Signature Beverage Package? 15 drinks a day? Yikes

marluvs2go

We've had the "beverage package included" on many cruises. Celebrity was the first one who offered it, I believe. It was nice to have the freedom of not counting drinks and having whatever you fancied, but we did not come anywhere near breaking even if we had to pay for the package. We would never buy the package, but I can see for people, who are hefty drinkers, how they would benefit.

Am I correct in thinking there is no savings with a beverage card?

Seems to be just another way to manage your on board expenses. I did take advantage of having a few 6-packs delivered to the stateroom. I don't see much savings there either but I do like having it readily available and not having to run all the way to a bar to grab a beer so I can sit on the balcony and enjoy a sun set.

I am doing the math and I guess I cannot figure out how anybody could save money? 15 glasses of wine or 15 beers? I guess if you add specialty coffees and drink everyday maybe you would come out ahead? Since the limit is $8.00 per drink it seems impossible to me to drink up that much each day? Plus somedays I would just choose soda so even if I decided to really "bottoms up" the next day I could no way get near my money's worth. I know younger folks can pack away the beers and maybe this is meant for somebody who starts the day with mimosas and continues to drink? So if they say 15 drinks per day plus 15% tip if you drank 15 drinks at $8.00 plus $1.20 that would be 15 times $9.20 = $138.00 on a daily basis. (Big Savings) As hardly anything is priced at $8.00 mostley at around 7 dollars. So if you buy a Miller Lite beer it would cost you $6.84 you would have to drink aprox 6 of them to break even and of course more to save money? Same for glass of wine....I am just curious here some of my family would save money on this ha but if you choose to not drink or drink a lesser amount say on Shore days or your? hum then the package has cost you a pretty penney? If anybody has some figures or thoughts on this I would love to here them. To me I would love to sign up but only with the thought in mind I could splurge on the more expensive drinks when I felt like it? As an example order a really nice bottle of wine way above what I normally would....but you cannot do that. So seriously I do not see how too many folks would benefit. OR I AM MISSING SOMETHING????I am not what you call a lite drinker I love wine and Rum but something about the structure here is benefiting the ship not me...thanks!

I only book a drink package if it is part of a package sale . On one cruise i had it added when a cruise went on sale . Paid less the the original amount including the explorer 4 package tips and a large on board room credit . I do like not having bar and other beverages on the room bill it makes it a lot easier to verify . Now after having the beverage package a few times our travel agent has been able to have it added at a discount. No way we would pay full price as we don't drink for sport !

:o

On our upcoming cruise in January, we were booked without a beverage package. Last week we saw a much lower price on a date two weeks later on Expedia, but on the HAL site it was still at about what we are paying. When we called, the price on Expedia is without the beverage package and on HAL is with the package. The difference for the two of us was $800. We do not drink $800 worth of drinks on a cruise, so it's a new date and no package for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Am I correct in thinking there is no savings with a beverage card?

Seems to be just another way to manage your on board expenses. I did take advantage of having a few 6-packs delivered to the stateroom. I don't see much savings there either but I do like having it readily available and not having to run all the way to a bar to grab a beer so I can sit on the balcony and enjoy a sun set.

You are correct. The beverage cards used to have a small discount but this was discountinued some time ago (except for the soda card). We still like them since it keeps us from having one pile of charges added to our bill to keep track of ;)

It also helps with budgeting (if one wants to do that).

And since we are Canadian, we get to "choose" which exchange rate we want to pay rather than be subject to one day in time when the bill is processed ;)

I have never had the Explore 4 package, but my TA told me for $350, I could add it to my 22 night South Pacific cruise. I am not a big drinker, but drinking 2 and I break even. Plus I can get bottled water, soda and non alcoholic drinks. That made the decision very easy.

My brother in law and his son can easily handle the 15 drinks a day and do, not for me, I barely make it through one.For them it's worth the price since their bar bill is usually higher than their cruise payment. But I've often wondered how they even remember they've been on a cruise when they have so much alcohol in their systems. I like to remember my experiences.

Edited by sandij

We recently booked a 14 day Canal cruise with the Explore 4. It cost us an additional $600 p.p. For the $1200 we received the SBP, a $350 OBC, free gratuities worth $375, a Pinnacle Grill dinner worth $70 and an increase of our OBC from our TA from $500 to $610. We also received a $200 internet credit. Between the gratuities and the additional OBC, that was $825 all by itself. We felt that made SBP very reasonable for a 14 day cruise. Again, everyone's situation may be different.

Just booked the 10 day Panama Canal cruise and with 5 sea days it is well worth it for us. We got the Explore 4 package as well. We are using an old deposit back from 2012 so that is like an extra bonus as that money was forgotten about a long time ago. I will have to try the Wang Wang as well.

What kind of Martinis are included? Any good white wines?

Edited by alpal1993

we have just returned having bought the package for 1250 dollars for the two of us. It was a 12 night cruise. Although expensive it was cheaper than our bar bill would have been.

We kept track and it would have been 2,500 dollars.

It was not all alcohol we had water coffees soda and wine as well as gin and tonic.

just the gin and tonic would have been nearly 20 dollars for this pre dinner drink for both of us each night 20 x12 = 240 just for that one drink over the cruise.

We never went over the 15 but one day we got to 14.

Worth it for us.

The new liver is on order from ebay

Edited by jaxw17

Just booked the 10 day Panama Canal cruise and with 5 sea days it is well worth it for us. We got the Explore 4 package as well. We are using an old deposit back from 2012 so that is like an extra bonus as that money was forgotten about a long time ago. I will have to try the Wang Wang as well.

What kind of Martinis are included? Any good white wines?

All the martinis are included except for a couple of really upscale ones (anything under $8). The white wines under $8 are so so, drinkable but there are a lot better choices out there;).

You might want to get a bottle of wine here and there to alleviate the "boredom" of the wine choice ;)

It is hard to justify the drink package when purchased at full price. You have to drink 7-8 drinks a day to make it worth while. Don't forget there are shore days when you can't avail yourself of the drinks on the ship. That said, it is nice to order drinks wihout having to worry about how much you will owe at the end of the cruise. Since the drink package is part of the Explore 4, that is a definite plus for me.

Just did a drink package on the Oasis. Normally I would never come close to hitting the breakeven but with water at $3 per bottle and a glass of wine for $12, $4.50 lattes and a $12 cocktail, I pretty much was even or even a little bit ahead. Grabbed water at every bar/lounge and probably had 8 of these per day. Three coffees, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and 2 or 3 cocktails during the day. Even if I skipped the cocktails the water was my tipping point. The package also came with the soda cup (which i never opened.)

Since adult beverages are so much more reasonably priced on HAL though, I will skip it this next trip and will haul on my own bottled water. The steep prices on Royal sort of forced me into it, especially when the advance purchase price is 20% less than when buying on board.

It was really nice not to deal with the cost of my drinks or think about whether or not I would like something. If I didn't like it I would just get something else.

We had a 2015 Eastern Caribbean cruise booked then Explore4 came along and after a quick call HAL added it to our booking at no charge- Bonus.

On our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise I got a special offer that was good enough that losing the Explore4 made it waaaay worthwhile.

Whatever floats your boat.

Interestingly enough a co-worker paid more for her 2015 RCL inside cabin on Oasis than I did for my 2015 Westerdam verandah with explore4. Then she upsold for $70+ USD/ per day for the same drink package. Wow!

Edited by sammygoose

My brother in law and his son can easily handle the 15 drinks a day and do, not for me, I barely make it through one.For them it's worth the price since their bar bill is usually higher than their cruise payment. But I've often wondered how they even remember they've been on a cruise when they have so much alcohol in their systems. I like to remember my experiences.

So funny [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Instead of thinking in terms of 15 drinks a day, think of it as 7 drinks a day at

$7, plus, perhaps, a specialty coffee or two. That is not an unheard number of alcoholic drinks while on a cruise. And it does make bookkeeping a little easier. Also, the liquor is not relegated to 'house brands". Would we buy a package, probably not, but it is a welcome addition if "free."

I am doing the math and I guess I cannot figure out how anybody could save money? 15 glasses of wine or 15 beers? I guess if you add specialty coffees and drink everyday maybe you would come out ahead? Since the limit is $8.00 per drink it seems impossible to me to drink up that much each day? Plus somedays I would just choose soda so even if I decided to really "bottoms up" the next day I could no way get near my money's worth. I know younger folks can pack away the beers and maybe this is meant for somebody who starts the day with mimosas and continues to drink? So if they say 15 drinks per day plus 15% tip if you drank 15 drinks at $8.00 plus $1.20 that would be 15 times $9.20 = $138.00 on a daily basis. (Big Savings) As hardly anything is priced at $8.00 mostley at around 7 dollars. So if you buy a Miller Lite beer it would cost you $6.84 you would have to drink aprox 6 of them to break even and of course more to save money? Same for glass of wine....I am just curious here some of my family would save money on this ha but if you choose to not drink or drink a lesser amount say on Shore days or your? hum then the package has cost you a pretty penney? If anybody has some figures or thoughts on this I would love to here them. To me I would love to sign up but only with the thought in mind I could splurge on the more expensive drinks when I felt like it? As an example order a really nice bottle of wine way above what I normally would....but you cannot do that. So seriously I do not see how too many folks would benefit. OR I AM MISSING SOMETHING????I am not what you call a lite drinker I love wine and Rum but something about the structure here is benefiting the ship not me...thanks!

We usually buy the top drink package on our cruises. I don't want or need to sit and review every drink purchase and match them up to our bill. And I don't want to schlep in wine/soda/water at embarkation. Each cruise line does it a bit different. HAL limits the daily total, others do not. I don't think we ever hit the limit.

Remember it 15 DRINKS a day. Not 15 beers or 15 glasses of wine. And the tip is already included. If you buy individual drinks during the day you get to pay an additional 15% gratuity on each one. So while the package limits you to drinks of $8 or less, without the package you pay the additional gratuity.

The cruise line have been inching up the drink prices every year. Package prices go up too but not as much or as fast and all lines have a special package discount pre cruise time.

If you don't drink any adult beverages and are happy to get your liquid refreshment from the Lido, then the package is of no value to you. If you drink like there is no tomorrow then the package is worth it. For those in between some basic calculations are necessary.

So you like that special coffee in the am. Then late morning you decide to get one of the Bloody Mary's up on the Lido. Say after lunch you want a couple of bottles of San Pellegrino while sitting around the pool reading. Maybe an afternoon/pre dinner Mojito. Glass or two of wine with dinner. Then an evening speciality coffee.

Each one of those will cost you and the added gratuity way more than the package. Toss in a couple of bottles of water and you're over any savings. Plus you will need to review your bill and get any mistakes corrected.

For us the package is well worth the price.

Hi, we always buy the drink package. At the end of the day for us it's more a peace of mind kind a decision. We enjoy speciality coffees, beer, wine and we try new cocktails...at lunch or dinner we always have Aqua Pana or SanPelligrino on the table. Also we always have bottles of water in the cabin and bring one or two when on excursion. Our friend are 4star Mariner and they never buy it.

On our last cruise we kept all the receipt and at the end I did the math...we beat the package by 4 drinks, or bottle of water....but surely drinks.

Everyone think differently about these package and at the end it's your choice.

Dogo88 I just read your post and you said it better than me!! Thank you

Edited by Kiminime

Everyone think differently about these package and at the end it's your choice.

And that is the real answer.

Some value the convenience even if they pay a touch more.

Some value the certainty, even if they pay a touch more.

Some value the freedom to try something new, without thinking the wasted money if they don't like it, even if they pay a touch more.

Some end up paying less, some a lot less.

It comes down to what you value.

And that is the real answer.

Some value the convenience even if they pay a touch more.

Some value the certainty, even if they pay a touch more.

Some value the freedom to try something new, without thinking the wasted money if they don't like it, even if they pay a touch more.

Some end up paying less, some a lot less.

It comes down to what you value.

All true.

What I can't 'wrap my mind around' is those who purchase the package knowing they are paying more per drink than if they didn't, but justify the expense of getting ripped off by saying it saves them having to figure out they are being ripped off or not.

Why don't they forego the package and not 'keep track' - they will save money, and still avoid all the hard physical labour of adding up their chits and checking the folio.

Psychology is a funny thing.