Large group on Oasis Feb 19 Cruise - will if affect dining or entertainment shows

cdoobiest

I just found out that there is large theme cruise for my Oasis EC sail Feb 19. Music City Gospel Cruise. Approx 1000 people is what I was told.

I have no problem with music or people attending but wondering if this will affect entertainment schedules or dining schedules to accomodate private events due to this private convention at sea.

Just wondering other people's thoughts when large groups on board. I am surprised RCCL would allow during this time as it is New England and New York winter vacation for many.

When there are large groups of people on a cruise, remember that there are still around the same number of people on the ship. In normal cases, the groups will be much smaller (families), compared to 1000 people in a single group. The only difference you might notice is that might be areas of the ship that are used for meetings of their group (theater for example) when normally those areas are vacant. But I would doubt you will notice any appreciable difference.

I just found out that there is large theme cruise for my Oasis EC sail Feb 19. Music City Gospel Cruise. Approx 1000 people is what I was told.

I have no problem with music or people attending but wondering if this will affect entertainment schedules or dining schedules to accomodate private events due to this private convention at sea.

Just wondering other people's thoughts when large groups on board. I am surprised RCCL would allow during this time as it is New England and New York winter vacation for many.

Yes, it will affect entertainment schedules in certain venues at certain times. It is difficult to know how it will affect dining. That will depend on how their contract reads. Sometimes groups take over dining enmass and then they block off dining rooms just for the group. Sometimes the groups are set up to chose whatever dining style the individuals want. I'd recommend going online and see how the cruise brochure for this group read a. Good news is that the bars are less likely to be crowded.

We were on a Med cruise a couple of years ago and were worried when we found out a large group were on board....Fortunately this large group met up somewhere every sea day 10-12 and 2-3.... never had such a quiet pool.

They were in a specific area of the MDR first seating....no issues for other passengers. We believe they had a similar area sea days for lunch...again no issues for other cruisers.

No

Same amount of people on the ship every week and all those have to eat and see a show if they want

Of course, they might have all the pepper grinders on their tables

I just tend to disagree, they travel in packs, they congregate en masse. 1000 people in one group is way different than 250 families of 4. Run as fast as you can. 😱😱

And the matching outfits will drive you nuts. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

I just tend to disagree, they travel in packs, they congregate en masse. 1000 people in one group is way different than 250 families of 4. Run as fast as you can. 😱😱

We had a group of ~1200 on Anthem last year.

Lots of venues, including 270, closed for this group. Large parts of the complimentary restaurants were reserved for them, they had "priority" lines, entertainment reserved, etc. Various "functions" at various times :(

We felt like "second rate" guests :mad:.

And the matching outfits will drive you nuts. [emoji6]

I wonder if 1000 in a group together can tip the ship:p

No

Same amount of people on the ship every week and all those have to eat and see a show if they want

Of course, they might have all the pepper grinders on their tables

Yes, but it's 1,000 people who are bringing a large contingent of performers for their own entertainment. How many places can seat 1,000 without changing any current entertainment?

Edited by Mark_K

Don't pay attention to her

Who is HER and why do so many long time posters appear to dislike HER?

I have noticed much of the information HER posts seems to be nonsense and less than accurate but maybe this comes under "freedom of speech." What happens if everyone hits the ignore button?

Who is HER and why do so many long time posters appear to dislike HER?

I have noticed much of the information HER posts seems to be nonsense and less than accurate but maybe this comes under "freedom of speech." What happens if everyone hits the ignore button?

Don't know, she never responds. I've learned a lot about her over the years though. She's generally consistent

Yes, large groups do affect your cruising experience, but to what extent is basically a luck of the draw, some groups more that others. I was once part of large group that like to party hardy, various venues were closed to non group members, the group took over the piano bar, and we did hang out together and I know we bother other cruisers.

Interesting. I just learned from the roll call that my Oasis Feb 5 cruise has an 800 member group on board. Rocky and the Rollers. I went to their website and they have 2 cruises booked back to back on Oasis. That makes 3 in a row. This group needs a dance floor. My guess is they use the ice rink for the shows and dances. They even have a prom lol.

http://rockysrockincruises.com/current-cruises/

Should make for some interesting people watching.

Edited by wsyrob