Carnival Raises Bottled Water Prices ... Again

LauraS

I will buy it again. Much easier then carrying water on board even if it was allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same here. Really don't see what's the big deal here. $3.00 a bottle at the hotel we stayed at last night and people were buying them.

Same here. Really don't see what's the big deal here. $3.00 a bottle at the hotel we stayed at last night and people were buying them.

Yes, but I'm sure you were able to bring anything to your room that you wanted (legally) without having your bags x-rayed or searched.

37 and a half cents per bottle. A 51 cent increase. Not enough for me to worry about and certainly not enough to keep me from purchasing it (we do drink the ship's water but take several of these ashore with us).

I agree. Tell me where at a port or even in the states at a store you can get a single bottle for 37.5 cent. I also fill my own cup for on ship and only need the bottles for going ashore. Gladly pay that.

Yes, but I'm sure you were able to bring anything to your room that you wanted (legally) without having your bags x-rayed or searched.

LOL, maybe it's time for the bashers to throw in the white flag on this one..... For the record, is Carnival's policy on water really that bad?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Costco. 10 cents a bottle in multipacks.

I said single bottle! Like walking into a store and buying 1 bottle. Yes I know multi packs are cheaper. I also don't want to lug that large Costco multi pack onto the ship either, when I can get them at a reasonable price on board.

FYI - heading to Costco this morning - love that place! 😃

I said single bottle! Like walking into a store and buying 1 bottle. Yes I know multi packs are cheaper. I also don't want to lug that large Costco multi pack onto the ship either, when I can get them at a reasonable price on board.

FYI - heading to Costco this morning - love that place! 😃

LOL. You never had to bring the whole multipack on board. But now not even a bottle.

Pick me up a Kirkland 40 count please. :)

I will buy it again. Much easier then carrying water on board even if it was allowed.

THIS!!!!

Its about the convenience for us, $4.50 is so worth having it there and not carrying on. We order our soda on ship and have it waiting in the cabin (we dont drink that much soda, we are a water drinking family for most part).

We are on vacation and I do not want to lug all that stuff in addition to our carry on items we already have. I just spent close to $3,000 for the cruise so the added convenience is worth every penny. Yes, we pay for FTTF, totally worth it to us but NEVER cheers, waste of money IMO. We pay cash for the cruise and everything else related to it (cash S&S acct) so we owe nothing. We can afford the added convenience.

I know people that pay $800 to drink on their cruise (cheers-2 people) , pay for the cruise then lug all kinds of stuff onboard to "save" money. Plus charge all of it on a credit card that they will pay for the entire next year with interest. :confused: This, IMO is a total waste of money all the way around and obvious these people (the ones we know that do this) cannot afford the cruise and probably should rethink it. ;)

No surprise here, look for further increases in the near future.

Yeah, it will probably be more than the cruise fare by this time next year. I guess the other way to look at it as they started out with a price that while really cheap, proved unsustainable, and are trying to find the best price point. If the other major players keep theirs (the price they charge for bottled water) where they currently are, you may be right. At the end of the day,we as consumers are the final arbiters on what we are willing to pay.

Yeah, it will probably be more than the cruise fare by this time next year. I guess the other way to look at it as they started out with a price that while really cheap, proved unsustainable, and are trying to find the best price point. If the other major players keep theirs (the price they charge for bottled water) where they currently are, you may be right. At the end of the day,we as consumers are the final arbiters on what we are willing to pay.

Personally I think it's Greed. Say people pay 50 cent extra for water that's pure profits. ;)

Personally I think it's Greed. Say people pay 50 cent extra for water that's pure profits. ;)

Even if what you say is true, so what? I want CCL to be profitable so they will stay in business. If the price point is too high then people will stop buying it. Of course it is also possible that the price increased for them and they are passing it on to the customer (which is also normal business and it is even possible that they tacked on a little extra, which is also normal practice in business).

LOL, show me a business entity that is not interested in profits (including cruise lines.....). That said, Carnival ranks low on the nickel and diming aspect that most of its competitors do....thank heaven.

Exactly like consumer greed when cruisers want something for nothing from Carnival.

How does that work? The customer pays the requested price for their cruise .

Edited by BoDidly

How do you see it as pure profit? Carnival orders it, stores it after it's brought to the ship, delivers it to the cabin.

Just the increased charge. I'm no mathematician but I did go to a different school other than Jethro .;)

I'm perfectly happy with the tap water, but...

The problem is that the new water bottle policy was marketed as no big deal because it came along with a very reduced price for pre-ordering water bottles delivered to your room. Who could complain, when Carnival was actually making it easier and no more expensive than buying them in a store. Now, they're slowly increasing the price, so that each increase is too small to complain about. Eventually, you'll end up with the ban on bringing in your own water bottles AND the old price for ordering bottled water. Maybe this was not their plan, and they just discovered that the cheap price was "unsustainable" or their costs have gone up, but I have a feeling they knew exactly what they were doing. This does not mean the main purpose of the rule was to make money on water -- I'm sure the focus was on liquor smuggling -- but they did want to soft the blow.

Ice tea, lemonade, coffee, hot chocolate, soups, gravies, water served in the MDR, water in a scotch and water...all concocted with ship's water. Bottled water, no mater its source, isn't healthier, doesn't contain less chemicals, isn't a "no sodium" alternative. It is just a convenience.

Worried about what is in "water" bring along a Britta pitcher and a filter (no one will stop you) and a tumbler and make your own bottled water...and you can use it when you get home, too.

Or try these: http://www.thekitchn.com/5-water-bottles-with-builtin-filters-product-roundup-190450

For those of us that lived in a world before disposable plastic bottles we know that it is possible to live without "bottled water"....but, ahh, the younger generation has been programmed and marketed to believe that water is only "good" when it "costs" something. I am sure all the hype has made a nice profit for beverage manufacturers the world over, not just for the "retail" end like a cruise line.

Exactly.

Hi

Just for people that think 35cents a bottle is a good price. Typical sale prices for 500ml. bottles of water is in the 10 cents a bottle range.

That isn't what people are complaining about it. They are complaining about how Carnival had the nerve to raise the price of the case of water $1.50 imagine that! 50% increase, trying to soak every penny out of you. WOW

Spend thousands for a vacation and people think they should complain about an extra few dollars. When Carnival raises prices for their cruise by 50%, then you will have something to complain about. I would imagine that you will then start looking for a product that is a better value. If you are doing that now and find that Carnival is the best value for you, what are you complaining about?

If they can raise the price of water, alcohol, steakhouse dining, or FTTF etc...to make the profits for the shareholders, without raising the cost of the cruise, I couldn't be happier. If there is a better product out there for a competitive price, I will then have a choice to make. That's all you can ask for as a consumer.

Just complaining about prices going up is a waste of time. There are very few things in this world that don't cost more today than they did yesterday, but cruising is one that many people can show is more affordable now than 30 yrs. ago.

just a matter of perspective

have a great cruise