Carnival enforces dress code

jonbgd

Here's a snippet from my reservation for the steakhouse on the miracle:

75bc7cdbf4e9414c68873091a96b06b2.jpg

It states specifically that shorts are not allowed on either casual or elegant nights. Sorry for your friend, but he should have just gone back to his room and changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It appears he read the dress code for ladies instead of men since ladies DOES state dress shorts. I see how he could get it confused if he was skimming and saw dress shorts in the dress code and didn't see the distinction between genders. You'd assume if one gender couldn't wear shorts in there the other couldn't either. That is probably where the issue arose.

Don't mind them having the policy in the steakhouse since they do seem to enforce it there. Have been waiting for table and have seen guys sent back to change out of shorts.

Also did see a sign by the steakhouse another night we went that said shorts were ok that night. Was a little annoyed since didn't have note in room or message and not in daily about change. Must have had few reservations that night and loosened things up, but you knew who booked in advance since they had long pants!

When they say no shorts they mean no shorts. I don't understand the poster's problem??:confused:

Sometimes you do not even have all of your luggage by the early dining time. That has happened to me even though we are plats and are supposed to get our luggage early. I am surprised they denied entrance.

Shorts are never allowed in the Steakhouse and there are multiple notices of this including on the reservation card.

The dress code notice in the Funtimes is for the MDR, not the specialty restaurants so that isn't even a factor.

You can reserve ahead the Steakhouse on line ahead of time. That is when you pre-pay!

Um. NO. You request a reservation and get a confirmation by e-mail. There is no payment involved until you have eaten you dinner.

I just received a confirmation from the Farenheit 555 Steakhouse on the Breeze for an upcoming cruise. There is absolutely no reason not to be prepared to dress appropriately the first night as the dress code is spelled out in the e-mail.

Thank you for choosing Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse.

Your reservation request for 2 Guests at 7:30pm on *************2017 has been confirmed.

To help you plan for the evening, our dress code is noted below.

Should your plans change, please keep us advised at brsupper@carnival.com

I will do my best to accommodate you at another time.

We look forward to serving you!

Your Steakhouse Manager,

Olga Zhurbenko

Carnival Breeze

P.S. We are having a promotion in the Steakhouse on Embarkation and the first Cruise Elegant nights of the cruise! Guests booking a reservation on either night will receive a complimentary bottle of house wine or 50% off any bottle from our wine list!

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire.

There is a joke in here somewhere. Carnival, Miracle, Enforcing Dress Codes...

But I just can't find it.....

I have to agree with this. I was on the Miracle in August and every night I saw someone in shorts, even on Elegant nights.

We went to the steak house once, but I didn't see anyone in shorts.

I don't know why everyone keeps going off the same thing about shorts are never allowed in the steakhouse they absolutely are allowed and it's clearly stated in their own rules. They are simply allowed for women only and must be dress shorts. So quit with the whole shorts are NEVER allowed like it's some outrageous faux paus to wear them in there, obviously it's not. They are allowed in there under certain circumstances.

All women can wear them other than elegant night and on some nights they even post it so men can wear them too as confirmed by many posters here.

Saying never never never simply isn't a true statement.

I've enjoyed watching a guy complain about not getting seated on the Liberty because he had dress shorts on instead of regular pants, he lost. Nothing irritates me more than when someone thinks rules don't pertain to them. I don't care what the dress code is, but if one is in place, respect it.

I don't know why everyone keeps going off the same thing about shorts are never allowed in the steakhouse they absolutely are allowed and it's clearly stated in their own rules. They are simply allowed for women only and must be dress shorts. So quit with the whole shorts are NEVER allowed like it's some outrageous faux paus to wear them in there, obviously it's not. They are allowed in there under certain circumstances.

All women can wear them other than elegant night and on some nights they even post it so men can wear them too as confirmed by many posters here.

Saying never never never simply isn't a true statement.

They're stating it because the dress code clearly says:

"

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are not permitted."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Even for the MDR code, the only part of the code that specifies "men's" in the Elegant code is "sleeveless tees" (women are allowed to wear sleeveless shirts, but that's likely because the style of a lot of elegant female clothing is sleeveless and not as typically so for men). The prohibited shorts has no gender listed. (Shorts are allowed on Cruise Casual nights for anyone and everyone, so long as they are considered "nice" enough and that basically amounts to not "cut-offs". This is in the MDR though, which is why the Steakhouse specifies otherwise.)

I imagine with things like capris and whatnot, it is a lot more likely a woman in shorts is not noticed by the Maitre'D in the MDR, plus not all MDRs on Carnival are super vigilant about policing the dress code, but the Steakhouse is not the MDR... it is much smaller for one and they are very specific about their code (even note it when they call to confirm) for another.

Personally, I don't care about dress codes. I only learn them because I, by nature, follow rules. But this thread, with the screenshot someone posted was the first time I heard about dress shorts for women being any different. That must be new or maybe even vary ship-to-ship, I don't know.

Edit: If you're saying someone got away with it somewhere, I mean... that might have happened (definitely, I assume, in MDR; less likely in Steakhouse, but not impossible) but that doesn't change the rule. If you get away with going 90 in a zone where the speed limit is 45, it doesn't change the speed limit...

Edited by berrieh

This May on the Ecstasy the Steakhouse enforced the no shorts on the last night, on the Magic this July they allowed shorts and t shirts on the last night at the Steakhouse. Need to follow rules on every ship.

There is no steakhouse on Ecstasy or any other Fantasy class ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've enjoyed watching a guy complain about not getting seated on the Liberty because he had dress shorts on instead of regular pants, he lost. Nothing irritates me more than when someone thinks rules don't pertain to them. I don't care what the dress code is, but if one is in place, respect it.

I could never enjoy watching that .

On the Carnival Miracle

It was the first night of the cruise Sept 24

My friend was on his first cruise ever, after years of me bragging about Carnival:rolleyes:

He had decided to do a cruise, instead Tahoe or Vegas, as he usually does for his B=Day, for the last 10 years

This was on Saturday night Embarkation day

His Bday dinner that he pre-paid for

SO he followed suggested attire of Cruise Casual from the Capers and showed up to the Steakhouse and was denied service.

He was in dress shorts, closed toe shoes and a collared shirt

WTH:confused::eek:

Good to finally hear that Carnival is doing their job. It's a shame your friend didn't read the dress code for the Steakhouse and not for the MDR.

It seems that the dress code is enforced differently on each ship. I think this is quite confusing to cruisers!

We were on the Conquest last October and a guy was turned away from the MDR on elegant night for wearing shorts. Other folks have reported people being allowed in no matter how they were dressed. I think this issue needs to be uniform across all the ships one way or another!!

DH is a very casual guy who will wear a t shirt and jeans everywhere but on elegant night he'll put on slacks and a shirt if that is the rule. I don't care what others wear but I would like Carnival to make up its mind and stick to whatever they decide!

If one follows the dress code instead of hoping they are on a ship that ignores the code one will have no issues and there will be no confusion.

CARNIVAL has made up their mind and they have issues a dress code. It's individuals that work for Carnival that can't seem to do their job properly and enforce the code Carnival has established.

Edited by Computer Nerd

No one seems to respect anything or anyone anymore, not even themselves.

I'd like to see it eliminated mostly because Carnival employs it unevenly (ship to ship, day to day) and in a discriminatory manner (against men, never against women). Just be rid of it. Nothing wrong with nice golf / walking shorts on vacation. Enforce the no gym clothing rule.

Better yet, enforce the rules as they are currently written and there will be no discrimination. If they can't enforce the current rules then they would not enforce watered down rules either and you'll have gym shorts and athletic cups everywhere. ;)

Better yet, enforce the rules as they are currently written and there will be no discrimination. If they can't enforce the current rules then they would not enforce watered down rules either and you'll have gym shorts and athletic cups everywhere. ;)

I find it almost funny when someone says, "abolish the code, but don't allow ....."

Just chiming in.....

I booked the Steakhouse on Magic for January. Didn't prepay. Here's the confirmation I received....there's nothing in the email that prompted me on the dress code, but we've always worn dress slacks and collar shirts....

Dear Jeffrey

Thank you for choosing Prime Steakhouse.

Your reservation request for 4 Guests at 8:00pm on Jan 07, 2017 has been confirmed.

Should your plans change, please keep us advised at mcsupper@carnival.com

I will do my best to accommodate you at another time.

We look forward to serving you!

Your Steakhouse Manager,

Kristina Popic

Carnival Magic

P.S. We are having a promotion in the Steakhouse Embarkation and first Cruise Elegant nights of the cruise!

Guests booking a reservation on either night will receive a complimentary bottle of house wine or 50% off any bottle from our wine list!

On the Carnival Miracle

It was the first night of the cruise Sept 24

My friend was on his first cruise ever, after years of me bragging about Carnival:rolleyes:

He had decided to do a cruise, instead Tahoe or Vegas, as he usually does for his B=Day, for the last 10 years

This was on Saturday night Embarkation day

His Bday dinner that he pre-paid for

SO he followed suggested attire of Cruise Casual from the Capers and showed up to the Steakhouse and was denied service.

He was in dress shorts, closed toe shoes and a collared shirt

WTH:confused::eek:

That is not new , NO SHORTS IN THE STEAK HOUSE !!!!!!!