Anthem eliminates Dynamic Dining

TeeRick

One negative was not having a night designated "formal" throughout the ship, because only the handful of diners eating in the Grande would be dressed up among everyone else who was dressed casually.

Sorry that how *others* are dressed apparently affects the enjoyment of your cruise.

In any event, Grande isn't really "formal" by any traditional understanding of the word. No ties or dress shirts required for men; just pick up a loaner jacket at the entrance and hang it off your chair. All very silly.

Problem 1 The hassle of making reservations each and every night.

Problem 2 Not knowing what time you will be hungry 6 months out.

Problem 3 Not knowing if you will like that restaurant.

Problem 4 If booking late, only 9:30 is available, if at all.

The above refers to DD Choice. I do/did not see any problems with DD Classic. Same tablemates, same waiter, rotating with 4 restaurants.

I guess we ate too many lobsters in Grande!!:D

Sorry that how *others* are dressed apparently affects the enjoyment of your cruise.

In any event, Grande isn't really "formal" by any traditional understanding of the word. No ties or dress shirts required for men; just pick up a loaner jacket at the entrance and hang it off your chair. All very silly.

They weren't even making men do that on our sailing. We were in line for Grande with men in suits, tuxes, Bermuda shorts and everything in between. They did not make the men pick up a loaner jacket, they were just letting everyone in. There was a sign at the entrance saying jackets required for men, in at least 4 languages, but no one cared.

There has been constant negative comments on this board about DD and in fact about Anthem in general since the ship was launched. I truly feel that on Cruise Critic the negative comments are from a more vocal minority of passengers. Many in the majority with positive experiences don't speak up enough. Sorry for the rant!

Agree and think those who like DD should make it known to Royal how they feel and there are many who need to speak up. We haven't experienced the Anthem yet (Oct) and looking forward to it (even though we selected classic DD). We don't let things bother us and go with the flow, so if Royal decides to keep DD we will go with it.

Theresa

The representative informed me that Dynamic Dining was being eliminated on Anthem starting with my sailing which is Nov 27th.... Did anybody else hear of this?

From RCI:

ANTHEM OF THE SEAS®

DYNAMIC DINING FAQS

1. Why is Royal Caribbean discontinuing Dynamic Dining onboard Anthem of the Seas?

Feedback has shown a preference for a dining program that combines traditional seating with the option for

flexibility. With that in mind, beginning November 27th, 2016, Anthem of the Seas will offer the My Time Dining

program, with traditional and flexible options, as well as introduce new, upgraded dinner menus.

2. Which sailings will be impacted by this change?

All Anthem of the Seas sailings departing on-or-after November 27th, 2016, as well as sailings departing

November 23rd, 2016 through April 14th, 2017 onboard Ovation of the Seas, will be impacted.

3. Will booked guests be automatically converted from Dynamic Dining?

All active bookings on-or-after November 27th, 2016 on Anthem of the Seas will automatically convert to the new

dining program, respecting all pre-selected times, party sizes and other reservation features.

4. How does the flexible dining option differ from the traditional dining experience?

The flexible My Time Dining program offers guests the ability to select their preferred seating time and table

companions on a daily basis between the hours of 6:00 pm and 9:30 pm. The traditional dining option allows the

choice of either early or late seating and offers a more consistent dining experience for the entirety of the cruise

vacation.

5. Will Anthem of the Seas sailings now have formal evenings?

Beginning November 27th, 2016, Anthem of the Seas will offer either one or two formal evenings per cruise,

dependent upon sailing length.

6. Will My Family Time Dining be offered as an option onboard Anthem of the Seas?

Yes, families with small children can take advantage of My Family Time dining benefits while sailing onboard

Anthem of the Seas. This is available as part of the traditional dining experience during the early seating time

and can be reserved pre-cruise via Cruise Planner or once onboard. My Family Time dining allows children ages

3-to-11 to enjoy their meal within 40 minutes of seating before heading to the evening’s Adventure Ocean

activities.

Problem 1 The hassle of making reservations each and every night.

Problem 2 Not knowing what time you will be hungry 6 months out.

Problem 3 Not knowing if you will like that restaurant.

Problem 4 If booking late, only 9:30 is available, if at all.

The above refers to DD Choice. I do/did not see any problems with DD Classic. Same tablemates, same waiter, rotating with 4 restaurants.

I guess we ate too many lobsters in Grande!!:D

How is this any better with traditional dining? You could just as easily make all your reservations for the traditional time and you'd be no worse off. At least with DD, you have the option of altering your time each night.

Really mixed feeling about this. Absolutetly loved the difference with Quantum class because it was different and really enjoyed Dynamic dining and the different menus because as noted could always find at least 1 item that was different and enjoyable.

Could also see the struggles that Royal had with kitchens producing 4 different menus nightly(small amounts of overlap but still lots of total variety) and the chaos that resulted occasionally which Royal could not seem to overcome consistently.

Also enjoy a solid MDR experience with great wait staff.

Kudos to RCI I guess for making the change and not stubbornly sticking to something that for more than 1/2 of their guests had negative reviews on.

I am also on the November 27 Anthem cruise and have been very frustrated with not having the ability to book dinner times at any of the free resturants. My guess is they just want the extra$$ so you get the times you want at the pay places. I will call them today to see if they will set my dining. Thanks for the post

"New and Creative Menus" - how about IDENTICAL menues to the rest of the fleet.

EXACTLY why we weren't going to book Royal after cruises on the Freedom, Independence, Oasis and Allure each also with the same menu.

Guess we were meant to stop cruising RCL and give NCL a chance.

If Royal is going to end this despite building and selling the ship for this, AT LEAST ACTUALLY GET CREATIVE with the "new menus".

There are still the same amount of dinning seats in the free restaurants though.

There will be just as many MT Diners locked out and unfortunately many of the MTD crowd will be from those who prefer traditional but could not get a booking because there are far less tradition spots as a ratio to pax numbers than there are on all the other RCL ships.

There will be a rush to book available spots and those who do will of course be fine. The rest of you.....off to the buffet.

These ships were designed for DD and the concept of casual off the cuff cruising.

Add me to the list of those who think this about $$$ or overworked understaffed crews.

Yeah, I see what you are saying about available seating; I'm wondering if they are going to cram more tables into each venue, or make more larger tables and group people with "new friends" at those larger tables to increase capacity.

I wondered why they were telling people without reservations that their only choice was the Windjammer, when most nights the restaurants seemed to clear out by 8:30 or so.

I am also on the November 27 Anthem cruise and have been very frustrated with not having the ability to book dinner times at any of the free resturants. My guess is they just want the extra$$ so you get the times you want at the pay places. I will call them today to see if they will set my dining. Thanks for the post

I was just on Anthem and was very aggravated with the whole booking process before the cruise too. We booked just before final payment and could not get an early dining time on most nights. We were able to get times as soon as we boarded using the Royal IQ app. You just have to register in the app and then can make everything you want, including the puzzle room. Just make sure if you have multiple reservations that the other parties have registered in the app too. My Mom was traveling with us in a separate cabin and I could not get a table for all of us until she registered in the Royal IQ app too. Once she did, we were able to get Grande easily, which was all booked except 9 and later in the cruise planner.

There won't be any DD Classic when we sail. Are you saying MTD still requires reservations? I'm talking MTD like you'd have on any of the smaller ships, not Dynamic Dining. I've already requested to be wait listed for traditional seating.

I've noticed you're one of the nicer posters at this board. :)

With MTD, reservations are still recommended.

If you don't want to worry about reservations whatsoever, I would change to Classic now, which will put you in traditional once Royal makes the change.

Are you saying MTD still requires reservations?

Yes, and with Anthem having fewer overall dining seats in ratio to passengers, it probably makes even more sense to make reservations than on other ships.

Now that I think about it, MTD might get worse on Anthem compared with DD Choice before it. Currently with DD Choice I think somewhere around 60-70% of the seats are allocated to DD Choice. Once the switch is made only 50% of the seats will be MTD.

Edited by Biker19

Really mixed feeling about this. Absolutetly loved the difference with Quantum class because it was different and really enjoyed Dynamic dining and the different menus because as noted could always find at least 1 item that was different and enjoyable.

Could also see the struggles that Royal had with kitchens producing 4 different menus nightly(small amounts of overlap but still lots of total variety) and the chaos that resulted occasionally which Royal could not seem to overcome consistently.

Also enjoy a solid MDR experience with great wait staff.

Kudos to RCI I guess for making the change and not stubbornly sticking to something that for more than 1/2 of their guests had negative reviews on.

Personally I don't think it was negative for more than half their guests. We loved it but I don't post about it. Only people that post are ones with negative comments and complaints. This ship was designed and promoted for their NEW way of dinning and we booked and just made final payment which was Sept 8th and now they announce on Sept 9th that there is nothing special about the dining. I have nothing against traditional and MTD if it's in a large MDR, but not in one small restaurant for 12 nights. This ship was advertised as a new DD experience and then people complained because they wanted Classic/traditional dinning so Royal caved and created Classic. That's where the problem lies. People that wanted Classic shouldn't be booking a ship that didn't have it. Royal shouldn't be changing it to traditional because there are plenty of other ships for those people to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These ships were not designed to accommodate people in the complimentary MDR's like on other ships. If enough people don't mind and want to go to specialty dining it may not be a problem, but that is a big "if". I see the standardized menus as a step backwards. The problems with DD to me always seemed to be technology and capacity related. They could have resolved the technology end of it, capacity not much they could have done about it.

I can see us eating in the California Kitchen and the Windjammer every night. What a mess! Remind me to never again sail on this class of ship. :p

Once all the details are worked out, the number of seats available for traditional dining should go up and your waitlist for that should clear. Then, you will have one less thing to worry about.

We loved DD on Quantum and Anthem, though we chose to eat specialty at least half the time anyway. I will miss DD on Anthem in January but as long as the food tastes good and someone else is cooking and washing dishes I am happy! It's a vacation, time to go with the flow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally I don't think it was negative for more than half their guests. We loved it but I don't post about it. Only people that post are ones with negative comments and complaints. This ship was designed and promoted for their NEW way of dinning and we booked and just made final payment which was Sept 8th and now they announce on Sept 9th that there is nothing special about the dining. I have nothing against traditional and MTD if it's in a large MDR, but not in one small restaurant for 12 nights. This ship was advertised as a new DD experience and then people complained because they wanted Classic/traditional dinning so Royal caved and created Classic. That's where the problem lies. People that wanted Classic shouldn't be booking a ship that didn't have it. Royal shouldn't be changing it to traditional because there are plenty of other ships for those people to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After thinking about it since my post you are right. That is the exact reason I went on a Quantum class ship was because it was different from other Royal ships and it has been a vocal minority with some being long time cruisers that complained about DD. Knowing it is different before you start means you shouldn't complain when it IS different

and or understand that Quantum class is not for you and Royal could have stuck it out and kept fine tuning but chose to bail or cave instead

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

People that wanted Classic shouldn't be booking a ship that didn't have it. Royal shouldn't be changing it to traditional because there are plenty of other ships for those people to book.

Not out of Bayonne. Anthem is the one and only.

Personally, I like DD choice if it worked. You really don't have the flexibility of dining when you want without making reservations and nearly impossible for a large group.

I still don't understand what the problem was with DD Choice and Classic. Each have a purpose and Classic worked well for our large group in May on Anthem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums