Currently on the Caribbean Princess

byanks7

With only 110 minutes of internet, a brief note on my experience with Princess so far.

The internet deal is 100 minutes with 10 bonus minutes, not 20 for $69+ . The coffee card is now $31 + gratuity

It’s a beautiful ship! The food is great so far. I love the pool areas, and the big screen with movies and NFL games.

I was anxious to compare Princess with Disney, and the biggest difference I see is with the staff at the dining rooms. On Disney, I perceived the staff’s attitude was “how can I help you?” On Princess I feel like it's, “ how can I make you go away”

Sorry you're having issues with the dining staff. Can you change tables? Only once in my Princess cruising career did I have an indifferent wait person. Usually they are fabulous, and we always do TD with the same staff. (Now that I think about it, one of the best waiting teams we ever had was on Caribbean Princess where Hector the singing waiter was our Head Waiter.)

Edited by shredie

With only 110 minutes of internet, a brief note on my experience with Princess so far.

The internet deal is 100 minutes with 10 bonus minutes, not 20 for $69+ . The coffee card is now $31 + gratuity

It’s a beautiful ship! The food is great so far. I love the pool areas, and the big screen with movies and NFL games.

I was anxious to compare Princess with Disney, and the biggest difference I see is with the staff at the dining rooms. On Disney, I perceived the staff’s attitude was “how can I help you?” On Princess I feel like it's, “ how can I make you go away”

Have a great cruise.

caribbean_bridge.jpg?1481584464915

I was anxious to compare Princess with Disney, and the biggest difference I see is with the staff at the dining rooms. On Disney, I perceived the staff’s attitude was “how can I help you?” On Princess I feel like it's, “how can I make you go away”

Do you have traditional assigned or anytime dining? The few indifferent waiters I've experienced have been with ATD & if in TD do as Shredie recommended & request a different table assignment to see if a table with different waiters is available.

Sorry you're having issues with the dining staff. Can you change tables? Only once in my Princess cruising career did I have an indifferent wait person. Usually they are fabulous, and we always do TD with the same staff. (Now that I think about it, one of the best waiting teams we ever had was on Caribbean Princess where Hector the singing waiter was our Head Waiter.)
Edited by Astro Flyer

We experienced an issue in the MDR with our waiter and assistant waiter the first night of our last cruise. Spoke to one of the head waiters on the way out, and received far better service after. We explained our expectations and they adjusted. Just let them know and they will fix it.

I noticed this more up on the buffet. I was getting my own iced tea when someone finally asked if they could help. I asked one waiter if there was any lemonade and he pointed to the pitcher and told me it was there. I don't mind getting my own drinks but one's attitude when telling me about things is another thing.

I noticed this more up on the buffet. I was getting my own iced tea when someone finally asked if they could help. I asked one waiter if there was any lemonade and he pointed to the pitcher and told me it was there. I don't mind getting my own drinks but one's attitude when telling me about things is another thing.

That's strange. They usually ask people about drinks as soon as your seated.

Wow! Every passenger has their own experience. We just returned from the Caribbean Princess, December 3-11. We only experienced a couple of staff having a "bad" day. Did this ruin our cruise? Yep, right along with a few carpet stains, some rust on a few decks, furniture getting a little frayed, and so help me, I had to ask for a drink in the buffet area.

We had cabin D106/D102. Family suite on the Port side. Thursday before we left, TA called and asked if we would give up E731 and R731 for the upgrade to the family suite plus $$$$. Done! Suite perks were great, room was great. Out of 8 days, we could use the balcony maybe 4-5 days. Rest of the time, wind was a little strong, 30-50 mph. Two nights were really interesting with winds so strong the deck furniture danced more than the entertainment.

Buffet, good. Island Dining room, very good with Caesar and Jun waiting on us the entire week. Crown Grill, good, wait staff a little too high on themselves, food, good. Breakfast at Sabatinis, awesome as was the staff.

Most bar staff, outstanding and we all had the drink package. Worst part of this cruise.........I had to pay $40 for lunch yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale after 8 days of eating with no bill.

Looking forward to our next cruise. It really is what you make of it. Want to have a bad time? Find fault in the little things. Relax, have a drink, and another, and one more for all the folks back home in the cold and snow.

We will be boarding on Saturday. How is the weather? Our forecast looks questionable :(

Teach2cruise4fun -

if you're on the Dec. 17 sailing from San Pedro Pier, hop on over to the Roll Call thread. We're having a meet and greet on the 18th and would love for you to join us all. There will be somewhere between 23-53 people getting to know one another.

Cruising is what you make of it. We sailed in 2014 on the CB, and it was the best cruise experience we have had. Wait staff was incredible, and bar staff in the Aft End bar by the Terrace pool recognized and greeted us every morning. Hubby and I went to the wine bar before dinner every night, and the Wine Stewards were incredible, even recognizing eating patterns (I have a seafood allergy) and without our asking for exceptional treatment, a specialized plate appeared before me while I was enjoying my wine, the wine steward went to the kitchen ,on his own, and brought me a plate of cheese, and did so every time the tapas for the evening was seafood.

Were there unhappy ppl around us? Yes there were, but we were having a wonderful time celebrating our anniversary, and we had a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by lnuzzo

:) Cruising is what you make it! I have no issues getting my own drinks. In fact on Carnival you do get your own drinks. I was just amazed that after walking by my table 5 times, I get my own drink and then they ask if they can get it for me while I'm pouring it myself. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear more about your trip. I miss being on the ship. I'm currently looking at snow feeling post vacation depression.

:) Cruising is what you make it! I have no issues getting my own drinks. In fact on Carnival you do get your own drinks. I was just amazed that after walking by my table 5 times, I get my own drink and then they ask if they can get it for me while I'm pouring it myself. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear more about your trip. I miss being on the ship. I'm currently looking at snow feeling post vacation depression.

There was a time not that many years ago when everyone got their own drinks in the Horizon.

We will be boarding on Saturday. How is the weather? Our forecast looks questionable :(
We were on the CB last week for the same islands you'll be going to (ABCs). The forecast was for rain the whole cruise, according to some people on our roll call. We had a couple of showers late in the afternoon on Curacao and Aruba--after we were back on the ship. The rest of the weather was gorgeous except for a couple of windy days with rough seas.

As to dining room staff, we had two of the best waiters ever in the Palm Dining Room (second seating traditional). Unfortunately we were not as lucky at breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms. A couple of days at breakfast we had an assistant waiter taking our orders. He was inept. At one time, all six of us at the table were missing something--toast for me, bacon for DH, ham for another gentleman, syrup for two people who ordered pancakes, and tea for a woman. I've never seen a waiter get so many things wrong. At another breakfast, the waiter told me that they did not have grits available in the dining room, that I'd have to go upstairs for them. But then he brought me a bowl of grits. The problem that time was that I had ordered them as a side dish with my eggs. The eggs did not show up until more than 10 minutes later.

We were on the CB last week for the same islands you'll be going to (ABCs). The forecast was for rain the whole cruise, according to some people on our roll call. We had a couple of showers late in the afternoon on Curacao and Aruba--after we were back on the ship. The rest of the weather was gorgeous except for a couple of windy days with rough seas.

As to dining room staff, we had two of the best waiters ever in the Palm Dining Room (second seating traditional). Unfortunately we were not as lucky at breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms. A couple of days at breakfast we had an assistant waiter taking our orders. He was inept. At one time, all six of us at the table were missing something--toast for me, bacon for DH, ham for another gentleman, syrup for two people who ordered pancakes, and tea for a woman. I've never seen a waiter get so many things wrong. At another breakfast, the waiter told me that they did not have grits available in the dining room, that I'd have to go upstairs for them. But then he brought me a bowl of grits. The problem that time was that I had ordered them as a side dish with my eggs. The eggs did not show up until more than 10 minutes later.

That's what's so great about the buffet. Get what you want as you go through the line & everything is hot when you sit down. No waiting for toast or looking for the guy with the danish tray. The DR is altogether much to slow - at least for breakfast.

That's what's so great about the buffet. Get what you want as you go through the line & everything is hot when you sit down. No waiting for toast or looking for the guy with the danish tray. The DR is altogether much to slow - at least for breakfast.

And you don't have to be dressed like you would in the MDR after coming in tired from shore excursion.

And you don't have to be dressed like you would in the MDR after coming in tired from shore excursion.

Dressing for the DR doesn't bother me so much. It's the choices of food that attracts me plus it doesn't take 1 1/2 hours to eat a meal. Sometimes you wait 15 minutes to order, 10 minutes to get an appetizer an so on...

The whole process just drags on which seems forever.

If they had the same meals in the buffet on formal night I doubt if I would go back to the DR at all (especially on the Royal & Regal).

Dining in the MDR is not just a food event. Dinner is both a food and a social event which is practiced in a lot of countries around the world. In our neighbor to the south of the USA, they slow down and interact with their dining companions talking about various points of interest like the day's events etc. The act of eating is done at a slower pace to better enjoy the food and companionship. If all you want is to have a feeding frenzy, the HC is the place for you. Americans need to slow down and enjoy life and not race through it.