Anthem eliminates Dynamic Dining

TeeRick

Luke,

Your point is well taken....Dynamic Dining was to be implemented on Oasis class ship but was cancelled because of the negative feed back the cruise line was receiving.

We have had the enjoyment of 5 cruise vacations on Quantum class ships. I enjoy the change of scenery and different menu offerings.

I find the menu of Prime Rib 1st night........repetitive and would get boring after so many cruises...but that is my opinion.

Dynamic Dining gave us many more options and variety.

gc

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way...But I actually am a bit disappointed with this decision. I have not had the opportunity to try DD, but I would've gladly done so. I do love my traditional dining, but I'm always up for trying something new.

The whole point of my post was the fact that I don't believe this change is actually due to complaints, but because of different issues that are causing problems (i.e. money).

Wonderful news! This means there's hope yet of us sailing on Anthem again after next cruise which is on Brillance! We absolutely hated Dynamic! Back to traditional dining we hope!

Agree with you. We were never going on Anthem because I'd DD so we now may try that ship b

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way...But I actually am a bit disappointed with this decision. I have not had the opportunity to try DD, but I would've gladly done so. I do love my traditional dining, but I'm always up for trying something new.

The whole point of my post was the fact that I don't believe this change is actually due to complaints, but because of different issues that are causing problems (i.e. money).

No worries.....Ultimately, everything in business comes down to dollars and cents.

I am sure royal did their home work before they tried to implement dynamic dining with cost.

Over 5 cruise's I witnessed the confusion and frustration from the dining staff and passengers every day ,It must wear the cruise line down.....many passengers just want to show up and find the same table and eat at 6pm.

I enjoy variety and change....

Luke,

Your point is well taken....Dynamic Dining was to be implemented on Oasis class ship but was cancelled because of the negative feed back the cruise line was receiving.

We have had the enjoyment of 5 cruise vacations on Quantum class ships. I enjoy the change of scenery and different menu offerings.

I find the menu of Prime Rib 1st night........repetitive and would get boring after so many cruises...but that is my opinion.

Dynamic Dining gave us many more options and variety.

gc

Dynamic Dining never happened on Allure/Oasis - even though MDR was redesigned - because the kitchens were not originally designed for that kind of dining and there were technical problems which could not be resolved.

Dynamic Dining never happened on Allure/Oasis - even though MDR was redesigned - because the kitchens were not originally designed for that kind of dining and there were technical problems which could not be resolved.

RCI also was looking to implement it on Freedom but that never happened and during FR's Dry Dock, the dining room decor wasn't changed like it was on AL and OA.

From the sounds of it, we're not going to be rotating. Classic gets the pretty dining rooms (Grande and Chic) and MTD gets to eat in American Icon and Silk.

So looks like we'll be stuck in 1 restaurant for all 12 night!

Well if so many people feel so strongly about DD then make it known to Royal and maybe they will re-look the decision. Will be sailing Anthem in October and have selected early classic dining and looking forward to rotating through 4 dining rooms.

Theresa

Edited by psupa

Bad move by RCL...loved DD on Quantum and Anthem and was one of the reasons we rebooked on Anthem for next year.

Maybe look at going with line that has it or back to Silversea perhaps

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The RCI rep who called me specifically said they they were responding to negative customer surveys about DD on Anthem. It is speculation that cost was a factor although I do see how providing one set menu per night is a much less expensive endeavor than 4 different menus per night. I personally feel that they just should have kept the original DD concept that the ship was designed for and just focused on doing it well, so I am very disappointed not to experience it this Nov. Those traditionalists who wanted a MDR concept could simply book another RCI ship or even another cruise line. There has been constant negative comments on this board about DD and in fact about Anthem in general since the ship was launched. I truly feel that on Cruise Critic the negative comments are from a more vocal minority of passengers. Many in the majority with positive experiences don't speak up enough. Sorry for the rant!

I feel like in addition to the complaints I have seen about DD, there have also been many complaints about the quality of the food at the different restaurants on Anthem.

It seems to me that part of the decisions could also be factoring in that to make quality food at the price point they have to work with they need to make fewer types of it. Thus the same thing in all restaurants nightly to get the buying power right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After reading the OP's post, I called Crown & Anchor because my sister and I will be on the Anthem next February. He knew nothing about eliminating DD on the Anthem, but said (with surprising honesty!) that they don't always get notice of such things, or at least in a timely manner. Anyway, we were assigned DD at booking, but he put us on the wait list for early traditional (Classic?) dining. So we will just have to wait and see what happens.

1) I really don't see the difference between what is now available (DD Choice or Classic) and changing to MTD or Traditional as far as NUMBERS OF PEOPLE DINING. We had Classic (2) in May 9 night on Anthem and the dining rooms were half empty. Where were all the people? But changing will spread out the numbers in a fashion they can control.

2) Classic/Traditional is better for large groups. Choice/MTD is better for smaller tables. FACT! When just a couple or small group, less than 6, we like NCL-they know how to do it and never had a problem. With a large group we like RCL-Traditional/Classic. We would have never booked Anthem until they offered Classic, with our big groups. Also, couples or singles have a better chance of being seated at a large table which is currently unavailable on Anthem.

3) We have experienced both Traditional(other ships) and Classic(Anthem) and loved them both. Doesn't matter to us what we're looking at or what menu they serve. It has all been good; service, meals, decor.... Really, so many complaints here on this. Get over it. Is that why you cruise?

Happy cruising everyone.... I haven't been on a cruise I didn't love!

We had DD Choice for our Anthem cruise next year (nothing else was available). I'm actually relieved to have one less thing to worry about. All of you make it sound so fantastic, but I honestly don't like the idea of having to remember to make reservations for every meal before we even set foot on the ship.

I agree... We hated making dinner reservations for every night and try to coordinate with show reservations and with another couple for the Quantum. This was before the Classic option was added. Is this a vacation or a project?

We loved DD on Anthem last Sep. Liked the varied menus and differently styled restaurants and we had no issue switching dining times or restaurants. It's a shame they didn't get it to work and if I was being forced to eat from the same menu as everyone else I would probably choose a ship with a large impressive MDR, not smaller rooms. Not been on NCL but they get a similar system to work don't they and most seem OK with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is disappointing. We have put a deposit down on the Nov 27th Anthem cruise. We were undecided between NCL Breakaway and Anthem but ultimately chose Anthem.

We were excited to try the different restaurants and menus, especially on a longer cruise. To me seems like this is a move to push passengers towards the paying restaurants. I have no interest in the traditional dining style. I know some do, but I would think that those who prefer that style could have their preferences accommodated through DD.

We will probably not cancel over just this change but for our next cruise I will definitely be looking at other cruise lines that have more dining options. And water slides. ;)

Not been on NCL but they get a similar system to work don't they and most seem OK with it?

Sort of... NCL is not good with large groups but great with 6 or less. We had a group of 10 and would need to dine at 5 pm or 9 pm or separate tables. Hence, we like RCL with our yearly 'big group' cruise and NCL as a couple and not have the need to make reservations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by DaisyL

We had DD Choice for our Anthem cruise next year (nothing else was available). I'm actually relieved to have one less thing to worry about.

You'll be put into MTD, so you will have something to worry about. You should ask to be put on the wait list for DD Classic now, or traditional sometime after this change becomes more official.

We didn't care for the pure DD concept when it was implemented on Quantum.

But, we totally enjoyed DD Classic on Anthem (two cruises). It was like traditional dining, and the rotation worked well. The different menus were a refreshing break from the fleetwide menus that are standard on other ships. The Classic dining times also fit well with the show times, so there weren't conflicts and we were able to enjoy all the entertainment. And, not having to make dinner reservations made the experience less stressful. One negative was not having a night designated "formal" throughout the ship, because only the handful of diners eating in the Grande would be dressed up among everyone else who was dressed casually.

I am sorry to see DD Classic and Choice go.

1) I really don't see the difference between what is now available (DD Choice or Classic) and changing to MTD or Traditional as far as NUMBERS OF PEOPLE DINING. ...

I see a difference because the restaurants served different food and different people have different tastes. By switching to uniform menus, it no longer matters (except for decor) which venue a person uses.

Sad to see DD end! Does this mean if you DO NOT "dress" for dinner; there will be no dining option other than the Windjammer??[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no enforcement of dressing standards anywhere at any time on any ship. (she said cynically)

Wear whatever you want.