Explorer's Inaugural Atlantic Crossing: A Joint Live Blog

Mr Rumor

Agree with everything that Mr. Rumor posted about John Barron (especially the description of being a "bit impish"). I believe he will be onboard the Explorer until sometime in January (also happy that his family will be onboard - he is really a family man and having them onboard for Christmas and New Year's will make the holidays perfect for him).

Last night the Food and Beverage department outdid themselves. CR was packed - many arriving at the same time (after the "TPG" event). Service was wonderful - the food was great (and was served at the correct temperature). The servers, assistants and sommeliers worked as a team - with smiles all of the time. I have no idea how they accomplished it but bravo to F&B!

About the "TPG" party (which I unfortunately missed due to another obligation), I'm a bit surprised that there are so many Gold and above Seven Seas Society Members (and I believe that there are more Titanium members onboard than on any previous cruise).

Just spent some time "tweaking" our future itineraries again. Lynn (Cruise Consultant) has been quite busy booking cruises. In addition to returning to the Mariner next year, we will be returning to the Voyager as well (particularly interested in seeing the Voyager after her refurbishment).

One comment about the computers and WiFi - it continues to be so much better than in July. I can use the laptop in our suite and it just about as fast as using the computer in the Business Center. Can't resist mentioning once again that the Explorer needs more computers.

I spoke with John Barron about the noise level. He goes from venue to venue checking the level but sometimes the performers turn up the sound as soon as he leaves. The issue for us is mainly between 6 and 7 p.m. when people are chatting (or trying to) while having a pre-dinner cocktail. As an aside, it seems that younger people (under 50) have been raised with loud music (with and without headphones). As we know, this can do permanent damage to your hearing. So, I'm wondering if the "under 50" crowd will have to increase the sound as they age in order to hear it. Anyway, John is doing his best to keep it controlled.

One week left of this great cruise - enjoying every moment!

Thanks, It is good to know that Explorer handles the seas well

Another question: Is there any noticeable difference (for either the passengers or the Captain) in having direct propulsion rather than directional Azipods on Explorer? e.g. noise, vibration, manoeuvring

Enjoy your sea days

Flossie, I had a chance to put your follow-up question to Captain Stan at the Officer and Guests Baggo competition this morning. His response regarding direct propulsion vs. directional Azipods: "Azipods are more maneuverable in general, while vibration and motion are really the same. Direct propulsion is easier for maintenance, which is the main reason we have it." He added that the Explorer uses two bow thrusters and one stern thruster for maneuvering.

Rich

P.S. Baggo is a bigger deal than I would have imagined. About 40 passengers showed up and each four-person team was paired with an officer or staff member. CD John starred by sinking his two bean bags, while Ginny and I slinked away after scratching with our four throws.

... As an aside, it seems that younger people (under 50) have been raised with loud music (with and without headphones). As we know, this can do permanent damage to your hearing. So, I'm wondering if the "under 50" crowd will have to increase the sound as they age in order to hear it. ...

Boomers did too! My generation also grew up listening to very loud music. So the 60's and 70's crowd (in age and decades of our youthful indiscretions) have already experienced that hearing loss that you speak of. No, we didn't have headphones back then, but we listened to lots of loud rock music. I still do, although it tends not to be rock, but country and bluegrass, all kinds really.

Boomers did too! My generation also grew up listening to very loud music. So the 60's and 70's crowd (in age and decades of our youthful indiscretions) have already experienced that hearing loss that you speak of. No, we didn't have headphones back then, but we listened to lots of loud rock music. I still do, although it tends not to be rock, but country and bluegrass, all kinds really.

Interesting! I'm a "Boomer" and loved music (rock and roll) but did not play it loud (perhaps because my parents would not permit it). This could be the reason that my DH thinks that I have "stealth hearing". He can be at the other end of the house talking to one of our cats and I hear what he is saying.

Back to the Explorer -- I believe that many of the sound issues can and will be corrected. We had lunch in P7 (as I noted back in July, the door to Prime 7 says "P7") at the same table yesterday and today. It is below La Veranda. While La Veranda is mostly carpeted, there are some tables that are not on the carpeting. We heard the scraping of chairs very clearly from our table. This is another area where insulation needs to be increased. It seems that the insulation from suite to suite is great but there is an issue between decks. Fortunately most dining venues and lounges are not above or below suites. The two exceptions are the Observation Lounge below us and maybe (not sure) the suites above the Meridian Lounge. BTW, we are loving the fact that both P7 and Chartreuse are open on sea days!

While drinking my Mexican Butterfly at the Pool Bar (which is great since it is non-smoking), I observed the bottles of beer and noted that there were more choices than listed on the menu.

In addition to Samuel Adams, Coors Light, Amstel Light, Bud and Bud Light, Heineken (regular and light) there is "Buckler" and O'Doul non-alcoholic beers as well as SOL, Corona and Dos Equis (misspelled - the last three from Mexico), Tiger (from Thailand or Singapore), Daura (Spain) and Grolsch. For those that like alcoholic cider, there is Strongbow Apple Cider.

Going to do a meditation class with Olivia, Assistant Cruise Director this afternoon. On the menu tonight is Chateaubriand!

Edited by Travelcat2

Flossie, I had a chance to put your follow-up question to Captain Stan at the Officer and Guests Baggo competition this morning. His response regarding direct propulsion vs. directional Azipods: "Azipods are more maneuverable in general, while vibration and motion are really the same. Direct propulsion is easier for maintenance, which is the main reason we have it." He added that the Explorer uses two bow thrusters and one stern thruster for maneuvering.

Rich

P.S. Baggo is a bigger deal than I would have imagined. About 40 passengers showed up and each four-person team was paired with an officer or staff member. CD John starred by sinking his two bean bags, while Ginny and I slinked away after scratching with our four throws.

Thanks for the info. Azipods seem to have provided some costly maintenance issues for many cruiselines

Your trip reports and photos are excellent. Sorry to hear that you had an off-day for Baggo.............but it is always good etiquette to let the Captain win ;)

Since we will be doing the canal cruise from LA to Miami in January, I am very interested in how the debarkation phase of your cruise goes in Miami.

Especially, how the 4 computers manage with the printing of airline tickets during the last 24 hours and the amount of time it takes to actually leave the ship. If it becomes a hassle, I am seriously considering bringing my portable printer to print my own without standing in a long line.

Have been following all the messages and your trip sounds delightful. Can't wait til it's our turn. Best to all.

Since we will be doing the canal cruise from LA to Miami in January, I am very interested in how the debarkation phase of your cruise goes in Miami.

Especially, how the 4 computers manage with the printing of airline tickets during the last 24 hours and the amount of time it takes to actually leave the ship. If it becomes a hassle, I am seriously considering bringing my portable printer to print my own without standing in a long line.

Have been following all the messages and your trip sounds delightful. Can't wait til it's our turn. Best to all.

Not having a printed boarding pass isn't the end of the world. You can usually choose to still check in beforehand online and just not print the pass. Or just leave it and check in at the airport, just like the old days. Why sweat about a boarding pass? (Not tickets, just boarding passes.)

Agree that this is a concern as Miami is infamous for delaying debarkation. Also, the lack of computers on the Explorer is an issue. While not airlines are charging you if you don't have a boarding pass, this seems to be yet another way for airlines get more $$$ from us by charging for boarding passes.

Will post about our experience after we disembark on December 2nd.

I burned exactly 601 calories in my workout today. I figure that's enough to cover about three layers of this 14-layer Prime 7 beauty, the Ultimate Chocolate Cake. It is my once-every-cruise indulgence, and I confess I didn't leave a crumb tonight. Now it's back to the gym in the morning!

a8c92d93ea172652c357358911a2f0f8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning from Deck 12 on Sea Day Four of five in a row (and No. 5 in total). We've got some walkers!

Liar's Club had its Regent prime-time debut last night in the Constellation Theater, and CD John, whose idea it was to move LC from its usual late-night lounge slot to the main theater, pulled it off. Thirty teams of six participated and the hour was a hoot, with the two Smithsonian lecturers, Assistant CD Olivia and guest comedian Mark providing the lies and host John the double-takes (including writhing on the floor in response to one "definition"--add "zany" to the words I used to describe him earlier). A tape of the hour will be sent to Miami, and I wouldn't be surprised if Liar's Club is promoted to a headlining slot on a Regent ship near you in the future. To accommodate Liar's Club, the song and dance troupe's Peggy Lee-themed program was moved up to 6 p.m. It drew a good crowd. We really enjoyed it, staying as long as "Fever," before having to make our Prime 7 reservation.

After three days of sampling the Pool Deck buffet du jour (BBQ, German and Greek), we're going to try either Chartreuse or Prime 7 for lunch today. Each offers a menu for lunch very different than its dinner offerings.

After lunch the odds are good that we'll return to our room for what we would be our fourth movie, before joining friends for trivia. Then, on our second Formal Optional evening it's the Seven Seas Society cocktail party, followed by dinner (Sette Mari perhaps) and "My Revolution" in the Constellation Theater. John mentioned that "My Revolution," which celebrates the "musical frenzy that rocked America and became known as the British Invasion," has been extensively reworked since we saw it on the MV.

Rich

db3d767d25228b763d3b066051dcb309.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Explorer Penthouse suite when I checked out a couple of friends' Penthouses on the Maiden Voyage. I much preferred our Concierge suite for its design (bed facing the sea; bathroom boasting both ample shower and bath), tremendous amount of storage space, and more. I didn't care for the design of the Penthouse with its room divider (made the suite seem small) and oversized entry (it seemed a waste of space and the placement of a table and chairs--facing a counter with sink--seemed an afterthought).

Now that we've spent a week and a half in it, I still don't love our Penthouse, but I think I've fallen in like with it.

It was helpful for me to show the Penthouse to a couple who are in a Concierge on this cruise but who are considering a Penthouse for their next. Lance had only spent fifteen seconds in our suite before declaring, "There's no comparison." "Meaning?" I asked. "This suite is so much better for us." He explained that he gets up earlier than his partner, so the divided room had appeal. Meanwhile he liked the table in the entry as a working space. Plus, neither he and his partner cared about having a bathtub. He loved the oversized shower with the side jets.

I realized afterwards that as an early riser and occasional night owl as well, I've come to appreciate having the separate "living room" space, too, so as not to disturb Ginny. And the table in the entry has become a convenient spot to place Ginny's and my items. DW, a bath lover, still misses her tub. But we don't miss the extra storage space we had in our Concierge suite. We have enough storage in the Penthouse. So, all in all, I'm OK with the Penthouse.

The bottom line is that I think the Explorer Penthouse will appeal, or not appeal, based on a couple's individual situation. If one of you keeps later or earlier hours than your spouse/partner and if you don't mind not having a bath, the Penthouse is probably a good bet.

Now if only Regent would only install a couple of measly hooks on the five-foot section of blank wall inside the Penthouse door! Those hooks come in handy for the hanging of jackets, day packs, etc.

Rich

Agree with Mr. Rumor's assessment of the PH suites - it would definitely not be our choice. Also, our Grand Suite's closet isn't as large as in the F1/F1 and Concierge Suites.

Went to the Connoisseur Wine lunch and want to post the menu before I get sober:D

Louis Roederer "Cristal Rose" - 2007 Brut - Reims - Champagne - France - ($525) served with: Siberian Caviar and Traditional Condiments and Fresh Blinis.

Far Niente -- 2014 Chardonnay - Napa Valley, CA - ($95)

Served with: Foie Gras Ravioli, Passion Fruit sauce, Chipotle Glaze, Toasted Hazelnuts.

Pegasus Bay - 2011 Pinot Noir - Waipara Valley, New Zealand ($80)

Blackened Tiger Prawns with Salsa Cruda.

Chateau Cucru-Beaucaill9ou 2EME Cru Class - 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot - Saint Julien - Bordeaux, France ($175)

Roasted Guinea Fowl with Lemon and Thyme Essence, Risotto with Cranberry and Chanterelles.

Marchesi Antinori "Solaia" Toscana GT - 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Cabernet Franc, Tuscany, Italy ($335)

Gorgonzola-Crusted Grilled Black Angus Beef Tenderloin with Amarone Red Wine Sauce, Roasted Potatoes.

Amazing wine and food to match (and incredible service). Cost is $169/person (can use OBC's).

Inniskillin Ice Wine - 2012 Vidal, VQA, Niagara Peninsula, Canada ($79)

Baccarat - Tahitian Vanilla Charlotte with Wild Berry Compote.

The "Business Center", as it is called on the Explorer, is anything but - it is a very small room with four computers and one slow printer. At times when there are plenty other activities, one may be able to grab a computer and get a decent connection, but it is iffy. My biggest complaint is being momentarily knocked off and losing whatever I was working on at the time. Unlike the majority of passengers on this voyage, I am not retired and have been "trying" to get work done but it has not be easy - FYI - the computer connection is much better when the majority of the ship is still sleeping.

The speeds can be quite variable - one of the crew members commented on a shirt I was wearing and I wanted to provide them the information - from the moment of signing on, going to the web site, printing out the information and signing off was almost one hour - it will be quite interesting to see the length of time it takes for passengers to check in on line, esp if they do not have much experience doing so and need to read all the instructions.

There is no need to bring a portable printer if all you are planning to do is print boarding passes - there are many other options, such as:

1) send the boarding pass to your smartphone

2) check in, send the boarding passes to your email and print them out later in the evening when the business center will not be as busy

3) check in on line and obtain your boarding pass from a kiosk at the airport or if you are flying premium or have elite status with the airline, go to the check-in counter to obtain your boarding pass.

Even if you do not print out your boarding pass I strongly suggest that everyone check in on line just to ensure your seating assignment.

gnomie :)

While many people are walking on the 12th deck, I am not keen on doing so because of the occasional slippery surfaces - however, I have been able to increase the step count on my FitBit by walking around the hallways, which I prefer because it is carpeted and there is a handrail if necessary. Unlike the other ships, the layout is such that one can walk completely around the ship on deck 7 or 8. One complete round = 1/5 of a mile and you get the chance to meet all your neighbors. When we first boarded, we seemed to be the only people walking the hallways but now we have others joining us. Due to the narrow hallways, one cannot walk side by side, however, the railing is right there if necessary. Even during the couple of days of bad weather, the walkers were out there, getting in their steps.

gnomie :)

"Thanks to Travelcat2 and Ray of tnr for arranging our Thanksgiving Cruise Critic dinner in Compass Rose. Twelve of us packed the Captain's Table, minus the captain, where the conversation flowed in several directions at once (it's a huge table). A great time was had, although we were missing Z and TB. Get better, Roberto!

The near-unanimous entree choice, turkey and trimmings (vegetarian Ginny was happy with her Vegetable Curry). Missing is the Mango and Cranberry Relish, which was served a couple of minutes later?

Honey-Braised Pumpkin Tart with Soft Marshmallow was a popular pick for dessert. (Making a guest appearance in the background is the Chocolate Charlotte with Vanilla Sauce.)"

Hey Guys

Sorry I missed the festivities for the Cruise Critic Thanksgiving Dinner-- guess my invite went astray??

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Agree with Mr. Rumor's assessment of the PH suites - it would definitely not be our choice. Also, our Grand Suite's closet isn't as large as in the F1/F1 and Concierge Suites.

Went to the Connoisseur Wine lunch and want to post the menu before I get sober:D

Louis Roederer "Cristal Rose" - 2007 Brut - Reims - Champagne - France - ($525) served with: Siberian Caviar and Traditional Condiments and Fresh Blinis.

Served with: Foie Gras Ravioli, Passion Fruit sauce, Chipotle Glaze, Toasted Hazelnuts.

Chateau Cucru-Beaucaill9ou 2EME Cru Class - 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot - Saint Julien - Bordeaux, France ($175)

Roasted Guinea Fowl with Lemon and Thyme Essence, Risotto with Cranberry and Chanterelles.

Marchesi Antinori "Solaia" Toscana GT - 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Cabernet Franc, Tuscany, Italy ($335)

Gorgonzola-Crusted Grilled Black Angus Beef Tenderloin with Amarone Red Wine Sauce, Roasted Potatoes.

Amazing wine and food to match (and incredible service). Cost is $169/person (can use OBC's).

Daniela knows how to throw a wine lunch! We have always enjoyed these, and the opportunity to sample wines we wouldn't ordinarily buy at home.

Sounds great. The ice wines remind me of a great trip we had a good few years ago at Niagra on the Lake on a taste on the seasons wine weekend.

Lovely way to spend a sea day. Jean.

Nice to see people drinking Ontario icewines.

Wendy those wines are very expensive to buy here in the U.K. We are very fortunate to have family in Ontario and have enjoyed a few wine tours at Niagra on the Lake and appreciated the wines and ice wines.

I suppose people will find us lucky to live where we are on the door step of the Speyside Malt Whisky Trail. Jean.

Also, the lack of computers on the Explorer is an issue.

Do you find the iPad in your suite is working OK (and was there as advertised)? We read we should have one in our SS suite, but are thinking of bringing our own to make sure we have one that works. Past dumb question perhaps, but can you take their iPad to other parts of the ship to use it or is it requested to keep it in your suite?

Agree with everything that Mr. Rumor posted about John Barron (especially the description of being a "bit impish"). I believe he will be onboard the Explorer until sometime in January (also happy that his family will be onboard - he is really a family man and having them onboard for Christmas and New Year's will make the holidays perfect for him).

I spoke with John Barron about the noise level. He goes from venue to venue checking the level but sometimes the performers turn up the sound as soon as he leaves. The issue for us is mainly between 6 and 7 p.m. when people are chatting (or trying to) while having a pre-dinner cocktail. As an aside, it seems that younger people (under 50) have been raised with loud music (with and without headphones). As we know, this can do permanent damage to your hearing. So, I'm wondering if the "under 50" crowd will have to increase the sound as they age in order to hear it. Anyway, John is doing his best to keep it controlled.

One week left of this great cruise - enjoying every moment!

I agree that John Barron is very good.

However, there is something strange about the scenario you describe in which performers turn up the sound as soon as he leaves. Someone on the ship has the authority to tell them to keep the music to comfortable levels whether it is JB or someone else. I don't see that the ship's culture permits employees (or contractors) to disobey directives from managers without serious consequences.

My guess is that no one has really decided how loud the music should be and that no one measures the decibel level so it is all subjective. Apparently JB agrees that it is too loud, at least on occasion, or he wouldn’t turn down the music. Overall, it seems like no one is really committed to keeping the sound levels under control or maybe that management feels that the levels are fine.

All I know is that the amplified piano music in the observation lounge in the evening detracted immensely from being able to enjoy the usual food and drink, so much so that we quit going there. Also skipped a couple of shows in the evening because the combination of loud music and sometimes mediocre entertainment made it seem that it would probably not be worthwhile. I have never had a similar experience on other Regent ships.

Wendy those wines are very expensive to buy here in the U.K. We are very fortunate to have family in Ontario and have enjoyed a few wine tours at Niagra on the Lake and appreciated the wines and ice wines.

I suppose people will find us lucky to live where we are on the door step of the Speyside Malt Whisky Trail. Jean.

Yes, we often take for granted our local specialties. Another for us is maple syrup. I've done some of the Whiskey Trail in the eastern HIghlands. Lovely part of the world.

Silver Sweethearts: Assume that they still give iPads to guests in PH and above suites. We did not ask for one as I use my Kindle Fire and small laptop very successfully in our suite. I use the computer in the Business Center during the day which can get really slow on sea days.

CruisetheCs: I think that John almost has the sound issue under control (he does have a decibel meter). Tonight the guitar music was nice and mellow - we were able to talk and have before dinner drinks without having to raise our voices. I did walk by the Explorer Lounge around 7:00 p.m. and it still sounded loud (Nature's Rhythm was playing and actually sound better when the volume is a bit lower).

Sheila: The Thanksgiving dinner was a mix of illness and miscommunication. Since "Z" was ill, he asked Ray to try and secure a table. We don't tend to hang out with the Observation Lounge group much before dinner because we are in a different lounge but go up to say hi. If we didn't, I would not have known about the dinner (no invitations - it was open to anyone that wanted to attend). Anyway, when I learned about it I found out that in order to get the Captain' table you needed to get there early (we were there 5:45 p.m.) We ended up with three tables but only enough people to fill the Captain's table. Certainly did mean to omit anyone.

Tomorrow is our last of the consecutive 5 sea days and Regent is putting on a buffet brunch at 10:30 a.m. It should be yummy (I need more food like I need a hole I my head).

Temperatures remain around 70 degrees. Prior to packing I did check forecasts and averages for the ports we would visit. Nowhere did it indicate the warm temperatures that we are experiencing.

Edited by Travelcat2