Which Ships are Pushing the Once a Day Room Servicing?

MCFTJCH2V

Just got off the Valor, and our Stateroom attendant, who has been working for Carnival for 31 years (!!!!!) was sad about the upcoming changes that Carnival has been implementing. To be fair--he wasn't outwardly complaining--it just came up when I expressed KUDOS/amazement that he had been doing his job for such a long time, and asked if he was going to retire soon to spend time with his family.

The changes were the reason that he truly was thinking about retiring. He said that he feels like he isn't able to provide "great" service anymore, because of the increased # of rooms he is responsible for. When he started (Mardi Gras) he had 15 staterooms. It then progressed to 20, and now he's got 25. He said the next change, coming soon, will give him 37 staterooms, which is far too much for him to do, EVEN WITH the directive that they will only be servicing the cabins once per day.

So....there's that.

CeleBrat

I was hoping this had gone away since not hearing any comments about it for a couple of months.

Leaving on the Splendor on Saturday - checking BOTH, and will tip extra since the steward will be working so hard for us.

Just got off the Valor, and our Stateroom attendant, who has been working for Carnival for 31 years (!!!!!) was sad about the upcoming changes that Carnival has been implementing. To be fair--he wasn't outwardly complaining--it just came up when I expressed KUDOS/amazement that he had been doing his job for such a long time, and asked if he was going to retire soon to spend time with his family.

The changes were the reason that he truly was thinking about retiring. He said that he feels like he isn't able to provide "great" service anymore, because of the increased # of rooms he is responsible for. When he started (Mardi Gras) he had 15 staterooms. It then progressed to 20, and now he's got 25. He said the next change, coming soon, will give him 37 staterooms, which is far too much for him to do, EVEN WITH the directive that they will only be servicing the cabins once per day.

So....there's that.

CeleBrat

I like (and prefer) the twice a day service. However, to be honest, where else can you go and get twice daily service. Any hotel you stay in will make up your bed (s) in the am and won't be back until the next am. I don't have a problem with no bed turndown. I can turn down my own bed. Not a deal breaker. As for the towel animal, if that is what you like, they can do it when they make up the bed in the am. I see no eal advantage to the bed being turned down. I would much rather they make it up in the am. Just my thought.

I like (and prefer) the twice a day service. However, to be honest, where else can you go and get twice daily service. Any hotel you stay in will make up your bed (s) in the am and won't be back until the next am.

In fact, when you book a first class hotel in the United States such as a 4 or 5 Diamond rated hotel from the American Automobile Association evening turn down service is required to be offered in addition to the regular daily servicing of the rooms.

I like (and prefer) the twice a day service. However, to be honest, where else can you go and get twice daily service. Any hotel you stay in will make up your bed (s) in the am and won't be back until the next am. I don't have a problem with no bed turndown. I can turn down my own bed. Not a deal breaker. As for the towel animal, if that is what you like, they can do it when they make up the bed in the am. I see no eal advantage to the bed being turned down. I would much rather they make it up in the am. Just my thought.

I agree with you. At hotels, you should only expect it at 5 star, and maybe some 4 star hotels; that's it.

Forget the reviews here. Carnival is a 3 star cruise line, mass market and budget priced. If you want Carnival prices and free Guy's burgers, etc. It has to get paid for.

As I stated above, if you want the top-end service, you will pay for it on other cruise lines, both Carnival-owned lines and others.

Like I said yesterday, a cruise is SO much different than just staying in a hotel :confused: These little things like twice a day service are what made a cruise special and they are going to the wayside yet they keep going up on gratuities. Basically paying more $$$ for less service is the name of the game for all mass market cruise lines. Carnival starts and others will follow.

I cannot blame anyone that adjusts their gratuities accordingly.

Edited by ryano

I'm pretty sure that it is only a matter of time before once a day service will become the norm on CCL- no choice given.

Then, if you want twice a day, Carnival has other lines that will provide that.

Carnival may opt to offer its Diamond members turn down service in a bid to stay competitive with other loyalty programs of the other lines. Just a thought.

Like I said yesterday, a cruise is SO much different than just staying in a hotel :confused: These little things like twice a day service are what made a cruise special and they are going to the wayside yet they keep going up on gratuities. Basically paying more $$$ for less service.

I cannot blame anyone that adjusts their gratuities accordingly.

I answered a question that was asked: "where can you get that level of service in a hotel?" I agree that cruises are apples and oranges with hotels today.

Edited by sanmarcosman

I've yet to ever stay in a hotel anywhere (nor would I) where a night room needed to be turned into a day room, and then back to a night room.

When we started cruising, the two sofas, along the walls, were put together or set up as twin beds at night, then returned to wall couches. There was no bed in the middle of the room, even though the standard rooms were still 185 square feet.

These days you still have rooms with convertible couches, and beds that come from the walls or even the ceiling, as well as trundle beds. These all require twice a day service.

And still those of us that enjoy dress up and turn down service in the standard cabins. The living space is extremely small to even compare to a hotel room.

Edited by Je Souhaite

I'm pretty sure that it is only a matter of time before once a day service will become the norm on CCL- no choice given.

Would it be a hoot if after they tell us most people prefer one time service they offer to provide both for only a slight upcharge.:eek::eek:

Would it be a hoot if after they tell us most people prefer one time service they offer to provide both for only a slight upcharge.:eek::eek:

If they ever moved to an up charge on anything having to do with the stewards job, I would immediaty remove ALL tips.

I think that is what many of us feared when the subject was first raised, despite Carnival's protestations to the contrary.

While I ask for twice per day service I also try to make it as easy as I can on our room steward. We keep our room very neat, ask for no turn down or towel animal. Our needs are simple, make the bed and empty the trash once per day and fresh towels as needed. Often we will see our RS on our way to the MDR and will simply tell them we are good, no need for service. I have glanced into rooms as we walk down the halls. Some folks are really really messy. How do you clean and make the bed when all you see is a mass of clothing scattered about?

Some attendants may say it's once a day only but so far Carnival has not shown anything that proves that. From a recent post on Triumph if you believe it, his attendant insisted it was one or the other and when he said he expected at least a change of towels twice a day and ice kept full he was told you will get what you get, after threatening to cut tips, he got twice a day service. To me that's an attendant issue, that doesn't reflect on Carnivals policy of twice a day service.