$ is faster to the fun

casperbks

Carnival does an extremely good job at offering people a "free" item, and charging for it. I give Carnival credit. It works, they make money, and people still defend it, like it's the greatest thing in the world.

Carnival Marketing has some very creative genius working for them. They also are good at making you believe you are getting a cheap cruise, lowest price, but for those that dig deeper, and do their math, it ends up costing more money than other lines, while getting less for your money.

It still makes for fun reading on the boards.

This may be true sometimes but more often than not Carnival comes in with a lower price.

Carnival isn't the only marketing genius offering something that costs nothing but charging for it. Congrats on another attempt at singling out a common industry practice and ascribing it to your nemesis line.

The fun reading is your non-stop vitriol for a product you don't like. It's so predictable it becomes irrelevant.

Just another way to suck money from the passenger.
Nobody is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to buy it.

The basic economic laws of supply and demand apply here. So long as the market supports it, Carnival can keep adjusting the price points upward.

Why the exclusions? We're on Liberty soon but can't purchase FTTF [emoji53]

FTTF is capacity-controlled. Once it sells out for your cruise, that's it, unless someone cancels or Carnival opens up more slots.

FTTF is capacity-controlled. Once it sells out for your cruise, that's it, unless someone cancels or Carnival opens up more slots.

But, does anyone definitely know how many they sell per cruise. I was on a cruise last November on the Splendor to Aruba, etc. and (being Diamond) went to a lunch event with the captain and others. I was talking to the GS Officer and commented on the large number of diamonds at the lunch, and she said that there were 70 Diamonds, 600 Plats, and over 400 FTTF. When I mentioned that I had been told (on a different ship) that it was limited to 120, she only smiled, but made no comment.

But, does anyone definitely know how many they sell per cruise. I was on a cruise last November on the Splendor to Aruba, etc. and (being Diamond) went to a lunch event with the captain and others. I was talking to the GS Officer and commented on the large number of diamonds at the lunch, and she said that there were 70 Diamonds, 600 Plats, and over 400 FTTF. When I mentioned that I had been told (on a different ship) that it was limited to 120, she only smiled, but made no comment.

Do you think the 120 is the number of passes sold and the 400 she referred to is the number of passengers using those passes? Just a thought, since you only have to purchase one pass per cabin there could easily be 400 people on the ship using FTTF benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by MandyMooToo

For US we didn't think $59.95 was worth it so we've never purchased Faster to the Fun. And we definitely wouldn't now that it's $79.95 for a week-long cruise. But I don't understand the hate for those who DO want to buy it. Why should anyone care what anyone else spends THEIR money on? We don't pay for spa services, or salon services, or Cheers, or the pay restaurants but couldn't care less that others DO want to spend THEIR money on those things.

For US we didn't think $59.95 was worth it so we've never purchased Faster to the Fun. And we definitely wouldn't now that it's $79.95 for a week-long cruise. But I don't understand the hate for those who DO want to buy it. Why should anyone care what anyone else spends THEIR money on? We don't pay for spa services, or salon services, or Cheers, or the pay restaurants but couldn't care less that others DO want to spend THEIR money on those things.

I agree...I am still trying to figure out why everyone is so eager to buy it...it doesn't seem worth it to me either but I couldn't care less what others plan to spend their money on so to each their own...but having been on Royals forum for the last year and only over here for a few weeks you guys are much more snarky on this forum...lol....

Here's where I don't see the benefit....we cruised out of Ft Lauderdale last month....it took us 15 minutes to get on the ship (and we were able to get on at 11:30am) without any priority...about 10 minutes to get off the ship, we waited to tender like 5 minutes and I never used guest services except one time to break a few $100's and that maybe took 2 minutes....so what I am trying to ascertain is if these types of things will be significantly worse (ie longer waits) with Carnival vs Royal last month...if so then maybe I get it....

• 1 month later...
If, instead of buying FTTF for 10 cruises, you can be at Platinum level at least one cruise quicker and get the full benefit of that level status.

Anybody's choice. If I wasn't at Diamond level, I would prefer getting Global Entry for $100 over 5 years to a one time $80 FTTF. Again any one's choice and our mileage does vary.

What is Global Entry?

I purchased FTTF for my trip last week on Splendor and thought it was great and well worth it to not wait in ridiculously long lines at embarkation and for Half Moon Cay. The waits for the tender at Half Moon Cay were over an hour and a half. We were some of the first people to be on board. I loved having our room ready when we got on the ship and our luggage had already been delivered so we could start unpacking. I did have to call guest services a couple of time due to loud music coming from the night club because the bass was literally shaking our room until 2 or 3 am every night and they were very responsive to the dedicated phone line for FTTF people. We didn't take advantage of the early debarkation because we had a later flight but I can also see the advantage of this if we had an earlier flight.

It's no different that the airlines selling the exact same seat closer to the front of the plane and calling it "Premium." If you think it's worth it then it is. To me it isn't.

I am Platinum and my only concern with FTTF is the line at Guest Services. I think that should not be included in FTTF but I don't care enough to let it bother me.

But, then again, every cruise we have friends that go with us, and usually its their first or second cruise. Every time I get extra # 1 luggage tags for them so we can all get off the boat early and together. So I really can't complain if someone else is working the system to their advantage.

I agree...I am still trying to figure out why everyone is so eager to buy it...it doesn't seem worth it to me either but I couldn't care less what others plan to spend their money on so to each their own...but having been on Royals forum for the last year and only over here for a few weeks you guys are much more snarky on this forum...lol....

Here's where I don't see the benefit....we cruised out of Ft Lauderdale last month....it took us 15 minutes to get on the ship (and we were able to get on at 11:30am) without any priority...about 10 minutes to get off the ship, we waited to tender like 5 minutes and I never used guest services except one time to break a few $100's and that maybe took 2 minutes....so what I am trying to ascertain is if these types of things will be significantly worse (ie longer waits) with Carnival vs Royal last month...if so then maybe I get it....

On our previous Carnival cruise, we purchased FTTF. A lot of people were waiting in the lobby to board, we were called first. Got to board with no crowd or nonsense. Went to our cabin and unpacked (we just rolled our suitcases on with us). We were unpacked in a ready cabin and having lunch before most cruisers were allowed onboard.

When a bartender screwed up and gave my card to someone else, going to guest services I was able to skip a rather long line, walked right up and got a new card.

I don't think $79 is expensive. Everyone has different budgets, which makes "is it worth it" sometimes a little too vague of a question. It's one of those things where if someone has to ask, maybe they can't afford it. To many cruisers, $79 is trivial and getting the first class treatment on a few items is well worth the extra money.

People pay for first class on airplanes, hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars more than an economy ticket. Would you think paying an extra $2,000 for a total of 20 hours of travel is worth it? $100 an hour to sit in a nicer seat and other perks? Many think that's crazy, yet the extra cost is rather trivial for the people that do pay for it.

FTTF is the same. I wish Royal had it, actually. It's one of the real benefits that Carnival has and for the price, it's a bargain to me.

What I don't understand is why they don't charge even more. They have a capacity controlled item they would sell just as much if they charge $150 . Think about the number of threads on here where people are practically begging for advice on how to snag one of these things. Being advised to spend hours every day checking and rechecking just to come back and brag about paying $70 to saves them selves 30 minutes.

Even at these prices​, they will still sell out. There will still be dozens of threads about how to spend every waking moment checking for them to release more, bragging about how they snagged one after hours of waiting and watching. They could charge twice this amount and still sell out.

Why so bitter? How does people buying faster to the fun affect you?

Well said!

We've never used FTTF and my world is still rotating! With staggered check-in the long hours to embark are a thing from the past. Getting into your cabin when you first board? Problem solved with choosing a check-in at 1:00PM. Long lines at tender ports? We buy Carnival excursions for those days. Long lines at Guest Services? I've only had to visit them once in all my cruises. If I had to go there I would go at night when you can normally just walk right up. Or call them which I've done in the past. Get our bags quicker? As long as they're there before I go to bed I'm a happy camper. Anything we need prior to that is carried on. Do I understand why people are in such a rush to buy FTTF? Nope...not my problem because they aren't using my money.

Have used FTTF on our last two cruises and absolutely loved it. Show up anytime you want, go straight to the front of line, straight on board and straight to your cabin. At that point I was sold, not having to trudge luggage around for those couple of hours was worth it!

Just because you board early doesn't mean your room will be ready like FTTF.

Not sure who you're responding to but checking in at 1:00PM (not early by any means) almost guarantees my cabin will be available. There have been many posts when people who buy FTTF find their cabins aren't ready when they get onboard so there's that.

Carnival does an extremely good job at offering people a "free" item, and charging for it. I give Carnival credit. It works, they make money, and people still defend it, like it's the greatest thing in the world.

Carnival Marketing has some very creative genius working for them. They also are good at making you believe you are getting a cheap cruise, lowest price, but for those that dig deeper, and do their math, it ends up costing more money than other lines, while getting less for your money.

It still makes for fun reading on the boards.

FTTF isn't a "free" item that's being charged for. They are perks that others don't get (unless they're diamond/platinum). Do you mean to tell me that a for-profit corporation is doing things TO MAKE MONEY?? :eek: Scandalous!!

So I take it you don't cruise on Carnival, right? If you do, you're a hypocrite. If you don't, you sure do spend a lot of time in the Carnival section whining & complaining about a cruise line you don't use.