prescription meds

4spring

Do I need to bring each script bottle or can I just make a list of them & carry them in one container? I don't have time to ask my MD for a letter.

We travel with prescription medications in their original bottles. If you are taking a narcotic, that should always be in its original prescription bottle.

keep in mind if you have any major issues (you're unconscious ), the doctors will need to know what you are taking and if you don't have the bottles or a list for someone to see then it could get tricky.

its safest to (at minimum) take a list with you with the names and dosages. the original bottles would probably be the best way

Thanks - this is very helpful. I think I'll leave the bottles behind but maybe to be on safe side, take a picture with my phone of each bottle.

You need to do what you are comfortable doing. We bring the prescription bottles because my husband has been stopped by the TSA multiple times, even though their website says you don't have to bring the bottles. He travels a lot for business and doesn't have the time to argue with TSA, wait for a supervisor or police officer to explain his rights. He has found it easier to bring all his bottles and make his connections.

He has had no issues with security at the port, but we usually fly to our cruises, so the bottles come with us.

keep in mind if you have any major issues (you're unconscious ), the doctors will need to know what you are taking and if you don't have the bottles or a list for someone to see then it could get tricky.

its safest to (at minimum) take a list with you with the names and dosages. the original bottles would probably be the best way

Agree...and also what the cruise lines all recommend.

I hate to see such bad advice given. If you cross the border with prescription medicine you need to bring the prescription (on the bottle) with you. If it is a narcotic or other regulated drug you can be arrested and fined for smuggling if you don't have the prescription (at least when you are entering Canada).

• Like 1

Ive always just packed my pills in a daily organizer, never have I brought the prescription bottle with me and never ever had any problem, this includes international travel as well.

Just went to Colombia last month and upon returning customs was more interested in my Cliff Bars in my carry on

Edited by Daveintb

If you don't have the original bottles with you, it is very difficult to try and explain it is a small white, blue whatever pill. Having worked at an animal hospital for 30 + years doing refills being part of my job, the number of pills, colors, sizes are huge. If you need an emergency supply and don't have a prescription naming the medication, MG and dosage with Dr's information it can cause delay in getting your medication filled possible even denied. The time saved and space involved to carry the actual bottle is small compared to trying to get a refill while traveling.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Ive always just packed my pills in a daily organizer, never have I brought the prescription bottle with me and never ever had any problem, this includes international travel as well.

Just went to Colombia last month and upon returning customs was more interested in my Cliff Bars in my carry on

Just because you haven't had problems in the past doesn't mean you will not have problems in the future.

Do I need to bring each script bottle or can I just make a list of them & carry them in one container? I don't have time to ask my MD for a letter.

Hi 4spring:)

I only use a weekly pill organizer for vitamins & always bring my meds, narcotics & injectable in their original script bottle/container. However, you can request from your pharmacy, a duplicate print out of your script labels & then place your meds in any container or organizer as you wish. My wife & I have been cruising over 3 decades now, never had an issue, but that doesn't mean an issue won't arise one day, so I approach my medications & traveling with a "When in doubt, don't" attitude..

Have a terrific voyage!!

(( PS: ))

I like to use original script labels because they describe the med, any numbers on med, and color of pills.

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Have traveled all over the world and have never taken the bottle with me. I do however have a list with all current medical issues and all prescribed meds.

I too have mine in weekly organizer. Sad if they have nothing better to do than harass senior citizens. There are enough real criminals in the world, FBI can't even keep track of reported terrorists.

Make a list on your computer and add the name of doctor and script numbers.

The cruise line does not care how your meds are packaged. Unless you are carrying a large container of any anything that would show up on x-ray or something that may relate to smuggling alcohol.

The TSA says you do not need the original containers, but they do care about liquids. US Customs does not normally search your bags, but may, if they suspect you are carrying illegal drugs. Individual USA states or cities police officers may care.

I have been traveling for 45 years, and only carry my class IV drugs in the original container.

EDIT: As others have pointed out, make sure you have a list! You may need to have a list to be treated by a physician.

It's amusing to think that any government agency would say "no problem" just because you are carrying pills in an orange plastic bottle with a label. I have pointed out that an agent on the line is not trained to know if the pill in the bottle is actually what is listed on the outside. If they are that easily fooled, I can only imagine how easy it would be to create a 'Doctor's Note'.

No worries, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by steveru621

Have traveled all over the world and have never taken the bottle with me. I do however have a list with all current medical issues and all prescribed meds.

I too have mine in weekly organizer. Sad if they have nothing better to do than harass senior citizens. There are enough real criminals in the world, FBI can't even keep track of reported terrorists.

Make a list on your computer and add the name of doctor and script numbers.

It's not just senior citizens who carry prescription medicines. We also put our over the counter daily vitamins in our weekly organizers.

Edited by davekathy

As far as taking meds on a cruise, I can see you speak from lots of expirence

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49871258#post49871258

I have zero experience taking a cruise. That is why I read these boards rather than post comments.

I do have experience with crossing international borders and with Customs procedures in particular.

If you have regulated drugs with you without the prescription then you MAY face difficulties with Customs. If you are questioned by a Customs Officer in regards to the drugs you have, your experience will be much better if you have the prescriptions with you.