Carnival enforces dress code

jonbgd

It seems that the dress code is enforced differently on each ship. I think this is quite confusing to cruisers!

We were on the Conquest last October and a guy was turned away from the MDR on elegant night for wearing shorts. Other folks have reported people being allowed in no matter how they were dressed. I think this issue needs to be uniform across all the ships one way or another!!

DH is a very casual guy who will wear a t shirt and jeans everywhere but on elegant night he'll put on slacks and a shirt if that is the rule. I don't care what others wear but I would like Carnival to make up its mind and stick to whatever they decide!

Should be no shorts period. Follow that and you won't have a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd like to see it eliminated mostly because Carnival employs it unevenly (ship to ship, day to day) and in a discriminatory manner (against men, never against women). Just be rid of it. Nothing wrong with nice golf / walking shorts on vacation. Enforce the no gym clothing rule.

I'd like to see it eliminated mostly because Carnival employs it unevenly (ship to ship, day to day) and in a discriminatory manner (against men, never against women). Just be rid of it. Nothing wrong with nice golf / walking shorts on vacation. Enforce the no gym clothing rule.

That is problem, where to draw the line. As a frequent cruiser on Carnival, my personal view is they have gone to far. Requiring long pants in the steakhouse and enforcing solves the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you think it has to do with shaven tanned legs :confused:.

The concern with " nice golf / walking shorts " is it devolves into this is no time flat:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8HpQ1X06b-NdbWDyQMeMGR8KEBfViJdyzo80vxsxARrVAYkAwtw

and this

bruce-jenner-short-shorts-photo.jpg

The concern with " nice golf / walking shorts " is it devolves into this is no time flat:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8HpQ1X06b-NdbWDyQMeMGR8KEBfViJdyzo80vxsxARrVAYkAwtw

Women already dress like that and aren't denied entrance. Ever.

So I don't see a problem with men dressed like this. Kind of sick and tired of being told I can't be comfortable and reasonably dressed on vacation because someone else out there can't figure out how to dress like a human.

Society now has to cater to the lower common denominator set out there and make every rule imaginable because those people have no common sense or decency.

This outfit looks good to me. Looks a lot like how I look on vacations. Don't see anything wrong with it.

5502e3c1f3e95df6d55765f024629ee2.jpg

OP, did they allow your friend to go change and return? I have seen them turn someone away before (not in my party) and the hostess absolutely said they could go change and return. If it was an honest misunderstanding between 1st night/Fun Times listing for Cruise Casual/him not getting a reminder, he absolutely should not just lose his ressie, but be able to go change and come back. Or did he not have luggage yet to do so? Usually by dinner time, you do have luggage, but things do happen. We do 1st night steakhouse and always bring clothes we could wear in our carry-ons even though we usually have FTTF and get luggage straightaway.

How did he prepay for the Steakhouse dinner?

Yeah, this is weird. I don't even think you can...

As poster BoDiddly pointed out, he did check the dress code in the CAPERS

What's a Capers? I assume he means Fun Times. The steak house has its own dress code, and they do remind you in the reservation. OP doesn't specify that he followed the STEAKHOUSE dress code. The general one in the Fun Times is for MDR...

Edit: I have plenty of stuff I'd rather ban from the steakhouse than shorts, personally. I don't care what people wear one iota, but it has always been exceeding clear to us what the steakhouse dress code was... It says on the page where you book it, in your confirmation, and sometimes they even put it in the reminder call.

Edited by berrieh

OP, did they allow your friend to go change and return? I have seen them turn someone away before (not in my party) and the hostess absolutely said they could go change and return. If it was an honest misunderstanding between 1st night/Fun Times listing for Cruise Casual/him not getting a reminder, he absolutely should not just lose his ressie, but be able to go change and come back. Or did he not have luggage yet to do so? Usually by dinner time, you do have luggage, but things do happen. We do 1st night steakhouse and always bring clothes we could wear in our carry-ons even though we usually have FTTF and get luggage straightaway.

Yeah, this is weird. I don't even think you can...

What's a Capers? I assume he means Fun Times. The steak house has its own dress code, and they do remind you in the reservation.

Edit: I'd much rather they ban children from the steakhouse than shorts, personally. I don't care what people wear one iota, but it has always been exceeding clear to us what the steakhouse dress code was... It says on the page where you book it, in your confirmation, and sometimes they even put it in the reminder call.

Capers was the name before Fun times hit the market

Yes, follow the regulations/rules and you'll have no problem at all---at least 99.99% of the time.

Yes, I do work for a regulatory agency! Guess it's just in my nature to find out what is expected and allowed and just go with that. If someone wants to do something outside of that, there are plenty of other situations/vacations which will accommodate their preferences.

I know there have been many posts and many threads about Carnival not enforcing their own rules. What I find funny are the "oh, horrors!" comments people make when they do enforce the rules. Ambiguity causes uncertainess, for sure, but if it's right there in writing, it shouldn't be hard to do what we're asked to follow. Then, everyone can get their "expected" outcome.

BTW---I personally don't care what anyone else wears. Sometimes it's the "out there" clothing choices that make for great people-watching episodes followed by hilarious gossiping! :D

I still call the Fun Times the Capers..... It still sounds better to me after all the years:o

He didn't bring home the fun times, so I cant see what was listed for the steakhouse

He had prebooked, a reservation for the first night of the cruise, for his BDAY

I had suggested it and he was disappointed that he was denied a table

So he went to the MDR in his shorts and had a good meal

He wore a suit to the MDr the next night and enjoyed a couple lobster tails

So obviously he wasn't trying to avoid the dress code

But decided not to go back to the steakhouse after the initial experience

While I never wear shorts in the MDR or specialty restaurants for dinner, no matter what night.

And I do appreciate Carnival enforcing dress code, if it was listed that way

It was the first night of the cruise

The reason dress code isn't enforced on the first night is sometimes people havnt got their bags or unpacked yet

He did say the food was good all week in the dining room

The buffet got a little boring as the week went on and food was only average

The line for the Chinese food wasn't worth the wait

I still call the Fun Times the Capers..... It still sounds better to me after all the years:o

He didn't bring home the fun times, so I cant see what was listed for the steakhouse

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation, on the Capers.

Glad to hear he didn't allow it to ruin his vacation.

Here's a snippet from my reservation for the steakhouse on the miracle:

75bc7cdbf4e9414c68873091a96b06b2.jpg

It states specifically that shorts are not allowed on either casual or elegant nights. Sorry for your friend, but he should have just gone back to his room and changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always pre-book the steakhouse for the first night. We always get a confirmation call in the early afternoon. If we aren't there, they leave a message to contact the steakhouse to reconfirm our reservation. Everytime we have either called them back or gone in person to reconfirm, they have reiterated the NO SHORTS policy. They said if our luggage did not arrive prior to our dining time, to please contact the steakhouse to reschedule.

DH usually wears shorts to board. I usually wear capris and could get away with my outfit at dinner in a pinch. I pack a shirt and pair of slacks for DH in our carryon so that if the luggage is late we can still have our first night steakhouse dinner.

You don't prepay for the steakhouse. They bring you a slip at the end of your meal like a regular land-based restaurant and you sign it and add the tip if you desire.

You can reserve ahead the Steakhouse on line ahead of time. That is when you pre-pay!

The Miracle does enforce the dress code both in the steak house and in the MDR. One of the many things we love about her!

There is a joke in here somewhere. Carnival, Miracle, Enforcing Dress Codes...

But I just can't find it.....

You can reserve ahead the Steakhouse on line ahead of time. That is when you pre-pay!

I did not have the option to pre-pay when I pre-booked the Steakhouse on Liberty.

Funny thing though...when I pre-booked, it was called Harry's Steakhouse on-line. But on board, it was called Diamonds Steakhouse. Anyone know the story behind that? :confused:

It seems that the dress code is enforced differently on each ship.

I don't even know what the MDR dress code was on Liberty. At brunch, I saw a waiter tell a man to remove his ball cap but during dinner, men were wearing ball caps, sombreros and bath robes. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The Steakhouse was clear though. They reminded me on my reminder phone call that shorts were not permitted. One of the nights I attended was the Elegant night. On that day's phone call, they even said jeans were not permitted.

Edited by Aquahound

Sailing out of Galveston Tx back in 2007, the first night in the main dining room, I saw many men wearing their cowboy hats.. During service, they made an announcement on their speaker in there, about their dress code and that hats were not allowed, but since many were not "aware", that they would not enforce it on that first night.

Don't mess with Texas, lol