So I finally tried the Cheers program, here are my thoughts.

DarthGrady

RCI has a different demographic and no need for a cap to protect the profit margin. Of course one has the option of going a la carte and not having a limit.

And Royal per drink limit is about $10 whereas ccl is $50. Obviously need a cap if someone is drinking $40 drinks all day. Once you hit 14 could you just start buying each other beer since that is allowed. You have still saved money with Cheers.

Hello all, it's been awhile since I've posted a thread on the CCL forum. The last time was a cruise review from the Paradise. It was my last truly "open bar" cruise with Carnival.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2111153

The following year we did our guys cruise on RCI and had a decent enough time. But we missed Carnival's nightlife, so we decided to brave the infamous Cheers program and it's dreaded 15 per-day cap.

My husband I are regular beer drinkers (mostly coors light and bud light) I have actually tried to find a Cheers thread just for beer drinkers, as the other extras are not a big factor for us! I was wondering if you tried to buy a bucket for a "friend"to get more on days at sea when you;re near your limit? I don't see us getting there, but you NEVER know! ;) we've debated which way to go with this, I think we'll make out getting cheers, but we REALLY like the ice cold bucket... Just wondering if you tried at all! thanks

My husband I are regular beer drinkers (mostly coors light and bud light) I have actually tried to find a Cheers thread just for beer drinkers, as the other extras are not a big factor for us! I was wondering if you tried to buy a bucket for a "friend"to get more on days at sea when you;re near your limit? I don't see us getting there, but you NEVER know! ;) we've debated which way to go with this, I think we'll make out getting cheers, but we REALLY like the ice cold bucket... Just wondering if you tried at all! thanks

Some of the other folks in our group did the round of shots trick, but I didn't. I just drank my beers as usual.

It would be nice if CCL brought in a cheaper beer-only package. But since Royal just discontinued their version of it, I doubt it'll happen. :( Not much consideration in this world for us malted hops and barley lovers.

DW and I signed up for this on our upcoming 4-day cruise. We've never spent this much money on drinks even on a 7-day cruise. We decided to try it because it does include the NA drinks as well and we also plan on letting loose a little bit since it's our first vacation together since having kids. I wouldn't do it on a 7 day, 1. due to cost and 2. my liver would hate me.

This. With Cheers, when someone hits the 15 drink limit, they are no longer served alcoholic drinks right? So, not clear how no longer serving someone makes sense dollars wise.

And from other Cheers posts here, I'm not sure folks getting Cheers even worry about the "break even point". Seems many were more fixed on, I don't have to "worry" about the cost of a drink with Cheers....or if I order a drink I don't like, I toss it aside, and get something else...no worries.

But for me after reading many of these Cheers post, I'm turning in my Professional Alcoholics Card. Based on what I've read here, we just don't drink enough for Cheers to work for us. Even with the add on of non-alcoholic beverages, we simply don't drink that much....We are on the Vista TA next month, and even with the sea days, the $1500 price tag for Cheers, I just can't get past. Last thing I want to do on any cruise is hand them some dollar amount, and then hope it works to our favor, but odds are, it won't. There are a couple of other factors for the TA that make the $1500 less desireable, but sheesh I'm a light weight!

We were on the Sunshine back in may...9 day journeys cruise, we said we would "drink like we had Cheers"....added our drink costs after the cruise, fell way short of what we would have paid for Cheers...

My theory is that the 15 cap is profit protection masquerading as concern. Allowing guests to purchase more after hitting their cap would ruin that altruistic facade.

The cap in place means people are less likely to share or waste drinks. Since most people never hit their 15, it's not a big deal for them. But to bon vivants like us, it's simply an annoyance. Especially since I doubt it's even humanly possible for a guest to drink $55 worth of booze a day given what the cruise line pays for it wholesale/bulk.

My theory is that the 15 cap is profit protection masquerading as concern. Allowing guests to purchase more after hitting their cap would ruin that altruistic facade.

The cap in place means people are less likely to share or waste drinks. Since most people never hit their 15, it's not a big deal for them. But to bon vivants like us, it's simply an annoyance. Especially since I doubt it's even humanly possible for a guest to drink $55 worth of booze a day given what the cruise line pays for it wholesale/bulk.

On the one hand, the 15-cap regardless of size is pretty arbitrary. As a small woman and a lightweight I'd be unconscious and possibly dead, while you were barely intoxicated. On the other hand, if it was all about profits, wouldn't they allow you to buy more after your limit regardless of façade? I have to wonder if there were liability concerns based on encouraging certain types of Carnival customers (younger, lower impulse control) to drink their money's worth. Maybe a 15-cap was set as a CYA amount.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I believe everyone has a 15 drink limit, Cheers program or no. At least, that is what one of the bartenders told me.

This is completely incorrect. If you dont buy cheers, there is no cap on the amount you can buy.

Honestly, there isnt a cap even if you have cheers, as long as you are buying drinks for "friends." Getting to your 12th drink? Buy a bucket for the "group." They still take 1 of those beers from your drink total, but you now have a bucket. The key to working cheers is make friends with the bartender/server. I still tip $1 per drink on cheers and it goes a LONG way with them. If you are trying to do this with a bartender you havent seen before, you might get questioned. If its someone that you have been served by before and they like you, there will be no questions asked at all.

Source: Ive used cheers many many times.

On the one hand, the 15-cap regardless of size is pretty arbitrary. As a small woman and a lightweight I'd be unconscious and possibly dead, while you were barely intoxicated. On the other hand, if it was all about profits, wouldn't they allow you to buy more after your limit regardless of façade? I have to wonder if there were liability concerns based on encouraging certain types of Carnival customers (younger, lower impulse control) to drink their money's worth. Maybe a 15-cap was set as a CYA amount.

It could be partially CYA, but the bartenders can and often do cut off guests who've been over served. So I still think it's to cut back on sharing and wasting for the majority of folks who aren't going to hit their cap.

Someone else posted that people buying drinks ala-carte aren't subject to the 15 cap. So obviously the company hasn't put any kind of genuine thought or science into their arbitrary cap.

I think they don't want to offer a truly unlimited plan because they can't pre-plan their profit margin. Guests like me and my buddies are variables they couldn't control or plan for. In true Carnival style, they need to be absolutely certain they'll turn a profit.

Yeah, but have you tasted Fosters? :D

hey grady, happy to see you back around these parts.

i'm with the other posters suggesting fosters - the only time i'd ever drink it would be on a cruise - and given the 2-for-1 size tends to be my staple for the week... i kinda got used to the taste :D

i assume you're aware, did you try any of the 'work-arounds'? such as purchasing (instead of charging to cheers) drinks before you hit the limit, getting buckets of beer (which are not included), buying 'rounds' for friends (only one of which would be charged to cheers, the others a la carte)... there are a few ways to work within the restrictive policies.

i agree with your assessment of the motive for the cap, and agree it's crap. surprisingly i've never hit the cap (mostly thanks to the 2-for-1 size of fosters), but i agree with how you describe chafing at the thought of having to keep count. it's a pain and i kinda resent it. :rolleyes:

hey grady, happy to see you back around these parts.

i'm with the other posters suggesting fosters - the only time i'd ever drink it would be on a cruise - and given the 2-for-1 size tends to be my staple for the week... i kinda got used to the taste :D

i assume you're aware, did you try any of the 'work-arounds'? such as purchasing (instead of charging to cheers) drinks before you hit the limit, getting buckets of beer (which are not included), buying 'rounds' for friends (only one of which would be charged to cheers, the others a la carte)... there are a few ways to work within the restrictive policies.

i agree with your assessment of the motive for the cap, and agree it's crap. surprisingly i've never hit the cap (mostly thanks to the 2-for-1 size of fosters), but i agree with how you describe chafing at the thought of having to keep count. it's a pain and i kinda resent it. :rolleyes:

Hi Mark!

I didn't try the workarounds this cruise. I wanted to give Cheers an honest try to see if our guys group can come back to Carnival for good.

After several cruises on RCI with a drink package, it just seems so silly to have to use workarounds at all.

But we do love certain things with CCL. They've got the better night life and more relaxed party atmosphere. They've also got my beloved Fantasy Class ships! :D

So I think we'll be back for 2017, we'll get our drinks in, above board or otherwise. ;) I may even have to force myself to drink Fosters.

Edited by DarthGrady

It could be partially CYA, but the bartenders can and often do cut off guests who've been over served. So I still think it's to cut back on sharing and wasting for the majority of folks who aren't going to hit their cap.

Someone else posted that people buying drinks ala-carte aren't subject to the 15 cap. So obviously the company hasn't put any kind of genuine thought or science into their arbitrary cap.

I think they don't want to offer a truly unlimited plan because they can't pre-plan their profit margin. Guests like me and my buddies are variables they couldn't control or plan for. In true Carnival style, they need to be absolutely certain they'll turn a profit.

As you pointed out earlier having a 15 drink cap cuts down on sharing, which is also a variable that CCL has to consider. There is nothing wrong with a company wanting to be certain of their profit.

Hi Mark!

I didn't try the workarounds this cruise. I wanted to give Cheers an honest try to see if our guys group can come back to Carnival for good.

After several cruises on RCI with a drink package, it just seems so silly to have to use workarounds at all.

But we do love certain things with CCL. They've got the better night life and more relaxed party atmosphere. They've also got my beloved Fantasy Class ships! :D

So I think we'll be back for 2017, we'll get our drinks in, above board or otherwise. ;) I may even have to force myself to drink Fosters.

You can also purchase ahead of time and it will be waiting in your room. I've already paid for a couple 4 packs for my cruise in January.

There is a way around buying more drinks on Cheers. Our bartender explained you have to purchase drinks before you hit your 15th not after. Once you hit that 15th they will not serve you anymore but if around drink 12 you wanted to start buying and not applying them to Cheers you would just pay as you go and they would not subtract.

I agree with you guys too in regards to putting a number on it makes me want to reach that number much more than if I had unlimited. There were several nights on my last cruise that I did not need anymore to drink but I am a stubborn woman who loves a good challenge so I made sure I hit that number, just to hit it! And they should have some sort of variable for drinking beer vs. liquor. I hit 15 one day all on bloody Mary's and Vodka soda's and I did not get out of bed the next day until 3 pm. And then there were other nights that I hit my 15 on beer alone and felt just fine!

I love cheers. 49.95/day. Let me tally up what I drank on the program during my 5-day cruise last week...

Mon 91.75

Tues 86.40

Wed 79.40

Thu 101.75

Fri 111.9

Sat 3.50

Total: $474.70 or $94.94 per day.

If you can't drink liquor and can't limit yourself to 15 16oz beers per day (20 regular beers) and you can't drink Fosters....I guess it would be a problem but I would bet they are in the minority...It works for me

Edited by Saint Greg

If they were losing money they would eliminate the program since the primary goal is to make money. I think most people just worry about reaching the break even point every day (6 to 7) rather than trying to use all 15 drinks.

"...break even point" is the gauge I would use. I'm more of a mixed drink kind of guy, so I don't know if I could have 15 drinks every day! I have a feeling if I had 15 Stoli rocks on one day, I would not have many the next!

If I take everything into play, I think I could hit the 'break even point' every day considering the speciality coffees, etc. But on a normal day, I would be happy without speciality coffees, Red Bull, etc., so I'd have to work to hit 15!

If I were just a beer drinker, with that cost compared to cocktails, I don't know if the limit of 15 is worth the cost... (is it?) But I think the OP's comments are correct, some people have a greater tolerance, and I doubt there is coordination between a beverage package and ordering a bottle to the room? So if you really wanted to stay stupefied, it could be pretty easy, limit or no limit.

If I were on a 'Boy's Cruise' I think I'd be more inclined to give it a try! :D

Thanks for the photos OP!

"...break even point" is the gauge I would use. I'm more of a mixed drink kind of guy, so I don't know if I could have 15 drinks every day! I have a feeling if I had 15 Stoli rocks on one day, I would not have many the next!

If I take everything into play, I think I could hit the 'break even point' every day considering the speciality coffees, etc. But on a normal day, I would be happy without speciality coffees, Red Bull, etc., so I'd have to work to hit 15!

If I were just a beer drinker, with that cost compared to cocktails, I don't know if the limit of 15 is worth the cost... (is it?) But I think the OP's comments are correct, some people have a greater tolerance, and I doubt there is coordination between a beverage package and ordering a bottle to the room? So if you really wanted to stay stupefied, it could be pretty easy, limit or no limit.

It's the coffees and milkshakes etc. that might make me try Cheers next year on the Glory. With those items added in it would make it easier for me to hit the break even point (I don't think DW would have any trouble in that regard:)). While I wouldn't order a specialty coffee if I were paying for it I could definitely see ordering at least a couple a day if we had Cheers (and I'd splurge with a milkshake every day too probably).

It's the coffees and milkshakes etc. that might make me try Cheers next year on the Glory. With those items added in it would make it easier for me to hit the break even point (I don't think DW would have any trouble in that regard:)). While I wouldn't order a specialty coffee if I were paying for it I could definitely see ordering at least a couple a day if we had Cheers (and I'd splurge with a milkshake every day too probably).

Milk shakes! That's a another great idea/thought! Because I always have a problem reaching my daily calorie limit! If they put a daily limit on calories, I'd really be in trouble!:rolleyes:

No problem! I wish I had more pics to share, but it was a party cruise after all! I was a little dismayed that they painted the giant hands in the piano bar to tone down their awesome 80s-ness. They used to be black and white with red nail polish, now they're all boring gray.

You can also purchase ahead of time and it will be waiting in your room. I've already paid for a couple 4 packs for my cruise in January.

This is such a good idea for beer drinkers, plus you have one in your room if you are chillin on the balcony.

Has anybody noticed the lack of servers in some public spaces?

In January we did Magic for NYE and we did not get the Cheers. It was more to do a comparison between the two prior with it and then this one without. DW thinks it's a total waste for her and at best a break even for me, which I am OK with. Again a huge difference between CCL and RCL is I like the fact not everybody has to purchase.

On this last cruise we went to the comedy show and never got waited on at the table. We sat the entire show and never drank a drink. We were seated about 3/4 of the way back and I could see 2-3 wait staff "slowly" working the front, but nobody ever came more than half way back.

I think this is another tactic to raise the profit margin. Since I didn't have Cheers then it was no money out of my pocket. If I had Cheers and couldn't get a drink during the show then that is a loss for me and a win for them.

I just bought the RCL drink package for next month when it was 20% off and it came to $44 per day (+18%). I can easily drink that much before lunch. I probably average one drink an hour, but never have hit the limit on any CCL trip.

Then yesterday I learned RCL has combined all their packages into one "Deluxe" package. So now I gained some additional beverages that weren't worth paying for under the old program.

BTW: glad I didn't get the Cheers this last time as the first day and last day the weather sucked so no laying out on deck time, which really cuts down on the drinking time. Since DW spent all of the last day in the spa it would have been much cheaper to have had Cheers

It is, most certainly. It has zero to do with preventing folks from being over served. The staff can do that themselves.

The silly thing is that on RCI, I have no idea how often I have more or less than 15. I don't need to count. I'd wager many days on RCI are probably less than 15. But since CCL throws a number out there, I chafe at being restricted.

This is interesting. Coming off an RCI cruise, I was the same way. How many drinks? Who knows. They gave me doubles, top shelf, who cares.... they gave me whatever I wanted with a smile.

Now with a Carnival/Cheers coming up - I have to count my drinks, no doubles, etc. etc. Hopefully it ends up a non concern, we'll see.

Especially since I doubt it's even humanly possible for a guest to drink $55 worth of booze a day given what the cruise line pays for it wholesale/bulk.

Agreed. That would probably be what... three whole (750 mL) bottles of mid-tier liquor?

Has anybody noticed the lack of servers in some public spaces?

In January we did Magic for NYE and we did not get the Cheers. It was more to do a comparison between the two prior with it and then this one without. DW thinks it's a total waste for her and at best a break even for me, which I am OK with. Again a huge difference between CCL and RCL is I like the fact not everybody has to purchase.

On this last cruise we went to the comedy show and never got waited on at the table. We sat the entire show and never drank a drink. We were seated about 3/4 of the way back and I could see 2-3 wait staff "slowly" working the front, but nobody ever came more than half way back.

I think this is another tactic to raise the profit margin. Since I didn't have Cheers then it was no money out of my pocket. If I had Cheers and couldn't get a drink during the show then that is a loss for me and a win for them.

I just bought the RCL drink package for next month when it was 20% off and it came to $44 per day (+18%). I can easily drink that much before lunch. I probably average one drink an hour, but never have hit the limit on any CCL trip.

Then yesterday I learned RCL has combined all their packages into one "Deluxe" package. So now I gained some additional beverages that weren't worth paying for under the old program.

BTW: glad I didn't get the Cheers this last time as the first day and last day the weather sucked so no laying out on deck time, which really cuts down on the drinking time. Since DW spent all of the last day in the spa it would have been much cheaper to have had Cheers

The only area I had a problem with bar service was in Serenity. Only the occasional bar waiter came through, and we had to request him through the towel attendant. Usually I just walked up to the buffet bar.