Just a little rant about nothing, really...

I've been here since 2002 - the first couple of years under my old screenname - and unfortunately the tenor of the board has always been about the same. The crazy stuff just gets more pronounced since there are so many more people here.

But there is still good info and there are still good folks.

But OMG the Butterfish. I just read that thread for the first time. I was laughing until I cried and cringed.

Just don't cough to hard, espically after a heaping plate of it. :eek:

Edited by A&L_Ont

I understand perfectly what the OP is getting at. I have only just joined this board having just booked my first every cruise. I have read each and every thread mentioned in the post. I agree that if a "newbie" such as myself was not also reading trip reports simultaneously, they would get the impression the Cruise Line was a shadow of its former self and not worth their hard earned money and those cruising on it are a bunch of arrogant multi-point members looking down their noses at newbies. Fortunately, being a member of message board on a number of subjects, I can quickly ascertain temperament of an OP (research the poster), find a contrasting viewpoint (trip report from same itinerary) and keep reading without comment until I feel confident enough to offer an opinion (now).

I found the Original Post to be spot on and very funny for someone in my shoes (newbie).

Thanks OP!

And the bananas near the ketchup!

walrus.jpg

You are not giving the mayo any credit- remember, both the ketchup and the mayo were praised at one point for taking the poor bananas in after they were sent away from the rest of the fruits. It was apparently humiliating for the bananas.

Getting ready to take our annual cruise in January. I am starting to think that I just need to stay off these message boards! Now' date=' I'm worried that 1. Park-N-Go in Ft Lauderdale is awful (I never got a response from the person that posted they were when I questioned their comment), 2. Embassy Suites has bedbugs, 3. the Serenade of the Seas is seemingly looking worn, right down to tattered MDR chairs, 4. the quality of MDR food fleetwide is awful, 5. even though I have the drink package--it seems I will be hard pressed to get a bartender to make me a drink, especially if I don't tip extra, 6. Diamonds and Pinnacles will look down on me because I don't share their status, 7. there won't be any freshly ground pepper on board, 8. my Balcony neighbors will smoke like a chimney with Royal refusing to do anything, 9. the previous occupant of my balcony room will have spent every night sleeping my room's mattress, which he pulled out onto the balcony nightly, and 10. (something I conveniently forgot about)--I am going to be pestered about giving all "5's" on some dumb survey that I usually don't bother with anyway! Seriously, none of these things matter to me. However, I am disappointed that these message boards have evolved into a forum for members to voice complaints and bicker amongst each other. I will continue to weed through the drama, and I will admit that it can be entertaining at times. I miss the days when these forums were packed with tour suggestions, and invitations to meet up for drinks, dinners, or tours. Rant over...[/quote']

You hit the nail on the head. Cruise Critic should be renamed "Neurotics Anonymous."

Getting ready to take our annual cruise in January. I am starting to think that I just need to stay off these message boards! Now' date=' I'm worried that 1. Park-N-Go in Ft Lauderdale is awful (I never got a response from the person that posted they were when I questioned their comment), 2. Embassy Suites has bedbugs, 3. the Serenade of the Seas is seemingly looking worn, right down to tattered MDR chairs, 4. the quality of MDR food fleetwide is awful, 5. even though I have the drink package--it seems I will be hard pressed to get a bartender to make me a drink, especially if I don't tip extra, 6. Diamonds and Pinnacles will look down on me because I don't share their status, 7. there won't be any freshly ground pepper on board, 8. my Balcony neighbors will smoke like a chimney with Royal refusing to do anything, 9. the previous occupant of my balcony room will have spent every night sleeping my room's mattress, which he pulled out onto the balcony nightly, and 10. (something I conveniently forgot about)--I am going to be pestered about giving all "5's" on some dumb survey that I usually don't bother with anyway! Seriously, none of these things matter to me. However, I am disappointed that these message boards have evolved into a forum for members to voice complaints and bicker amongst each other. I will continue to weed through the drama, and I will admit that it can be entertaining at times. I miss the days when these forums were packed with tour suggestions, and invitations to meet up for drinks, dinners, or tours. Rant over...[/quote']

I share your angst! :rolleyes: CC sometimes makes me wonder why I even bother to cruise, but I pack my bags and go, anyway. :D

Edited by travelgoddess1

• 2 weeks later...

Normally I came to this boards to have new ideas and to clarify things that I'm not sure about...regarding to opinions, well, I always wait until I'm on board ... All the dramatic things that I read here (bad food, bad entertainment, bad beds, bad this and that...) never happened until now :) I have so much more things to worry (like the 12 hours flight (I hate to fly.hate :( ).

Thanks for the big laugh!

Getting ready to take our annual cruise in January. I am starting to think that I just need to stay off these message boards! Now' date=' I'm worried that 1. Park-N-Go in Ft Lauderdale is awful (I never got a response from the person that posted they were when I questioned their comment), 2. Embassy Suites has bedbugs, 3. the Serenade of the Seas is seemingly looking worn, right down to tattered MDR chairs, 4. the quality of MDR food fleetwide is awful, 5. even though I have the drink package--it seems I will be hard pressed to get a bartender to make me a drink, especially if I don't tip extra, 6. Diamonds and Pinnacles will look down on me because I don't share their status, 7. there won't be any freshly ground pepper on board, 8. my Balcony neighbors will smoke like a chimney with Royal refusing to do anything, 9. the previous occupant of my balcony room will have spent every night sleeping my room's mattress, which he pulled out onto the balcony nightly, and 10. (something I conveniently forgot about)--I am going to be pestered about giving all "5's" on some dumb survey that I usually don't bother with anyway! Seriously, none of these things matter to me. However, I am disappointed that these message boards have evolved into a forum for members to voice complaints and bicker amongst each other. I will continue to weed through the drama, and I will admit that it can be entertaining at times. I miss the days when these forums were packed with tour suggestions, and invitations to meet up for drinks, dinners, or tours. Rant over...

Just off Serenade 11 day... she is a beautiful ship. We also had high seas going South for two days and she did quite well. MDR chairs were fine.

Bartenders were AWESOME. See Julio in the Castle & Pub and tell him the Blue Moon guy recommended him. Extra cash tips never hurt and I feel they add to my cruise experience.

As I reported earlier. Pepper Grinders where out in full force. They are not on the table but the Assistant Waiter will follow the food and offer as much as you want. Nobody on our table complained about lack of ground pepper.

In 11 days, never smelled smoke on our GS Balcony

Survey has 10 possible answers, give them all 5's then if they pester you.

I really can't address the rest of your questions, no experience

You will enjoy your cruise... Butterfish.

Edited by troykahack

However' date=' I am disappointed that these message boards have evolved into a forum for members to voice complaints and bicker amongst each other. I will continue to weed through the drama, and I will admit that it can be entertaining at times. I miss the days when these forums were packed with tour suggestions, and invitations to meet up for drinks, dinners, or tours. Rant over...[/quote']

Although the tone of this thread is light, some of the stuff I've come across on here has been very off-putting- specifically the comments about other people. Nasty comments about people who pack a lot, those who pack a little, those who drink, those who don't, those who take the elevators, those using mobility aids, those who are overweight, people's clothing, people's political views, people's child-raising methods. I even had a person be rude to me in a thread about onboard knitting. In short, there are a lot of judgy, hateful comments that have nothing to do with having fun on cruises and everything to do with...I don't know? superiority complexes? rudeness?

There's a lot of great info which I really, really appreciate but I've been turned off so much by icky comments I've decided not to go to the meet n mingle.

Although the tone of this thread is light, some of the stuff I've come across on here has been very off-putting- specifically the comments about other people. Nasty comments about people who pack a lot, those who pack a little, those who drink, those who don't, those who take the elevators, those using mobility aids, those who are overweight, people's clothing, people's political views, people's child-raising methods. I even had a person be rude to me in a thread about onboard knitting. In short, there are a lot of judgy, hateful comments that have nothing to do with having fun on cruises and everything to do with...I don't know? superiority complexes? rudeness?

There's a lot of great info which I really, really appreciate but I've been turned off so much by icky comments I've decided not to go to the meet n mingle.

Were the negative comments that you have read on your cruise's roll call thread, or on the main message boards? From past experience I have seen that people on the roll call threads are a much more pleasant group, since they know they will be meeting each other onboard. The anonymity of the main message boards brings out the worst in some people. My suggestion is to go to the M&M.

The comments were on the main message board. Just to clarify, I mean no insult to the people attending the meet and mingles. I just feel generally disheartened. I thought I'd be able to meet nice new people on a cruise, but while I appreciate this site as a source of info, it's made me wary.

jamesboat- I've noticed that there is now a thread where people complain about people who complain about cruises. Unfortunately, this means I am now a person who complains about people who complain about people who complain about cruises.

Edited by gepgelmik

"no one comes to the internet to just say something positive"

Thanks for conveying the feeling of many of us here who just try to enjoy our vacations and not complain about every little thing :) got a good laugh out of it

The comments were on the main message board. Just to clarify, I mean no insult to the people attending the meet and mingles. I just feel generally disheartened. I thought I'd be able to meet nice new people on a cruise, but while I appreciate this site as a source of info, it's made me wary.

jamesboat- I've noticed that there is now a thread where people complain about people who complain about cruises. Unfortunately, this means I am now a person who complains about people who complain about people who complain about cruises.

I too joined cruise critic to learn more about cruising. I have found a wealth of information here. Eventually you learn which posters are the chronic complainers and you learn to ignore them, though at times, it is actually quite amusing and entertaining.

Just like in everyday life, you will meet some very nice people on your cruise and some not so much. Ignore those and have a wonderful time. Your time is what you make of it.