priceline hotel question

dpgirl65

were going out 2 days early the 14th-15th before our cruise leaving port of Miami in Jan. I've bid $85 all stars an pick all the south beach areas and two near the port I started low is there a certain thing I can do to get them to except I been bidding a few times a day as much as they let me, what is anyone get the rooms for in theses areas

Thanks

i had no luck bidding for a room in miami staying over on jan 21 which is a saturday. what i ended up doing was going to the express deals page on priceline and getting a pretty good price for a downtown miami hotel. you don't bid, they show discounted rates for rooms and show their star rating but not the name of the hotel. i got a good rate on a hotel downtown miami and i was actually able to figure out what hotel it was before i booked it by looking at the star rating and amenities and description of the hotel and cross referencing it to pricelines regular list of hotels to book.

I would find a cancel-able hotel you are happy with and book it. Try Hotwire, Priceline Express ect.

Continue bidding and cancel if you get a better deal.

You might have to go higher maybe $125-

IMO you are taking a chance going below 2.5 stars. Unless you are ok staying in a dump.

i had no luck bidding for a room in miami staying over on jan 21 which is a saturday. what i ended up doing was going to the express deals page on priceline and getting a pretty good price for a downtown miami hotel. you don't bid, they show discounted rates for rooms and show their star rating but not the name of the hotel. i got a good rate on a hotel downtown miami and i was actually able to figure out what hotel it was before i booked it by looking at the star rating and amenities and description of the hotel and cross referencing it to pricelines regular list of hotels to book.

And what did you figure out?

were going out 2 days early the 14th-15th before our cruise leaving port of Miami in Jan. I've bid $85 all stars an pick all the south beach areas and two near the port I started low is there a certain thing I can do to get them to except I been bidding a few times a day as much as they let me, what is anyone get the rooms for in theses areas

Thanks

I don't think you are being realistic. If you can snag a South Beach hotel for $85 per night you'd be paying 1/4 of the going rate for that time of the year.

If you get a downtown Miami hotel at $85 per night it's not going to be a Hilton/ Intercontinental / Marriott / Holiday Inn but rather a place a few blocks west of Biscayne at a place that others might be staying at by the hour. If... you know what I mean.

I've used Priceline for years and have only been burned twice. The first time was the first time I tried and bid as much as I could have paid directly to Hilton. The second was when I booked a two star hotel and got La Quinta that was a dump.

I would advise trying the downtown zone. Starting at 4 stars and at least $125. Your $85 isn't going to get you much unless it's a slow time and hotels have a lot of empty rooms.

I would also advise trying the airport zone. You can often get a nice 4 or 3 star hotel for the $85 you are willing to pay. Just remember you will be charged tax and end up paying over $100 for an $85 hotel.

Also, Priceline seems to be changing. There is less inventory in the "Name Your Own Price" and often you end up with nothing. They seem to be pushing you to get an "Express Deal", that they have negotiated with certain hotels. Just watch out. Sometimes they are as much or more than you can get through the hotel site or other booking engines.

I hope you find a hotel within your price range and have a great cruise.

Take care,

Mike

Jan/Feb are peak tourist season with limited to zero availability and sky high rates; $300+ per night for a good hotel in SB is not unreasonable -- $85 is unreasonable.

Do some homework on www dot betterbidding dot com to see recent winning bids and bidding strategy plus info on hotels, areas, etc.

You are completely unrealistic about getting a room in South Beach for $85 in July let alone January. South Beach hotel rooms are very expensive. Two years ago I got a locals rate at The Hotel for $427 a night in February.

I would go to Hotwire and see what they have. You really need to up your budget.

I would be very afraid of ANY hotel ANYWHERE in South Florida in January for $85 per night.

ok thanks I'll try that but maybe i'll try one more bid later

The winter months are our peak tourist season. Your travel dates are over a long weekend (MLK Jr holiday), therefore prices over long holiday weekends are typically higher than other weekends.

Listen to the people familiar with the area. You won't even get a rat hole for $85 in winter months. Double your budget for starters. Then look only at 3 star or higher properties. I wouldn't use a blind site like Priceline. Their areas are quite large and your transportation costs might hurt any value you thought you were getting.

Whoever told you offering a third of hotel rates was possible was unfamiliar with Miami. I wouldn't expect more than a 25% savings in Jan. on PL.

Scary mistakes can happen with poor info.

Edited by eandj

And what did you figure out?

like i said, i looked at the star rating, the area of the hotel, the amenities, and what is around the hotel on the priceline express description of the hotel and then compared it to the list of hotels on the regular priceline site that shows the name of the hotel and the star rating and the amenities, and what is around the hotel. i then figured out that it was one of two hotels that they list. and then by looking at the regular price they offer and then the express rate i determined it to be the intercontinental miami. which is the hotel that i got when i booked on priceline express for $168 + tax and fees which totaled to $217

Thanks everyone for the tips, I took my bid up to $110 one star and was still turn down so I tried Hotwire and got a 3 star at $94 it on ocean ave. great location but a little nerves about the reviews on the hotel its the beach paradise hotel has anyone stay there

I've never used Hotwire....is there a way to get a refund to cancel? I had a reservation and chose not to stay. Be warned....they charge insane "resort" fees for a 1 star hotel not the 3 star they imply. I did not book the room...a friend did. She will be leaving the bookings to me. For the price and quality...I would stay at the airport in a much nicer hotel. FYI....it looks nothing like their website.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I took my bid up to $110 one star and was still turn down so I tried Hotwire and got a 3 star at $94 it on ocean ave. great location but a little nerves about the reviews on the hotel its the beach paradise hotel has anyone stay there

It is in the middle of Ocean Drive. Ask for a room in the back so the partying on Ocean Drive doesn't keep you up.

Just a heads up that a basic room at this hotel will only have one bed, be it queen or double so if you are more than two people, you will have to book another room.

Your rate will not be a room with two beds. I don't think there is a pool at this hotel.

Great location.

Listen to the people familiar with the area. You won't even get a rat hole for $85 in winter months. Double your budget for starters. Then look only at 3 star or higher properties. I wouldn't use a blind site like Priceline. Their areas are quite large and your transportation costs might hurt any value you thought you were getting.

Whoever told you offering a third of hotel rates was possible was unfamiliar with Miami. I wouldn't expect more than a 25% savings in Jan. on PL.

Scary mistakes can happen with poor info.

If you know what you are doing, you can find great rates, but blindly choosing 1 star hotels in a popular area is not a good idea. I have stayed in some excellent 2.5 star and higher hotels in miami (downtown and airport) for around $100 in winter. It is possible but you have to know how to use Hotwire/Priceline deals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app