So I finally tried the Cheers program, here are my thoughts.

DarthGrady

Given that they sell bottles of Morgan and Absolut for $20, I'd guess their bulk prices are much less.

That's the price in duty free and as I understand it duty free pricing is not available if you are buying the liquor for resale (of course given their volume I would expect that they are paying less than the corner bar pays for the same thing).

I didn't realize the per drink limit was $50 lol. What drink is $50? What is stopping you from getting the 101 oz beer tube? I couldn't find a menu price but I seem to remember it being $30ish. Im not sure if this is only offered at the Red Frog Pub though.

Darth I forgot how big you said your group was, but lets say its 6 people staying in 3 rooms? Shoot, Id have one room pay the cheers for $50 total. Then the 2 people with Cheers get 15 101 oz tubes a day. That would come out to close to 16 pints per person per day lol.

I didn't realize the per drink limit was $50 lol. What drink is $50? What is stopping you from getting the 101 oz beer tube? I couldn't find a menu price but I seem to remember it being $30ish. Im not sure if this is only offered at the Red Frog Pub though.

Darth I forgot how big you said your group was, but lets say its 6 people staying in 3 rooms? Shoot, Id have one room pay the cheers for $50 total. Then the 2 people with Cheers get 15 101 oz tubes a day. That would come out to close to 16 pints per person per day lol.

We tend to stick to the Fantasy Class ships since we do shorter cruises, so no Red Frog bars yet. But the beer towers aren't a bad idea assuming they allow that with Cheers.

Edited by DarthGrady

I think I'll probably clean up on my 7 day. Not only because of 3 sea days but I'm booked in a room as the only person 21+. Now we have all the "extras" like specialty coffees, energy drinks, etc and it's open season! Like OP I'm a large individual with a fairly high tolerance so 15/day isn't too far off.

I think the $50 figure per drink is incorrect. I can't recall exactly but I think it's more around $14. I know on the Dream my K1 dirty martini was right at the limit.

As for buying by the bottle for your room the bottles are more like $80 - $100 and you do get a discount on those if you have the Cheers.

I ordered a bottle of Don Julio once for about $85 and we never opened it. Then I had to pack it home, so it's one of the most expensive bottles of hard booze in the pantry.

You're done. Once you hit 15 in a 24 hour period (6 am to 6 am) you cannot even buy more.

But this is for 15 alcoholic drinks, not 15 including non alcohol, right?

15 alcoholic drinks is borderline alky for me, I'd be karaoking that old alky anthem" Sunday Morning Coming Down" and it wouldn't sound anything like Johnny Cash. If you can handle that in a reasonable fashion, and aren't driving, more power to you bro;).

But this is for 15 alcoholic drinks, not 15 including non alcohol, right?

15 alcoholic drinks is borderline alky for me, I'd be karaoking that old alky anthem" Sunday Morning Coming Down" and it wouldn't sound anything like Johnny Cash. If you can handle that in a reasonable fashion, and aren't driving, more power to you bro;).

True, the 15 only applies to alcoholic beverages.

I don't espouse binge drinking, or even drinking to stupidity. I avoid both. But on vacations, cruises in particular, I'll have my first beer at noonish and average one per hour or so thereafter. We generally hit the piano bar and late hours in the nightclub. So 15 beers spread across that timeline gets me nowhere close to over served. Although I have had a few ill advised karaoke sessions.

Darth,

I have a suggestion for you - My husband is also a beer drinker and when we cruise he always gets the Foster's. It's double the size of a regular beer and only counts as one. Of course he happens to like Foster's so it works well for him:)

Sorry to break the news to your husband, but Fosters is brewed in Texas, not Australia. And Australian s think it tastes like bad water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I think the $50 figure per drink is incorrect. I can't recall exactly but I think it's more around $14. I know on the Dream my K1 dirty martini was right at the limit.

Maybe you were told wrong. Or, maybe the cruise to which you refer was prior to the enhancements to the Cheers! program? Either way, you are mistaken. The $50 figure per drink is correct.

From Carnival's website Cheers! page:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NDQ2NDQwMS9zaWQvaWRwQmJiX20%3D

The following beverages are now available within the enhanced CHEERS! program:

• All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, sodas (including specialty sodas) and juices
  • Specialty coffees and teas served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
  • Milkshakes, where applicable
  • RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea
  • 500ml bottles of water served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for all beverage classes and seminars

Jumping in late here. I was on the same cruise as part of the group.

100000000000%%%% agree the DJ needed to go more talk than song.

As for the 15 Drinks. I am a victim of running out almost every night. So to beat this when I was on #14 i bought myself a bottle of red wine and drank it. Yes wine @ 25% off because I had cheers. I agree with my cruise buddy GB I love the older ships....

Carnival still delivers a good product. I know we talk about crowds and carnival has one of the best

I have done RCL with the unlimited package and let me tell you some days i saw many people unable to walk. I guess thats what you get when you sail out of My home state of NJ...

Over all great cruise. Good staff. I had brunch with the Captain which was very nice.

so we decided to brave the infamous Cheers program and it's dreaded 15 per-day cap.

The Cheers program was a mixed bag. I like that it includes specialty coffees, sodas, and energy drinks. But having to count your drinks, or get a periodic tally from the bartender definitely sucks.

As a (male, 220 lb, 6'1") beer drinker, having one an hour isn't unusual or overly indulgent. So on two of the days I had my first beer around noon and hit my fifteenth in the nightclub late that evening. Never was I heavily intoxicated or in need of intervention.

So I will say that while I don't feel that the program is a total ripoff, I am still firmly of the opinion that the cap needs to go away. The bartenders are fully capable of judging when a guest needs to be cut off. I witnessed one such instance personally on this cruise.

The arbitrary cap doesn't take into consideration a person's size, tolerance, the strength of the drink or other factors that come into play. The cap is just there to keep a group of hard partying boozers like us from drinking up the company's profit margin.

I don't understand what you don't get about the fact that the Cheers program is like buying a bucket of beer -you get X number for a price and when it's gone it's gone.

It's a heck of a good price for 15 drinks. Just sayin .... :rolleyes:

I don't understand what you don't get about the fact that the Cheers program is like buying a bucket of beer -you get X number for a price and when it's gone it's gone.

I like the analogy.

I get it, I just don't like it. So I complain about it here (and on the surveys when CCL actually sends them) with the hope that Carnival will remove the cap and bring themselves in line with the other major brands.

I get it, I just don't like it. So I complain about it here (and on the surveys when CCL actually sends them) with the hope that Carnival will remove the cap and bring themselves in line with the other major brands.

Which isn't likely to happen. Let's face it, there are more threads about smuggling and sharing packages on the CCL forums then there are on the other cruise lines'. We have to accept that CCL knows its passengers and designs its policies accordingly.

Sorry to break the news to your husband, but Fosters is brewed in Texas, not Australia. And Australian s think it tastes like bad water.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Not sure what that has to do with ANYTHING the OP posted? :confused: She mentioned nothing about Australia. Im willing to bet her husband could not care less what Australians think about Fosters. He likes the beer. Thats all that matters to him, as it should be. Where were you trying to go with this? What news were you trying to break?

Edited by ryano