Carnival enforces dress code

jonbgd

YES I could have started a new thread?

BUT doesn't the manager have bosses that approve this

F&B manager? Hotel director? and every Captain is aware of what goes on aboard his ship

BTW I have never worn shorts in the Steakhouse or for that matter not even mdr for dinner

They obviously don't have Corporate's approval otherwise the rules would be changed. Why do people lower down in the chain of command think they have the right to second guess management's rules?

Honestly what would Carnival do if someone guy shows up in womens clothing? Now a days it's a distinct possibility. Are they going to discriminate against them? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen, want riots on the ships, I can see the protests now :rolleyes:

On a cruise about two years ago -don't remember the ship-there was a man dressed in women's clothes the entire cruise. At least I assume he was dressed that way for the duration, since he was every time I saw him... about four or five times.

I'm not trying to start a heated discussion here, but can someone please explain to me what difference it makes to you what the person beside you is wearing while you eat? Serious question... does it really matter as much as some people make out?

If there are rules, there are rules. If they enforce them, they don't... it doesn't matter one whit to me how someone else is dressed while I'm eating, in the MDR, the steakhouse or my cabin!

Now personal hygiene- that's a different matter! There have been some folks I wanted to offer a stick of deodorant with their appetizer! The tables are so close that bathing SHOULD NOT be optional if eating in the MDR!

But seriously, if people choose not to follow the rules it should be between the diner and the maître d'... not everyone else in the dining room!

Shaded I have to agree with you. It doesn't really matter to me either what someone else is wearing. But to answer your question I'm guessing people's major objection to it is that if they follow the rules then everyone else should as well. Maybe they want to wear their bathing suit too and are upset that they followed the rules, aren't as comfy as they could be and someone else is getting to dine in their Speedo :)

Joking somewhat surely no one wants to wear their Speedo to dinner.

I'm not trying to start a heated discussion here, but can someone please explain to me what difference it makes to you what the person beside you is wearing while you eat? Serious question... does it really matter as much as some people make out?

So based on this, a guy in tighty whities (with possible skid marks) sporting black socks and a bow tie on formal sitting at your table next to your kids is okay with you? Because based on your statement, you are saying you are good with this. If this would bother you then you are simply arguing over what the standards should be.

I'm old school, probably because of my age and the number of cruises, and I wear a suit jacket every night in the MDR. But I really don't care how anyone else dresses (more concerned about cleanliness). If anyone needs to have everyone dressed to the nines, they need to get away from Carnival and cruise for 4 and 5 times the price on other lines (some easily 10 times Carnival). :)

First night of cruise, they have always been lax on attire, even years ago

Also on Carnival, in the past 8years I don't remember them enforcing a dress code at all

When we firt started cruising ( 2002) I bought a Tux. If we do a Celebrity or Princess I still bring it along but I stopped on Carnival 6 or 7 years ago. I wear a dress shirt and tie and am dressed better than most in MDR. Sad to see the tradition go by the wayside.

So based on this, a guy in tighty whities (with possible skid marks) sporting black socks and a bow tie on formal sitting at your table next to your kids is okay with you? Because based on your statement, you are saying you are good with this. If this would bother you then you are simply arguing over what the standards should be.

This is the obvious problem. ..skid marks suggest personal hygiene lacking as they stated they did have an issue with.;p

KC58ab got it right in one... skid marks are DEFINITELY a personal hygiene issue! but other than that, if the guy didn't smell, wasn't acting an obnoxious manner but just eating his food and not disturbing me, then yeah, I'd be okay with the tighty whities AND the bow tie! In fact it would probably provide some amusing entertainment on our part, but it definitely wouldn't offend me in any way!

Again, I'm not challenging anyone's right to feel this way, just trying to understand why it's such a big deal to some people, what others wear.

KC58ab got it right in one... skid marks are DEFINITELY a personal hygiene issue! but other than that, if the guy didn't smell, wasn't acting an obnoxious manner but just eating his food and not disturbing me, then yeah, I'd be okay with the tighty whities AND the bow tie! In fact it would probably provide some amusing entertainment on our part, but it definitely wouldn't offend me in any way!

Again, I'm not challenging anyone's right to feel this way, just trying to understand why it's such a big deal to some people, what others wear.

For me, it is not the particular clothes but whether or not people are wet and whether people have showered. In the buffet, sometimes it was like homeless people were in there, obviously had not showered or maybe had not even changed for a couple of days, there were others who were dripping wet. The floors were incredibly slippery. Many chairs wet. Just sucked. It seems like enforcing the dress codes all over the ship is a good idea because it may help with hygiene in general.

It's called the rules. If you don't like them, don't go.

This ^

Seriously though, rules are put in place for a reason. Carnival wants to keep a bit of the "class" during certain times. My parents use to lament how things have changed - flying for example: People also "dressed up" to fly somewhere. Now people wear their pajamas on the plane?

Would I prefer to wear flip-flops and shorts 24/7? Hell yeah.

It bothers me more that people say, "I knows those are the rules but I'm not going to follow them and if I get called out for it, I'll complain because I think those rules are stupid" than dressing a little nicer for a couple of hours a day - once or twice a year. Especially if those are rules.

I'm old school, probably because of my age and the number of cruises, and I wear a suit jacket every night in the MDR. But I really don't care how anyone else dresses (more concerned about cleanliness). If anyone needs to have everyone dressed to the nines, they need to get away from Carnival and cruise for 4 and 5 times the price on other lines (some easily 10 times Carnival). :)

I don't think a single solitary person has stated anything about anyone needing to be "dressed to the nines". Most of us have simply stated that everyone should be required to follow the posted rules (whatever those rules may be) or be turned away from the MDR. No need to pay more for a cruise on a different line, just need Carnival to either enforce their rules, modify their rules, or get rid of them entirely so the entire ship is on the same playing field.

This is the obvious problem. ..skid marks suggest personal hygiene lacking as they stated they did have an issue with.;p

Really, you address the skid mark pun but ignore the entire rest of the post. Okay, just for you, what if they were brand spanking new, clean as a whistle, right out of the package tighty whities? Are you saying that would be okay as now there is no personal hygiene issue (and of course, you ignore the fact that there is no personal hygiene rules on Carnival or any other cruise line that I know of)?

It's not an issue of what one wears which many of y'all love to sidestep. It's an issue of following the rules you voluntarily agreed to follow because you think the rules don't apply to you (cruisers in general, not you specifically). If you can get Carnival to change to abolish the rules, then you are free to wear anything your heart desire. Until that time, you are expected to follow the rules you said you would follow.

good job Carnival!

Why are you saying "good job Carnival?" Are you referencing the original post which is a year old or something more recent?

And like Computer Nerd has said, and which I agree with, when you sign your cruise contact you agree to follow the rules that are in place on board. That means following the rules for designated smoking areas, which doesn't include your balcony, no matter how much you think you can get away with it.

It also means dressing in accordance with the rules for certain dining venues on board. It simply ceases to amaze me how many of you will argue until the cows come home how you feel you can wear whatever you want to the MDR, despite you not following the dress code in place, regardless of whether Carnival is enforcing the dress code for that particular ship/sailing. With MULTIPLE dining venues on board, surely ONE of them would accommodate your dress preferences!

Mind you, my wife and I have never tattled on anything someone was wearing to the MDR. That is the job of the Matire'd and their staff. And it certainly doesn't make our dinner less enjoyable as we tend to keep to ourselves or with our traveling companions.

I guess I should stay out of threads like this and some of you are sooooo vocal about how you believe the rules don't apply to you. I really am curious as to how you were raised that you have such a sense of entitlement!

If Carnival enforced the dress code 100% of the time, most of these threads wouldn't exist.