So you get on the ship for the first time...

zdub86

Will your room immediately be available? Will your luggage immediately be available? If not, how long does it generally take for your luggage and room to become available? Will they make some sort of announcement? We plan to just hang out by the pool or at a bar or grab some lunch when we first board the ship.

Just make sure to keep your carry on with the important stuff with you when you board. Most likely your room will not be ready when you board, and your luggage will take a bit of time to get to your room. Patience is a virtue in this instance.

In the interim, you can tour the ship to get acquainted with where everything is, have lunch, grab a drink, sit by the pool, whatever you feel comfortable with. And most of all, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Will your room immediately be available? Will your luggage immediately be available? If not, how long does it generally take for your luggage and room to become available? Will they make some sort of announcement? We plan to just hang out by the pool or at a bar or grab some lunch when we first board the ship.

Your cabin wont be ready until about 1:30pm. Luggage can be anytime between 2 and 9pm.

One suggestion I have if you have fixed dining. Before anything head down to the main dining room. You will find the Maitre d' holding court for passengers who want to see where they are seated. We do this and has saved us many a time. Last three cruises we asked for a table for eight or ten and got put at a table for six, right off the main aisle.

Thanks!! We will most likely walk around the ship and check out the different restaurants and bars. We chose anytime dining so I'm not too worried about that. I know that's a completely different discussion, but we didn't want to be given a time each evening and then feel like we are being rushed to dinner if we are already in the middle of something else, so we chose anytime dining for the freedom basically.

And luggage between 2-9pm?? WOW!! That's a big gap!!

HAL is Holland America Line. One tip - if you're doing anytime dining, don't be too discouraged by the first night. For some reason that always seems to be the worst night, with everyone wanting to eat at the same time. Possibly plan on eating a little later or going to a specialty restaurant that first night.

HAL is Holland America Line. One tip - if you're doing anytime dining, don't be too discouraged by the first night. For some reason that always seems to be the worst night, with everyone wanting to eat at the same time. Possibly plan on eating a little later or going to a specialty restaurant that first night.

Good advice, thanks!

We are coming up on our second cruise. The first cruise we purchased FTTF and our room was ready when we boarded the ship around 11:45. We were able to purchase FTTF again this time so we will be doing the same as last time. We always carry on all our luggage and we went straight to the room and unpacked and then we walked around the ship and explored and found something to eat until Muster.

What is HAL?? I will be cruising on the Carnival Breeze if that helps answer my questions.

You will need to purchase FTTF (Faster To The Fun) to be able to go to your cabin IMMEDIATELY when you board the ship.

Your luggage will normally be by your cabin door when you return from Muster Drill ... but could be later so if it's not there, don't panic!

Look forward to having a GREAT cruise. :)

Depends on which line you are going on.

You say you have Anytime Dining on Carnival. I have NOT sailed Carnival, but on Royal (My Time Dining) we always board and go straight to the maitre d and reserve for that night. They call it "my time" but if you just show up at "your" time, you might have a bit of a wait. Taking a few minutes earlier in the day has helped us book dinner at a time that also allows us to go to the show (either before or after dinner). Then, each night as we leave, we make a reservation for the next night.

I recognize that Carnival may handle things differently, but this is just my tiny two-cents worth.

You say you have Anytime Dining on Carnival. I have NOT sailed Carnival, but on Royal (My Time Dining) we always board and go straight to the maitre d and reserve for that night. They call it "my time" but if you just show up at "your" time, you might have a bit of a wait. Taking a few minutes earlier in the day has helped us book dinner at a time that also allows us to go to the show (either before or after dinner). Then, each night as we leave, we make a reservation for the next night.

I recognize that Carnival may handle things differently, but this is just my tiny two-cents worth.

Carnival does handle things differently. You cannot reserve dining times in the main dining room. Just show up there when you're ready to eat, and if there's a seat available you'll get it, and if not, you'll have to wait.

Also depends on cabin choice, on some, if not most cruise lines, higher end cabins are ready earlier and have luggage earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not always true. We mostly book Penthouse Suites on HAL. Our luggage tags are marked "priority". Rarely have we gotten our luggage early. We are working like dogs to get everything unpacked after Lifeboat drill and before we go for early dinner.

hello -

My little advice would be to have meds and your shorts/swim suits in your carry on. When flying in on the day of the cruise (from the northeast) we always have our shorts in the carry on that way a quick change and up to the pool for that first toast to our cruise! we always observe those few people stuck in jeans with sweatshirts tied around their waist while waiting for their luggage to show up!

Here is the BEST kept secret of cruising (it is a big one) your on vacation ENJOY yourself! Yes there will be a few little bumps in the road (cruise) let them roll off your back - vacation is what you make it! Just remember you could be working like the rest of us not on vacation at that time.

have a great time!

Randy

Thanks!! We will most likely walk around the ship and check out the different restaurants and bars. We chose anytime dining so I'm not too worried about that. I know that's a completely different discussion, but we didn't want to be given a time each evening and then feel like we are being rushed to dinner if we are already in the middle of something else, so we chose anytime dining for the freedom basically.

And luggage between 2-9pm?? WOW!! That's a big gap!!

They are delivering about 6000 bags so it taking a while.

Similar to what some others have said ... but my suggestion would be to take your swimsuits (if you think you'll want them) and any super essentials in a carry on. Just remember you'll have to carry your carry-ons till you check into your room ... so I'd suggest packing fairly light and/or separately for each person in the group. One small back for each person to carry might be better than a heavy bag that one person has to carry the whole time. Back packs are GREAT for carry-on and for port stops. Of course if you want to, you can wear them for boarding under your clothes ... but I don't really want to be in my through that whole process.

(ETA: make sure every member of your party knows the room may not be ready right away ... I was prepared but my friend was not ... it wasn't too huge of a deal and he wasn't too vocal about it, but I could tell it annoyed him ... I think he may have been a bit less grumbly about it if he'd been prepared.)

Tour the public areas of the ship a little if you want to ... but if possible avoid the hallways that are simply to the cabins ... this isn't a rule but just my suggestion as a courtesy to the staff who are still trying to clean/reset the rooms and deliver luggage. There's nothing 'magical' to see in those areas ahead of time.

Everyone likes something different, but purely from my perspective/limited experience ... here are a few suggestions for the first day.

You can enjoy the pool area ... change in the locker rooms near the fitness facility/gym/spa or in any public restroom.

Enjoy the view/sun anywhere on deck,

If you have kids with you or you love video games, check out the arcade/game room if that is of interest to you.

Avoid the crowds at the main buffet or dinning room and have lunch at a 'snack shop' or 'cafe' type location if your ship has them ... there will be plenty of time for bigger meals later in the trip

If relaxing is a major part of your vacation (as opposed to packing in all the activity you possibly can) then pack your book or magazine in your carry on and just find a deck chair and relax for a bit.

If you love the spa ... now is a good time to do a quick tour and/or take advantage of any 'boarding day' specials ... just booking them for later, or actually having a treatment immediately if you'd like and a slot is available.

Not sure about other ships, but on RC Brilliance there were steam rooms and saunas in the gym/spa locker rooms ... so you could even enjoy those ... but you'd be separated by men/women which might be a bummer this early in the trip if you are traveling with the other.

Edited by Cro_and_Swan