Princess Diamond doesn't meet the basics

golf mom

I think it's probably a case of localized bad luck i.e. the OP's specific stateroom. When I read "lost power twice", I took it to mean the ship lost power. Now, I'm thinking the OP means the power went out in the room.

I would take this with a big grain of salt. I've never seen such a report from anyone, especially the Diamond.... there were some very good reviews, recently, of the Diamond. Bill, please report back!

Must of made it up then, silly op

Was on the same cruise in a Dolphin deck mini suite.

Only issue we had was.... we couldn't get the Japanese toilet to turn on but the Steward got it up and running right away. :)

AC & power worked fine for us.

Just returned. Cabin had no air conditioning, lost power twice, toilet didn't work, safe broke twice and had several days with no tv. Air being repaired in March. Rey disappointed in princess. First time on this line. Beware!
I wish the OP would come back to elaborate. I'd like to know if the toilet did not work at all or was just out of order for a little bit of time. It's hard for me to imagine Princess forcing someone to stay in a cabin with a broken toilet for a whole cruise.

We've had most of these problems on cruises--but not all of the problems on one cruise. And everything, fortunately for us, was fixed fairly quickly. Our toilet was out of commission a few hours on one cruise. Our TV on another cruise did not work well for a couple of days--very snowy. I did not bother to report it immediately, but when I did, someone was there shortly and discovered the cable behind the TV had become loose. It took him about a minute to fix it. On another cruise, our safe would not open. We did not discover it until we were about to get off the ship for a shore excursion. Once again, someone came quickly, and we did not miss our excursion.

I wish the OP would come back to elaborate. I'd like to know if the toilet did not work at all or was just out of order for a little bit of time. It's hard for me to imagine Princess forcing someone to stay in a cabin with a broken toilet for a whole cruise.

One word comes to mind......compensation.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

That's interesting. I had a conversation with the maintenance crew at a land resort this year where they told me there are "instructions" on the internet for how to get compensation at hotels, etc. How to clog the toilet so it doesn't look like you did it, etc. They told me they know all the tricks. I wonder if there's a similar thing for cruises. Go make a claim on one of the lists, CC and maybe others, to make it look legitimate. Makes you question some of the one-post complainers we see.

Edited by shredie

That's interesting. I had a conversation with the maintenance crew at a land resort this year where they told me there are "instructions" on the internet for how to get compensation at hotels, etc. How to clog the toilet so it doesn't look like you did it, etc. They told me they know all the tricks. I wonder if there's a similar thing for cruises. Go make a claim on one of the lists, CC and maybe others, to make it look legitimate. Makes you question some of the one-post complainers we see.

Where is BM to set everyone straight?

Definitely must be considered.....

Bob

Looking forward too to this review. May help clear up issues raised by OP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not looking for compensation. The entire 8th floor had air problems. Ship was full. Nowhere to move to. The ship is very old and needs a Reno. There were many other issues other than the cabin. Did not know there was a cruise director till 14 days in. Four great shows, the rest were insulting. Food was good. Rooms are shabby and old fashioned. Not what you expect on a ship these days

"Insulting" shows?

I've been to those insulting shows, like when the comedian picks on a bald guy in the front rows of the audience and makes bad jokes about billiard balls and wax polish etc.

Can't say I like it much either.

Not looking for compensation. The entire 8th floor had air problems. Ship was full. Nowhere to move to. The ship is very old and needs a Reno. There were many other issues other than the cabin. Did not know there was a cruise director till 14 days in. Four great shows, the rest were insulting. Food was good. Rooms are shabby and old fashioned. Not what you expect on a ship these days

Thank you for returning to this thread...

Can you be more specific with your room type and location (mid, aft,...)? Also, which shows were not up to snuff.?

I am not sure if you have sailed Princess before, but they use a very muted colour scheme. Especially on some of the older ships, it can look a bit dated or "yellowed out". Princess has worked hard to bring the newer builds into this century- design wise.

For many of us traveling on the Diamond- there has been a dirth of any information- and we are absolutely starving for details- good, bad, or indifferent. So do, please, dish!

Thank you in advance- and Happy Thanksgiving!

Tracie-Lynn :)

"Insulting" shows?

I took it as they insulted her intelligence...

I was on the same cruise and while I didn't see all the shows I do agree with the OP with one exception the shows were not entertaining. We enjoyed the crew talent show immensely but the rest..... not so much.

Many people walked out in the middle. I actually felt sorry for the husband and wife magic show (I don't recall their name)

Our survey reflected our feelings about the shows on this cruise.

Hmm. Something doesn't add up here. Since ships are subdivided into vertical fire zones, and the A/C systems are separate for each fire zone, problems on the entire 8th deck would indicate problems shipwide, not just on deck 8. I would understand several decks in a fire zone, but not several fire zones on one deck.

Diamond is 12 years old, certainly not "very old" by cruise ship standards, more "middle aged". There are about 50 ships with the major cruise lines that are as old or older than Diamond Princess.

Did not know there was a cruise director till 14 days in.

I've been trying to figure out just what the poster means by this. I'm thinking the poster thinks the CD's responsibilities are different than they really are and is responsible for all aspects of the cruise. OP, in case you don't know, the CD is in charge of entertainment and has no official responsibility for the hotel part of the ship (cabins and restaurants).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by "Shabby & Old Fashioned".....?

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

What do you mean by "Shabby & Old Fashioned".....?

Bob

My guess is since the OP has sailed on one of the newer Celebrity ships and also Holland America those ships are a bit more upscale then Princess. Probably would have liked the newer Princess ships. Just a guess.