since the crew were undergoing a full immigration check (that means all crew needed to get off the ship and present their paperwork to Customs before reboarding), I wonder how delayed boarding was.

Just looked and our check-in status is complete (green check marks everywhere) and there is no option to select a boarding time. We're definitely sailing after the staggered process begins in FLL on the Conquest. Oh well. :confused:

That is very strange. I had everything completed and then saw they were starting the staggered check-in. So I went and checked and saw the place to choose my check-in time. I chose Edit Online Check-In. It took me to the next page. On the right hand side under our names was "My Check in Time" before "Stateroom Preferences". Clicked on it and then chose our time. I wonder why you don't have that option. Our cruise isn't until the end of April 2017 and it was there.

That is very strange. I had everything completed and then saw they were starting the staggered check-in. So I went and checked and saw the place to choose my check-in time. I chose Edit Online Check-In. It took me to the next page. On the right hand side under our names was "My Check in Time" before "Stateroom Preferences". Clicked on it and then chose our time. I wonder why you don't have that option. Our cruise isn't until the end of April 2017 and it was there.

Nope.... I just looked again and there is nothing between the guest names and stateroom preferences. I'm not going to worry about it. If it shows up later, I'll update the check-in time. Thank you for the info however. :)

Edited by joepeka

We got a different version of that letter for our upcoming cruise on the Liberty. It says that the terminal can be accessed at 10:00 am, but that boarding will not begin until 12:30pm. Boarding in Galveston has always started much earlier than that. Also note you will not get in the terminal without a boarding pass. Bummer for those with FTTF if they don't start until 12:30.

August 30, 2016

Hi there!

We know you must be really excited about your Fun Ship cruise. So, we'd like to take a moment of your time to provide you with some important information regarding our Online Check-In and embarkation process.

Providing a good check-in experience is an important way to get your cruise started on the right foot. With this in mind, we have implemented some changes to our Online Check-In and embarkation process designed to enhance the guest experience. Here's what's new:

Guests must pre-register online and select a check-in window. If you have already completed your Online Check-In, please re-visit us at http://www.carnival.com/onlinecheckin to select your check-in time. A check-in time will automatically be assigned to guests who do not pre-select a window online.

All guests will be required to show a paper or mobile boarding pass to access the cruise terminal.

While you can print your boarding pass at any time, one will be emailed to you the morning of your cruise. Please don't forget to bring it with you (printed or on your mobile phone).

Due to limited space, guests who arrive prior to their check-in time will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience.

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or "Faster to the Fun" must still select a window online so we can prepare onboard, but are invited to come at their leisure.

Although guests may access the terminal at 10:00 AM, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30 PM.

For more information on this new process, please visit us at http://www.carnival.com/onlinecheck-inselection.

Please remember you must check-in no later than 60 minutes prior to ship's departure as indicated on your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Signature - Arlene Marichal

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers

Edited by DebJ14