Oceania Dress Code Nuances/Interpretations

njhorseman

We are on regatta right now, and yes- there was a man in Toscana wearing shorts, at dinner time. Nothing was said to him.

Also- there is a guy flying a drone around the pool deck

I don't think this should be allowed.

I will ask an officer , what the policy is on drones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't happen to be in the Amazon cruise are you??? The reason I ask, is that there was a person on CC last year saying he was bringing his drone on the Amazon cruise, and he was very ahem adament about it (search on drones in this forum and you will find It). Just curious, not that it is that person, but it would definitely raise some eyebrows concerning responsible adult. Pls let us know if it was handled, as I for one would NOT be happy, and would ask that it be confiscated until port.

We are on regatta right now, and yes- there was a man in Toscana wearing shorts, at dinner time. Nothing was said to him.

Also- there is a guy flying a drone around the pool deck

I don't think this should be allowed.

I will ask an officer , what the policy is on drones.

That is not good on either count

Shorts in the Specialties is not usually the policy the Maitre'd should have asked the guest to change

Who is the GM on your cruise?

I would speck to him on the drone matter ..that would be disturbing :eek:

I have never seen shorts in the GDR at dinner time let alone the specialty restaurants. I agree, that person should have been politely told to leave.

As to drones on the ship, I'm sure I read here not that long ago that the policy is no drones on the ship. Anyone who has a drone needs to obey the laws of the country where a port of call is scheduled.

I can't believe they would want a drone being used on board. If the operator lost control of the drone and hit another passenger, there would be a lot of #$@(&*^ to pay.

Mura

We're sailing on Riviera on Jan. 3 and recently got our documents. Under the heading Onboard Dress, I find the statement: "Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear OR SANDALS (my emphasis) are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana." I have no problem with most of those items, but I live in Florida and almost ALL of my shoes, including my dress shoes, are sandals. Do they really mean women can't wear dressy sandals? Or do they really mean flip-flops?

We're sailing on Riviera on Jan. 3 and recently got our documents. Under the heading Onboard Dress, I find the statement: "Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear OR SANDALS (my emphasis) are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill and Toscana." I have no problem with most of those items, but I live in Florida and almost ALL of my shoes, including my dress shoes, are sandals. Do they really mean women can't wear dressy sandals? Or do they really mean flip-flops?

Can't help you with one of your problems (living in Florida :D) but I can tell you that dressy sandals will be OK :)

Can't help you with one of your problems (living in Florida :D) but I can tell you that dressy sandals will be OK :)

Living in Florida not a problem at all. We love it here. The problem comes with people living in California. They seem to have no clue how the real world lives. (just kidding) Maybe.

Do they really mean women can't wear dressy sandals? Or do they really mean flip-flops?

If you wear them to the beach they are probably not allowed in the dining venues for dinner exception would be the Terrace

Dressy women's sandals are fine

That is more or less what I thought, but i think excluding "sandals" is an unfortunate choice of words on O's part.

Thanks, all.

Karen

P.S. Living in Florida means finally realizing a life-long dream. NO MORE WINTER! (Except I still have elderly relatives who live where it's cold, and still have to go visit, even in the winter.)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your reply.

I read the FAQ, and that's why I asked the question. The FAQ could easily be interpreted as not permitting shorts in the Terrace Cafe, as it says "For evening dining...", which does not exclude Terrace Cafe from the rule...after all you are dining there in the evening.

From practical experience I also know it's not uncommon for dress codes as presented on a cruise line's website to be different than how the dress code is actually enforced or interpreted on board. In fact I've seen the dress code vary by ship and itinerary on the same cruise line. I've been on Bermuda cruises where "Bermuda shorts" were permitted in dining venues that would normally not allow shorts on other itineraries. I put "Bermuda shorts" in quotes because the practical effect was to permit almost any type of shorts. It was likely the crew had no idea what wearing traditional Bermuda shorts normally entails. True Bermuda shorts are usually in pastel shades, and are traditionally worn with over-the-calf socks and a blazer.

To make a long story short (pun intended), I was looking for how the dress code is interpreted and enforced in practice, not what's written in the FAQ.

Sadly often the dress code is not enforced.

This sounds a bit stuck up, but there ARE limits! "Smart casual" can be more "casual" than "smart" at times.

We've seen one or two passengers who didn't appear to have changed their clothes all cruise, and one or two who wouldn't have looked out of place sleeping rough under the rail bridge.

One of the attractions of the Oceania product is the lack of formal evenings - don't pack a tie - but IMO the maitre D's should be more firm than they sometimes are.

The fact is we all know what is proper and good manners and decorum. The very asking of the question "can I wear this or that" indicates that understanding fully and some how wants to get excused from what they know is proper.

The overall question of dress and dress manners should not be what can I get away with, but rather what should I do.

It makes no difference what others do...its you who are responsible to your values and aesthetics We all know whats right and whats not..

Just off Regatta a few weeks ago. While awaiting our table at Toscana one evening, we stood behind a woman who was wearing wrinkled and faded white capri pants with plastic shower shoes, the kind worn at the gym after a workout.

Also, at the Grand Tea in the lounge, a woman showed up in her bathrobe. Piled a small plate high with goodies and left.

Not sure if it was the same person, but they must have both subscribed to the same dress code.

Just off Regatta a few weeks ago. While awaiting our table at Toscana one evening, we stood behind a woman who was wearing wrinkled and faded white capri pants with plastic shower shoes, the kind worn at the gym after a workout.

Also, at the Grand Tea in the lounge, a woman showed up in her bathrobe. Piled a small plate high with goodies and left.

Not sure if it was the same person, but they must have both subscribed to the same dress code.

I am surprised the Maitre'd did not request her to change her shoes :(

Well at least she did not stay for tea ;)

Sometimes people will come in from the sun deck with a beach cover-up & take the goodies with them

I personally believe there is very little ambiguity in the dress code. There are just a bunch of people that have no desire in adhering to any dress code and look for ways to twist the words so to meet their desires to dress down for any occasion. If the maître de doesn't do their job in controlling this, those wishing to wear their "tackies" for every occasion will soon sweep through the ship like the noro virus, and affect all phases of the cruise. Rules and regulations are only as good as the will to enforce them!:( :(

I've read here about some people who have worn bathrobes to the Concierge and Executive Lounges on Marina and Riviera (although I've never seen it myself) ... but to tea??????????? Even if you're not staying, that's really incredible.

And then there are the shoes ...

Mura

I've read here about some people who have worn bathrobes to the Concierge and Executive Lounges on Marina and Riviera (although I've never seen it myself) ... but to tea??????????? Even if you're not staying, that's really incredible.

Mura

I think some people use the bathrobes as cover ups at the pool

Rather than going back to the cabin to change from their swim wear to get a treat then go back & put the swim suit back on they wear the bathrobe

Swim suits are not allowed in Horizons or even the Terrace & many people maybe do not pack a cover ups

Just my observation

It is not ideal but better than them sitting at tea in a swinsuit/towel or bathrobe

Flip flops to dinner is another matter though :eek:

I personally believe there is very little ambiguity in the dress code. There are just a bunch of people that have no desire in adhering to any dress code and look for ways to twist the words so to meet their desires to dress down for any occasion. If the maître de doesn't do their job in controlling this, those wishing to wear their "tackies" for every occasion will soon sweep through the ship like the noro virus, and affect all phases of the cruise. Rules and regulations are only as good as the will to enforce them!:( :(

I do agree.

There are increasing numbers of people moving up from mass market lines where rules are different and (naturally) they bring their "customs" with them (dress code, self service at buffet, etc).

That is not to say that they are the only ones to disobey these regulations but they are probably more likely to do so due to their prior experiences.

I think that very basic dress code rules should be enforced - otherwise it is a very slippery slope.

I must comment on the bathrobe attire. I've seen more than a few men walking around the ship wearing nothing underneath and things were flapping in the breeze. They don't seem to understand "exposure".

Two cruises ago one man in particular was grossing everyone out.

Pinot and Paul, I too agree that better enforcement would be the way to go. I won't hazard a guess as to why some people think "anything goes", but they should be disabused of that idea!

Mura

Dress rules is a discussion on every cruise line and ship forum. Seems that all cruise lines and ships have dress regulations of some sort and the common thread is that some people do not follow the rules.

It is not a matter of "people moving up from mass market lines where rules are different and (naturally) they bring their "customs" with them " or even "anything goes" attitude. It is what people can get away with.

As you all say, enforcement is the real issue. People will just do what they can get away with. If no one from the ships crew or staff tells them otherwise, then it is OK.

So, is it a passenger problem or is it a ship problem?

Edited by pete_coach

Dress rules is a discussion on every cruise line and ship forum. Seems that all cruise lines and ships have dress regulations of some sort and the common thread is that some people do not follow the rules.

It is not a matter of "people moving up from mass market lines where rules are different and (naturally) they bring their "customs" with them " or even "anything goes" attitude. It is what people can get away with.

As you all say, enforcement is the real issue. People will just do what they can get away with. If no one from the ships crew or staff tells them otherwise, then it is OK.

So, is it a passenger problem or is it a ship problem?

I'd say it is a bit of both.