Lanyards...Yes or No?

phil_in_npton

Good Day All

First post prior to first cruise...so lets go straight to the important stuff!

Should we get Lanyards or not?

If we dont will we stand out from the experienced crowd like the innocent newbies that we are?

If we do, will the "in crowd" mock us for doing all the stuff they left behind many moons ago?

This is troubling me greatly, a good or bad experience on this trip will shape our future holidays for the rest of our lives!

Hoping for a mature and honest response, to this most trivial of concerns!

Phil in Northampton

Ship cards should be treated in the same manner you would as your personal identification card, credit card, cash, and house keys. Most carry these in pockets, wallets, and purses. I have no need for any of those to be on a lanyard when on land so it's comfortable to carry as I would as if on land.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Day All

First post prior to first cruise...so lets go straight to the important stuff!

Should we get Lanyards or not?

If we dont will we stand out from the experienced crowd like the innocent newbies that we are?

If we do, will the "in crowd" mock us for doing all the stuff they left behind many moons ago?

This is troubling me greatly, a good or bad experience on this trip will shape our future holidays for the rest of our lives!

Hoping for a mature and honest response, to this most trivial of concerns!

Phil in Northampton

I don't use a lanyard Mrs Gut does, doubt anyone cares.

OP, no one will mock you one way or the other. Wear one. Don't wear one. Whatever you prefer. I wear a lanyard every day at work, so I'm not about to wear one on vacation and have no need to have my card hanging around my neck. I can understand having a lanyard for a child, but I certainly don't want one. But, I don't mock those who do.

I've used a lanyard for the last couple of cruises. So convenient. Some of my pants don't have pockets and I hate carrying my purse around on the ship. And it's a great place to hang my glasses, LOL.

Off the ship I like having it where I know it will always be: around my neck and easily accessible. No digging around, trying to remember which purse pocket I put it in.

I was once behind people at the security check-point who were digging around in their bags, their pants pockets, their jacket pockets, their backpacks, each others pockets, looking for their elusive cards. And then doing it all over again cuz they needed their kids cards too. They certainly could have used lanyards and made everyone's life easier.

You only need a lanyard if you have no purse or pockets and don't want to carry your card in your hand at all times. They often sell souvenir lanyards in the gift shops if you want one. We have found several lost cards on past cruises and we just pass them in at the desk; then the staff can contact the owner. The kids have often lost theirs, too. The card itself will have your name printed on it but not your cabin number, so if anyone finds a lost card, they cannot help themselves to your cabin's contents. There is not pervasive custom on lanyard use.

Edited by emanddee

I wear one during the day on the ship. I don't want to worry about my seapass falling out of the pocket of my shorts, if they even have a pocket. At night I put the card in my pants pocket. Off ship, it goes in my wallet. I've worn one for over 35 years at work, I don't even know I have it on. Who cares what anyone else thinks, do what works for you. Just don't wear black socks with your sandals, people will laugh.[emoji851]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

personal choice

I do wear a lanyard

1)I do not carry a purse around the ship (nor at home)

2) some clothing manufacturers decided that women do not need pockets in some outfits & DH is not always with me to carry my seapass

3) i do not give a hoot what others think of me wearing one

in the evening I do have my evening bag so the card goes in it & when going ashore I have a purse to carry my card in that

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

NO to lanyards...they look stupid and ridiculous...like you're at a convention. Women will want a small purse for tissues, lipstick, comb, etc....

Men have pockets on pants. No need for lanyards at all.

👍 NO lanyards! No..no..a thousand times NO!

We have long thought this is one of the silliest topics on CC :). If you want to use a lanyard...then do it. If you do not want to use a lanyard....then don't. Why does it take a village (or a CC consensus) for such a silly thing?

Hank

I will cause I do not always have pockets. I have to have room key....drink card....lipstick. My lanyard is a silver chain necklace with a clip for a lovely zippered pouch. Want my hands free and will not carry a purse.

To each his own and as an adult you need no ones opinion. :D

And it would be so much fun to see how it irritates others as you wear it......WOO HOO!!!

Just off a cruise and the majority of men and women worn lanyards. You don't need to get them ahead of time as you can purchase on the ship. Sometimes on the first day you can get one free at various things too.

As to the poster that keeps hers in her bra - I hope I'm not the one you have to hand it to. :(

Just off a cruise and the majority of men and women worn lanyards. You don't need to get them ahead of time as you can purchase on the ship. Sometimes on the first day you can get one free at various things too.

As to the poster that keeps hers in her bra - I hope I'm not the one you have to hand it to. :(

Ewww....never thought about that:eek:

I use a lanyard. I just find it convenient and easy to tuck into my shirt if I have to. I've used both the ones that the cruise lines provides and taken my own.

I don't wear it to dinner on formal nights and I usually tuck it into a crossbody bag when I'm ashore. But for just hanging out on a normal day on the ship, I'm all for lanyards!