removing gratuities/service reward scheme

philipsw285

I always admire those who opt out of the automatic tips and adopt a DIY approach - it must be so difficult to remember all those who have served them in the various restaurants (for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner) and bars/coffee shops for the whole of the cruise, and then go round tipping each one! I find it easier to see the automated tips as being, essentially, part of the fare and thus included in the price, as long as I avoid asking for them to be removed.

Teddy, it's perfectly simple. The autograts are for your cabin steward and waiters. I ignore the Maitre-dit. We also tip the wine waiter if they are any good.

The other staff are taken care of by P&O apparently.

Hi, just checking on this one as alarm bells are sounding! We keep the automatic gratuities, but we also give additional tips to those staff who have been really 'special' as a personal 'thank you' at the end of the cruise. Are you saying that they have to hand those over?

No. Any staff member receiving cash from a customer who has removed auto tips must give in any tip they receive in cash.

Above the set amount they can keep.

So removing the tip and paying cash is a total waste of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Baleena, I think you miss the point. If the cruise says "tips included" then you don't need to tip, although some do. If the autotipping is a service charge, then it should be included in the fare and used to give the staff what they need. Then people who want to can still tip of they want on top of the service charge. A tip is not a service charge. A service charge is compulsory, a tip is discretionary.

Jeanilyon, sorry you are just playing with words. So, your happy for the auto tips to be included in the fare and then give a tip to who YOU feel warrant it, if you do! Errr sorry, this is another way of avoiding spending a few bob to reward those who work so hard behind the scenes.

Bal

No. Any staff member receiving cash from a customer who has removed auto tips must give in any tip they receive in cash.

Dai, I am flabbergasted, we concur!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the P&O website about automatic tips: "Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you and make your holiday memorable, as a ‘thank you’ and it is hugely appreciated. This includes the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us." I note it says INCLUDES the waiters, etc - so others that are not mentioned may benefit too - and I also note it that it implies it's waiters, etc for breakfast and lunch, as well as dinner. My ironic comment about the difficulty of tipping all these people individually if one doesn't go down the automatic route stands.

I also leave the auto gratuity on the account and pay some extra if deserved. Presumably the increase in freedom dining over the last few years has prompted the move to auto gratuities or do people who remove auto gratuities really tip their waiter after each evening meal if they are freedom dining. Ditto staff in the speciality restaurants or the buffet?

That said, I do think P and O could be more transparent by telling us exactly who gets what.

That's ok then, as we keep the gratuities on and our wonderful staff last month got to keep the 'thank yous'

Happy now

Edited by Presto2

I do think P and O could be more transparent by telling us exactly who gets what.

Like they go out of their way to advise arrival/departure times. P&O deliberately avoid openness to avoid criticism - transparency is alien to them, that is why I am serious considering removing auto-tips. I recently asked P&O Advice Centre which days are formal dress but they refused saying you will be advise when aboard. We all know they are seadays unless a very good reason otherwise, so why refuse to be open .......mushrooms come to mind !!

It's quite clear on their website - I quote

"Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you and make your holiday memorable, as a ‘thank you’ and it is hugely appreciated. This includes the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us.

We strongly believe this should remain voluntary and therefore this charge can be varied at the Reception desk at any time; we hope you will agree that the service you receive will warrant the suggested amount, and that you choose for this to remain on your account in recognition of our service. Of course, if you want to tip any other crew member in addition to this, please feel free to do so. "

What is the provenance of this interpretation?

The auto tip system was brought in to make it simple to pay. Especially if you had lots of OBC. Before it started you tipped the cabin steward and your 2 evening waiters. The buffet waiters are in the main the same people. Over a 9 month contract each waiter will do a share of the buffet work where there is not the chance of such good tips. The drink waiters around the ship also move between quiet and busy bars so they do not miss out.

Like they go out of their way to advise arrival/departure times. P&O deliberately avoid openness to avoid criticism - transparency is alien to them, that is why I am serious considering removing auto-tips. I recently asked P&O Advice Centre which days are formal dress but they refused saying you will be advise when aboard. We all know they are seadays unless a very good reason otherwise, so why refuse to be open .......mushrooms come to mind !!

Quite clearly they don't tell passengers before as things can change and clearly they have had grief from some people who have complained because they had been given information which had changed. To avoid this you don't give it out in the first place.

From the P&O website about automatic tips: "Please be assured that 100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you and make your holiday memorable, as a ‘thank you’ and it is hugely appreciated. This includes the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us." I note it says INCLUDES the waiters, etc - so others that are not mentioned may benefit too - and I also note it that it implies it's waiters, etc for breakfast and lunch, as well as dinner. My ironic comment about the difficulty of tipping all these people individually if one doesn't go down the automatic route stands.

Below is a response given by P&O on their own Facebook page on 9th September which I think you will agree differs from their website and in their brochures so it is hardly surprising there is confusion and why people do not trust them to administer the gratuity/service reward scheme.

"at present, Waiters, Buffet Staff, Cabin Stewards & Butlers are entitled to payments from the Service Reward Scheme"

Edited by majortom10

Let's be honest here, people remove the auto tips because they don't fancy shelling out £150 plus for a couple on a two week cruise. And of course you can remove them, that's why they are called discretional.

But then the cruise lines must like the system as they don't look to change it soon.

What no one has ever explained is how other cheap lines, including the refurbished TUI ship manage to get staff when the tips are rolled in to the fare. If it works for them why don't others do the same. Could it be that even with the refuseniks the companies benefit from pusuading their customers to pay staff wages?

David.

Edited by balf

Below is a response given by P&O on their own Facebook page on 9th September which I think you will agree differs from their website and in their brochures so it is hardly surprising there is confusion and why people do not trust them to administer the gratuity/service reward scheme.

"at present, Waiters, Buffet Staff, Cabin Stewards & Butlers are entitled to payments from the Service Reward Scheme"

I'm finding this discussion very difficult! As far as I can see the Facebook words are entirely consistent with the website words I quoted, and both can be interpreted as meaning a wide range of staff benefit from the SRS. Earlier I was told that the SRS only applies to Club Dining not breakfast staff, and when I asked for evidence of this, I was quoted the very words that I had shown probably mean breakfast staff DO get included. So, I find nothing to change my view that the SRS rewards a lot of people who it would be very difficult to tip individually. Hence, extra tips AS WELL AS SRS are fine, but individual tips INSTEAD OF SRS seems to miss out a lot of deserving people and I'm happy to use SRS.

Let's be honest here, people remove the auto tips because they don't fancy shelling out £150 plus for a couple on a two week cruise. And of course you can remove them, that's why they are called discretional.

But then the cruise lines must like the system as they don't look to change it soon.

What no one has ever explained is how other cheap lines, including the refurbished TUI ship manage to get staff when the tips are rolled in to the fare. If it works for them why don't others do the same. Could it be that even with the refuseniks the companies benefit from pusuading their customers to pay staff wages?

David.

Sorry but my popcorn ran out :D

You may have a point about the reasons people remove the auto tips, but I hope you've a hard hat and a flame proof jacket :D

As for 'cheap' lines like TUI, I beg to differ. Their prices for TUI Discovery (RCI Splendour of the Seas hand me down which I have sailed on) have come as a shock to TUI loyalists. Even I was surprised at some of the prices for such an old ship, especially as this company doesn't allow you to select your cabin at time of booking, but only afterwards and after payment of a supplement.

So TUI fares may include tips, but that supplement to reserve your preferred cabin (which at time of booking you have no idea if it's available) is the equivalent of 4 days gratuity for 2 people on P&O!

All cruise lines get you in one way or another. :o

Sorry but my popcorn ran out :D

You may have a point about the reasons people remove the auto tips, but I hope you've a hard hat and a flame proof jacket :D

As for 'cheap' lines like TUI, I beg to differ. Their prices for TUI Discovery (RCI Splendour of the Seas hand me down which I have sailed on) have come as a shock to TUI loyalists. Even I was surprised at some of the prices for such an old ship, especially as this company doesn't allow you to select your cabin at time of booking, but only afterwards and after payment of a supplement.

So TUI fares may include tips, but that supplement to reserve your preferred cabin (which at time of booking you have no idea if it's available) is the equivalent of 4 days gratuity for 2 people on P&O!

All cruise lines get you in one way or another. :o

Hold on, that supplement for booking a specific cabin is £42? per cabin. On P&O you have to pay select fare and that might end up costing £100's more per person :eek:

When I book my Thomson cruises I always make sure the cabin I want is available before I pay the deposit, my TA checks for me.

Thomson fares are certainly not cheap anymore but I notice a 15 night repositioning from Majorca to the Caribbean next month was available form £860 per person including flights.

TUI Discovery is good value and the food is better than P&O. Looking forward to TUI Discovery TUI ;)

ps -Discovery is almost a year younger than Oriana and if you called Oriana a hand me down there would be a riot :D

pps - apart from the sausages

Edited by davecttr

i'm sorry i started this thread now for people who were having A GO ABOUT ME REMOVING IT i'm sharing a room with my brother who is not the tidiest of people my parents are in the room next door and we feel sorry for the room service attendant he gets a raw deal no matter how much i tidy by the time the attendant gets to it the room will have clothes all over it we....

the room attendant gets a lot more...................

we give the same amount as auto.

we did adonia last june and i'm sure it wasn't this much trouble to do the same thing.

i'm all for building it into the price of the holiday and then you don't have to think about it at all please p&o listen........................

Edited by philipsw285

Hold on, that supplement for booking a specific cabin is £42? per cabin. On P&O you have to pay select fare and that might end up costing £100's more per person :eek:

When I book my Thomson cruises I always make sure the cabin I want is available before I pay the deposit, my TA checks for me.

Thomson fares are certainly not cheap anymore but I notice a 15 night repositioning from Majorca to the Caribbean next month was available form £860 per person including flights.

TUI Discovery is good value and the food is better than P&O. Looking forward to TUI Discovery TUI ;)

ps -Discovery is almost a year younger than Oriana and if you called Oriana a hand me down there would be a riot :D

pps - apart from the sausages

I appreciate that a select fare may cost more than a fare where P&O allocate the cabin. That's not the point I was making. My point was that the norm for TUI is to only give the option to pay extra to select a specific cabin (just like their aircraft seats) but at the same time say the fares includes tips. Btw it's going up to £45 from winter 2016. Can't comment on the food quality (that is subjective anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i'm sorry i started this thread now for people who were having A GO ABOUT ME REMOVING IT i'm sharing a room with my brother who is not the tidiest of people my parents are in the room next door and we feel sorry for the room service attendant he gets a raw deal no matter how much i tidy by the time the attendant gets to it the room will have clothes all over it we....

the room attendant gets a lot more...................

we give the same amount as auto.

we did adonia last june and i'm sure it wasn't this much trouble to do the same thing.

i'm all for building it into the price of the holiday and then you don't have to think about it at all please p&o listen........................

If you want P&O to listen then tell them on your feedback form. Not sure they pay much attention to what is said on here.

Frankly what is the difference between building in the auto tips into the actual cost of the cruise and having auto tips as they currently stand. Surely all you need do is factor in £77 each, for a fortnights cruise and if you feel the price is what you want to pay, then that's the basic cost of your cruise, simple. If you wish to give more to those who you feel have gone the extra mile .. as many of us do, then that's up to you.

Those of you who remove auto tips are to my mind skin flints who wish to avoid rewarding 'all' that should be entiltled. And, while I appreciate that P&O make up any deficit in the overall pot, there become pressure on P&O to 'up' the sum to the rest of us who leave the auto tips in place. Selfish comes to mind.

I firmly believe that those who remove the auto tips are basically tight and only do so just to save themselves a few bob, unless and I say, unless they have had poor service and can justify removing some or all of it in writing, which will then allow the Hotel GM to take appropriate action.

Bal